The contempt is palpable

GalensGhost

I was in Tuscaloosa today. It was game-day, so I had on my standard shirt for this season (only game I didn't wear it? Arkansas). In all my years of being an Auburn fan in close proximity to Tuscaloosa, I've never felt such open hostility.

Had to go to Target and had a handful of obscenities tossed at me by other bama-clad patrons. I was in the grocery section and there was a guy there cooking sample crab puffs with his hair net on. "How bout that Arkansas game" he babbles as I walk past. I reply offhand, never slowing down "Yeah, it was pretty funny how he kept missing those kicks." Figured that would be the end of it.

But no.... Mr. Hairnet leaves his post. He starts stalking me down the aisle. "We almost kicked their ass and they blew ya'll off the field. How about that, huh?" I'm starting to get pissed. So I ask him how that Florida thing worked out. He says they should have kicked their ass, too, and we were just lucky to win. Then he says "don't none of that matter. Ya'll got to come here and we got something for your damn finger. You're going to walk into hell."

As calmly as I could muster, I told him that there was no question Tuscaloosa was hell. No question at all. And I walked off. Went and found the manager, reported the b*****d and left the cart with everything I was going to purchase in his hands. Told him I wouldn't buy another damn thing at his store as long as they hired bungholes like the illiterate crab-puff guy.

They were pretty hostile last year. Running their mouth and acting an ass whenever they saw somebody wearing Auburn stuff. It's only ramped up this season. The hostility is rampant. Given some of the obscene comments I got today, I'm a little concerned about letting my kids wear AU stuff over there. I've never felt that way before.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might wanna consider going to a shelter after the Iron Bowl when the Thumb is complete.

If it's like last year, they'll shut completely up for a couple of months should Auburn do enough to win the game. You won't see a bama flag, hat, shirt or jacket until well after Christmas.

They were full of themselves last year with the snide comments and loud cracks. But this year, there's a much more hostile edge to it. I used to be able to walk around in the mall or whatever in Auburn stuff and not really think about it. The last month or so, it's turned really ugly. Even the ones who don't say anything are giving me hateful glares.

I realize it's a small percentage of their fans and primarily the uneducated ones. But that doesn't change things. Several years ago a guy was attacked and beaten on the Strip on campus because he had an AU shirt on. The way things are going now in terms of their attitude and public displays of contempt, I can see something happening again.

I looked at crab-puff man's eyes and considered that we were on the verge of coming to blows in the Target beer aisle. If I'd pushed his buttons just a little more, who knows how he would have reacted?

For gods sake I got accousted at the race in Martinsville,Va last sunday. A 40+y/o man gave me the Roll tidae and when I asked waht he thought about getting smacked by Ut he and his maybe 10 y.o son gave me the finger! They hate because they are not!

I am reminded of this pearl of wisdom.

"If you think they are bad now, just wait till be beat them!? Pat Dye

WAR EAGLE!

Back sometime in the 80's, walking in Bellaire mall in Mobile. Minding my own business, my only sin was to be wearing an Auburn sweatshirt. Three Bammers (an older man and his wife and a teenage boy) all were decked out complete in crimson sweatshirts, sweatpants, hats. As I passed them the boy said "I hate Auburn!" and laughed. His mom & dad both smiled. I just couldn't let it pass and said "Excuse me?" He repeated "I hate Auburn!". I then said I was glad and he got a confused look on his face so I was forced to tell him that I was glad he hated Auburn because I wouldn't want Auburn to have fans as butt ass stupid as you.

Later I saw them inside the Bama Fever store and I was tempted to step in and loudly say that since they were there it was obvious the store accepted welfare checks. But I refrained.

Kim, Emilee, and I were at the UNA Orientation Day yesterday. Had a great day really. While there the VP leading the Orientation told us to stay and see the ball game. It was free to students and parents. She said that a certain regional radio personality (I dont know who) had been telling folks to "go to the UNA game because it will be a better game than was going to be playing down in Tuscaloosa."

The crowd got eerily silent, and then things just went right on as planned. It didnt even make the Bama folks there feel bad anymore. They knew it was true. At that exact moment FIU was up 3-0 I guess.

BTW, UNA won 31-24 in OT. I can tell you something else, you would appreciate how well UNA runs their O. Pretty complicated and they execute very well.

I bet I'd be real popular in Tuscaloosa, seeing as how I attended both Auburn and Texas A&M...don't think I'll be parking my truck there anytime soon.

Some of these stories make me glad I live several states over these days. Aggies and Longhorns don't like each other much, but I've never detected much pure hatred between the two. That game is like an ice cream social compared to Auburn-Alabama.

having spent lots of time in tuscaloosa as an aubie, i can definitely relate to some of what you all are saying.

my wife was genuinely afraid for me to wear my Auburn sweatshirt to campus after the '89 game. i didn't worry at all.

i told every class i taught at UA that i was an aubie...never got too much derision about it (but for the starting OL in one of my classes).

i hate to see the redneck part of their fans ruin what has been for me a healthy hatred :) .

Didn't some psycho Bammer fan stab a bunch of people on frat row in AU last year? Did they ever catch him?

People like that are school dropout losers.

sit down and write the corporate office and explain your encounter to them....you'll be surprised how hard they come down on the local employees because of poor service.....i have had some very pleasant results by doing that.....since it was a bammerfart, maybe they'll fire him

Wow, I guess I should start posting all the stories of how me and my friends have been treated when we were in Auburn or even Montgomery.

The difference here is BG, Y'all deserve it. hehehe :poke:

The bammers are such ego maniacs. They think everybody loves them and their "tradishun."

If only they had a clue how much they are disliked everywhere. I have lived all over this country and I can tell you the vast majority of FB fans I have talked to don't like bama.

lol is it seriously that bad up there?? down here on the coast the world stops for high school/college football, and theres always some ribbing between rival fans, but it always ends in a "yall have a good one now..."

Wow, I guess I should start posting all the stories of how me and my friends have been treated when we were in Auburn or even Montgomery.

Last year my son, an Auburn student, saw several students wear Alabama caps on campus the week of the Iron Bowl. He thought about asking them "Why in the world are you wearing Alabama caps on campus," but didn't. I guess he felt that if they are big Alabama fans, why are they attending school in Auburn? Obviously, they must have felt comfortable (unafraid) wearing the caps. I had a pizza delivery man come to my house and make a rude comment about my Auburn shirt. I thought, "You idiot!" "I'm about to give you a tip and you feel free to degrade my shirt." He was old enough to know better. I keep my mouth shut when I see someone wearing an Alabama shirt. That is their team and they have every right to show their support. The majority of Alabama fans are nice. It just takes a few jerks to ruin a good rivaly. Usually, these people have never attended college, or, are just plain classless, or both. They love to dish it out, but can't handle any comebacks.

When I was at UA, I saw people in AU gear all the time. Guess that means it was calm enough on campus for them to wear that stuff ;)

We always have AU fans at our tailgate...regardless of what game it is...and they all have a good time.

When I was at UA, I saw people in AU gear all the time. Guess that means it was calm enough on campus for them to wear that stuff ;)

We always have AU fans at our tailgate...regardless of what game it is...and they all have a good time.

yeah, i see tons of :ua: tags and gear around :au: all year long. i wonder why they feel like living in enemy territory, but i don't say there's anything wrong with being proud of who you root for, grandparents and high school dropouts. it's your prerogative.

That's the way it should be! It should be fun. A little ribbing, all in fun, between friends.

I've been blessed to have been allowed to walk this earth for nearly 63 years now and, as an Auburn graduade and fan, I have seen and heard a lot. I can tell you this! The hatred is worse now that at any time I can remember in the past. I believe the reason is due to Auburn's success on and off the field and the large following of non-graduate red-necks that live and die with Alabama's wins or losses. As long as we were good ole API (Alabama Polytechnic Institute) we were the second best cow college and no competition for headlines from the "State's University", there were few problems. However, now they now are forced to share headlines with us and in some cases, be overshadowed by us. GOD FORBID! I can't speak for all of you but it has been my experience over the years that THEY, NOT US, are usually the ones who make initial SMART ASS remarks designed to hurt Auburn fans and deeply resent it when the cutting remarks are returned in kind. In other words, they cannot take what they dish out. TOO BAD!

I for one, am so proud of my school, AUBURN, and where they have come from. I often say that when you judge a man or woman or anything, you MUST look at where they came from and what conditions they came from and where they ended up. I AM PROUD! They will never like or respect us and in all liklihood, we won't care much for them either. It's kind of sad when you understand that this respect and admiration is based upon a sport rather than academics, research and other more important issues, but IT IS!

In closing, I must state that I WILL wear my Auburn cap, shirt, etc. wherever I want, whenever I want and I will never be ashamed or intimidated by these small people with sad lives. Moreover, I will never again take a snide remark or a cutting remark about me or my school without some form of a comeback. When this person or persons are involved in a business I am patronizing, I will report them every time until they learn that this kind of behavior is unacceptable to Auburn folks and are no longer going to tolerate it. I owe my school and everyone associated with Auburn t hat much and so do you!

Go right ahead. I'd love to hear some stories about how gracious and classy Auburn fans generally are. Because if you were being truthful, that's all you'd be able to say. If an AU fan were ever to act like a jackass like the bama fans I encounter regularly, I'd tell them to shut up myself.

I've never heard an AU fan say anything derogatory to an Alabama fan who was just walking down the street. I've never seen a group of AU fans gang up on someone and use profanity to describe his shirt -- in front of children.

And since we're telling stories, I've got another one for you. My daughter had her birthday party last night. Eight six and seven year old girls spending the night. One of the girls is the daughter of a Baptist preacher. She kept telling me over and over that Auburn "sucks". "But it's okay to be for a sucky team," she says, "because we're all people and some people just make mistakes. It's like people not choosing Jesus. They just don't know any better."

So I ask her what, exactly, about Auburn sucks. She doesn't know. She just hates orange. And hates Auburn and Tennessee. I asked her when was the last time she went to Auburn. Never been. Daddy says Auburn is like the bad place, she can never go there. So if she's never been, how does she know it sucks? Because Daddy SAYS it sucks. And now this little tot is starting to get angry. Her daddy is a preacher. He NEVER lies. Auburn sucks. We can't tell her any different because her daddy knows everything. People who like Auburn are just stupid. She hates people who like Auburn.

My plan was to serve her in an Auburn cup and on an Auburn plate. And then make her put her head on an Auburn pillow and sleep under an Auburn blanket. But my daughter had a better idea. She told her that she liked Auburn and if she couldn't shut up, she could go home. She stayed. Her dad's going to hear from me.

sit down and write the corporate office and explain your encounter to them....you'll be surprised how hard they come down on the local employees because of poor service.....i have had some very pleasant results by doing that.....since it was a bammerfart, maybe they'll fire him

I don't know if the guy worked for Target or not. He was cooking up crab puffs and wearing a harinet and an apron. I figure he was a temp hired just to do that. They don't usually have their regular employees give away samples like that do they?

It seems that the school that carries the state name draw a special kind of fan(I'm being civil here). I find the same applies here in NC, though they don't talk to much about football. Ha! But there is a palatable hate for Duke and their fans during basketball season. I have zero alleigence to Duke but can't help routing for them because of the jerks spouting their poison on the other side.

When i see a bama hat or plate, never hesitate to give a War Eagle! of course with the thumb.

I look forward to my neighbors flying their Crimson flag for one half this year, too.

What you should do is go over there during the night one night, and Turn it upside down.... after all, the upside down flag is a symbol of distress, right??? Well, If we manage to get the Win against them in three weeks, which we should, the pink nation will be in total distress....LOL.....

I get crap like what some of you have shared from UAT fans here in pensacola all the time. It's amazing how HUGE their arrogance is, and how much they think they are above everybody....

Archived