Plans continue for AU arena

DKW 86

57 members have voted

1. 1. Which should we do?

• Remodel BEMC?
    • Build completely new up-to-date facility?
  2. 2. What do we do with old BEMC?

• Student Activities?
    • Track and Field get it?
    • All purpose building for whole Campus events?
    • Remodel and keep it as usual?

http://www.al.com/sports/huntsvilletimes/i....xml&coll=1

AD will make presentation for basketball facility

Friday, October 20, 2006

By PHILLIP MARSHALL

Times Sports Staff pmarsh9485@msn.com

AUBURN - A new arena for Auburn basketball is expected to move a step closer to reality today.

Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs, university sources said, will seek permission from members of the Board of Trustees to hire an architectural firm to design what would be a multimillion-dollar facility. Jacobs will make a presentation at a campus meeting of the Board's Property and Facilities Committee.

The most likely locations for a new arena are the parking lot across Donahue Drive from Plainsman Park or the parking lot across Roosevelt Drive from Beard-Eaves Memorial Coliseum and across Donahue from Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The proposed new arena would likely have a seating capacity of 8,000-9,000, including premium seats. It would also include a practice facility, weight room and offices for men's and women's coaches. It is uncertain what the future would hold for Beard-Eaves, Auburn's basketball home since 1969.

Auburn coach Jeff Lebo, heading into his third season, was promised a new practice facility when he took the job in the spring of 2004. But early this year, the focus turned from a practice facility to the possibility of a new arena.

Jacobs and Auburn facilities experts have spent several months studying whether it would be feasible to build a new arena and where it could be located. A major renovation of Beard-Eaves has also been considered.

If the trustees approve the plan, once an architectural firm completes a design, it will be made available for bids by building contractors. If a satisfactory bid is received, the final step will be for the Board of Trustees to approve construction.

Construction would probably be financed partly by a bond issue and partly by private donations. Interim president Ed Richardson said last April that $10 million had been pledged toward the arena but that more would be needed. Richardson said Beard-Eaves, which houses the university department of health and human performance and coaches' offices for some Olympic sports, is in need of $30 million worth of infrastructure repairs and deferred maintenance.

Lebo said last February that a new arena would be a powerful statement that Auburn is serious about basketball.

"A new arena would be a major statement that would make waves nationally for Auburn University and Southeastern Conference basketball," Lebo said.

New century, new building. Figuratively speaking, new carpet & drapes, etc. won't disquise the fact that BEMC was inadequate when it was first built. If AU is serious about its b-ball program (not to mention competing for basketball recruits,) then they need facilities on par with the other SEC schools. We are in competiton with the other schools and this is no time to pinch pennies. Football is the main revenue generator. Basketball can be 2nd.

New century, new building. Figuratively speaking, new carpet & drapes, etc. won't disquise the fact that BEMC was inadequate when it was first built. If AU is serious about its b-ball program (not to mention competing for basketball recruits,) then they need facilities on par with the other SEC schools. We are in competiton with the other schools and this is no time to pinch pennies. Football is the main revenue generator. Basketball can be 2nd.

Just curious (not arguing) but why was BEMC inadequate when it was built?

There is a building boom at Auburn (new engineering center to be completed next year, new student union for 2008, recently completed science complex and forestry and wildlife buildings). If we have the money, we need to keep the trend going by replacing BEMC. It is unattractive and run-down. Why spend $30-40 million to still have a lower tier facility when we can double that budget and get a good new facility? Maybe we can hit Sir Charles up for a big donation and make it the Barkley Center (nicknamed the Chuck).

And once the new basket facility is built, the best thing to do w/ BEMC might be to tear it down (I was surprised that was not one of your choices).

tearing down BEMC would be a good call... because if any parking lot is taken up, the already god awful parking situation for those of us who are here during hte week as students gets that much worse. if for no other reason than to preserve parking that would be a good idea.

This is a real challenge and some of the issues are:

1. Cost of new facility vs remodling old facility.

2. Source of funding.

3. Size (capacity) of new facility.

4. Where to play if new facility is built on site of BEMC during construction or BEMC remodling.

5. Where to put new facility if BEMC retained.

6. Parking. Gonna lose a lot of valuable parking spaces.

There is a lot to work out before the decision is final.

Just curious (not arguing) but why was BEMC inadequate when it was built?

It's more of an observation rather than specifics. When I was an undergrad (74-79,) there were complaints even back then. The facility underwent a major renovation 10 years ago. Now, they're talking about $30M of "deferred maintenance" just to bring it up to today's standards. When it's all done, you still have a 40-yr old building that wasn't designed specifically for the basketball. A similar analogy is pouring a lot of money into a 15-yr old car. Sure, new tires and an engine overhaul will make it servicable for a few more years but all the money you pour into it isn't going to change the fact that you're still driving a 15-yr old car devoid of any modern amenities. A modern facility that will accommodate both mens & womens b-ball programs is what's needed.

there needs to be an option for tearing down that butt ugly building, baseball stadium and football stadium look like top notch facilities, then the bemc looks like crap.

When it's all done, you still have a 40-yr old building that wasn't designed specifically for the basketball.

Wow that's news to me. What was it designed for if not BB?

there needs to be an option for tearing down that butt ugly building, baseball stadium and football stadium look like top notch facilities, then the bemc looks like crap.

Not disagreeing but it's kind of relative. Over the past year, I've taken a few people from some other Div. 1A schools into the BB area and asked them what they thought. They all went 'wow I wish we had a facility like this."

When it's all done, you still have a 40-yr old building that wasn't designed specifically for the basketball.

Wow that's news to me. What was it designed for if not BB?

Sorry, I didn't finish my sentence before posting. BEMC wasn't designed specifically for the basketball programs of today: mens & womens. Title IX wasn't implemented until the mid-70's. The rise of womens basketball couldn't have been foreseen when BEMC was designed/constructed. The renovations that are being considered include lockers, for crying out loud.

Those of you who live in or near Auburn and see the campus daily can probably speak to this better than me (unfortunatly I only get down a couple of times a year), but recently I think that Auburn has decided to emphasize campus beautification. I have noticed that many of the old eyesore buildings (mostly those built in the 1960's and 70's) have been torn down recently, and other steps have been taken to make campus more aesthetically pleasing. I would think that getting rid of BEMC would fit into that vision.

Now if we can just do something about Haley Center, Parker and Biggin Halls...

I would bet Parker is on the chopping block with the new COSAM building that just was finished and the new Engineering complex thats being built...

They need to get rid of Dunstan hall and Broun halls...they look horrible...

I think one of the best places to put a new arena would be where the old track is now. I'm not sure what all it is used for but the place is an eyesore. And it would still be around where the all the other athletic facilities are.

I would bet Parker is on the chopping block with the new COSAM building that just was finished and the new Engineering complex thats being built...

They need to get rid of Dunstan hall and Broun halls...they look horrible...

parker is supposed to be on the chopping block. We used to have an archaeology lab in saunders and had to move it all to cary. Supposedly after saunders went parker was next. I don't know what they are waiting on.

I do think it would be wise to either bring down Beard Eaves and make it a parking garrage, or use it for Olympic Sports. Hard to say at the moment, but parking is a big issue reight now.

For those discussing parker, yes, its next on the chopping block. The long term plan is to create a sciences "quad" with a courtyard type area created by the new cosam building, chem building and a new parker hall. The plans called for a small lake/pond in the middle to ease some of the flooding problems that occur due to the creek running under parker hall and coming out behind the baseball field. But there are money issues. I think some peope are hesitant to build a new math and science building due to the fact that a new building was just built. The only saving grace is that math and science courses are required for every major, so there's a general need for the building. One complicating factor on that end of campus is that the outdoor amphitheater is off limits. It has been protected and limits what can be done there.

i'm glad it's protected... i like the atmopshere on that end of campus. supposedly a pond is going where parker is because they covered a water resevoir to put it there in the first place... and it has flooding issues

as a current student, and the way AU is growing every year....they definitely need to build a new gymnasium and the old BEMC should be torn down and perhaps turn that lot and the adjacent lot into another parking deck...it is much needed....parking on campus is horrible!

The old ROTC field that is now parking (area across from Mama G's)would be a great place to build a new arena. That way, they could play in the old one until the new one is complete. The only thing lost during the build would be parking. Then implode the old one and put up a parking deck. If you are not a student or faculty, then a charge for parking there could help offset. (a little)

Maybe across from the Baseball field, a special parking garage could go up that would allow RVs access. Imaging, the first Uni to create an RV parking garage.....

They need to demolish Spidle too. Maybe Funchess. I've heard the new arena would be built where the tennis courts are now and AU and the city were going to build a complex for students and residents to use.

I think one of the best places to put a new arena would be where the old track is now. I'm not sure what all it is used for but the place is an eyesore. And it would still be around where the all the other athletic facilities are.

The old track is still used for a lot of things. Tri-service ROTC units do their PTs there, people go there to work out, etc etc. I hope they don't get rid of it, and if they do, I hope they have a new one built to replace the old track.

too bad your time on this board is about over

go easy on him, i think its sweet his nickname on this board is in honor of his first girlfriend

Archived