Follow the Leader

MDM4AU

Follow the Leader

November 1st, 2006

Like a lot of you, I was saddened by the death of Red Auerbach. Of course, Auerbach was the Hall of Fame coach who led the Boston Celtics to nine NBA championships in the 1950s and 1960s. Auerbach won and amazing 938 games with the Celtics and was the winningest coach in NBA history for decades. As general manager, the straight-shooting Auerbach, who celebrated victories with a post-game cigar (and who doesn’t love an old guy with a cigar?), was also the architect of the Celtics dynasty that won seven more titles in the 1970s and 1980s.

Okay, as you all know I don’t know a thing about sports. I got all of the above from this flash-in-the-pan Inter-web that everyone’s so fond of (the ditto machine?—now that was technology). But when I read about Red Auerbach’s passing last weekend, I got drawn into his story. See, I’m fascinated by people who have such an impact on our popular culture, and it got me thinking. A guy like Red Auerbach transcends sports not just because he was so successful, but because he was a charismatic visionary who people not only liked, but respected. He was a leader.

From our government to the place where you go to work everyday, there are lots of people “in charge,” but there aren’t a whole lot of “leaders.” And that’s too bad because we’re at a time when we could really use a few (unfortunately, it’s not exactly a position you can place a Want Ad for). There have been a few in my lifetime that stand out. I’ve always admired Johnny Carson for conducting himself as the consummate gentleman, and Bob Hope’s dedication to our troops—especially in the 1960s and 70s when such sentiments weren’t that popular—was nothing short of inspiring. One leader I know a whole lot better than the others…a great man like my dad.

Usually, you can spot the real deal a mile away…they’re the ones who people seem to want to follow, whether or not they’ve actually demonstrated they know exactly where they’re going. Take Colin Powell—being the president of the United States would certainly have been a lot different that Secretary of State or a General in the Army, but people sensed he could do it. Leaders you can feel in your gut—men like Ronald Reagan, a guy who was a leader right out of Central Casting. Barack Obama is another guy people are crazy about these days. Sure, he’s a U.S. Senator and gave a pretty good speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2004, but I haven’t seen much else to let me know this guy is capable of more. But who knows—maybe he’s got the stuff.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that I’m tired of being disappointed—be it doped-up athletes taking the awe out of human achievement, predatory Congressmen preying on our kids or John Kerry bashing our soldiers, where are the men who’ll inspire us…who’ll make us believe that we’re capable of great things even when we’re dealing with doubt and dissent both at home and away. “At home”…”away”–yes, that was another sports reference—maybe I know more than I thought? Okay, you’re right—I’m pushing it.

So back to Red Auerbach. He was an outspoken old white guy heading up a very integrated team in crotchety Boston at a time when, well…there were certainly easier jobs for an outspoken old white guy to have. But race never got in his way because Red was above that—he was a man of character who championed individual ability as a means toward success for the whole team. Like I said, he was a leader and he’ll be missed. These days, we haven’t a lot to spare.

-glenn

http://www.glennbeck.com/home/

Archived