What's up with this?

TexasTiger

Langenfeld, who plays now for the Central Valley Coyotes of the Arena Football League, said Auburn academic counselor Brett Wohlers "found the class for me" after Langenfeld realized he'd been attending the wrong class. Without the change, Langenfeld could have been academically ineligible for the Sugar Bowl.

When Langenfeld read The New York Times story, he was stunned.

Wohlers, the story said, claimed not to recall Langenfeld's situation. It said Wohlers denied seeking out Petee to place athletes in his class.

"He told the paper he didn't know what they were talking about," Langenfeld said. "I couldn't believe it. I'm very grateful for going to Auburn. Now it seems like I'm out here getting my butt kicked.

"I was like 'Why?' I haven't done anything wrong to anybody. I saw that and I couldn't believe it. I'd never even heard of Dr. Petee. I thought independent courses were graduate classes."

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...0530.xml&coll=1

If Thamel took quotes and made them fit his version of the story, that is disgraceful. That's like writing a recap of a baseball game, and only giving the highlights for the losing team, and then not mentioning who actually won so it looks like the team the writer wanted to win. That is not journalism, that's the NYT's standard operating procedure nowadays. I hope the Auburn admin investigates, publicly states that no impropriety existed, and then behind the scenes ensure that no more stories like this are possible.

Langenfeld, who plays now for the Central Valley Coyotes of the Arena Football League, said Auburn academic counselor Brett Wohlers "found the class for me" after Langenfeld realized he'd been attending the wrong class. Without the change, Langenfeld could have been academically ineligible for the Sugar Bowl.

When Langenfeld read The New York Times story, he was stunned.

Wohlers, the story said, claimed not to recall Langenfeld's situation. It said Wohlers denied seeking out Petee to place athletes in his class.

"He told the paper he didn't know what they were talking about," Langenfeld said. "I couldn't believe it. I'm very grateful for going to Auburn. Now it seems like I'm out here getting my butt kicked.

"I was like 'Why?' I haven't done anything wrong to anybody. I saw that and I couldn't believe it. I'd never even heard of Dr. Petee. I thought independent courses were graduate classes."

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i...0530.xml&coll=1

248576[/snapback]

Another personal testimony debunking Thamel... These paragraphs were pretty good:

"The guy took everything I said and put it into his own words," Langenfeld said. "He said it was an easy class and I asked other players and they said it was easy. I never told the guy it was an easy class or anything like that. I spoke to the guy briefly and said I had to go to practice.

"It makes it look like I'm down on my school, like I'm talking bad about Auburn. It wasn't that way."

Langenfeld, who came to Auburn as a junior college transfer in 2003, said he is three semesters short of earning his degree.

"I told (Thamel) I took Dr. Petee as a student but I did real work for his class," Langenfeld said. "I said if I had gotten free grades, I'd have graduated by now."

Archived