USC's Pete Carroll

lukeduke

Something I find fascinating is the amount of influence people THINK coaches, teachers and adults have on 16-22 year olds' language. I was cussing in the fifth grade. So were all my friends. If any of you were to get to know my family and friends, you'd say we're all good, sound people. When asked if I cussed in the fifth grade, most would answer "no." But I did. High school football players cuss too. What is gained through censoring a coaches' vocabulary?

I agree for the most part but I would just ask....would you feel comfortable sitting with your 16 year old daughter watching TV and hearing the F-word used frequently by someone you would want her to look up to as an example of good charatcer?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree for the most part but I would just ask....would you feel comfortable sitting with your 16 year old daughter watching TV and hearing the F-word used frequently by someone you would want her to look up to as an example of good charatcer?

Would I feel comfortable? Not sure if that question is relevant for me. I think that as long as I felt comfortable with my parenting since the day she was born, I wouldn't care about what some other man says on a football field. If it was a situation where I felt bothered by it, I would address it with her. I'm sure my 16 year old daughter has gone to see movies where the protagonist drops the F-bomb frequently. If she can handle that, she can handle a coach doing it.

To answer your question more directly, I would be ok with it.

Something I find fascinating is the amount of influence people THINK coaches, teachers and adults have on 16-22 year olds' language. I was cussing in the fifth grade. So were all my friends. If any of you were to get to know my family and friends, you'd say we're all good, sound people. When asked if I cussed in the fifth grade, most would answer "no." But I did. High school football players cuss too. What is gained through censoring a coaches' vocabulary?

Exactly!!! And if one of her teachers was cussing in class, using the F word, wouldn't you be one of the first to have that teacher removed from his / her position. Coaches should not be held in a different light than any other teacher.

Exactly!!! And if one of her teachers was cussing in class, using the F word, wouldn't you be one of the first to have that teacher removed from his / her position. Coaches should not be held in a different light than any other teacher.

I have professors that use the F word frequently. It doesn't bother me nor the 10+ girls in my class. I had a few teachers in high school cuss as well. It was rare, but it did happen. I was adult enough to handle it thanks to proper parenting from my parents. I think it's more of a maturity level on the student's part - or in your case, the maturity of the parent.

You didn't answer my question. Let me repeat. Would you feel comfortable turning on a game and watching it with a 10-16 year old daughter and the coach who you would like her to consider an example of good character uses the f-word as you watch together. It doesn't have to be a coach, substitute someone other person.

I have professors that use the F word frequently. It doesn't bother me nor the 10+ girls in my class. I had a few teachers in high school cuss as well. It was rare, but it did happen. I was adult enough to handle it thanks to proper parenting from my parents. I think it's more of a maturity level on the student's part - or in your case, the maturity of the parent.

You didn't answer my question. Let me repeat. Would you feel comfortable turning on a game and watching it with a 10-16 year old daughter and the coach who you would like her to consider an example of good character uses the f-word as you watch together. It doesn't have to be a coach, substitute someone other person.

I answered your question exactly. I'll repost it if you missed it.

Would I feel comfortable? Not sure if that question is relevant for me. I think that as long as I felt comfortable with my parenting since the day she was born, I wouldn't care about what some other man says on a football field. If it was a situation where I felt bothered by it, I would address it with her. I'm sure my 16 year old daughter has gone to see movies where the protagonist drops the F-bomb frequently. If she can handle that, she can handle a coach doing it.

I answered your question exactly. I'll repost it if you missed it.

That's fine and I respect your position. I would just note that a character in a movie is not usually a real person I would expect her to look up to as an example of good character whereas a Tubs or Shula are.

I feel differently and hope you respect that as well.

That's fine and I respect your position. I would just note that a character in a movie is not usually a real person I would expect her to look up to as an example of good character whereas a Tubs or Shula are.

I feel differently and hope you respect that as well.

I understand that a movie character is different than a living idol/hero. I'm trying to convey that I feel like it's the responsibility of the parent to teach their children the difference between appropriate and inappropriate language. If my 16 year old kid thinks that because they have heard their idol cuss it means they should too, then I have failed as a parent in that department.

I also understand your position and understand that most people feel the way you do. Therefore, I plan on teaching my children not to use profanity.

I want to say that cussing is just a form of expression deemed inappropriate by a person a long time ago.

You are missing my point. You may not mind cussing by teachers, but I know for a fact as a teacher in a public school that if I cussed, I would be reprimanded and if I did it more than once I would be fired. My point is that those people who are molding our childrens minds (including coaches) should not be cussing in front of them. I don't care if they are in public schools or colleges. I know a couple of teachers who have been fired because of their language. Not many but there have been some.

It happens, It's college football

Hammer meet nail.

Hammer=Pete Carroll

Nail=Mike Shula

Therefore Shula =Carroll

Back where we started. Thanks for the mathematical proof.

So the thread had gotten back on track AGAIN...two pages worth...and you are now doing your best to piss all over it again. How old are you? (notice i didnt call you any names...nor did i even suggest you are acting like a 9 year old....i just asked how old you were because ive always wondered)

BACK to the subject. Not that it has any relevance to this topic...but by the time you are 16-17-18 years old...your coach dropping an F bomb is MUCH less likely to make a dent in your mind since you cant even hear his f bomb due to the 3.73 million f bombs coming from your teammates.

And though none of my high school teachers never used the f word...some of them did use other bad words...and all the students liked those teachers the most. Because they felt they could relate to those teachers...and it made them seem more human. And it ultimately made some kids trust in that teacher. Which Im guessing made them more open to what the prof was trying to say.

16 year old kids are human too. And its good to know that they arent being held to some wholly unattainable standard. And many of those other stuffy teachers would have a heart attack if they heard another teacher say a curse word...but theyd turn around and talk about about their kids the SECOND they were out of the room...or have some other character flaw that isnt as easy to pick on because THEY only hold themselves to high standards when it comes to not having a potty mouth.

I don't know about you, but I don't like to substitute people as role models for my kid. I present myself as a role model for my kid, why designate someone else to be your children's role model??? :no:

You are missing my point. You may not mind cussing by teachers, but I know for a fact as a teacher in a public school that if I cussed, I would be reprimanded and if I did it more than once I would be fired. My point is that those people who are molding our childrens minds (including coaches) should not be cussing in front of them. I don't care if they are in public schools or colleges. I know a couple of teachers who have been fired because of their language. Not many but there have been some.

I know where you are coming from and it's not fair. For some reason coaches are allowed to cuss and teacher's aren't. However, to be fair, those same parents that are OK with coaches cussing are usually ok with teacher's cussing. It's the parents that aren't ok with either cussing that are causing the problems. Cuss words are just words...they have no other effect in life other than expressing one's emotions. If somebody doesn't know a substitute word for SH T or the F word, then they probably shouldn't be allowed to be around children in the first place.

Hammer meet nail.

Hammer=Pete Carroll

Nail=Mike Shula

Therefore Shula =Carroll

So the thread had gotten back on track AGAIN...two pages worth...and you are now doing your best to piss all over it again. How old are you? (notice i didnt call you any names...nor did i even suggest you are acting like a 9 year old....i just asked how old you were because ive always wondered)

BACK to the subject. Not that it has any relevance to this topic...but by the time you are 16-17-18 years old...your coach dropping an F bomb is MUCH less likely to make a dent in your mind since you cant even hear his f bomb due to the 3.73 million f bombs coming from your teammates.

And though none of my high school teachers never used the f word...some of them did use other bad words...and all the students liked those teachers the most. Because they felt they could relate to those teachers...and it made them seem more human. And it ultimately made some kids trust in that teacher. Which Im guessing made them more open to what the prof was trying to say.

16 year old kids are human too. And its good to know that they arent being held to some wholly unattainable standard. And many of those other stuffy teachers would have a heart attack if they heard another teacher say a curse word...but theyd turn around and talk about about their kids the SECOND they were out of the room...or have some other character flaw that isnt as easy to pick on because THEY only hold themselves to high standards when it comes to not having a potty mouth.

In this day and age when teachers are fired or taken to court for anything, they should not be cussing. I am considered a cool teacher to my students, how do I know? My classes (which are an elective) are full with waiting lists. But I don't cuss in class and I never would. My system would fire me if I were to cuss in class. So am I a stuffy teacher because I don't cuss ? I relate to my students very well and have done so for the last 26 years. I don't care how cool a teacher is or not, they should set an example for their students and not cuss, coach or no coach, cool or not!

No offense to teachers...but when I was 16 years old, my language wasnt one of the things that they had ANY influence on one way or another.

I had some great teachers. All the way through college. But the ones who made a difference were the ones who didnt take themselves too seriously. And if I heard one using foul language...it wouldnt MAKE me use it. Nor would I stop, if i had a potty mouth...just because I didnt hear it from my teachers.

I mean, I didnt NOT smoke cigs when I was in high school...just because my teachers never did. But the ones I knew smoked...sure didnt influence me to want to try it.

I know where you are coming from and it's not fair. For some reason coaches are allowed to cuss and teacher's aren't. However, to be fair, those same parents that are OK with coaches cussing are usually ok with teacher's cussing. It's the parents that aren't ok with either cussing that are causing the problems. Cuss words are just words...they have no other effect in life other than expressing one's emotions. If somebody doesn't know a substitute word for SH T or the F word, then they probably shouldn't be allowed to be around children in the first place.

Okay, I think I may have missed your point then. It is just that as a teacher I see those same parents complaining when the regular teacher cusses. So I guess we are on the same target. I have plenty of alternative words for those bad words. I agree with you on your point about the parents, teachers and coaches as well.

No offense to teachers...but when I was 16 years old, my language wasnt one of the things that they had ANY influence on one way or another.

I had some great teachers. All the way through college. But the ones who made a difference were the ones who didnt take themselves too seriously. And if I heard one using foul language...it wouldnt MAKE me use it. Nor would I stop, if i had a potty mouth...just because I didnt hear it from my teachers.

I mean, I didnt NOT smoke cigs when I was in high school...just because my teachers never did. But the ones I knew smoked...sure didnt influence me to want to try it.

I'm not saying that a teacher has any influence over a student because of thier language. I am just saying that we are role models for these kids and we should set an example. I am not saying I don't use bad language either, but I never, ever, use it in front of my students. You are correct as well about the teachers who don't take themselves too seriously. Some of those think they are above reproach. My point is and will always be, if you are in the public eye as an educator of children and young people, you should set a good example.

For the record...im not saying using foul language makes you cool....smoking makes you cool.

Cough, cough, choke. I don't think so!! LOL

FYI - City if Auburn (all restaurants, etc) becomes no smoking next week! Not that you probably care, just thought I would mention it.

For the record...im not saying using foul language makes you cool....smoking makes you cool.

Cough, cough, choke. I don't think so!! LOL

FYI - City if Auburn (all restaurants, etc) becomes no smoking next week! Not that you probably care, just thought I would mention it.

I think every public building in the world should be smoke free. But thats another topic all together. From what I understand, its an insult to smokers everywhere for a bar owner to take away their GOD given right to MAKE me get second hand lung cancer.

Hammer meet nail.

Hammer=Pete Carroll

Nail=Mike Shula

Therefore Shula =Carroll

Who asked you anything?

:moon::moon::moon:

And what does my age have to do with anything. Let's just say that I'm old enough to know better than to spend enormous amounts of my time antagonizing people on my main rivals mesage boards. You should quit being such a hypocrit. Last week you got your panties in a wad saying I was following you around and said I called you a liar. You still haven't quoted a post where I called you a liar and won't because I didn't (not that I care).Then in this thread I asked a question without even coming close to mentioning you. You immediately jumped in and started the ugly diatribe. So who is following who around?

INMO if you are not A :au: fan and you are posting on this board and you don't like what is being said maybe you should look for another board, until then shut the hell up!

Thank you for putting in straight plain English. I can only add......Amen!!!!!

Two things:

1. This is not how this board operates and never has been. I have no sympathy for rival fans who come here and behave like jackasses, but that is not the case with Southlink or BamaGrad and a handful of others. Learn the difference. No one is going to be treated badly around here simply because of the team they cheer for.

2. This is officially the stupidest thread in recent memory. People are losing brain cells by the second.

Archived