Concerns/observations from msu game

eagle76

If it was hot in the upper deck, it must have been hotter on the field.

AU got to play many players.

Offense and defense showed nothing to lsu. We played very vanilla.

Several concerns--

O-line did not have a good push against large msu d-line. Inside running game was shut down. Our spped around end was good.

Msu used our d-line spped against us with cut-back runs and draws. Still some missed tackles.

Cox keyed on CT. Several times, other receivers were far more open and he still passed to Taylor. lsu will be keying on him so we better be looking to the other receivers.

One fumble is way to many and we had WAY, way too many.

Overall, a very good game but plenty still to work on. I'm sure CTT, CAB, and CWM will have much more more lsu to see next week.

First, kudos to MSU defense in the hardnose defense they played. I was as very impressed with their attitude, persistance, and spirit late into the game. The philosophy and mentality of a good football team is there.

My concern was the number of times MSU was able to get 7-8-9 yards on first down. I don't know if they are that strong on the front line or if we were having trouble with blocking schemes but it was a concern.

I was very impressed with the defensive mentality of the Auburn defense, especially the headhunting I saw from DB's and LB's.

Actually, I have no concerns.

Second game of the season and we have scored 74 points in those two games while only allowing only 14 points in those two games.

Our field goal kicker, Vaughn, has set career highs in both games. I can see him attempting a 60 yarder if need be. Our placekicker, Clark, is kicking everything into the back of the endzone. Our punter, Bliss is averaging around 45 yards a punt.

I don't care how many times we throw to Courtney Taylor. If he is open and Cox is connecting with him, then that is fine with me. Most NFL QBs have one receiver they key on and everybody else is their second choice. Besides Cox has shown his is smart enough to dump off to Lester or throw the ball out of bounds instead of forcing his passes.

Yes, we had turnovers that would hurt us against LSU. But those are easily fixed, so I am not concerned about our turnovers that much.

Mississippi has a pretty big D-line and CTT knew that coming in. CTT even anticipated the running game not being that effective, thus the passing game was worked on. That tells me that our coaches, especially Borges, knows how to properly prepare for any type of defense and also knows how to adjust during the game.

Our young secondary is coming along nicely. Not perfect, but better then I thought they would be by this time.

The only thing standing out to me that I would like to see changed is the punt return situation. I think we are not showing any improvement there and I would like to see Tristan Davis have a shot at it. He has already shown what he can do with the few kickoff returns he has made. The dude can fly!!!!

AU seemed susceptible to underneath passes and the middle of the field seemed soft still. Gave up too many plays in there.

MSU seemed to be able to get outside on some sweeps, too, but the RB would hesitate instead of taking the lane. LSU's backs won't stutterstep.

If LSU loads up to stop Kenny, I think AU proved that it won't be enough. Got to play honest and that will mean some holes for Kenny and some open field for CT, Dunn, PR and the rest.

The only thing that bothered me were runs up the middle between the tackles. AU will have to stop

those runs next week.

I don't know what to think about our o-line. I like to think Tubbs didn't want to show anything such as

blocking schemes etc...... We'll find out next week.

I have a few concerns on both sides of the ball, but I can't help but wonder how much our playbook and defensive schemes were "dumbed down" for the first two games.

LSU looked pretty impressive against Zona. There should be no doubters that next week will decide who plays in Atlanta in December.

One sequence of plays really bothered me there, at the end of the first half.

Auburn, with 1:57 to go in the half, intercepted a pass with David Irons and the AU offense, starting with two Irons runs, had a first down at their own 38, 1:14 left.

Cox to Lee Guess for 9. Cox to Taylor for 2, then back to Taylor for 14 more.

Auburn's rolling, has only one time out left and only :40 or so on the clock.

First and 10 from the 36 - do you keep passing, since Cox is 3/3 on the last 3 plays?

Nope. Borges runs a draw up the middle with Tre. Loss of two. Second and 12, AU burns its last time out. It's not that Tre was in the game there, it's that you run the ball. The only thing Auburn could have done on that play is get out of bounds (which isn't going to happen on a draw) or get a first down to stop the clock. We did neither.

On second and 12, we dump it to Tre over the middle after the timeout. Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. Cox spikes the ball with :12, we fail to run out the FG unit in time (delay of game) and then John Vaughn played the role of Superman.

We MUST have better game/time management this week.

The only thing that bothered me were runs up the middle between the tackles. AU will have to stop

those runs next week.

Which is exactly why I hope Blackmon and Sears will be back next week.

I have a few concerns on both sides of the ball, but I can't help but wonder how much our playbook and defensive schemes were "dumbed down" for the first two games.

LSU looked pretty impressive against Zona. There should be no doubters that next week will decide who plays in Atlanta in December.

This is the chess match part of the game. Ideally you always want to have some aspect of your O that your opponent hasnt seen and therefore will not be ready for. I surmise that we have "dumbed down" both the O and D. If the staff thinks we can beat WSU and MSU without showing what is in store for LSU, the more the better.

Borges likes to get out ahead early. Look for us to run the bunch set early and often against LSU. I fully expect CWM to run some stunts on D that we have not seen hide nor hair of so far.

One thing I like about CWM is he is as creative as Bro. Oliver. The other thing is that he is young enough to be around a long time.

THINK: If we can beat LSU without Sears and Blackmon, who will really have a chance to beat us WITH them? Our D should be almost unstoppable with confidence and talent if we win AND then they return.

My only concern is the"punt return situation". Dunn couldn't do anything special...to make matters worse he fumbled the ball against MSU...Tristan Davis/Lester would be a good fit...

Archived