Darby chases Tide immortality

DKW 86

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=51214

Darby chases Tide immortality

By Brett Hait, bhait@nashvillecitypaper.com

July 27, 2006

HOOVER, Ala. — Kenneth Darby admitted Wednesday during Southeastern Conference Football Media Days that he has a chip on his shoulder.

The Alabama running back is on the verge of becoming the all-time leading rusher at a school dripping with tradition, but was not a first-team pre-season all-SEC pick. He made the second team behind first-team selections Kenny Irons of Auburn and Darren McFadden of Arkansas.

And he was rubbed the wrong way.

“I’m still surprised,” Darby said. “It’s not something I’m going to let make me mad, but I’m just going to have to prove people wrong.”

If Darby does, in fact, prove his point, Alabama stands a much greater chance of remaining among the nation’s elite in 2006 after finishing 10-2 and No. 8 in the national rankings last season.

Darby is 1,077 yards away from breaking the school career rushing record of 3,565 yards held by current NFL star Shaun Alexander. Darby is also seeking to become the first Crimson Tide back to post three consecutive 1,000-yard seasons.

Alabama needs all the firepower it can get after ranking 67th nationally in total offense in 2005 and losing quarterback Brodie Croyle. The stingy Tide defense, which finished No. 2 in the nation, must replace seven starters.

For coach Mike Shula, the answers are obvious.

“Do we need to get better offensively?” he said. “Yes.”

Darby could become a workhorse while Alabama waits on new quarterback John Parker Wilson to develop.

“If he’s on his game, we’re a much better football team and a much more dangerous football team,” Shula said of Darby. “We’re going to need that every week.

“He’s got the lunch-pail mentality. He’s going to come to work every day. He’s been a guy that’s fought through some injuries, too. He’s got what we need as far as the mentality to play the position and win in the SEC.”

Darby, a Huntsville, Ala., native who rushed for 200 yards against Mississippi State in 2004, expects a heavy workload as he pursues Crimson Tide immortality.

“I feel like I’m going to have the same role I had last year, just a little more,” he said. “I really don’t dwell on records. I dwell on winning football games and being productive in the game we’re playing that week.”

That’s why the Tide might continue to roll. 

The Alabama running back is on the verge of becoming the all-time leading rusher at a school dripping with tradition, but was not a first-team pre-season all-SEC pick. He made the second team behind first-team selections Kenny Irons of Auburn and Darren McFadden of Arkansas.

252669[/snapback]

:puke:

Darby's a good guy and a hard worker. Id love to see his numbers behind the Oline Shaun had.

252694[/snapback]

SA helped his o-line out as well. It would be hard to name a running back better than him at setting up blocks.

I feel dirty now.

Darby's a good guy and a hard worker. Id love to see his numbers behind the Oline Shaun had.

252694[/snapback]

SA helped his o-line out as well. It would be hard to name a running back better than him at setting up blocks.

I feel dirty now.

252701[/snapback]

Dont feel dirty, Caddy and RB did the same with AU. AU, had a great o line that year....but they did run the right plays and bounched it out when needed. I agree too, SA really helped out the o line in 1999. He also ran behind that monster Chris Samuels about 90% of the time. I think I could run the football behind him. Actually, I could stand behind him and no one would see me.

How great would it be if we could send UAT's all-time leading rusher out with a 0-4 record against Auburn? :big:

How great would it be if we could send UAT's all-time leading rusher out with a 0-4 record against Auburn?  :big:

252759[/snapback]

boo

BTW the tiger in in your sig......the N.......looks like he is sucking his thumb.

shaun has also had the privilege of running behind a great line his whole life (at least since college). he is a very good running back, but he's not what the numbers say he is. darby is just as solid as shaun was in college.

shaun has also had the privilege of running behind a great line his whole life (at least since college). he is a very good running back, but he's not what the numbers say he is. darby is just as solid as shaun was in college.

252768[/snapback]

Yeah, that's why he(Shaun) breaks records at every level. :rolleyes:

BTW the tiger in in your sig......the N.......looks like he is sucking his thumb.

252762[/snapback]

He's just keeping it nice and warm until November!

but he's not what the numbers say he is

I would agree if he only did it one year...but he's been rockin it for 6 in the league now...breaking records left and right.

IMO, alexander was the best player to come out of the conf from the mid 90s until last year, incl. the mannings. In the 2nd half of the 99 IB, they just gave him the ball over and over and over and over.......until they were ahead.

He's a stud and with a comparable oline, Darby would be too. I would have voted him first team along with irons.

I had no idea Irons was going to be the runningback that he is. USC is kicking themselves right now. I really did think that Auburn was going to struggle last year running the ball. Does anyone feel like the injuries to the other RBs last year helped Auburn's running game. It definately gave Irons the majority of the carries last year. How does Auburn's depth look at the postion this year? Will Fannin get alot of carries this year?

I had no idea Irons was going to be the runningback that he is.  USC is kicking themselves right now.  I really did think that Auburn was going to struggle last year running the ball.  Does anyone feel like the injuries to the other RBs last year helped Auburn's running game.  It definately gave Irons the majority of the carries last year.  How does Auburn's depth look at the postion this year? Will Fannin get alot of carries this year?

252833[/snapback]

Well, I told my brother that spring that Irons SHOULD be the man...and when he didn't start, due to his lack of blocking skills, I was VERY surprised. But he got it all sorted out...and the rest is history. :) I get lucky once in a while.

:au::homer:

UA-CT, CTT was being very loyal to Tre Smith to start him against :gt:

Kenny wasnt blocking welll enough to get the nod even then.

But if you asked anyone at the Springgame that year, Kenny was THE Stud.

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=16194&hl=

Archived