Shula sets poor example

saniflush

Link

Shula sets poor example

By Tony Barnhart | Wednesday, September 6, 2006, 03:55 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

In my work I have been pretty positive about Mike Shula since he became the head coach at the University of Alabama.

When the fans and media took their shots at Shula’s nervous performance in his first press conference, I said that you have to let a new coach grow into the job.

When Alabama lost at home to Northern Illinois in 2003 I reminded people that the MAC gives scholarships, too. I have repeatedly said that if school officials weren’t willing to give Shula five years to rebuild the program, given the mess that it was in, then he shouldn’t have been hired in the first place.

Every time I am asked about Mike Shula I have described him as a young, talented coach who has learned how to surround himself with very good people. After going 10-2 last season, I have predicted that Alabama would go through a transition year in 2006 and have a very good chance to win the SEC championship in 2007.

In short, I have been overwhelmingly positive about Mike Shula and his handling of the Alabama football program since he took over in 2003.

But not today.

Today we part company. Today I am sad for Mike Shula and I am sad for the great football program at the University of Alabama.

Earlier this year linebacker Juwan Simpson was arrested for marijuana possession and for having a stolen handgun.

Faced with alcohol-related transgressions from some players, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville handed down game suspensions, the only penalty that really matters, back in July.

Tarell Brown, a three-year starting cornerback at Texas, committed the exact same infraction - a gun and some pot in his car - on Monday. Coach Mack Brown didn’t hesitate after getting all the facts and by Tuesday had suspended the player for Saturday’s big game with No. 1 Ohio State. Given the fact that Ohio State’s best player is a wide receiver, that decision could cost Texas the game and a shot at the national championship.

Juwan Simpson, who reached a plea agreement on his charges, played for Alabama last Saturday against the University of Hawaii.

Let’s make this clear. Mike Shula is the head coach at Alabama and had every right to handle the situation the way he did. I personally believe that when college athletes break the law, as opposed to team rules, the athletics director and president should make the final call on punishment. I assume they were in the loop here.

But I can tell you that from a national perspective, Alabama’s program has taken a hit on this one. Alabama didn’t need Juwan Simpson to beat Hawaii and the greater good - and image - of the program would have been better served by sitting him down. In today’s culture, “in-house” discipline or running the stadium steps at dawn is no longer sufficient. It simply sends the wrong message and too many coaches (like Tennesee’s Phillip Fulmer) have had to learn that lesson the hard way.

I’m an outsider, I know. I can only tell you that from the outside this looks like a bad decision that may help Alabama football in the short term but hurt its public image in the long haul. And given what the school has gone through the past 4-5 years, the last thing Alabama needs is a public relations hit.

And it just wasn’t necessary. That is what’s so sad.

This article is right on. Perception is reality. People's perception of the uat football program are going down the tubes FAST, and Sheila does not care.

The reminders of the 2000 season grow every day now. A bad loss or two and the wheels COULD come off.

Dubose was ruined because he couldnt run his team as he knew it needed to be run. I have an eerie nauseating feeling the same thing is happening to Shula right now. Boosters running the show wont work in the long run. Just ask Mike Dubose.

It wasnt little Debby that destroyed him, it was boosters that meddled in his program that killed him off.

Anyone want to chime in here...

1) What kind of car was it?

2) Who owned the car Simpson was arrested in?

3) Was the pot his?

4) Who is the girl that was arrested with him? Was she really partly undressed when they were pulled over?

5) Is her Daddy really a huge RE?

6) Is he the one driving this cover up?

7) Where is the police record on this?

8) Why have we not seen it?

9) Why has no reporter dug it up?

There are a lot of questions that just arent going away and the coverup seems to be slowly coming apart...

i broke my vow and listened to paul farthead today(i wore a body condom)....there was a lot of subtle information passed on this show today and it sounds like there are some major problems at the crapstone....if what i have heard today is anywhere near accurate, and again i want to make it clear that this is all gleaned from the "2+2" scenario, there are some serious issues that are going to rear up at the crapstone before long.....these issues concern things similar to the eric ramsey mess, only the tables are turned and we will be on the laughing end this time......very promising

This article is right on. Perception is reality. People's perception of the uat football program are going down the tubes FAST, and Sheila does not care.

Circle remember we are so close to the wreck we can't see the skid marks. Outside this neat little world

called Alabama, uat is seen in reality, an arrogant, holier than thou, we invented football,

it can't exist without uat.. program. In truth it has not added anything positive to college football in 15 years. The joke of the SEC is uat.

Circle remember we are so close to the wreck we can't see the skid marks. Outside this neat little world

called Alabama, uat is seen in reality, an arrogant, holier than thou, we invented football,

it can't exist without uat.. program. In truth it has not added anything positive to college football in 15 years. The joke of the SEC is uat.

Over the last 15 years, eh?

National titles: Alabama- 1; Auburn- 0

SEC titles: Alabama-2; Auburn-1

Boast about the past 4 seasons all you want. 15 was a bad number to come up with on your part.

Carry on... Let's try to keep this thread out of the woodshed.

Face it. This is not just a bunch Agbarners piling on Bama every chance we get. Sure, when you handle something the way CMFS has handled (Or not handled) this situation, you're gonna' hear it from your rivals. Did we hear it for weeks after the NYT article from Baymers. Absolutely! But, this is not some Allburner spouting off about it's rival. This is what the national perception of this program has quickly become.

Yeah, kindergartners in China are talking about what a poor disciplinarian Shula is. He probably won't be around to reap the misfortunes of sweeping pile after pile of mud under the carpet. Whomever follows him will be like tubby, spending more of his first years in the courthouse cleaning up the previous coaches messes than on the practice field.

Boast about the past 4 seasons all you want. 15 was a bad number to come up with on your part.

{Doesn't get it -- he's still thinking "tradishun" trumps all.}

We need a WHOOOOOSH emoticon to display when the point goes supersonic overhead. :no:

National Championships are all mythical and only cared about by the programs at... Alabama and USC.

Yes, I see your point - it may have been a bad # - but here is another stat:

Undefeated Seasons: Auburn - 2; Alabama - 1

Not true at all. AU is proud of the 1957 NC (as you should be).

To say "we don't care about national titles" is crap. You know you do... :)

We need a WHOOOOOSH emoticon to display when the point goes supersonic overhead. :no:

He said over the past 15 years. He provided the time frame, and I provided the rebuttal. :)

He said over the past 15 years. He provided the time frame, and I provided the rebuttal. :)

OK, then let's use 14 years. Whatever dude, the point is that tradishun doesn't trump discipline, recruiting, coaching, etc. No matter what the Tide did in 1992, their coach and school just took a huge PR hit that is much more than just us Barners jabbing the Bammer fans a little.

Archived