Has Auburn play a complete game this season?

johnwegl

Just sitting here thinking about the team so far this season.

Against WSU, it took awhile before the running game got going and we started making TDs instead of FGs.

D played pretty well with the exception of the broken coverage.

Against MSU, the O was hard headed (CTT's words) about running. 2nd half, Auburn comes out and throws it to Taylor and all is good.

D kept MSU off the board. Then again, MSU isn't close to good on O.

Against LSU, the O had one good series. That was about the only time the run game showed up. LSU was in our backfield all game. I credit a lot of this to LSU, though you hope the O line could have picked up several of the free guys coming through (right up the middle).

D stepped up and shut down the run. I think LSU's passing game should have been better. Several slight over throws.

Against BU, The O and D looked half asleep the whole game. The run game was pretty good on the corners (our speed showed).

On D, BU was running wide left and right and picked up 5-8 yards more often than not.

2nd half the talent, depth and must likely a wake up call in the locker room got the team more productive.

Not sure, but it just looked like we were going our "base package" for game. We really dind't show much.

I'm a little worried in the way the O-line has looked against good D-lines. It doesn't seem like Cox has gotten into a rthyme yet. The D has looke better than I thought they would at this point. At special teams, kick offs are looking great. Kick off returns with Davis back there is great. Punts are punted a mile away. Run backs on punts are a little lacking. Several dropped punts (mayeb two today) and east/west running, not north/south. FG's have been pretty good.

Is it a bad thing that this "complete game" hasn't happen yet? I think not. I would like to see parts of the offense a better more consistant.

I liked to hear your thoughts?

For all the fanfare and talent, the O line has under performed. They look sluggish and tired. With a few exceptions, the 'backs didn't have much room to roam. Every yard we earned on the ground was done so the hard way. Cox looked as if he wasn't even there. Poor decissions and a few poor passes really looked unimpressive. Play like that vs UF, UGA or UAT, and we're in for a world of hurt.

The D is very fast, but still seems to have trouble in straight on plays. Dunno if it's just getting out schemed or flat out beat off the ball, but today wasn't terribly impressive.

I guess when you decide you are going to establish the run, you have a 6 for 10 day like Cox did, but considering the fact that we need more work in this department, you would think we would try to throw a bit more.

Or maybe CTT was out to get this game done ASAP (1 hour 10 minute first half). Run the clock out , get back inside and prepare for a short week....I guess. I don't know, they are the coaches for a reason, but I guess I was hoping to see Auburn work on the passing game a bit this game.

It doesn't matter how you perform over a 60 minute period as long as you win convincingly against a team you should defeat and just get the W against teams that are National and SEC contenders

Guest Tigrinum Major

It doesn't matter how you perform over a 60 minute period as long as you win convincingly against a team you should defeat and just get the W against teams that are National and SEC contenders

Just want to remind you that it is unethical, if not illegal, to sign in on a message board under someone else's screen name. Please let PChamp have his login back.

IYAM...LSU was an extremely good team and our performance could be counted as a "complete game"...7-3 is the best we were going to play an LSU team that was that on. If we play every game like we played the LSU game..we win big.

Buffalo game is excusable because we play SC in 5 days...no reason to get too pumped for it or put the 1's out there for too long...

In '04 did USC ever really play a complete game? no...

In '05 did Texas ever really play a complete game? not really...

We don't have to play to perfection..we just have to win..and we are

IYAM...LSU was an extremely good team and our performance could be counted as a "complete game"...7-3 is the best we were going to play an LSU team that was that on. If we play every game like we played the LSU game..we win big.

Buffalo game is excusable because we play SC in 5 days...no reason to get too pumped for it or put the 1's out there for too long...

In '04 did USC ever really play a complete game? no...

In '05 did Texas ever really play a complete game? not really...

We don't have to play to perfection..we just have to win..and we are

A win is a win and stuff. Buffalo picked up a check and the team broke a sweat. There were some bright spots: The backups got to play a bit. Blake was 4 for 4, and Tate gained +100 yds in only 1 quarter. Let's not dwell on this game any more than necessary. South Carolina is next and we need an SEC win. :au: WDE

I don't think we have played a complete game yet. I hope we were just looking ahead to SC

Will somebody go dig up the posts after the Citadel game in 2004 for me? Seems like there was a lot of griping about Auburn's inability to run against Citadel (and this was Carnell and Ronnie, they didn't sit it out) and the same kind of grousing about not being a complete team. Similar grumbling about the ineffectiveness of the offensive line. Redundant growling about "not putting up enough points"

Seems like '04 worked out okay. Be patient. Auburn pays the coaching staff a lot of money to be smarter than we are.

I don't think we have played a complete game yet. I hope we were just looking ahead to SC

Will somebody go dig up the posts after the Citadel game in 2004 for me? Seems like there was a lot of griping about Auburn's inability to run against Citadel (and this was Carnell and Ronnie, they didn't sit it out) and the same kind of grousing about not being a complete team. Similar grumbling about the ineffectiveness of the offensive line. Redundant growling about "not putting up enough points"

Seems like '04 worked out okay. Be patient. Auburn pays the coaching staff a lot of money to be smarter than we are.

I agree Galen! The team slopped around in the first half but woke up in the second half and looked like the great team they are so no one jump ship Auburn is going to be ok

You guys will see the flood gates open on Thursday night! Auburn will play as balanced a game as you have seen so far this year.

USuCk has issues, but Spurrier will be enough incentive to trounce the Buff. game and set the stage for the rest of the season on O.

Hit Syvelle and Auburn will win by 20+

:( OK my 2 cents.......I agree that it seems as though the complete offensive and defensive game has not been there. If you go back and watch the games - really watch play calling and assignments, we've still got a lot to improve on. Saying that I wonder if this USC game coming up isn't like the 04 Tenn. game. Prior to that game I remember thinking when are we going to open it up and pass down the field - that game we came out and dominated.

B) I look for Borges to open up the O on Thursday and show the nation that we can put up the points - I hope it carrys through the rest of the year as in 04'. The D will keep jelling and who knows how good this team could be by the end of Nov.

Remember - October is Tubby's month...his teams at AU have always looked their best during the crucial months!

Heck, I remember the '83 team sleepwalking through the East Carolina game. Anybody wanna get in the WayBack Machine on that one?

Here's the thing. Football, above all other things, is a psychological game. If anything, this game showed our team that even a rock bottom team such as Buffalo can put points on the board against us, and that we need to give our best effort to the heart of our schedule.

So, if anything, this was a powerful motivator. I expect some serious ballbusting going on this week in practice.

The Citadel was also our 4th game but.........we put up 593 yards in that game ,almost 600 yards!! we lead 23-0 at half.This game or team wasn't in doubt.We were playing 2 teamers a lot earlier in this game.

Our passing from Cox and protection of the O line is a point that needs improving.

Archived