Article concerning Jacobs trying to schedule

Tiger1992

Why do we get penalized by the nation because our Out of Conference schedule looks weak when they don't have all the facts? Scheduling conflicts happen to most teams all the time, but people grill Auburn about it without holding other schools to the same standard. Seems pretty unfair to me.

If not the big boys, there are a couple of decent mid-majors I wouldn't mind seeing: Fresno State for one. HC Pat Hill has said he's willing to go anywhere. This year they're scheduled to play LSU. TCU is another one that would be a good game. UTEP with Mike Price would be good strictly from the standpoint of bammie antagonization ( :poke: ).

Yeah, you don't have to restrict yourself to BCS conferences to get a decent team in here. There's Fresno State, Utah, BYU, Boise State, TCU that I can name right off the bat. Some team from the Mid American Conference. Have they conteacted the Big East (lower tier of the BCS leagues)? You're telling me you couldn't get Pitt or Rutgers in here?

I realize none of those have the spice of Penn State, Michigan or Notre Dame, but any of them beat the hell out of Arkansas State or Buffalo.

Did you catch this part:

The Pac-10 has added a ninth conference game, a move that has all but knocked that conference off the board. Most teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference are playing it safe since Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech joined the league. Most Big 12 teams aren't interested in giving up a home game.
So the SEC catches flak for not playing a tough enough OOC schedule, but the PAnsy-10 adds a ninth conference game to help them avoid OOC teams. Winning the SEC Championship undefeated won't get you to the BCS final, but how long will it be before doing the same in the PAC-10 guarantees a spot in the BCS MNC berth? :angry:

Did you catch this part:

The Pac-10 has added a ninth conference game, a move that has all but knocked that conference off the board. Most teams from the Atlantic Coast Conference are playing it safe since Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech joined the league. Most Big 12 teams aren't interested in giving up a home game.
So the SEC catches flak for not playing a tough enough OOC schedule, but the PAnsy-10 adds a ninth conference game to help them avoid OOC teams. Winning the SEC Championship undefeated won't get you to the BCS final, but how long will it be before doing the same in the PAC-10 guarantees a spot in the BCS MNC berth? :angry:

That's not the reason. In years past, the PAC-10 has only scheduled 8 in-conference opponents which meant every team always didn't play one of their own. It always seemed to lead to shared & co-champion situations. Playing all 9 conference opponents now gives them a better picture of which team is the real champion.

Did you catch this part:

That's not the reason. In years past, the PAC-10 has only scheduled 8 in-conference opponents which meant every team always didn't play one of their own. It always seemed to lead to shared & co-champion situations. Playing all 9 conference opponents now gives them a better picture of which team is the real champion.

I applaud the PAC-10 for playing everyone now. Otherwise the championship means nothing. The only conferences that SHOULDN'T have a conference game are those in which each team has to play one another.

Texas is looking for a home opp. on 9/1. That would give Auburn 5 road Games.. LSU< UGA< UTexas< UF, UArky.

Think we can handle it? Write some letters then.

Texas is looking for a home opp. on 9/1. That would give Auburn 5 road Games.. LSU< UGA< UTexas< UF, UArky.

Think we can handle it? Write some letters then.

first off, Jacobs isn't looking for a tough away game. We need another home game with that away schedule.

also, Texas just got done with their home and home with OSU. I'm sure they probably want to calm their OOC schedule down a little.

Oklahoma State, UAB, Baylor, Texas Tech, Wake Forest, Duke, Troy

Jacobs will find someone.

Auburn will never play UAB. Nothing to gain by beating the second best team in the state.

Now, UAT could drop the Hawaii rivalry they are trying to get started. Auburn pick up Hawaii, and UAT could pick up West Alabama.

I say we play 11 conference games and one easy victory game (either a week OOC or Bama twice) for homecoming.

I would love to see us pick up both Troy and UAB. I understand the "We're in a no-win situation" theory concerning playing those two. But, let's face it, if we're one of the top programs in the nation, we should beat both of them handily 10 out of 10 times. If we don't beat them, the world is not going to come to an end and we'll never be out of the loop for top recruits in this state.

With these OOC "Cupcakes" why not play a game where the fan interest in this state would be off the chart. Seriously, JH would be packed if Troy came in, the media would cover the fool out of the game and we, as fans, would have a game far more interesting to go to besides Buffalo or WKU or The Citadel. Everyone already knows that Troy and UAB are capable of playing top programs off their feet. Take the lead in this state. Step up and schedule em'.

I would love to see us pick up both Troy and UAB. I understand the "We're in a no-win situation" theory concerning playing those two. But, let's face it, if we're one of the top programs in the nation, we should beat both of them handily 10 out of 10 times. If we don't beat them, the world is not going to come to an end and we'll never be out of the loop for top recruits in this state.

With these OOC "Cupcakes" why not play a game where the fan interest in this state would be off the chart. Seriously, JH would be packed if Troy came in, the media would cover the fool out of the game and we, as fans, would have a game far more interesting to go to besides Buffalo or WKU or The Citadel. Everyone already knows that Troy and UAB are capable of playing top programs off their feet. Take the lead in this state. Step up and schedule em'.

:thumbsup:

I have said for several years that Troy @ AU would be a great game. It would easily be a sellout OOC game for JHS, and Troy is a decent team that has given several big-time programs a run for their money as of late, including the mighty Florida State a couple of weeks ago.

i'd love to see us beat the piss out of virginia tech. how about a rematch of the sugar bowl? they're a decently ranked team. i'm just sick of everybody back home that just run their mouths non stop about how great tech is. i mean they whooped duke last week, WOW i'm impressed :rolleyes: . the only ranked team they play all year is clemson, since miami isn't anymore. let's see how much they run their mouths when they play a real team

Yeah, you don't have to restrict yourself to BCS conferences to get a decent team in here. There's Fresno State, Utah, BYU, Boise State, TCU that I can name right off the bat. Some team from the Mid American Conference. Have they conteacted the Big East (lower tier of the BCS leagues)? You're telling me you couldn't get Pitt or Rutgers in here?

I realize none of those have the spice of Penn State, Michigan or Notre Dame, but any of them beat the hell out of Arkansas State or Buffalo.

Speaking of Fresno State. Did you read the Sporting News article in which Pat Hill basically called Jacobs a liar about saying nobody wants to play us? It was basically the oppoiste of the B'ham News article and actually pokes some holes in Jay Jacob's statements.

According to the article, Hill is quoted as calling us to play us back in 2004. He was told the schedule was already fool, but it was not announced until much later when Western Kentucky was added. The writer was basically wondering why the AD had not learned his lesson from 2004 and not added some better out of conference teams besides WSU. With twelve games on the schedule, he wonders why we could not find at least one team better then either Tulane, Arkansas St., or Buffalo.

If that was true, and I don't know why Hill would make that up, then that really ticked me off. If we are turning down decent out of conference teams, then something needs to change and change quickly. I know we play in the toughest conference whereas the Pac-10 and Big 12 have patsies all in their conference, but we do need to do a better job of getting some better out of conference teams on the schedule if we want to get the respect we know the team deserves.

It was in the printed version and I could not find an online link to it. I read it at the doctor's office my wife works at, but maybe it will be put online for all to read. Maybe somebody else can find the article I am talking about. I think it was titled "Are they asleep at Auburn?" or something like that. It

If I had to guess, Jacobs probably doesn't want to schedule Fresno State because that's one of those teams where the outcome can only hurt you, not help. Fresno is a good team, and they have beat some BCS teams in the past, but that's a team that Auburn is supposed to beat. If Auburn wins, they're supposed to, if they lose, it's a big upset.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind if they scheduled Fresno, because at least we'd get more respect in beating them than Troy or UAB.

Playing an SEC Schedule, I dont see whybwe really have to play a killer OOC game, especially early. We are going to play 3-4 Top Ten teams now. That is worse than ND, USC, OSU, or WVU will do. I say leave the OOC games alone and focus on the :sec:

I'll tell you why...

ESPN can't get their heads out of their arses long enough to realize that.

In 2004, the mantra was...ooooh that OOC schedule is just too weak for AU to get into the BCS. They should've_____(blah, blah, second guess, blah).

They chose to ignore the FACT that AU played 4, YES 4, teams that finished Top Ten that year PRIOR to the bowl game. Therefore making the OOC scheduling irrelevant. I still hold that if you match the 2004 WHOLE SCHEDULE v the 2004 USC and/or OU schedule they are at LEAST equal if not advantage AU.

However, ESPN holds the keys to the Championship because they've got all the cameras. So, you don't get pub unless you schedule ONE OOC killer.

Pat Hill has a poor memory......and so do I.....but I recall that there was more to the Fresno St. deal than meets the eye here. it had something to do with home-and-home agreements, us having to juggle our schedule, or something along those lines. Maybe someone remembers the details. I'm too lazy to do the research.

Archived