Another Republican Pervert

TexasTiger

The Republican Leadership knew and did nothing because they were afraid of losing a seat.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...p;type=politics

Foley Resigns From Congress Over E-Mails

Rep. Mark Foley, R-Fla., abruptly resigned from Congress on Friday in the wake of questions about e-mails he wrote a former teenage male page.

"I am deeply sorry and I apologize for letting down my family and the people of Florida I have had the privilege to represent," he said in a statement issued by his office.

His departure sent Republicans scrambling for a replacement candidate less than six weeks before midterm elections in which Democrats are making a strong bid to gain control of the House.

Foley's two-sentence statement gave no reason for Foley's decision to abandon a flourishing career in Congress. But several officials said the resignation had been prompted by the e-mails, and he took his action as fresh details emerged about electronic messages he had sent.

Foley, 52, had been a shoo-in for a new term until the e-mail correspondence surfaced in recent days.

His resignation further complicates the political landscape for Republicans, who are fighting to retain control of Congress. Democrats need to win a net of 15 Republican seats to regain the power they lost in 1994.

Florida Republicans planned to meet as soon as Monday to name a replacement in Foley's district, which President Bush won with 55 percent in 2004 and is now in play for November. Though Florida ballots have already been printed with Foley's name and cannot be changed, any votes for Foley will count toward the party's choice.

Campaign aides had previously acknowledged that the Republican congressman e-mailed the former Capitol page five times, but had said there was nothing inappropriate about the exchange. The page was 16 at the time of the e-mail correspondence.

Rep. Rodney Alexander, R-La., who sponsored the page from his district, told reporters that he learned of the e-mails from a reporter some months ago and passed on the information to Rep. Thomas Reynolds, R-N.Y., chairman of the House Republican campaign organization.

Alexander said he did not pursue the matter further because "his parents said they didn't want me to do anything."

Carl Forti, a spokesman for the GOP campaign organization, said Reynolds learned from Alexander that the parents did not want to pursue the matter. Forti said, however, that the matter did go before the House Page Board — the three lawmakers and two House officials who oversee the pages.

It was unclear what the officials did.

The board currently is headed by Rep. John Shimkus, R-Ill., who did not respond to requests for an interview.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert said Friday he had asked Shimkus to investigate the page system. "We want to make sure that all our pages are safe and the page system is safe," Hastert said.

Pages are high school students who attend classes under congressional supervision and work as messengers.

He said Foley submitted the letter of resignation to Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and submitted a copy to him. A House clerk read Foley's resignation on the House floor.

"He's done the right thing," Hastert said. Asked if the chain of events was disturbing, he said, "None of us are very happy about it."

ABC News reported Friday that Foley also engaged in a series of sexually explicit instant messages with current and former teenage male pages. In one message, ABC said, Foley wrote to one page: "Do I make you a little horny?"

In another message, Foley wrote, "You in your boxers, too? ... Well, strip down and get naked."

Foley, as chairman of the Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus, had introduced legislation in July to protect children from exploitation by adults over the Internet. He also sponsored other legislation designed to protect minors from abuse and neglect.

"We track library books better than we do sexual predators," Foley has said.

And he once accused the Supreme Court of "siding with pedophiles over children."

Foley was a member of the Republican leadership, serving as a deputy whip. He also was a member of the House Ways and Means Committee.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. too bad the GOP can't learn form their moral superiors, the Dems. Like Barney Frank, whose gay lover ran a gay prostitution ring out of the Congressman's D.C condo.

Yeah. too bad the GOP can't learn form their moral superiors, the Dems. Like Barney Frank, whose gay lover ran a gay prostitution ring out of the Congressman's D.C condo.

Tex, I beg to differ. I think the Republicans will remove this guy just like we went to Nixon to tell him to resign.

I cant recall any Dems doing that to one of their own though. You know the routine, Kennedy, etc. Which is worse Tex, killing a girl or making dirty talk on an IM with a teen?

Tex, I beg to differ. I think the Republicans will remove this guy just like we went to Nixon to tell him to resign.

He has already resigned because he knows he is toast now that it is public. In fact, he's violated laws he sponsored. The point is, the Republican leadership knew about this at least months ago, but they stayed silent and hoped it would never get out there.

The point is, the Republican leadership knew about this at least months ago, but they stayed silent and hoped it would never get out there.

You seriously doubt the Dems would have done any different were the shoe on the other foot ? Of course you don't. The DEM leadership had the National Intelligence Estimate report that was leaked via who ? The NYT's, of course. They then act all shocked and angry about ONE DAMN LINE from the report, when they know the REST of the story which states our efforts have crippled al Qaeda.

Please, you doth protest too much on this one.

The point is, the Republican leadership knew about this at least months ago, but they stayed silent and hoped it would never get out there.

You seriously doubt the Dems would have done any different were the shoe on the other foot ? Of course you don't. The DEM leadership had the National Intelligence Estimate report that was leaked via who ? The NYT's, of course. They then act all shocked and angry about ONE DAMN LINE from the report, when they know the REST of the story which states our efforts have crippled al Qaeda.

We're not talkin' about the Dems, this is about Republican hypocracy and homosexuality. Both sides have their own problem children and we, the American people, pay the price for their failures. It's way past time for a third party. Futrthermore, it's embarrassing to me for this kind of homosexual activity to take place anywhere in America, especially the capitol. You know the one that's suppose to represent the rest of us?. I'm no phob, but I still think we should consider what to do about NY's Gay-Day parade. Maybe we should have the NeoNazi skin-heads attend the parade in NY city.

We're not talkin' about the Dems, this is about Republican hypocracy and homosexuality. Both sides have their own problem children and we, the American people, pay the price for their failures. It's way past time for a third party. Futrthermore, it's embarrassing to me for this kind of homosexual activity to take place anywhere in America, especially the capitol. You know the one that's suppose to represent the rest of us?. I'm no phob, but I still think we should consider what to do about NY's Gay-Day parade. Maybe we should have the NeoNazi skin-heads attend the parade in NY city.

This is the guy you idiots call a "liberal." ;)

He has already resigned because he knows he is toast now that it is public. In fact, he's violated laws he sponsored. The point is, the Republican leadership knew about this at least months ago, but they stayed silent and hoped it would never get out there.

Yep, Tex, and I have some very credible sources who tell me that the emails were not the only reason. Apparently he was also soliciting sex from underage boys on IM from his office as well. These emails were the reason given to the press. The IMs are being withheld by Leadership.

(by the way, this is channonc, posting from hubby's computer)

It's hilarious to me to see the Pharisees back the Republican party, like they are Gods or something. They should stay out of politics and concentrate on preaching to the choir, because 2/3 of the choir is going straight to hell and they don't even know it. It's call deception and most church-goers don't realize they have been deceived.

Yep, Tex, and I have some very credible sources who tell me that the emails were not the only reason. Apparently he was also soliciting sex from underage boys on IM from his office as well. These emails were the reason given to the press. The IMs are being withheld by Leadership.

(by the way, this is channonc, posting from hubby's computer)

I won't post them here, but some of the IMs he sent can be accessed here:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/0...sive_the_s.html

Hypocracy at it's best. I hope they have his DNA by now. Admitted sexual offenders should not pass go, instead they should go directly to jail.

Representative Foley: "Well my view, when you rape a person, when you violate a child, you lose your civil liberties. So, anybody that says we shouldn't take DNA samples, absolutely wrong. You commit the crime, you will supply the sample, and will be able to track, and solve a lot of crimes."

Representative Foley: "If I were, uh, one of these sickos, I'd be, uh, nervous with America's Most Wanted on my trail."

Repugs been protecting this guy for years:

A Republican staff member warned congressional pages five years ago to watch out for Congressman Mark Foley, according to a former page.

Matthew Loraditch, a page in the 2001-2002 class, told ABC News he and other pages were warned about Foley by a supervisor in the House Clerk's office.

Loraditch, the president of the Page Alumni Association, said the pages were told "don't get too wrapped up in him being too nice to you and all that kind of stuff."

Repugs been protecting this guy for years:

A Republican staff member warned congressional pages five years ago to watch out for Congressman Mark Foley, according to a former page.

Matthew Loraditch, a page in the 2001-2002 class, told ABC News he and other pages were warned about Foley by a supervisor in the House Clerk's office.

Loraditch, the president of the Page Alumni Association, said the pages were told "don't get too wrapped up in him being too nice to you and all that kind of stuff."

So what ? When the same thing happened to a Dem, he admitted to having sex w/ a 17 yr old boy, and he KEPT his office. That was over 20 yrs ago. Give credit to Foley for at least fessing up and resigning. Moral highground, if any , goes to the GOP on this one.

As already stated, the demoncratic party has known of Kennedy's murder of a young woman for over 30 years.....

So I guess if the repubs kick him out sometime between now and say.................2036, they still are on top of things more than the dems.

There you have it, TexasTiger, as long as there's somebody else they can point the finger at and say, "At least it's not as bad as...", then it's all good! Remember, you're dealing with the self-proclaimed "Party of personal responsibility."

There you have it, TexasTiger, as long as there's somebody else they can point the finger at and say, "At least it's not as bad as...", then it's all good! Remember, you're dealing with the self-proclaimed "Party of personal responsibility."

I think you're missing the point. I don't think any of us conservatives here are trying to take up for the guy. What he did is repulsive and sickening and I hope he fries for it, figuratively speaking. The point is is that we're trying to put into perspective for you liberals. So yeah, a so called conservative gets caught with his pants down and so out he goes (and anyone who shielded him is no better) but you have to admit that anytime a liberal gets busted doing something along the same lines, same lines being illegal and immoral, then it's all hush, hush, sweep, sweep under the rug. Ugh, makes me absolutely sick. Libs think they can do no wrong and when they do then it's all just some right wing conspiracy to get them. Give me a break. Again, we're just putting it into perspective to show liberals for the hypocrites they really are, perspectives being something libs seem to have a hard time grasping if not at all.

Conservative + wrongdoing = death thru public shame and humiliation

Liberal + wrongdoing = media praise + excuses, excuses, excuses

You're right, Al. They can't just deal with the bad behavior without saying the libruls are worse. CCTAU seems to think Republicans are free to molest at will since Teddy's on the loose.

I think you're missing the point. I don't think any of us conservatives here are trying to take up for the guy. What he did is repulsive and sickening and I hope he fries for it, figuratively speaking. The point is is that we're trying to put into perspective for you liberals. So yeah, a so called conservative gets caught with his pants down and so out he goes (and anyone who shielded him is no better) but you have to admit that anytime a liberal gets busted doing something along the same lines, same lines being illegal and immoral, then it's all hush, hush, sweep, sweep under the rug. Ugh, makes me absolutely sick. Libs think they can do no wrong and when they do then it's all just some right wing conspiracy to get them. Give me a break. Again, we're just putting it into perspective to show liberals for the hypocrites they really are, perspectives being something libs seem to have a hard time grasping if not at all.

Conservative + wrongdoing = death thru public shame and humiliation

Liberal + wrongdoing = media praise + excuses, excuses, excuses

Problem is, republicans make careers out of monopolizing the moral high ground and pointing their fingers at all of the 'evildoers'. They talk the talk but can't seem to walk it. They like to pull their religion out and pulverize other people with it but seem to have little regard for it themselves, unless it gets them some face time on FoxNews or brings people to the voting booth.

The republican talk:

Foley, as chairman of the Missing and Exploited Children's Caucus, had introduced legislation in July to protect children from exploitation by adults over the Internet. He also sponsored other legislation designed to protect minors from abuse and neglect.

"We track library books better than we do sexual predators," Foley has said.

And he once accused the Supreme Court of "siding with pedophiles over children."

The republican walk:

ABC News reported Friday that Foley also engaged in a series of sexually explicit instant messages with current and former teenage male pages. In one message, ABC said, Foley wrote to one page: "Do I make you a little horny?"

In another message, Foley wrote, "You in your boxers, too? ... Well, strip down and get naked."

Perversion is not confined to one political party.

Say, here's a thought to ponder:

If the Repubs supposedly knew all along, and if the pages were telling other pages to avoid this guy, and since a secret on Capitol Hill has the lifespan of a gnat, do you honestly believe that not ONE SINGLE Democrat anywhere on Capitol Hill knew a single thing about this pervert and his actions? Not even a hint of a rumor? Can you honestly say with a straight face that if a Dem DID know, that they felt that something as serious as sexual predation of a minor was an internal matter that should be left solely to the members of his own party to "handle"? Would that be how the Dems would handle it if it were one of their own? That the Dems maybe CHOSE not to say anything? That maybe you have to wonder why no one in the Dem party blew the whistle on this and professed outrage until now? That maybe they sat on this until the political timing was right, rather than doing the right thing when it first came to their attention? The Dems are now shocked! SHOCKED! And now just happens to be 5 weeks before the election? That maybe they were taking an opportunity to make political hay when the poopie finally did hit the fan?

I'm just saying... :rolleyes:

If the Repubs supposedly knew all along, and if the pages were telling other pages to avoid this guy, and since a secret on Capitol Hill has the lifespan of a gnat, do you honestly believe that not ONE SINGLE Democrat anywhere on Capitol Hill knew a single thing about this pervert and his actions? Not even a hint of a rumor? Can you honestly say with a straight face that if a Dem DID know, that they felt that something as serious as sexual predation of a minor was an internal matter that should be left solely to the members of his own party to "handle"? Would that be how the Dems would handle it if it were one of their own? That the Dems maybe CHOSE not to say anything? That maybe you have to wonder why no one in the Dem party blew the whistle on this and professed outrage until now? That maybe they sat on this until the political timing was right, rather than doing the right thing when it first came to their attention? The Dems are now shocked! SHOCKED! And now just happens to be 5 weeks before the election? That maybe they were taking an opportunity to make political hay when the poopie finally did hit the fan?

Yep, they just can't blame the wrongdoer without somehow blaming the Dems. Even when caught red handed its the Dem's fault. Something in the Republican DNA that makes it impossible to accept responsibility or face the facts.

Yeah...I listened to Hannity today and he said the same thing, too. But first. And, all day. Let's see, what was it that the good Captain said earlier...what was it? Oh, yeah, I remember:

Ugh, makes me absolutely sick. Libs think they can do no wrong and when they do then it's all just some right wing conspiracy to get them. Give me a break.

The party of personal responsibility blames it on a left-wing conspiracy. How responsible.

Yeah...I listened to Hannity today and he said the same thing, too. But first. And, all day. Let's see, what was it that the good Captain said earlier...what was it? Oh, yeah, I remember:

Ugh, makes me absolutely sick. Libs think they can do no wrong and when they do then it's all just some right wing conspiracy to get them. Give me a break.

The party of personal responsibility blames it on a left-wing conspiracy. How responsible.

Can you imagine what this board would look like if Foley had been a Dem? What a bunch of unprincipled cowards.

Can you imagine what this board would look like if Foley had been a Dem? What a bunch of unprincipled cowards.

It looks like it's been very slow in here today. :gofig:

It seems a little strange to me that Al & Tex (on this board) have been the champions of gay rights for the past several years. They have defended and railed against anyone who called gays perverts but now they are calling this gay guy a pervert. Are Republican pervs worse than democrat pervs?

BTW - I haven't seen anyone defend this guy. I have seen several point out the obvious hypocrisy of the dems.

It seems a little strange to me that Al & Tex (on this board) have been the champions of gay rights for the past several years. They have defended and railed against anyone who called gays perverts but now they are calling this gay guy a pervert. Are Republican pervs worse than democrat pervs?

BTW - I haven't seen anyone defend this guy. I have seen several point out the obvious hypocrisy of the dems.

I'm disgusted by predatory behavior toward minors, regardless who does it. This has nothing to do with orientation. That's just how you guys choose to view it. If the IMs were to a 16 year old female page would you get it then?

Archived