Article concerning Jacobs trying to schedule

Tiger1992

Was Jacobs our AD in 2004? I'm asking because that's when Hill says he called.

On another note, if what Coach Gran said a while back is the prevailing mindset with the coaches and administration, look for them to continue to schedule exactly the way they are setting it up now. One showcase game like WSU, GT, USC, WVU, Syracuse etc. and the remainder of the OOC will be cupcake city. Gran said they NEED those games because they'd never make it through the SEC schedule if you replace the Buffalos of the world with Texas, OU and ND. Plus, it's the only way to get any real time for your backups.

I definitely don't think we should schedule 4 powerhouse OOC games. However, I don't think one big OOC game, one middle of the road OOC and then two cupcakes is asking too much. We've got the good game for 2008-2009 (WVU), but next year we definitely don't have any (at least not yet).

The reasoning to play tougher teams so that ESPN will notice is an ill conceived assumption at best. ESPN notices who the teams that are A). lined up contractually with them and B ). large market schools with large viewing numbers.

I agree with DKW. Our tough games are in the SEC, leave the OOC games the way they are. It's tough enough in play in the SEC and go 12 weeks without a break. Auburn needs a game like Buffalo this week (a game we should win and should be able to play a good amount of players) to help get most of the team back to 100% before some tough SEC games.

Was Jacobs our AD in 2004? I'm asking because that's when Hill says he called.

You are right. Jacobs was announced as the new AD in late Dec. 2004 and didn't really assume the job until Jan. 2005. So, like I said above Pat Hill has a poor memory and must have been talking to Housel.

Ok, so I did the research on Fresno....

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15793

Actually, according to Mark Murphy at ITAT, Fresno wasn't requiring a return game at their place. But the issue was the date. Fresno didn't want to fill in the spot on the date that So. Miss vacated. They wanted the game to be on October 8th. However, that would have given Auburn their open date after only 3 games and left us playing 8 straight to end the season. Auburn didn't want that. They wanted the Oct. 8th open date to remain intact.

Archived