San Francisco values at it again

Captain Liger

SAN FRANCISCO — High schools across the city soon will no longer have Junior Reserve Officers'Training Corps programs after officials decided to eliminate them because of the Pentagon's"don't ask, don't tell"policy regarding gay service members.

The Board of Education voted 4-2 late Tuesday to phase out the JROTC from schools over the next two years, despite protest from hundreds of students who rallied outside the meeting.

The resolution passed says the military's ban on openly gay soldiers violates the school district's equal rights policy for gays.

The school district and the military currently share the $1.6 million annual cost of the program. About 1,600 San Francisco students participate in JROTC at seven high schools across the district.

Cadets and instructors who spoke at the meeting and rallied outside argued that the program teaches leadership, organizational skills, personal responsibility and other important values.

"This is where the kids feel safe, the one place they feel safe,"said Robert Powell, a JROTC instructor."You're going to take that away from them?"

Mayor Gavin Newsom called severing ties with the JROTC"a bad idea"that penalized students without having any practical effect on the Pentagon's policy on gays in the military.

"If people want to participate in it and their families want them to participate, I think they have a right to participate without putting them in the political peril of being in this ideological debate,"he said.

Lt. Cmdr. Joe Carpenter, a Pentagon spokesman, has said he didn't know of any other school district having barred JROTC from its campuses.

LINK

JRTOC isn't mandatory, so I am unclear of how it would violate anyones rights.

Don't ask, don't tell also doesn't apply to JROTC. This isn't about "rights." It's about slapping the military in the face and saying "screw you." The wishes of 1600 kids be damned.

I wonder what Pelosi thinks about all this? Hmm....

Don't ask, don't tell also doesn't apply to JROTC. This isn't about "rights." It's about slapping the military in the face and saying "screw you." The wishes of 1600 kids be damned.

But my point was that if you are gay, and uninterested in following that protocol, you don't have to join JROTC.

It doesn't make much sense as to why an outright ban is necessary...

But my point was that if you are gay, and uninterested in following that protocol, you don't have to join JROTC.

You opinion is valid on all points. An outright ban ISN'T necessary...unless you have an agenda...which, apparently, SF does.

Does anything going on in San Francisco make much sense?

I saw something about this on TV one night this week. They interviewed several of the kids and the kids said there were gay kids in the JROTC program and all was fine. No one had a problem with the kids orientation whatsoever. I have to agree with Liger, this isn't about "rights." It's about slapping the military in the face and saying "screw you." The wishes of 1600 kids be damned. I also think you have hit the nail on the head. There is an agenda in play here.

I think the military should shut down all facilities in and around San Francisco. Take their MILLIONS of $$$$ out of the San Fran economy.

No, no, no, no, guys. You've got it all wrong. The dems support us, remember? That's what they keep telling us....in between calling us cold blooded murderers, nazi's, gulag camp guards, uneducated morons, etc. :big:

No, no, no, no, guys. You've got it all wrong. The dems support us, remember? That's what they keep telling us....in between calling us cold blooded murderers, nazi's, gulag camp guards, uneducated morons, etc. :big:

Man TIS, such clarity and from an uneducated enlisted too. Kerry doesnt know what to think about you...

I saw something about this on TV one night this week. They interviewed several of the kids and the kids said there were gay kids in the JROTC program and all was fine. No one had a problem with the kids orientation whatsoever. I have to agree with Liger, this isn't about "rights." It's about slapping the military in the face and saying "screw you." The wishes of 1600 kids be damned. I also think you have hit the nail on the head. There is an agenda in play here.

I think the military should shut down all facilities in and around San Francisco. Take their MILLIONS of $$$$ out of the San Fran economy.

I agree. This type of equalization is working now in old Europe. And they are whining like hell. Look at Germany. So we should pull out all military in and around there. Put up a sign in the ocean that says "Terrorists Enter Here." And spend our fed money elsewhere. But even the Mayor knows better. He may love gays, but as mayor, he loves money more......

Archived