Nice company

GalensGhost

This is from a recent Ask CFN column written by Pete Futiak

Which perennial top 25 program do you think is the most respected and least criticized by the media and college football fans in general? Boston College seems like a candidate to me. - Mike, AL

A: I’m not sure what it means to criticize a program. Places like Michigan, Texas before last year, and Penn State before last year get scrutinized because the expectations are so high, so that might be criticism. BC isn’t under the same microscope. To try to categorize your question, five programs that always get big-time respect and scare the pants off of coaches but don’t have the national-title-or-bust expectations like an Ohio State, Florida State, Auburn, USC or Virginia Tech (to a little bit of a lesser degree) are: 1. Iowa, 2. Texas Tech, 3. Boston College, 4. Georgia Tech, 5. Wisconsin.

That's pretty good company. Good to be thought of in that vein.

I agree, nice company.

I don't know if I would say Auburn has "national-title-or-bust" expectations however. National title, yes, and I think CTT will get us there. But "or-bust"? I believe Auburn fans support their team win, lose, or draw (well, I guess there is no more "draw" in college football). I also believe most of us are realistic enough to know that the MNC depends on a lot of lucky breaks as well as great talent and coaching. I don't think any of us thought 2004 was a bust just because the BCS screwed us. I don't think any of us thought last year was a bust.

"National-title-or-bust" sounds more like an attitude of delusional fans who have created pie-in-the-sky fantasies from some mythological age that can never be lived up to. They cannot see things realistically, nor appreciate what success their team does have. I believe you have to move further west in this state to find that sort of fan.

the whole "NC or bust" mentality is ludicrous anyway. Do people realize how hard it is to win a NC when you play in a real conference? For me it's ATL or bust every year, and if the chips fall our way, we'll get a shot every now and then.... except of course if some ungodly fluke occurs where we have 3 undefeated teams from BCS conferences, but what are the chances of that? :lol:

the whole "NC or bust" mentality is ludicrous anyway. Do people realize how hard it is to win a NC when you play in a real conference? For me it's ATL or bust every year, and if the chips fall our way, we'll get a shot every now and then.... except of course if some ungodly fluke occurs where we have 3 undefeated teams from BCS conferences, but what are the chances of that?  :lol:

247759[/snapback]

I didn't take it that way. I took it as Auburn fans expect to be in contention for the NC and that anything less leaves us wanting.

There are worse crosses to bear.

Archived