Does anyone have any idea...

tarheeltiger

Tex, Gundlach says he was not complaining about athletes at all. What are you saying needs to be fixed?

Athletes were 25%, footballers were 7%. Why did Thamel, disregard what the Prof said and write his own article? Do you think 18 kids, 97 hours over 5 years is really worthy of a frontpage article on the NYT?

These classes were called IS classes. They are not. They are DR classes. Big difference. With Web CT I could teach 100 DR students, no problem at all. With Web CT Vista I can grade 100 projects in almost no time. You really do need to get out of the Democratic Underground chatroom from time to time.

Petee is still teachnig 25/semester even though the lard buttts criticizing him only teach 3-5 per semester. So what are we to do, fire the one guy that actually gives a damn about the students?

Petee was overworking due to consolidation. Criminology and Sociology were combined. The dean was terminally ill. He pitched in to help, the other profs excused themselves to go and play.

Gundlach, was passed over for promotion in 2002 by Ansell. That is where the whining comes from.

The Drake Group? I dont know much if anything about them.

Apparently, after meeting with the Provost, he cut back significantly so perhaps Petee doesn't know his own limits.  David posted about similar situations at other schools, but the numbers of IS per professors still paled in comparison.  They thought one guy was exceptionally high with 27 students.  Petee had almost 10 times that amount.

248574[/snapback]

Over two years. So it's five times.

Irregardless, this situation has already been handled and is being handled internally. The Grundlach smear piece was not necessary and it doesn't substantially change anything. The department has been reviewing this situation since June. Grundlach didn't bother to wait to see what the determinations were.

I have no respect for him as a man.

Every article I've read has professors expressing significant surprise with the number of directed readings Petee did.  I haven't seen anyone else say they've done the same.  Even Petee's mentor, Kowalski, said it was a mistake in judgment because he was too accomodating.  I haven't seen anyone say, "yeah, that's common."

248535[/snapback]

Do you trust the reporter to accurately quote others and express their true concern? Its been shown mathematically (DKW) and by personal testimony (Cadillac) that his other "facts" are pretty far off base, and truths and actuality have been misconstrued. Can you really place trust in the reporter to adequately represent others, when his record of doing so isn't good?

The numbers do seem high to me, but I'm not a sociology professor. I'm an engineer, so a big class to me was 50. I'm not really one to say what is too much, only Petee knows his limits. The NYT guy is perhaps even less qualified than myself to make a judgement on this professor. Now had he visited this scenario among other schools (heck, even other departments within AU) and educated himself on the practice, then yes, he could have provided a more justified arguement. Instead, he comes up with a supposed quote from Petee's mentor. I know my mentor would have no comment to a national media outlet if I slipped up on an issue that should be taken care of in house.

248570[/snapback]

Apparently, after meeting with the Provost, he cut back significantly so perhaps Petee doesn't know his own limits. David posted about similar situations at other schools, but the numbers of IS per professors still paled in comparison. They thought one guy was exceptionally high with 27 students. Petee had almost 10 times that amount.

248574[/snapback]

For the umpteeth time Tex, these are DR classes, not IS.... :no:

Apparently, after meeting with the Provost, he cut back significantly so perhaps Petee doesn't know his own limits.  David posted about similar situations at other schools, but the numbers of IS per professors still paled in comparison.  They thought one guy was exceptionally high with 27 students.  Petee had almost 10 times that amount.

248574[/snapback]

Well, that tells me the problem was taken care of as it should have been, and there was no need for this "huge, scandalous, cover-up at AU."

However, I'm still with DKW. I took a (slanted) history class at AU, and the class was huge - standing room only when everyone was there. I, like many others, didn't go to class except to take the tests (I did ok, I was having to retake it anyways because I lost AP credit when I transferred... moot point). The teacher had no problem providing myself and the 100s of others grades because A) everything was standardized and B) she had a bunch of slaves... err, grad students. Anyways, point I'm fumbling around at is that the number he was dealing with isn't inconceivable if he was using WebCT to grade (which many professors due) or he passed off the grading to some of his TAs (again, which many professors do).

Personally, I think IS courses are great. I learn the material on my own, and often times the professor only serves to assist when needed. That's probably the best way to learn.

And to think...the NYT were the only ones to give us the 1983 MNC after we won the Sugar Bowl @ #3, with both #2 Texas and #1 Nebraska losing. Times have changed (excuse pun)...

And to think...the NYT were the only ones to give us the 1983 MNC after we won the Sugar Bowl @ #3, with both #2 Texas and #1 Nebraska losing. Times have changed (excuse pun)...

248618[/snapback]

After all this I will forever claim 1983, they owe us a Natl Title!!! :big:

248618[/snapback]

I remember a t-shirt at the time, "I (heart symbol) NYT polls!"

Archived