New Punt Returner at AU?

RadioWryn

Any info about Hoyt? I haven't heard of him and was wondering how he's done in practices or scrimmages.

Austin Hoyt is listed as a db on the roster. He has played on special teams in '05 and '06.

Former HS rb from, I believe, Montgomery.

wonder why?

PUNT RETURN AVG G Ret Yds TD Avg

------------------------------------------------

1. Georgia............. 4 14 311 2 22.2

2. Kentucky............ 4 8 167 0 20.9

3. Mississippi St...... 4 13 144 0 11.1

4. Arkansas............ 4 8 84 0 10.5

5. Alabama............. 4 7 62 0 8.9

6. LSU................. 4 10 84 0 8.4

7. Florida............. 4 16 124 0 7.8

8. South Carolina...... 4 9 67 0 7.4

9. Ole Miss............ 4 4 29 0 7.2

10.Tennessee........... 4 4 28 0 7.0

11.Auburn.............. 4 17 117 0 6.9

12.Vanderbilt.......... 4 5 14 0 2.8

At the LSU game. The three guys that came out to catch punts were Dunn, Smith, and Fannin. Don't know who Hoyt is??? maybe Mario Fanin is going to get shot. He is #27

as long as he doesn't drop the ball he's fine by me, personally i think the punt return avg. has way more to do with blocking than with whos returning.

austudent22, who is a team manager of some sort, has denied your claim. He says Dunn will be back there returning punts.

Just some more unsubstantiated jabber to counter yours.

Here is his later post:

I would guess someone was snooping around the football complex and saw a chart on the wall that listed the special teams assignments. The person obviously failed to notice that it was the scout team special teams chart, which Austin hoyt plays the roll of the return man on. Hoyt will not be returning punts this year, and is not on the travel roster to Columbia.

personally i think the punt return avg. has way more to do with blocking than with whos returning.

Bingo! I don't understand why we can't seem to block for our returners. For that matter, I don't understand why we don't have a Special Teams Coach. I know Eddie Gran does double duty, but I would think there's enough money available to pay someone to devote all their time to Special Teams. But that's just me. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

austudent22, who is a team manager of some sort, has denied your claim. He says Dunn will be back there returning punts.

Here is his later post:

I would guess someone was snooping around the football complex and saw a chart on the wall that listed the special teams assignments. The person obviously failed to notice that it was the scout team special teams chart, which Austin hoyt plays the roll of the return man on. Hoyt will not be returning punts this year, and is not on the travel roster to Columbia.

Hoyt is definatly NOT returning punts. Dunn will be doing it. He isnt even the second-string returner, Tre Smith is. The theory about somebody seeing a scout team depth chart is very possible, as there are charts up everywhere down around the locker room.

You could say that i know this firsthand.

Here is his later post:

Crap. Busted again.

In my opinion Tristan Davis should be returning the punts but thats just me.

I've been wondering the same thing all year. He sure does a good job returning kickoffs, what few he has had a chance of doing. :lol:

Tristan is fearless. I really think he's going to run one back.

He came within a shoelace and kicker to getting one back during the Buffalo game.

I think he will get one before the year is out, or you will start seeing teams kick away from him toward Lester who I think is just as big a threat.

I really want to give Dunn the benefit of the doubt on returning punts, but honestly he scares me back there. I keep waiting for him to drop one and have it cost us big time in a close game. It has been a sketchy spot back there for a year or so now. I hope I am wrong and he breaks one loose for a TD every game. :)

For what it is worth I saw Hoyt play a couple of times in H.S with Tommy Trott. Good kid but I don't think you are going to see him returning punts anytime soon.

Punt returning is about hands, quickness and brains....all the best punt returners in AU history have been quick DBs with good hands...James Brooks is the one exception....

Archived