What the Iron Bowl means (long)

BamaGrad03

Very well said, BG.

Classy post by a classy guy.

I agree.

So what am I missing? We're ready to forgive and forget the cheating/backstabbing/oppression because Bama's feeling magnanimous after getting humbled the past few years? Screw that.

This week, more than any other, I expect Auburn fans to reflect on how hard our University has had to work against the crimson forces to get where we are. Once you do that, I hope you'll join me in telling BG to get bent with his gladhanding garbage post.

Careful, you will get another memo. But screw it, I'll share next week on suspension with you. :big:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Iron Bowl to me is

A reminder of how thankful I am that as a young child I chose to be an Auburn Tiger.

A reminder of how sad I am that so many of my family are Bama fans.

Taking jabs at Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents, Friends when Auburn wins.

Having Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents, Friends take jabs at me when Bama wins.

Bragging about an Auburn win all the way to kickoff of the next year.

Hearing Bama fans brag about a Bama win all the way to kickoff of the next year.

The fond memories of playing neighborhood football as a child on Iron Bowl game day with my AU Jersey.

-Michael

But, wait...I thought the IB didn't really matter anymore as UT was now uat's biggest rival? B)

I must have missed the memo. ;)

p.s. It really was a well written post bg.

Very well said, BG.

Classy post by a classy guy.

I agree.

So what am I missing? We're ready to forgive and forget the cheating/backstabbing/oppression because Bama's feeling magnanimous after getting humbled the past few years? Screw that.

This week, more than any other, I expect Auburn fans to reflect on how hard our University has had to work against the crimson forces to get where we are. Once you do that, I hope you'll join me in telling BG to get bent with his gladhanding garbage post.

Careful, you will get another memo. But screw it, I'll share next week on suspension with you. :big:

SIMMA DA NA!!!!!!!! :lol:

:au::homer:

Great post BG! I think I'm getting a little verklempt. I'll give you a topic. The Iron Bowl is neither an Iron or a Bowl. Discuss.

War Eagle!

:roflol: That's a good one. I actually did laugh out loud. :thumbsup:

What the Iron Bowl means to me:

Not speaking to my Bammer wife for 24 hours.

She is really nice! B)

For once I am going to go against my principles and respond to a bammer thread. Nice post BG. To me the IB is the biggest game of the year but after it is all said and done it is only a game. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

so uh, that sucks if your team wins that night....i would guess she is pretty ticked off for a few days at least........ :poke:

She is really nice! B)

Hey - that restraining order is still in effect. Remember, 50 feet at all times.

so uh, that sucks if your team wins that night....i would guess she is pretty ticked off for a few days at least........

Well, we've been to the last 4 Iron Bowls together, so I can't break the mojo this year. She usually gets over it by Sunday afternoon. :big:

Guest Tigrinum Major

While I feel no hard feeling against BG the person, I disagree vehemently with some of his points. I would never defend an Alabama fan against a rival fan, LSU or otherwise. I do not love the group of people known as Alabama fans. I have some friends and even family members (by marriage, my wife has some cousins who never saw the light) who happen to be Alabama graduates or fans, but overall, if the only way I know a person is through their football team affiliation, I do not care for them. There has never been a widespread respect between the two fanbases. Individuals, yes. Groups, no. Pat Dye summed it up when he said that Alabama fans did not want Auburn fans to walk on the same side of the street.

All because of relative football success. That is what kills me. Our worth as fans, alumni, and supporters of Auburn is defined in the eyes of the ignorant and uninformed by the relative success of our football team as compared to theirs. Those that know realize that Auburn is one of the top public education institutions in the nation, with astronauts (more than any school save Purdue and the service academies), generals and admirals, and leaders in the business and scientific world being Auburn grads.

So, forgive me if I also forego the lovefest. Nothing personal, BG, but I find it difficult to put away too many years of hard feelings just because we have held the upper hand lately.

So, forgive me if I also forego the lovefest. Nothing personal, BG, but I find it difficult to put away too many years of hard feelings just because we have held the upper hand lately.

It's a game, bud. A game. Enjoy the victories, cry over the losses, but it's just a game played by KIDS.

<soapbox mode off>

This year the Iron Bowl won't mean much on a national scale. But that doesnt negate the fact that it means everything. People dont like to label the Iron Bowl as the greatest rivalry in spots, those people simply dont get it. They think a baseball "rivalry" thats played 16+ times a season is the greatest rivalry in all of sports. Even though you could get tickets on the street for just over face in their last playoff series. Try going to an iron bowl when both teams are in the title hunt and offer 60ea to the first scalper you see. Hope you dont mind being laughed at. My friends from the midwest always told me it was Ohio St/Michigan. Then some of those friends attended their first iron bowl. One of them explained to me "how can two groups of people hate each other so much...and love each other so much at the same time?". He was also amazed that fans cheered even though there wasnt a turnover or a TD.

Part of why the Iron Bowl doesnt get the deserved attention is because we are in the SEC. People dont want to get the SEC ANY credit because we already get so much on our own merit. But at the end of the day, we could both be 0-10 headed into the game, and national television is fighting over the rights for the game. Ive experienced many rivalries first hand. And if it isnt Army/Navy, then it HAS to be the Iron Bowl.

THIS is what the iron bowl is to me:

Its wrong way Bo. Its punt bama punt. Its being in a rivalry where both teams have been nationally relavent more than 15 years (im talking to you FSU/Miami). The Iron Bowl is Van Tiffin and Bo over the top. Not "Lousiville vs Kentucky or WVU". The Iron Bowl matters because people remember more than just the score. It is a rivalry first and a football game second. Its not just bragging rights, its the right to utterly HUMILIATE your rival for 364 days. Its going 1-11 and STILL having those rights, because that one was THE one. The state has only 5 million people, but the rivalry has more books written about it than many other major sporting events.

And you know what...it IS "fear the thumb". Because we dont care if we offend (see Rammer Jammer also). Because we know that we have to rub it in when we can. Because if we dont do it...THEY will next year. The Iron Bowl is hating Carnell and Ronnie on saturdays, but pulling for them on sundays. Its Auburn fans drafting Shaun Alexander in their fantasy league but they wont pick up TO on principle. The Iron Bowl is tailgating with rival fans, hating them for 3.5 hours, and buying them a drink afterword because...well...you lost. The Iron Bowl is "youd better not have that baby on Nov 18th, because I wont be there". Its not planning a wedding from August through Jan. Its becoming a Vanderbilt fan for one saturday a year...holding out hope beyond hope that you can rub THAT in too.

But why is it the greatest rivalry in history? Because the hate is so real, but it is a "respectful hate". If that exists. Its the civil war. Brother against Brother. LSU fans trying to pile on on Bama and AU fans going "wait a second"...I can make fun of my brother...but you cant.

So this saturday, there wont be a bigger Bama fan than me. I'll hate you guys for 3.5 hours. But because I also realize that I couldnt be a part of the biggest rivalry without AU...gulp...War Damn Eagle.

That is so well put. I agree totally.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I agree that its just a game. You obviously missed my point that only those that truly don't understand the big picture judge us by the results of said game. But the fact that people who have no clue what Auburn OR Alabama is all about, given that they have made no greater investment in the team than buying a meshback crimson cap, judge me because I am an Auburn man, well, let's just say that I hold a little resentment towards them.

The results of this game will make no difference to me in regards to my quality of life. But it will make me a little happier each and every day of the next 365 if we win. And that's a far cry from when I was growing up and I was in a vast minority of collegiate affiliation and I was subjected to ridicule and scoffing, all over the results of a football game. I don't rub the losses in my friend's faces. But I do walk around with a smile.

Guest Big Tiger
Because the hate is so real, but it is a "respectful hate".

You're a moron. Bama is not respected by Auburn fans, nor do Bama fans offer respect to Auburn and its fans.

Your attempt at revisionist history is scoffed at by anyone who has ever encountered the "bammer". We all know who he/she is.

Balla, name calla.

You're a moron. Bama is not respected by Auburn fans, nor do Bama fans offer respect to Auburn and its fans.

Your attempt at revisionist history is scoffed at by anyone who has ever encountered the "bammer". We all know who he/she is.

Balla, name calla.

Holla?

Hey, why don't I just go and eat some hay. I can lay by the bay, make things out of clay, I just may, what'd ya say?

I agree that its just a game. You obviously missed my point that only those that truly don't understand the big picture judge us by the results of said game. But the fact that people who have no clue what Auburn OR Alabama is all about, given that they have made no greater investment in the team than buying a meshback crimson cap, judge me because I am an Auburn man, well, let's just say that I hold a little resentment towards them.

The results of this game will make no difference to me in regards to my quality of life. But it will make me a little happier each and every day of the next 365 if we win. And that's a far cry from when I was growing up and I was in a vast minority of collegiate affiliation and I was subjected to ridicule and scoffing, all over the results of a football game. I don't rub the losses in my friend's faces. But I do walk around with a smile.

Well, I've stayed away from this thread because a certain person will get his panties in a wad and think i'm following him around. He's not that important. But, I must interject. Respectful hate??? These words just made me fall out of my chair. I don't care which side you are on in this thing, you don't respect the other. EVER. UAT fans hate Auburn fans, and Auburn fans hate uat fans. It's that simple. This is NOT brother vs. brother. This statement goes back to the never ending drivel that Auburn and its fans are the "little brother" to the almighty crimson swine. This is all judged by the success of said football program. This is the same program that has its fans run around thumping their chests about how many MNC's they've won, and thats always thrown into any conversation with any uat fan. They can't discuss football without bringing this into the discussion, whether its about their own program or some other program. EVERYONE associated with college football (including them) knowss they are FAKE TITLES that they "claim to have won", but were awarded YEARS after the fact. Disagree with me all you want, but UAT has one period in their history where they had the upper hand against us...ONE...that was during their era of one of the most corrupt, arrogant and cheating coaches ever to walk the sidelines. This is the same coach that said: "Anytime Alabama gets investigated Auburn goes on probation." This is the same coach that turned in other programs around the south just to keep the NCAA away from his own program. This program at uat has been cheating the system and paying players since the 1920's and it hasn't stopped. This university uses allegedly secret groups(although we all they exist) to undermine EVERYTHING in the entire state of alabama. What this program and unviersity has done to the state, not just on the football field but in every other aspect is just total absolute corruption.

This game is about hatred..nothing else. I make no bones about where i stand. My allegiance is to Auburn university and its players/coaches and administration. I detest everything associated with UAT. I will NEVER cheer for them in anything....even it were to help us in the standings in some way... I want UAT to LOSE every game they ever play in every sport. I also get to cheer for Auburn each and every week, + 12 different teams at least once during the season. I don't wear crimson/red/burgundy...anything close to that is off limits.

What is this crap about UAT and Auburn fans defending each other if another rival steps in??? Absolute horse hockey... If a rival fan gets a good jab in to a uat fan...I'll not only laugh, but encourage the onslaught... Uat fans are historically the most arrogant, egotistical fan base in all of college football. This attitude that they think they invested college football sickens me. This attitude that "we will win because we are alabama man"....(yes I had that told to me on another board). The attitude that they think they are the premier program in the country and the state, when the reality is they've been mired in mediorcrity for years...and show no signs of that changing any time soon. They have lost 5 of their last 6 to their biggest rival..(no its not Tennessee, like they'll tell you now) yet they still proclaim to be the greatest thing on earth.

Avoid the rush....HATE UAT EARLY AND OFTEN....

Balla, name calla.

Holla?

Hey, why don't I just go and eat some hay. I can lay by the bay, make things out of clay, I just may, what'd ya say?

I think you guys need to lay off the mushrooms..... B)

Well, I've stayed away from this thread because a certain person will get his panties in a wad and think i'm following him around. He's not that important. But, I must interject. Respectful hate??? These words just made me fall out of my chair. I don't care which side you are on in this thing, you don't respect the other. EVER. UAT fans hate Auburn fans, and Auburn fans hate uat fans. It's that simple. This is NOT brother vs. brother. This statement goes back to the never ending drivel that Auburn and its fans are the "little brother" to the almighty crimson swine. This is all judged by the success of said football program. This is the same program that has its fans run around thumping their chests about how many MNC's they've won, and thats always thrown into any conversation with any uat fan. They can't discuss football without bringing this into the discussion, whether its about their own program or some other program. EVERYONE associated with college football (including them) knowss they are FAKE TITLES that they "claim to have won", but were awarded YEARS after the fact. Disagree with me all you want, but UAT has one period in their history where they had the upper hand against us...ONE...that was during their era of one of the most corrupt, arrogant and cheating coaches ever to walk the sidelines. This is the same coach that said: "Anytime Alabama gets investigated Auburn goes on probation." This is the same coach that turned in other programs around the south just to keep the NCAA away from his own program. This program at uat has been cheating the system and paying players since the 1920's and it hasn't stopped. This university uses allegedly secret groups(although we all they exist) to undermine EVERYTHING in the entire state of alabama. What this program and unviersity has done to the state, not just on the football field but in every other aspect is just total absolute corruption.

This game is about hatred..nothing else. I make no bones about where i stand. My allegiance is to Auburn university and its players/coaches and administration. I detest everything associated with UAT. I will NEVER cheer for them in anything....even it were to help us in the standings in some way... I want UAT to LOSE every game they ever play in every sport. I also get to cheer for Auburn each and every week, + 12 different teams at least once during the season. I don't wear crimson/red/burgundy...anything close to that is off limits.

What is this crap about UAT and Auburn fans defending each other if another rival steps in??? Absolute horse hockey... If a rival fan gets a good jab in to a uat fan...I'll not only laugh, but encourage the onslaught... Uat fans are historically the most arrogant, egotistical fan base in all of college football. This attitude that they think they invested college football sickens me. This attitude that "we will win because we are alabama man"....(yes I had that told to me on another board). The attitude that they think they are the premier program in the country and the state, when the reality is they've been mired in mediorcrity for years...and show no signs of that changing any time soon. They have lost 5 of their last 6 to their biggest rival..(no its not Tennessee, like they'll tell you now) yet they still proclaim to be the greatest thing on earth.

Avoid the rush....HATE UAT EARLY AND OFTEN....

Let's raise the offering.

Ahhhh pcola. I was waiting for you to chime in. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But forgive me while I disagree. See some of us (maybe just me) respect this STATE and its Universities enough to not let a football rivalry get in the way. I love this rivalry and I am opposed to all things Auburn. BUT...when I go out of state, you dont think I brag on Auburn UNIVERSITY as a positive educational reference for the state of alabama? Im sorry but I hate the SACS thing just as much as any Auburn fan because it reflects ultimately on the state of alabama.

So when some outsider comes in and starts bashing AU...chances are, Im gonna take up for Auburn. Because hell, my tax dollars go there. Its a university in the state that Im so very proud to live in...to be from.

Yes I do pull for other teams when they play Auburn. Im not a fan of the team. But I am a fan of the university. Because ultimately, it reflects on me. UAB has great doctors. Alabama has an excellent business and law program, and Auburn trains some of the best engineers you'll ever find. So again, forgive me if there are some times when I DONT bash my rival. Especially at the expense of the state that I love so much.

BUT...when I go out of state, you dont think I brag on Auburn UNIVERSITY as a positive educational reference for the state of alabama?

No actually I don't...I've never heard any UAT fan say one kind word about Auburn...EVER,

Yes I do pull for other teams when they play Auburn. Im not a fan of the team. But I am a fan of the university. Because ultimately, it reflects on me. UAB has great doctors. Alabama has an excellent business and law program, and Auburn trains some of the best engineers you'll ever find. So again, forgive me if there are some times when I DONT bash my rival. Especially at the expense of the state that I love so much.

If you love the state so much why do you support the very school that tries to control everything in the state, and dictate policies all over the state as well as control elections It's a lot more than hoping a football team loses every game. It's knowing that UAT has their fingers in every cookie jar in the state, and that the media never gets off its knees when it comes to UAT. Could it be the media knows that UAT and its crooked alumni control everything statewide, and its in their best interest to honk that bobo with uat, cause if they don't, uat will find someone who will....

Archived