What the Iron Bowl means (long)

BamaGrad03

This year the Iron Bowl won't mean much on a national scale. But that doesnt negate the fact that it means everything. People dont like to label the Iron Bowl as the greatest rivalry in spots, those people simply dont get it. They think a baseball "rivalry" thats played 16+ times a season is the greatest rivalry in all of sports. Even though you could get tickets on the street for just over face in their last playoff series. Try going to an iron bowl when both teams are in the title hunt and offer 60ea to the first scalper you see. Hope you dont mind being laughed at. My friends from the midwest always told me it was Ohio St/Michigan. Then some of those friends attended their first iron bowl. One of them explained to me "how can two groups of people hate each other so much...and love each other so much at the same time?". He was also amazed that fans cheered even though there wasnt a turnover or a TD.

Part of why the Iron Bowl doesnt get the deserved attention is because we are in the SEC. People dont want to get the SEC ANY credit because we already get so much on our own merit. But at the end of the day, we could both be 0-10 headed into the game, and national television is fighting over the rights for the game. Ive experienced many rivalries first hand. And if it isnt Army/Navy, then it HAS to be the Iron Bowl.

THIS is what the iron bowl is to me:

Its wrong way Bo. Its punt bama punt. Its being in a rivalry where both teams have been nationally relavent more than 15 years (im talking to you FSU/Miami). The Iron Bowl is Van Tiffin and Bo over the top. Not "Lousiville vs Kentucky or WVU". The Iron Bowl matters because people remember more than just the score. It is a rivalry first and a football game second. Its not just bragging rights, its the right to utterly HUMILIATE your rival for 364 days. Its going 1-11 and STILL having those rights, because that one was THE one. The state has only 5 million people, but the rivalry has more books written about it than many other major sporting events.

And you know what...it IS "fear the thumb". Because we dont care if we offend (see Rammer Jammer also). Because we know that we have to rub it in when we can. Because if we dont do it...THEY will next year. The Iron Bowl is hating Carnell and Ronnie on saturdays, but pulling for them on sundays. Its Auburn fans drafting Shaun Alexander in their fantasy league but they wont pick up TO on principle. The Iron Bowl is tailgating with rival fans, hating them for 3.5 hours, and buying them a drink afterword because...well...you lost. The Iron Bowl is "youd better not have that baby on Nov 18th, because I wont be there". Its not planning a wedding from August through Jan. Its becoming a Vanderbilt fan for one saturday a year...holding out hope beyond hope that you can rub THAT in too.

But why is it the greatest rivalry in history? Because the hate is so real, but it is a "respectful hate". If that exists. Its the civil war. Brother against Brother. LSU fans trying to pile on on Bama and AU fans going "wait a second"...I can make fun of my brother...but you cant.

So this saturday, there wont be a bigger Bama fan than me. I'll hate you guys for 3.5 hours. But because I also realize that I couldnt be a part of the biggest rivalry without AU...gulp...War Damn Eagle.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This year the Iron Bowl won't mean much on a national scale. But that doesnt negate the fact that it means everything. People dont like to label the Iron Bowl as the greatest rivalry in spots, those people simply dont get it. They think a baseball "rivalry" thats played 16+ times a season is the greatest rivalry in all of sports. Even though you could get tickets on the street for just over face in their last playoff series. Try going to an iron bowl when both teams are in the title hunt and offer 60ea to the first scalper you see. Hope you dont mind being laughed at. My friends from the midwest always told me it was Ohio St/Michigan. Then some of those friends attended their first iron bowl. One of them explained to me "how can two groups of people hate each other so much...and love each other so much at the same time?". He was also amazed that fans cheered even though there wasnt a turnover or a TD.

Part of why the Iron Bowl doesnt get the deserved attention is because we are in the SEC. People dont want to get the SEC ANY credit because we already get so much on our own merit. But at the end of the day, we could both be 0-10 headed into the game, and national television is fighting over the rights for the game. Ive experienced many rivalries first hand. And if it isnt Army/Navy, then it HAS to be the Iron Bowl.

Its wrong way Bo. Its punt bama punt. Its being in a rivalry where both teams have been nationally relavent more than 15 years (im talking to you FSU/Miami). The Iron Bowl is Van Tiffin and Bo over the top. Not "Lousiville vs Kentucky or WVU". The Iron Bowl matters because people remember more than just the score. It is a rivalry first and a football game second. Its not just bragging rights, its the right to utterly HUMILIATE your rival for 364 days. Its going 1-11 and STILL having those rights, because that one was THE one. The state has only 5 million people, but the rivalry has more books written about it than many other major sporting events.

And you know what...it IS "fear the thumb". Because we dont care if we offend (see Rammer Jammer also). Because we know that we have to rub it in when we can. Because if we dont do it...THEY will next year. The Iron Bowl is hating Carnell and Ronnie on saturdays, but pulling for them on sundays. Its Auburn fans drafting Shaun Alexander in their fantasy league but they wont pick up TO on principle. The Iron Bowl is tailgating with rival fans, hating them for 3.5 hours, and buying them a drink afterword because...well...you lost. The Iron Bowl is "youd better not have that baby on Nov 18th, because I wont be there". Its not planning a wedding from August through Jan. Its becoming a Vanderbilt fan for one saturday a year...holding out hope beyond hope that you can rub THAT in too.

But why is it the greatest rivalry in history? Because the hate is so real, but it is a "respectful hate". If that exists. Its the civil war. Brother against Brother. LSU fans trying to pile on on Bama and AU fans going "wait a second"...I can make fun of my brother...but you cant.

So this saturday, there wont be a bigger Bama fan than me. I'll hate you guys for 3.5 hours. But because I also realize that I couldnt be a part of the biggest rivalry without AU...gulp...War Damn Eagle.

I just shed a tear.

Well written. Now, I hope Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson looks like a lawn dart on Saturday. I'm tired of seeing our boy on his back!

Because the hate is so real, but it is a "respectful hate".

You're a moron. Bama is not respected by Auburn fans, nor do Bama fans offer respect to Auburn and its fans.

Your attempt at revisionist history is scoffed at by anyone who has ever encountered the "bammer". We all know who he/she is.

"how can two groups of people hate each other so much...and love each other so much at the same time?". He was also amazed that fans

Who loves a bammer?

"how can two groups of people hate each other so much...and love each other so much at the same time?". He was also amazed that fans

Who loves a bammer?

Exactly. Bama epitomizes all that is wrong in collegiate sports. The "history" and "tradition" are built upon a corrupt foundation.

way to piss all over my thread guys.

Just trying to bring some reality into your fantasy world. There's no love lost in this rivalry and you should know that. Anything else you spew is just disingenuous.

way to piss all over my thread guys.

Just trying to bring some reality into your fantasy world. There's no love lost in this rivalry and you should know that. Anything else you spew is just disingenuous.

Amen!!!

that has to be the most respectable things I have ever heard from a rival and I agree 100% You deserve a beer for that one

There really was no need to go there.

I liked the thread. It is one of the oddities of this rivalry that it's so intense, but you so rarely have any of the extracurricular crap that surrounds other rivalries, like FSU-Florida. I can't remember ever seeing a bunch of cheap shots, pushing and shoving and so on, much less a full blown melee like some other series have. Even the fans usually don't get into it beyond some shouting and heckling.

Very well said, BG.

Classy post by a classy guy.

I agree.

So what am I missing? We're ready to forgive and forget the cheating/backstabbing/oppression because Bama's feeling magnanimous after getting humbled the past few years? Screw that.

This week, more than any other, I expect Auburn fans to reflect on how hard our University has had to work against the crimson forces to get where we are. Once you do that, I hope you'll join me in telling BG to get bent with his gladhanding garbage post.

So what am I missing? We're ready to forgive and forget the cheating/backstabbing/oppression because Bama's feeling magnanimous after getting humbled the past few years? Screw that.

This week, more than any other, I expect Auburn fans to reflect on how hard our University has had to work against the crimson forces to get where we are. Once you do that, I hope you'll join me in telling BG to get bent with his gladhanding garbage post.

I didn't say I love bammer. I said his post was classy, and it was.

Very well said, BG.

I agree.

You're missing that BG is none of those things and that's who wrote the post.

Someone's been dipping into the Bush speechwriting pool. Land of false dichotomies. I can hate Bama AND realize that this rivalry is different than the classless hatred some other rivalries have.

Very well said, BG.

I agree.

You're missing that BG is none of those things and that's who wrote the post.

Someone's been dipping into the Bush speechwriting pool. Land of false dichotomies. I can hate Bama AND realize that this rivalry is different than the classless hatred some other rivalries have.

Well, forgive me if I forego the shower you're all about to share with BG.

Nice job BG...my parents were Bammars...and I must admit...I loved them.

:au::homer:

Very well said, BG.

I agree.

Archived