The contempt is palpable

GalensGhost

As an Auburn Alumni living here in Northport, I can assure all of you, their are A LOT of Auburn fans in and around Tuscaloosa. I'm not exaggerating when I say this, every time I drive thru town I see SEVERAL vehicles with Auburn tags. I've also seen a few cars all football season with Auburn flags. I usually wear an auburn visor or cap around town and rarely have anything said to me.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would change it but it only flies the morning of the iron bowl. til the game is over, about halftime.....

However, when I went to the Sausage Fest in Helberta with an AU shirt I got a smarta$$ comment from a local workin the booth, " we can't serve you with that shirt on", but they did, and I gave them a WAR EAGLE as I left with my sausages.

I would change it but it only flies the morning of the iron bowl. til the game is over, about halftime.....

However, when I went to the Sausage Fest in Helberta with an AU shirt I got a smarta$$ comment from a local workin the booth, " we can't serve you with that shirt on", but they did, and I gave them a WAR EAGLE as I left with my sausages.

I hope you watched him closely while he was preparing those dogs.

Guest BoStillKnows

Last year at the Capital One Bowl they had a flag for each SEC team. Someone lowered the :ua: flag to half staff.

The stadium employee who had to raise it back up the flag pole was not very popular.

It was pretty damn funny! :big:

As an Auburn Alumni living here in Northport, I can assure all of you, their are A LOT of Auburn fans in and around Tuscaloosa. I'm not exaggerating when I say this, every time I drive thru town I see SEVERAL vehicles with Auburn tags. I've also seen a few cars all football season with Auburn flags. I usually wear an auburn visor or cap around town and rarely have anything said to me.

There are a lot of AU folks in the Tuscaloosa area, no doubt. Until the last two years, I never really had anything said to me over there either that wasn't done with a smile and a wink. Well, except for that restaurant guy in Northport who always makes snide comments. And that restaurant manager who refused to serve me and my wife about six years ago after AU had beaten AL that day. Said he didn't want us in his restaurant upsetting the customers. I ate free for a month after I contacted the franchiser on that one.

It's gotten ugly in my opinion over the last two years. I fly an AU flag on my truck. I've beel honked at and flipped off in Tuscaloosa/Northport at least 50 times this season.

Wow, I guess I should start posting all the stories of how me and my friends have been treated when we were in Auburn or even Montgomery.

Go right ahead. I'd love to hear some stories about how gracious and classy Auburn fans generally are. Because if you were being truthful, that's all you'd be able to say. If an AU fan were ever to act like a jackass like the bama fans I encounter regularly, I'd tell them to shut up myself.

I've never heard an AU fan say anything derogatory to an Alabama fan who was just walking down the street. I've never seen a group of AU fans gang up on someone and use profanity to describe his shirt -- in front of children.

And since we're telling stories, I've got another one for you. My daughter had her birthday party last night. Eight six and seven year old girls spending the night. One of the girls is the daughter of a Baptist preacher. She kept telling me over and over that Auburn "sucks". "But it's okay to be for a sucky team," she says, "because we're all people and some people just make mistakes. It's like people not choosing Jesus. They just don't know any better."

So I ask her what, exactly, about Auburn sucks. She doesn't know. She just hates orange. And hates Auburn and Tennessee. I asked her when was the last time she went to Auburn. Never been. Daddy says Auburn is like the bad place, she can never go there. So if she's never been, how does she know it sucks? Because Daddy SAYS it sucks. And now this little tot is starting to get angry. Her daddy is a preacher. He NEVER lies. Auburn sucks. We can't tell her any different because her daddy knows everything. People who like Auburn are just stupid. She hates people who like Auburn.

My plan was to serve her in an Auburn cup and on an Auburn plate. And then make her put her head on an Auburn pillow and sleep under an Auburn blanket. But my daughter had a better idea. She told her that she liked Auburn and if she couldn't shut up, she could go home. She stayed. Her dad's going to hear from me.

Guess you didnt read my post about how i was treated at the last iron bowl. Or how i was treated anytime i wear a bama cap in Auburn for that matter. Its amazing that it always happens to me in Auburn...yet you are willing to sit there and say that theres some huge difference between the kind of people who pull for AU and the kind who pull for UA. Keep fightin the good fight there buddy. ;)

Wow, I guess I should start posting all the stories of how me and my friends have been treated when we were in Auburn or even Montgomery.

Go right ahead. I'd love to hear some stories about how gracious and classy Auburn fans generally are. Because if you were being truthful, that's all you'd be able to say. If an AU fan were ever to act like a jackass like the bama fans I encounter regularly, I'd tell them to shut up myself.

I've never heard an AU fan say anything derogatory to an Alabama fan who was just walking down the street. I've never seen a group of AU fans gang up on someone and use profanity to describe his shirt -- in front of children.

And since we're telling stories, I've got another one for you. My daughter had her birthday party last night. Eight six and seven year old girls spending the night. One of the girls is the daughter of a Baptist preacher. She kept telling me over and over that Auburn "sucks". "But it's okay to be for a sucky team," she says, "because we're all people and some people just make mistakes. It's like people not choosing Jesus. They just don't know any better."

So I ask her what, exactly, about Auburn sucks. She doesn't know. She just hates orange. And hates Auburn and Tennessee. I asked her when was the last time she went to Auburn. Never been. Daddy says Auburn is like the bad place, she can never go there. So if she's never been, how does she know it sucks? Because Daddy SAYS it sucks. And now this little tot is starting to get angry. Her daddy is a preacher. He NEVER lies. Auburn sucks. We can't tell her any different because her daddy knows everything. People who like Auburn are just stupid. She hates people who like Auburn.

My plan was to serve her in an Auburn cup and on an Auburn plate. And then make her put her head on an Auburn pillow and sleep under an Auburn blanket. But my daughter had a better idea. She told her that she liked Auburn and if she couldn't shut up, she could go home. She stayed. Her dad's going to hear from me.

Guess you didnt read my post about how i was treated at the last iron bowl. Or how i was treated anytime i wear a bama cap in Auburn for that matter. Its amazing that it always happens to me in Auburn...yet you are willing to sit there and say that theres some huge difference between the kind of people who pull for AU and the kind who pull for UA. Keep fightin the good fight there buddy. ;)

I've never seen it happen in Auburn. I've never seen an Auburn person initiate that kind of garbage.

My husband and I attended the AU vs Gamecock game down in Columbia. Someday, I'll write down the whole ugly experience but for now, I will share a couple of highlights.

As soon as we walked through the gates a couple of Cock fans ran up to me and got right in my face. They both started asking me rapid fire "What is a War Eagle" over and over. Really, It took me by surprise. I looked around for my husband and he had already got in line at the concession stand. Finally I looked at these kids and said, You want to know what a War Eagle is? A War Eagle is your worst nightmare, get out of my face. They laughed and went on to terrorize other AU fans.

I ordered a large lemonade and had set it on the counter while I put my change in my billfold. Plop, a peanut shell landed right smack dab in the center of my cup. I took it out and dropped it to the ground, ignoring the middle aged Cock who had thrown it in there. When he did it again, I smiled at him and said, "Now, that is not very good sportsmanship, do you think?" he said, Y'all are going to whip us anyway, it don't matter if I am a good sport or not. I told him that we came here to win a game, but wished them a"Good Game".

After the game, it was scary going back to the car. We had parked among mostly Auburn vechicles so I felt pretty safe in numbers. When we finally got to our car, our flags were ripped from the windows as well as all the flags on Auburn vehicles as far as one could see. As we were leaving, I mentioned to a cop directing traffic that all the cars were vandalized and all he could say was , "whadda ya want me to do about it".

My new name for them now is not the GameCocks but it does start with Cock and ends with s

Isa

I'll take Bama fans any day over those idiot GameCocks!

I will say that the worst OPPOSING fan experience Ive had so far, has to be the two games ive seen us play vs UGA in ttown. I dont know HOW many times I had some UGA fan randomly come up and start barking in my face. I didnt get it really.

I will say that the worst OPPOSING fan experience Ive had so far, has to be the two games ive seen us play vs UGA in ttown. I dont know HOW many times I had some UGA fan randomly come up and start barking in my face. I didnt get it really.

Don't worry, Alabama fans are tops of many UGA fans list of places they never want to return.

Feeling is mutual

I live an hour from West Vance. There are a ton of their fans here. I hear all kinds of crap outta them. I had a guy ask me last Saturday, I was wearing a Auburn sweatshirt, "What happened to them against Arkansas?" I was like you gotta be kidding me what happened to your bunch today against Tenn??? his response "Oh man that was just bad calls by the refs and stuff"........That is 99.9% of their fans. They kill me the way they act. Lucky for me I'm surrounded by them, msu, and ole piss people. Ain't life great!!!!

Worst opposing fans?

After Bama beat Auburn 31-7 that year, I had drunken Tiders throwing beer bottles at me as I walked back to my truck. I was cursed out and at a bunch by several different groups.

This year's Florida fans. They gator chomped my seven-year old daughter. One drunk Gator got in her face and screamed GATOR BAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTT until his veins were popping in his forehead. To their credit, some other Gator fans grabbed him and dragged him away offering apologies.

The LSU idiots who waded into the crowd as the band was doing pre-game outside the stadium and started spewing beer all over everybody. Those clowns should have gotten their ass kicked.

After Bama beat Auburn 31-7 that year, I had drunken Tiders throwing beer bottles at me as I walked back to my truck. I was cursed out and at a bunch by several different groups.

I was in Auburn that weekend, and almost got in 3 fights...because I was walking on the side walk trying to make it to buffalos....with my girlfriend. One group of guys joy riding in their 87 iRoc literally STOPPED their car in the middle of the street and got out to curse me because I had my Bama hat on.

I was in Tuscaloosa today. It was game-day, so I had on my standard shirt for this season (only game I didn't wear it? Arkansas). In all my years of being an Auburn fan in close proximity to Tuscaloosa, I've never felt such open hostility.

Had to go to Target and had a handful of obscenities tossed at me by other bama-clad patrons. I was in the grocery section and there was a guy there cooking sample crab puffs with his hair net on. "How bout that Arkansas game" he babbles as I walk past. I reply offhand, never slowing down "Yeah, it was pretty funny how he kept missing those kicks." Figured that would be the end of it.

But no.... Mr. Hairnet leaves his post. He starts stalking me down the aisle. "We almost kicked their ass and they blew ya'll off the field. How about that, huh?" I'm starting to get pissed. So I ask him how that Florida thing worked out. He says they should have kicked their ass, too, and we were just lucky to win. Then he says "don't none of that matter. Ya'll got to come here and we got something for your damn finger. You're going to walk into hell."

As calmly as I could muster, I told him that there was no question Tuscaloosa was hell. No question at all. And I walked off. Went and found the manager, reported the b*****d and left the cart with everything I was going to purchase in his hands. Told him I wouldn't buy another damn thing at his store as long as they hired bungholes like the illiterate crab-puff guy.

They were pretty hostile last year. Running their mouth and acting an ass whenever they saw somebody wearing Auburn stuff. It's only ramped up this season. The hostility is rampant. Given some of the obscene comments I got today, I'm a little concerned about letting my kids wear AU stuff over there. I've never felt that way before.

But, Galen, what did your "standard" Auburn shirt say?

"Rot in Hell Bear Bryant, You Slimy Cheating Drunk?"

Or "Alabama: Home of sh*tty football and skanky cheerleaders."

Or, maybe "Alabama, Get Used To Groveling To Us Like the Pathetic Drolling Dogs You Are, You b*****ds."

Actually, I kind of like those. I'll send these off to the screen printers tomorrow...

I was in Tuscaloosa today. It was game-day, so I had on my standard shirt for this season (only game I didn't wear it? Arkansas). In all my years of being an Auburn fan in close proximity to Tuscaloosa, I've never felt such open hostility.

Had to go to Target and had a handful of obscenities tossed at me by other bama-clad patrons. I was in the grocery section and there was a guy there cooking sample crab puffs with his hair net on. "How bout that Arkansas game" he babbles as I walk past. I reply offhand, never slowing down "Yeah, it was pretty funny how he kept missing those kicks." Figured that would be the end of it.

But no.... Mr. Hairnet leaves his post. He starts stalking me down the aisle. "We almost kicked their ass and they blew ya'll off the field. How about that, huh?" I'm starting to get pissed. So I ask him how that Florida thing worked out. He says they should have kicked their ass, too, and we were just lucky to win. Then he says "don't none of that matter. Ya'll got to come here and we got something for your damn finger. You're going to walk into hell."

As calmly as I could muster, I told him that there was no question Tuscaloosa was hell. No question at all. And I walked off. Went and found the manager, reported the b*****d and left the cart with everything I was going to purchase in his hands. Told him I wouldn't buy another damn thing at his store as long as they hired bungholes like the illiterate crab-puff guy.

They were pretty hostile last year. Running their mouth and acting an ass whenever they saw somebody wearing Auburn stuff. It's only ramped up this season. The hostility is rampant. Given some of the obscene comments I got today, I'm a little concerned about letting my kids wear AU stuff over there. I've never felt that way before.

But, Galen, what did your "standard" Auburn shirt say?

"Rot in Hell Bear Bryant, You Slimy Cheating Drunk?"

Or "Alabama: Home of sh*tty football and skanky cheerleaders."

Or, maybe "Alabama, Get Used To Groveling To Us Like the Pathetic Drolling Dogs You Are, You b*****ds."

Actually, I kind of like those. I'll send these off to the screen printers tomorrow...

That's pretty funny. I wish I had those shirts.

I was actually wearing one of the new Under Armor ones golf shirts.

I once saw a shirt in Hibbetts that had some silly Bama crap on the front and on the back was a silhouette of the old practice tower with the words "Bear's looking down..." on it. I always wanted to take a picture of that shirt and fark it to add "and boy is he pissed." But I could never find that shirt anywhere online.

One year (when we were still playing at Legion Field) my husband and I sat with the AU band, there were these 2 ushers, a father and daughter I believe. Everytime we yelled for Auburn, they gave us a dirty look. This was during the time that we never beat UA at Legion Field. This couple was so rude, at the end of the game, they put on these F$#$ Auburn Buttons and started taunting us and the band. I couldn't believe 2 ushers would do this.

I think both teams have crappy fans and ones who don't get along. My brothers are both Bama fans, neither went to Bama. In fact one brother paid for his daughter to go to Auburn. When we beat them in 1989, I sent them Sympathy cards. They thought it was funny. We can pick at each other all year, but it is still just a game and we will get up the next day and do our normal routine.

I was in Boston racing in the Head of the Charles (rowing) a couple weekends ago and the Univ. of Alabama rowing club set up shop rigging there boats rights next to us. Well, on race morning about every 5 minutes they'd start the "roll tide roll, roll tide roll, roll tide roll". Now keep in mind many of the teams racing there are not from the U.S., never mind the South, and they have NO idea what a "roll tide" is. ALL the rowing guys around us (avg. 6'4" 230 lbs) were saying things like "can't they shut up w/ that stupid cheer?" I finally let rip in a less than quite voice "around the bowl and down the hole, roll tide roll." All 50 or so of the Bammies stopped, glarred @ me and after it sank in, WAY more people than I thought could hear me busted out laughing. You never saw a group more, er, Crimson faced than the 50. They muttered, got on the water, got their arses handed to them, packed up and left. Best for last: I saw this Turkish rower cupping his hands and yelling after them as the Bammers drove away, "arounda the bowla & downa the hole, roll tide roll"

My 7 year old son has gottne to be an obnoxious AU fan lately, and it's really getting to me. He has a couple of friends that he's known for a couple of years from school and baseball that are all AL fans. He stayed at his friends house this summer since his normal sitter couldn't watch him, and his friend and Dad gave him hell about AU. I didn't know about it until he started to not want to wear his hats and shirts over there anymore ewhat was going on. I talked to the Dad about it. He thought "oh it's just a joke", but when my 7 year old feels uncomfortable enough to not want to wear his AU stuff around certain friends and their family. When the first thing he asks before going to their house to play is "are you for Alabama or Auburn?" You know it's bad. I don't care who the kids pull ofr personally.

Anyway, we had a long talk and I tried to explain to him that certain ppl take it way too serioulsy and to be proud, but now he HATES AL and is kind of being a jerk about it. He said something to the boys Dad at church last week about AL stinking. I told him, thanks that's your doing.

At work, I actually get the folks that Bama is better than Harvard. You know the idiots that listen to the "Hey Harvard" commercial. Bama went out and literally bribed these kids to go there. Why would they not go there to have their tuition, books, room and board $6k spending money and a new laptop all paid for by the university.

But the ads are run so that the total idiot network of doublewide living, mullet wearing, wife beating, sister marrying, etc. folks actually think that bama has academics.

You should have pushed the rednecks "button" 'till he was forced to put his paws on you. THEN, we could all shop at YOUR Target Store!

I was in Boston racing in the Head of the Charles (rowing) a couple weekends ago and the Univ. of Alabama rowing club set up shop rigging there boats rights next to us. Well, on race morning about every 5 minutes they'd start the "roll tide roll, roll tide roll, roll tide roll". Now keep in mind many of the teams racing there are not from the U.S., never mind the South, and they have NO idea what a "roll tide" is. ALL the rowing guys around us (avg. 6'4" 230 lbs) were saying things like "can't they shut up w/ that stupid cheer?" I finally let rip in a less than quite voice "around the bowl and down the hole, roll tide roll." All 50 or so of the Bammies stopped, glarred @ me and after it sank in, WAY more people than I thought could hear me busted out laughing. You never saw a group more, er, Crimson faced than the 50. They muttered, got on the water, got their arses handed to them, packed up and left. Best for last: I saw this Turkish rower cupping his hands and yelling after them as the Bammers drove away, "arounda the bowla & downa the hole, roll tide roll"

:roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol::roflol:

I'll bet that moment follows them to their next few races, wherever they are. Classic.

Last year my son, an Auburn student, saw several students wear Alabama caps on campus the week of the Iron Bowl. He thought about asking them "Why in the world are you wearing Alabama caps on campus," but didn't. I guess he felt that if they are big Alabama fans, why are they attending school in Auburn? Obviously, they must have felt comfortable (unafraid) wearing the caps. I had a pizza delivery man come to my house and make a rude comment about my Auburn shirt. I thought, "You idiot!" "I'm about to give you a tip and you feel free to degrade my shirt." He was old enough to know better. I keep my mouth shut when I see someone wearing an Alabama shirt. That is their team and they have every right to show their support. The majority of Alabama fans are nice. It just takes a few jerks to ruin a good rivaly. Usually, these people have never attended college, or, are just plain classless, or both. They love to dish it out, but can't handle any comebacks.

Thats totally right, I for one think it goes the same on both sides. The majority of AU fans that I have ran into are nice, but like you said a few can be jerks. Its all about who you support and thats all that matters, who cares if the other guy likes your rival. Dont fall to their ignorant level. (i might have spelled ignorant wrong, does that make me ignorant ? LOL)

Archived