Football Trivia

JohnDeere

Do you know where Hazelwood is?

Yep, it is in Lawrence County, right next to the county I live in, Morgan County. A school not far from them, Courtland, had a big rivalry with them. They were both 1A and 2A schools and in the 80s and 90s, they both were dominating their classes and winning state championships. When they played each other every year, you could not even find standing room.

And I thought it was Hoover.

Notice that Hoover doesn't hold one state record. Dynasty??

Well, I would have guessed Robert E. Lee in Montgomery (yes, they used to be good - Spence McCracken used to be there). So don't feel bad.

I could have told ya that one. I grew up in Russellville. We were 5A and we wouldn't play them!! Hazelwood sent a lot of boys to west vance. Can't remember their names right off, though?? I am sure BG or win will enlighten us!! Maybe Langham was from there?? There were always scary good in late 80s early 90s.

Goodes.

Pierre...and who was the other one? I am drawing a blank. Didn't Langham come from there too?

And I thought it was Hoover.

Notice that Hoover doesn't hold one state record. Dynasty??

Hoover has only been playing ball for about 12 years. They will hold plenty of records soon enough.

Hoover has been around forever, just not as Hoover. It was Berry up until about 12 years ago, or whatever it was. They weren't all that great though. Hoover didn't really blow up until Propst showed up.

I do think Berry won a championship or two, though.

Hoover has been around forever, just not as Hoover. It was Berry up until about 12 years ago, or whatever it was. They weren't all that great though. Hoover didn't really blow up until Propst showed up.

I do think Berry won a championship or two, though.

Didn't they combine though? The only reason I ask is because Gadsden, Emma Sansom and Litchfield combined this year, and their records started over. Even though those three schools had won previous championships, they will not be allowed to carry over. With that said, I assumed since Hoover has only been playing for 12 years, their records only went back to 12 years. If I'm not correct on the Hoover combination thing, disregard my post, because I obviously don't have a clue as to what I'm talking about.

Oh how I wish Dothan would combine schools so they could compete for State Championships.

That is what Gadsden did this year, and so far they are undefeated. I'm not saying they are going to win 6A this year, but they look good. I'll be at their game against Pell City in about 24 hours. It should be good.

I think Courtland is now R.C. Hubbard.. or something close to that.

I remember one of the Goodes, scored an 8 the first time on his ACT then the next time an 18. <_<

An 8? I thought you got like a 4 or 6 just for filling out the demographics. So going for the final 32 or 30 pts, if you assume its multiple choice with four or five questions, just by dumb luck you should get 6-8 points. I've never understood someone pulling an 8.

Argo,

No, Hoover basically just changed names. You had Simmons Middle School and Berry Middle School, and they fed into Berry High School. When they built the new school, it was named Hoover, so Berry High School just became Hoover High School.

Actually, Hoover has done the opposite. Spain Park used to be a part of Hoover, until it was built and half of Hoover moved over there. I guess that was about five years ago or so. Hoover is actually a good bit smaller now than it was five or six years ago (or whenever SPHS opened).

I think this would be a good time to point out that I didn't go to Hoover, so I'm not positive about this riveting yarn I've just weaved for you, but I am about 90% sure I got it all right.

Out of curiosity, does your name have anything to do with where you live?

I think Courtland is now R.C. Hubbard.. or something close to that.

I remember one of the Goodes, scored an 8 the first time on his ACT then the next time an 18. <_<

Yeah, that is what they are called now.

The Goodes never made anything of themselves after college. Heck, I don't know if they even finished college.

Argo,

No, Hoover basically just changed names. You had Simmons Middle School and Berry Middle School, and they fed into Berry High School. When they built the new school, it was named Hoover, so Berry High School just became Hoover High School.

Actually, Hoover has done the opposite. Spain Park used to be a part of Hoover, until it was built and half of Hoover moved over there. I guess that was about five years ago or so. Hoover is actually a good bit smaller now than it was five or six years ago (or whenever SPHS opened).

I think this would be a good time to point out that I didn't go to Hoover, so I'm not positive about this riveting yarn I've just weaved for you, but I am about 90% sure I got it all right.

Out of curiosity, does your name have anything to do with where you live?

If you're 90% sure you are right, that's 70% better than what I know, so I'll take your word on it.

My handle is my last name. I live in Gadsden, actually, in the Noccalula Falls area.

Kerry.

Don't know about Langham.

If I remember correctly didn’t Kerry Goode blow out his knee in the Kickoff Classic against Ohio St? Wasn’t he suppose to be an All-American caliber back and was never the same after the injury?

Antonio Langham did go to Hazelwood. Other former Hazelwood players for UA I remember include FB Tarrant Lynch, (Do you remember when he got stuffed on a 4th and 1 in the ’93 Iron Bowl?) LB Steven Harris, and DE Chris Hood, (wasn’t there some sort of controversy with him?) As for the Goode’s, seems like I remember a Chris Goode as well.

Oh how I wish Dothan would combine schools so they could compete for State Championships.

6-4 Northview beat my 10-0 undefefeated #2 Opelika Bulldogs 24-17 when All-everything QB Greg Taylor (yes the same Greg Taylor that starred at WR for Auburn U) sat out the first 3 quarters w/ broken ribs he suffered the previous week . Greg came in the game in the 4th quarter when the score was NV24 OHS 0, and almost pulled off the comeback. We had the ball in NV territory when the clock expired. The what if haunts me to this day b/c that 6-4 team that beat us on our own field when our QB was out went on to win the 6A state championship. We still haven't won one but are in contention every year. We have only been going good since the early 80's and don't have a single entry in that record book. That being said hoover has a long way to go to get their name in there. It takes decades. Where is Jeff Davis in that record book?

Goodes.

Pierre...and who was the other one? I am drawing a blank. Didn't Langham come from there too?

Yes. Someone correct me if my memory is fuzzy, but while I was in high school ('89, I believe), my recall is that Hazelwood - with Langham, Tarrant Lynch (later FB at uat), and probably others - won the (2A, I believe) state championship game (I'm not making this up) 75-0. Don't recall the opponent.

Archived