Paper contunues to say LSU has QB controversy

DKW 86

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/3406246.html

Just for the record, I agree with geauxscott etc, there is no real qb controversy @ :lsu: This just shows you the effort reporters go to create controversy to sell papers.

Afterall: "The #1 job of a reporter is to sell papers." Paul Finebaum

QB question goes on for Miles

By CARL DUBOIS

Advocate sportswriter

Published: Jul 23, 2006

Advocate staff photo by Bill Feig 

LSU coach Les Miles says returning starter JaMarcus Russell, left, will get the first look at starting quarterback because he has earned it. 

WESTLAKE — LSU football coach Les Miles can’t escape the quarterback question. It follows him everywhere, even on a USO tour of the Middle East last month to visit troops in Kuwait and Iraq.

Late one night in Baghdad, Miles told LSU fans at a Tiger Athletic Foundation tour stop Thursday, a young serviceman asked about the three talented quarterbacks on LSU’s roster.

Junior JaMarcus Russell, the returning starter.

Junior Matt Flynn, the star of the season-ending Peach Bowl.

Redshirt freshman Ryan Perrilloux, the most highly recruited LSU player in years.

An Isle of Capri employee helping serve food Thursday at the TAF event asked Miles a quarterback question. So did a few fans in the audience.

Miles said he returned to Baton Rouge after his eye-opening trip to the Middle East late at night and found his wife, Kathy, asleep.

Her first coherent sentence was, according to Miles: “So, tell me: Who you gonna play at quarterback?”

The grin on Miles’ face left open the possibility the story was perhaps embellished, at least slightly.

If she did, in fact, ask the question, Miles didn’t say how he answered. He gave his stock answer to the TAF audience Thursday, saying all three quarterbacks are capable and that Russell will get the first look because he’s earned it.

Miles answered questions for about eight minutes.

Perrilloux at WR, RB?

No, Miles said, don’t expect to see Perrilloux play wide receiver or running back. He called him a good athlete but said he doesn’t have “Vince Young speed” and is not suited for the other positions.

“He wants to play quarterback,” Miles said.

Alley update

Running back Alley Broussard, who missed the 2005 season because of a knee injury, is “still a ways away,” Miles said, adding he couldn’t predict when Broussard would be at full speed.

He described Broussard’s attitude and work ethic in his rehabilitation program as good.

Alley update II

After saying he thinks Broussard can again be as good as he was in 2004, Miles fielded another query about Broussard’s progress.

“I guess I didn’t do a good job of answering it the first time,” Miles said, eliciting laughter.

“I’d like to say he’ll play in the first game,” Miles said. “That would be my optimistic view.”

Jacob Hester?

Miles answered the two-word question without hesitating.

“Jacob Hester is a fullback and a tailback,” Miles said, stressing LSU fans could see him play both positions this season.

Freshman running backs will also have a chance to play, Miles said.

Punt returns

Defensive back and special-teams standout Daniel Francis was the first player Miles named when asked about replacing return man Skyler Green, who is now with the Dallas Cowboys. Miles also mentioned incoming freshman Trindon Holliday, a speedster who is even smaller than Green.

Luke and the linebackers

Miles said Luke Sanders, who missed the final spring scrimmage because of a knee injury, is progressing “remarkably well” and should be ready for the Sept. 2 season opener at home against UL-Lafayette. Miles said he’ll moderate Sanders’ two-a-day schedule and make sure he doesn’t do too much too soon.

Miles spoke highly of returning starter Ali Highsmith and LSU’s promising group of freshman linebackers.

Last stop

The LSU Tiger Tour 2006 wraps up tonight with a final stop at the New Orleans Hilton Riverside, located at the foot of Poydras Street in downtown New Orleans.

Doors open at 6 p.m., with the actual event scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.

The event is being hosted by the Crescent City Tigers. Tickets are $40 each or $375 for a table of 10.

According to the Crescent City Tigers’ Web site, Miles, men’s basketball assistant coach John Treloar and assistant to the athletic director Dan Canevari are scheduled to attend. LSU radio play-by-play announcer Jim Hawthorne, “The Voice of the Tigers,” will emcee the event.

The Tour began April 18 in Houston and included stops in Lafayette, Alexandria, Bossier City, Monroe, Pensacola, Fla., Dallas, Mandeville, Jackson, Miss., Houma and Westlake.

Tonight’s event is likely to be one of Miles’ last public speaking engagements before preparations begin for the upcoming season.

Friday, Miles and seniors Dwayne Bowe and LaRon Landry will participate in Southeastern Conference Football Media Days in Hoover, Ala.

The Tigers report to campus Aug. 6, begin practice Aug. 7 and take part in LSU Fan Day on Sunday, Aug. 13. The Tigers open the season Sept. 2 at 7 p.m. against Louisiana-Lafayette in Tiger Stadium.

Let them have a qb controversy, remember last time they had two qbs and came to Auburn in 04?

LSU coach Les Miles says returning starter JaMarcus Russell, left, will get the first look at starting quarterback because he has earned it.

I can't tell if this is an exact quote from Miles or just a reporter's interpretation of his comments. Howver, if CLM actually said only that Russell "will get the first look", IMO that sounds like it opens the door for a battle for starter. If there was no doubt, he should have said something more postive like "Russell is our starter" or "The job is Russell's to lose". A mere "first look" doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement at all.

I can't tell if this is an exact quote from Miles or just a reporter's interpretation of his comments. Howver, if CLM actually said only that Russell "will get the first look", IMO that sounds like it opens the door for a battle for starter. If there was no doubt, he should have said something more postive like "Russell is our starter" or "The job is Russell's to lose". A mere "first look" doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement at all.

251255[/snapback]

Agreed. That is the way I read that. I don't see why the job is not Russell's, but then again I'm not a college football coach.

Having a controversy can be either a blessing or a curse depending on the personalities of the players in the controversy. Remember the loaded backfield of 2003 and Brandon Jacobs' public questioning of why he wasn't playing? If the players don't have the maturity to handle it, too much talent can actually work against a team.

I don't know for a fact, but from what I understand Perriloux isn't the most humble guy in the world. The worst thing for LSU is that he sits on the bench and becomes a cancer on the team.

Miles will have his work cut out for him handling these guys no matter how much he plays down the controversy. If he can keep them all motivated and happy, he will have earned his pay.

251255[/snapback]

Agreed. That is the way I read that. I don't see why the job is not Russell's, but then again I'm not a college football coach.

251258[/snapback]

Its politics.... when you have the talent sitting there, you want them to continue to push and push each other. My take....he wants to make sure that Russell doesn't slack off, even for a second, because he knows/thinks he has the job. Also it keeps Flynn and Perriloux happy, by saying "they are in the mix". Also, although Russell appears to be fully recovered from his injury, a shoulder can be re-injured pretty easily. Miles is just making sure that the back-ups prepare as if they are going in on the next snap.

Again this is just what I see, but i think its the general consensus! Flynn played very well in the Peach Bowl, but whos to say Russell wouldn't have done the same or better (if thats possible). Russell has earned this spot and anyone who thinks otherwise didn't pay much attention last year.

About Perriloux being a "cancer"...he's not. He is a very confident guy, with a very competitive attitude. He said some things right when he signed that labeled him "too cocky" but ever since he has stepped foot on campus NOTHING and i repeat NOTHING has come of it. he knows he will have atleast 2 full years at QB for LSU. Some think that should he not get the PT he wants this year he will transfer...that won't happen. He would have to sit out next year and be in the exact same boat as he would here at LSU. He knew what he was getting into coming to LSU.

geauxscott .... the sory i keep hearing is that JR is still overweight for his "assigned-target" weight, and that Fisher/Miles are keeping their options open until JR shows up for fall ball in good shape. truth or fiction?

LSU doesn't have a QB controversy... yet but it could have one very easy. Arizona offers the first chance for a controversy to blossom, defense is told to be the strong suit of the Arizona team. Now granted the D may very well still suck but if they offer the least little resistance to JR then the rumblings will start. In Auburn it has a good chance of growing, if JR struggles some LSU fans will be calling for Flynn. It will be a matter of how many jump on that bandwagon before things get dicey. Now don’t get me wrong I think LSU stands about as much of a chance of losing to Arizona as Vandy does of winning the SEC, but with a less than marvelous performance against Arizona and a lose to Auburn things could go south in a hurry. We are all aware of how many "fans" are convinced they have all the answers and if onyl that idiot head coach would see the light the team would be fixed. :big:

That being said I would like to have the problem LSU has to many talented QB's and can only play one at a time.

geauxscott .... the sory i keep hearing is that JR is still overweight for his "assigned-target" weight, and that Fisher/Miles are keeping their options open until JR shows up for fall ball in good shape.  truth or fiction?

251311[/snapback]

I do know he does need to lose some weight, he apparently put on a few pounds in the offseason when he was going through his surgery and wasn't able to participate very much in the Spring. Last i heard he was in the 260 range (several weeks ago), but for a guy with his hieght that is not odd. I think they want him around 240-250.

But i don't think that has anything to do with it. If he comes in at 270 opening day he will still be the starter. Take a look at this pic, doesn't look out of shape to me, he's just a BIG GUY!

ALSO, just a side note...JR will be wearing the #2 instead of #4 this year.

LAWSHGMMVWMDXAU.20060709025151.jpg

My only concern is should JR stuggle a little, I think many fans will call for Flynn solely based on a one game performance (Peach Bowl)

geauxscott .... the sory i keep hearing is that JR is still overweight for his "assigned-target" weight, and that Fisher/Miles are keeping their options open until JR shows up for fall ball in good shape.  truth or fiction?

251311[/snapback]

I do know he does need to lose some weight, he apparently put on a few pounds in the offseason when he was going through his surgery and wasn't able to participate very much in the Spring. Last i heard he was in the 260 range (several weeks ago), but for a guy with his hieght that is not odd. I think they want him around 240-250.

But i don't think that has anything to do with it. If he comes in at 270 opening day he will still be the starter. Take a look at this pic, doesn't look out of shape to me, he's just a BIG GUY!

ALSO, just a side note...JR will be wearing the #2 instead of #4 this year.

LAWSHGMMVWMDXAU.20060709025151.jpg

My only concern is should JR stuggle a little, I think many fans will call for Flynn solely based on a one game performance (Peach Bowl)

251332[/snapback]

JR sure is sporting some nice colors in that pic ;)

[JR sure is sporting some nice colors in that pic  ;)

251334[/snapback]

Orange and Purple??? Didn't know you were a Clemson fan vatz??? :blink:;):big::big:

251353[/snapback]

The computer here at work is like in "256" color mode on the display.... so it shows up as orange and blue :no:

[JR sure is sporting some nice colors in that pic  ;)

251334[/snapback]

Orange and Purple??? Didn't know you were a Clemson fan vatz??? :blink:;):big::big:

251353[/snapback]

The computer here at work is like in "256" color mode on the display.... so it shows up as orange and blue :no:

251357[/snapback]

yeah i figured.....just messin' with ya

It is often said that the most popular guy on campus is the backup quaterback. I hope that is not true this year.

251489[/snapback]

1404, am I right? There really is no controversy? What do you say?

Archived