Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe

DKW 86

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/edito...ore-green_x.htm

Is anyone even surprised by Al Gore's hypocrisy anymore?

Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe

Posted 8/9/2006 9:57 PM ET

By Peter Schweizer

Al Gore has spoken: The world must embrace a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." To do otherwise, he says, will result in a cataclysmic catastrophe. "Humanity is sitting on a ticking time bomb," warns the website for his film, An Inconvenient Truth. "We have just 10 years to avert a major catastrophe that could send our entire planet into a tailspin."

Graciously, Gore tells consumers how to change their lives to curb their carbon-gobbling ways: Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs, use a clothesline, drive a hybrid, use renewable energy, dramatically cut back on consumption. Better still, responsible global citizens can follow Gore's example, because, as he readily points out in his speeches, he lives a "carbon-neutral lifestyle." But if Al Gore is the world's role model for ecology, the planet is doomed.

For someone who says the sky is falling, he does very little. He says he recycles and drives a hybrid. And he claims he uses renewable energy credits to offset the pollution he produces when using a private jet to promote his film. (In reality, Paramount Classics, the film's distributor, pays this.)

Public records reveal that as Gore lectures Americans on excessive consumption, he and his wife Tipper live in two properties: a 10,000-square-foot, 20-room, eight-bathroom home in Nashville, and a 4,000-square-foot home in Arlington, Va. (He also has a third home in Carthage, Tenn.) For someone rallying the planet to pursue a path of extreme personal sacrifice, Gore requires little from himself.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.

Gore is not alone. Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean has said, "Global warming is happening, and it threatens our very existence." The DNC website applauds the fact that Gore has "tried to move people to act." Yet, astoundingly, Gore's persuasive powers have failed to convince his own party: The DNC has not signed up to pay an additional two pennies a kilowatt hour to go green. For that matter, neither has the Republican National Committee.

Maybe our very existence isn't threatened.

Gore has held these apocalyptic views about the environment for some time. So why, then, didn't Gore dump his family's large stock holdings in Occidental (Oxy) Petroleum? As executor of his family's trust, over the years Gore has controlled hundreds of thousands of dollars in Oxy stock. Oxy has been mired in controversy over oil drilling in ecologically sensitive areas.

Living carbon-neutral apparently doesn't mean living oil-stock free. Nor does it necessarily mean giving up a mining royalty either.

Humanity might be "sitting on a ticking time bomb," but Gore's home in Carthage is sitting on a zinc mine. Gore receives $20,000 a year in royalties from Pasminco Zinc, which operates a zinc concession on his property. Tennessee has cited the company for adding large quantities of barium, iron and zinc to the nearby Caney Fork River.

The issue here is not simply Gore's hypocrisy; it's a question of credibility. If he genuinely believes the apocalyptic vision he has put forth and calls for radical changes in the way other people live, why hasn't he made any radical change in his life? Giving up the zinc mine or one of his homes is not asking much, given that he wants the rest of us to radically change our lives.

But the writer didn't count the 100,000,000,000,000 trillion green points that Gore scores for inventing the internet. Imagine all the carbon that has been saved by people using computers instead of out burning carbon based fuels. Gore can fly around the world a hundred thousand times in his private jet and still be ahead of everyone else, so leave the poor guy alone, he has a planet to save!!!

I think it was Mark Twain who said, "Nothing needs reforming like somebody else's vices." The beauty of liberlalism is the absence of any practicing what you preach. Gore is the proto-typical liberal.

I think it was Mark Twain who said, "Nothing needs reforming like somebody else's vices." The beauty of liberlalism is the absence of any practicing what you preach. Gore is the proto-typical liberal.

:thumbsup: Gore is the proto-typical liberal. Yes he is... :yes:

He's still smarter than Bush, not that that would be hard to measure. My cat is smarter than Bush.

Your cat has left things in the litter box that is smarter then his master. :big:

He's still smarter than Bush, not that that would be hard to measure. My cat is smarter than Bush.

Riiiiiiight, a man that has flown fighter jets, made millions in the private industry, and gotten himself elected as the President of the United States of America twice is not as smart as your cat. Regardless of what you saw in the movie Forrest Gump, no one can stumble on this kind of success without being smarter than your cat...

Riiiiiiight, a man that has flown fighter jets, made millions in the private industry, and gotten himself elected as the President of the United States of America twice is not as smart as your cat. Regardless of what you saw in the movie Forrest Gump, no one can stumble on this kind of success without being smarter than your cat...

He also has a Yale under grad and and an MBA from Harvard...But hey, Maybe Petee was teaching up there then or stuff...

Bush made the lowest acceptable pilot aptitude score and lept over others on the waiting list. Then he was grounded and never flew again. He never made millions in private industry. He couldn't find oil in Texas. Then he got a sweetheart deal with little responsibility solely b/c o his name and made millions off of the taxpayers of the Arlington area. He never accomplished a damn thing on his own until he was packaged as a candidate by Karl Rove.

He also has a Yale under grad and and an MBA from Harvard...But hey, Maybe Petee was teaching up there then or stuff...

And he was rejected by the University of Texas School of Law because they had actual standards that privilege and position couldn't necessarily overcome if someone's record was as pitiful as his. Harvard Grad just took Bush's valet, even though he never graduated from college.

Your cat has left things in the litter box that is smarter then his master. :big:

Tigermike: "Things that is smarter..."

Bush: "Is our children learning?"

Tex, you are obsessed.

What are you and the Whackadoos going to do when there is no Bush to hate?

Tex, you are obsessed.

You're funny. I didn't bring him up. I replied to you obsessed Bush apologists/excuse makers. You are obsessed with hating Dems with little or no power. Gore is one of those. Pay attention to this key difference: you posted about the guy who DID NOT become President in 2000. I post about the guy who did and still is. So even though there is no Gore in office to hate, you still do!!! Had Bush not become President in 2000, you would not have heard a word from me about him. I post about the guy in power because his actions are obviously the most relevant. You post about people you hate, no matter how irrelevant they are.

You'll be slapping around Teddy K. long after he's dead. I'll pray for you so that God might soften the hatred in your heart.

Tex, you are obsessed.

You're funny. I didn't bring him up. I replied to you obsessed Bush apologists/excuse makers. You are obsessed with hating Dems with little or no power. Gore is one of those. Pay attention to this key difference: you posted about the guy who DID NOT become President in 2000. I post about the guy who did and still is. So even though there is no Gore in office to hate, you still do!!! Had Bush not become President in 2000, you would not have heard a word from me about him. I post about the guy in power because his actions are obviously the most relevant. You post about people you hate, no matter how irrelevant they are.

You'll be slapping around Teddy K. long after he's dead. I'll pray for you so that God might soften the hatred in your heart.

I started a thread about the guy that is running for President in 2008 and is getting praised for his greeness. I am definitely greener than most on this board. I feel the idiot is making the green folks look like total morons.

I am upset because the Al Gore of 1988 I supported and would have supported again.

I have thought from day one in the Clinton Adm. that he is nothing but a hipocrit. He flipflopped on Abortion, Education, etc. He went from being openly pro business to being probusiness while he smashes everything about business every minute of every day. He went from being a man in 1988 to being a pathetic flipflopping liberal weinie to afraid to stand permanenetly for anything.

I am mad as hell at Gore for betraying the folks that spend their time and money supporting the greener view of life. He is the worst of political animals. He is a political fashionista. He says he believes in whatever is fashionable at the moment, just like Kerry I might add. Hipocrisy is Gore's addition to the national debate.

I am sure it was a sad day in the household of George HW Bush when GW Bush learned that his application to the University of Texas was denied, and he had to fall back on an Ivy League School for his MBA.

I am sure it was a sad day in the household of George HW Bush when GW Bush learned that his application to the University of Texas was denied, and he had to fall back on an Ivy League School for his MBA.

Who knew that Texas was more prestigious than Yale ? Is this another Dan Rather story, where you know the facts to be true, even if you can't prove them?

Archived