Lefties abandon free speech again

TitanTiger

Time and again it seems, the left is abandoning the principle of free speech...that is unless consumers and radio stations decide to boycott the Dixie Chicks. If the voice speaking out is conservative, then "free speech" is politely ignored, especially on your average college campus these days:

One month to the day after the Republican club at Wells College (an all-women’s college located in Aurora, NY) published a study revealing a grossly disproportionate number of left-wing professors on its faculty, the student government denied recognition to the club as an official campus organization.

On November 7th, the Wells Republicans issued a press release describing the study they had conducted of the political party registrations of the members of the social sciences and humanities faculties at the college. The study revealed that members of parties of the Left (Democrats, Greens, Working Families) outnumbered Republicans by a ratio of 92 percent to 8 percent.

A Wells professor responded to the study calling Republicans "stupid" and calling for Republicans to be forcibly lobotomized. FrontPage Magazine promptly picked up this story.

The study and the college’s reaction to it were the subject of public affairs television shows in Syracuse and Ithaca, New York.

At a meeting of the Wells student government (known as "Collegiate") held on December 7, the Wells Republicans sought recognition as an official campus club. They garnered only 9 ‘yes’ votes from the student government, with 7 voting ‘no’ and 11 abstaining.

As a result of the vote, the club will not be granted a budget for its activities, although it can "grieve" support for specific events. Other clubs receive budgets of as much as thousands of dollars annually for their activities.

Said Wells Republican Chairwoman Kristy Lee Hochenberger, a junior from Syracuse, New York, "It’s hard to view this vote as anything other than retribution for the unpopular political views we espouse...

http://www.frontpagemagazine.com/Articles/...le.asp?ID=11247

Y'all are full of it. Anyone happen to notice that Wells is a private college? Anyone happen to notice that they held a vote of the student government to decide if the club should be accepted?

1) A private school can do anything it likes about authorizing student clubs.

2) A vote of the student government IS free speech.

3) Y'all are full of it.

1. So was ClearChannel pulling the DCs and consumers boycotting their products. Amazing how the lefties gain perspective on things when the shoe's on the other foot.

2. I wasn't talking about the Second Amendment, rather, the principle behind it. Colleges should be places that foster, not hinder, the free exchange of ideas. My argument still stands: liberals are all for free expression and exchange of ideas...as long as those ideas and expressions line up with their own beliefs. Otherwise, you're on your own.

3. What an incredibly lame attempt at avoiding real discussion of the issue.

Furthermore, if Wells simply refused to give recognition to clubs of a political nature, that would be one thing. That they only refuse to recognize ones that don't follow the Liberal Lock Step shows they aren't interested in "diversity" or "free exchange of ideas". They are interested in fostering left-wing thought only.

A list of recognized student organizations at Wells College includes:

American Indians in Science and Engineering Society (AISES): This organization works to create increased awareness of Native American culture and issues.

Amnesty International: Amnesty International is an international organization interested in promoting human rights. (and also one of the more left leaning organizations worldwide)

Green Geese: Green Geese is the campus environmental group providing community service and information to the campus about environmental issues; they also organize cleanups. Occasionally they have the opportunity to attend environmental conferences. They encourage members to recycle and to spread environmental conscience to the community. Green Geese is always looking for new members. Come join the fun.

Lesbian, Bisexual, Questioning, Transgendered and Allies (L.B.Q.T.A.): The purpose of L.B.Q.T.A. is to assist the entire Wells community to ensure the inclusion of every lesbian, bisexual, queer, questioning, transgendered and allied persons and to eliminate homophobia and heterosexism at Wells College by providing direct service, referral, programming, outreach, support and education.

Student Diversity Committee: The Student Diversity Committee shall support all students by advocating the diversity of race, ethnicity, sexuality and spirituality. The goal shall be achieved through hosting and promoting activities that celebrate diversity; working in conjunction with the President's Diversity Committee to bring forth areas of weakness concerning diversity; facilitate discussion geared toward resolving issues; and educating the Wells Community toward an open-minded and respectful environment. (apparently they are only interested in left-wing approved diversity. Diversity of thought didn't make the cut)

Wells Democrats: This group works to promote a greater understanding of the political process. Specific activities include voter registration and campaigning. It is a great opportunity for all students to learn more about politics. (Now, help me out here CShine...student Democrats can be recognized but the Republicans can't? Hypocritical much?)

Women's Resource Center: The Women's Resource Center takes campus-wide responsibility for creating awareness around health, diversity, reproductive rights, and current events concerning women. Their purpose is to affirm and empower women on a communal and national level. (Well, we've also got our group that makes sure "reproductive rights" are covered. Notably, there's no pro-life group on the recognized list. Could be that no one has applied, or that they've pulled this "non-recognition" stunt before.)

Link to the entire list: http://www.wells.edu/slife/storgs.htm

The only possible nod to a more conservative view would be the "Christian Fellowship", though God only knows how long that would last if they were to come out on the wrong side of some controversial social issue like homosexuality, abortion, or some similar liberal sacred cow.

1. So was ClearChannel pulling the DCs and consumers boycotting their products. Amazing how the lefties gain perspective on things when the shoe's on the other foot.

Yes, that was also free speech. I have no problem with either Clear Channel's business decision or the subsequent boycott of their stations, and don't you presume to say that I do. That is all completely irrelevant to the choices of a private college.

2.  I wasn't talking about the Second Amendment, rather, the principle behind it.

The Second Amendment guarantees your right to bear arms. What on earth are you talking about?

Colleges should be places that foster, not hinder, the free exchange of ideas.

Wrong. Private colleges should be whatever kind of places they want to be. But you seem to be of the mind to dictate policy to private institutions. Pardon me if I don't find that in keeping with your supposedly "conservative" values of allowing free people and institutions to make their own free choices. So Wells made this choice. Are you proposing that they be PREVENTED from making that choice?

My argument still stands:  liberals are all for free expression and exchange of ideas...as long as those ideas and expressions line up with their own beliefs.  Otherwise, you're on your own.

BS. Free expression means allowing private institutions to make their own choices. If you're against the idea of allowing private institutions to make their own free choices then you're certainly not in step with any legitimate right-wing ideology I've ever heard of.

Furthermore, if Wells simply refused to give recognition to clubs of a political nature, that would be one thing.  That they only refuse to recognize ones that don't follow the Liberal Lock Step shows they aren't interested in "diversity" or "free exchange of ideas".  They are interested in fostering left-wing thought only.

A list of recognized student organizations at Wells College includes:

American Indians in Science and Engineering Society (AISES): This organization works to create increased awareness of Native American culture and issues.

Amnesty International:  Amnesty International is an international organization interested in promoting human rights.   (and also one of the more left leaning organizations worldwide)

Green Geese:  Green Geese is the campus environmental group providing community service and information to the campus about environmental issues; they also organize cleanups. Occasionally they have the opportunity to attend environmental conferences. They encourage members to recycle and to spread environmental conscience to the community. Green Geese is always looking for new members. Come join the fun.

Lesbian, Bisexual, Questioning, Transgendered and Allies (L.B.Q.T.A.):  The purpose of L.B.Q.T.A. is to assist the entire Wells community to ensure the inclusion of every lesbian, bisexual, queer, questioning, transgendered and allied persons and to eliminate homophobia and heterosexism at Wells College by providing direct service, referral, programming, outreach, support and education.

Student Diversity Committee: The Student Diversity Committee shall support all students by advocating the diversity of race, ethnicity, sexuality and spirituality. The goal shall be achieved through hosting and promoting activities that celebrate diversity; working in conjunction with the President's Diversity Committee to bring forth areas of weakness concerning diversity; facilitate discussion geared toward resolving issues; and educating the Wells Community toward an open-minded and respectful environment.   (apparently they are only interested in left-wing approved diversity.  Diversity of thought didn't make the cut)

Wells Democrats: This group works to promote a greater understanding of the political process. Specific activities include voter registration and campaigning. It is a great opportunity for all students to learn more about politics.   (Now, help me out here CShine...student Democrats can be recognized but the Republicans can't?  Hypocritical much?)

Women's Resource Center: The Women's Resource Center takes campus-wide responsibility for creating awareness around health, diversity, reproductive rights, and current events concerning women. Their purpose is to affirm and empower women on a communal and national level.  (Well, we've also got our group that makes sure "reproductive rights" are covered.  Notably, there's no pro-life group on the recognized list.  Could be that no one has applied, or that they've pulled this "non-recognition" stunt before.)

Link to the entire list:  http://www.wells.edu/slife/storgs.htm

The only possible nod to a more conservative view would be the "Christian Fellowship", though God only knows how long that would last if they were to come out on the wrong side of some controversial social issue like homosexuality, abortion, or some similar liberal sacred cow.

That's all very interesting, and I have no doubt that it's all true. Now please tell me why a private institution should be required to choose differently than they have. What gives you or anyone else the right to interfere with their free choice and revoke it?

Where did I ever say anything about "requiring" them to do anything? I was simply offering yet another example of how liberals pay lip service to the principles of "free speech", "freedom of expression", and "diversity of ideas". Why are you going off on this tangent and avoiding the subject?

2. I wasn't talking about the Second Amendment, rather, the principle behind it. Colleges should be places that foster, not hinder, the free exchange of ideas. My argument still stands: liberals are all for free expression and exchange of ideas...as long as those ideas and expressions line up with their own beliefs. Otherwise, you're on your own.

3. What an incredibly lame attempt at avoiding real discussion of the issue.

I wonder how my pro-choice views would be received at Notre Dame? I wonder if Bob Jones University would be receptive to my ideas about civil unions? Probably not. Nor would I expect them to.

Bob Jones and Notre Dame aren't from the side of the aisle that likes to wrap itself in high sounding talk about freedom of expression, speech, and idea. Wells College is. Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

If a private institution recieves one dollar of federal money, it then becomes a HUGE problem. You see , Federal Laws on fairness, access, and Free Speech then apply.

How can women be allowed to join men's teams? Federal Money...

If there is one student recieving federal loan gurantees, govt grants, etc. this gets very fun and expensive. I hear the lawsuits coming now.

And apparently, students who go to Wells can do so with Federal aid...

Your education is one of the most important investments you will ever make. As you begin your college search, it is important to think about planning for that investment. There are a variety of financing options for you to explore, and the Financial Aid Office at Wells College is ready to assist you in any way we can.

To apply for need-based financial aid including institutional and federal grants, loans, and work-study, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)...

http://www.wells.edu/admiss/finaid1.htm

And apparently, students who go to Wells can do so with Federal aid...
Your education is one of the most important investments you will ever make. As you begin your college search, it is important to think about planning for that investment. There are a variety of financing options for you to explore, and the Financial Aid Office at Wells College is ready to assist you in any way we can.

To apply for need-based financial aid including institutional and federal grants, loans, and work-study, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)...

http://www.wells.edu/admiss/finaid1.htm

Technically, wouldn't that be the student receiving the Federal money?

As a graduate of a PRIVATE BAPTIST WOMENS' COLLEGE, let me assure you that the Constitution of the United States still applies on that campus. For example, Judson is Baptist, yet we had students from many different religions on campus, and religious tolerance was the order of the day. Why? Because we took federal money in the form of Pell Grants, and that meant that we had to abide by federal laws about discrimination. Being private does not mean you can choose to ignore the constitution, especially if, like David mentioned, ONE DOLLAR of federal money goes to that particular institution.

Voting to allow a Democratic student group and disallowing a Republican student group is unconsitutional and a violation of free speech. Guarantee you the ACLU would be all over this if it were the other way around. But I will also guarantee you won't hear a peep out of them over this issue.

Where did I ever say anything about "requiring" them to do anything?  I was simply offering yet another example of how liberals pay lip service to the principles of "free speech", "freedom of expression", and "diversity of ideas".  Why are you going off on this tangent and avoiding the subject?

Free speech does not entitle a political group to recognition by a private college. Furthermore, that college's choice to deny their own official recognition to that group does NOT deny that group the right to free speech. Rather, it represents THEIR OWN act of free speech.

You have failed to mention even one instance in which this group's free speech rights were denied in any way. If you were not suggesting that this college be forced to recognize them then I simply misunderstood you. That said, you have not pointed out one single example of how anyone's free speech rights have been denied here.

Voting to allow a Democratic student group and disallowing a Republican student group is unconsitutional and a violation of free speech.

Not true. No private citizen or institution is required to give official recognition to any group. The choice of a private institution to withhold their official recognition from a group does not deny that group its right to free speech.

Furthermore, there is not one single poster on this forum who has first amendment rights as it pertains to this forum. They may be extended to the posters, but they aren't guaranteed under the constitution.

The same argument is made against public school vouchers.

We have a winner.

This is how we cannot spend a dime in a seminary with a voucher.

Not true. No private citizen or institution is required to give official recognition to any group. The choice of a private institution to withhold their official recognition from a group does not deny that group its right to free speech.

I'm going to remember this line of reasoning coming from you when the shoe is on the other foot.

AGAIN, I have not once said anything about requiring, forcing, compelling, or any other form of coercion making Wells College recognize the College Republicans. I was just noting the irony of a liberal arts college, where the free exchange of ideas and knowledge should be (and traditionally has been) held to be of paramount importance, refusing to recognize the College Republicans while simultaneously recognizing a similar group for Democrats.

I wasn't calling for a law to change this and I wasn't saying that a lawsuit should be filed. I was pointing out liberal HYPOCRISY, which this is a prime example of. Talk high and mighty about the FIRST Amendment (touche, CShine)...scream bloody murder about it when private companies or organizations boycott actors and musicians because of comments they don't care for (Sarandon, Robbins, DCs)...but turn a blind eye or excuse it when it's employed by a college toward a group of conservatives.

See, that's the rub here. Neither Sarandon, nor Robbins, nor the Dixie Chicks, nor any of the other actors or entertainers who came out against the war and suffered some backlash from fans had their free speech rights taken from them. Not in any literal sense. But the hue and cry about it from the left side of the aisle about it's "chilling effect" on free speech would have made you believe it was happening. But I could find at least as many, if not double the amount of situations where the opposite occurs...liberals hindering and stifling speech that doesn't line up with their personal tastes in any way they can. And it doesn't just happen on private college campuses. This was just the latest example.

Just a handful of incidences of the left's stifling of ideas that run counter to liberal group-think:

Bias Incidents and Free Speech Violations on Campus

The following list was compiled by www.studentsforacademicfreedom.org.

1. At Cal Poly University, student Steven Hinkle tried to post a flier in a public area of the campus Multicultural Center. The flier advertised a speech by Mason Weaver, a black conservative who authored a book titled It’s OK to Leave the Plantation who argues that African-Americans are too dependent on government programs. A number of students who informally gathered in the center noticed him posting the flier and tried to prevent him from putting it up, and threatened to call the campus police when Hinkle offered to discuss the issue. After Hinkle departed, the students called the police and filed a complaint against him. The Cal Poly Judicial Office took up the case and found Hinkle guilty of “disrupting a campus event” and was required to write letters of apology to the students he offended. The Foundation of Individual Rights in Education is currently suing the University in federal court for violating Hinkle’s First Amendment rights.

2. Students at Southern Methodist University, UC-Irvine, and the University of Washington held “affirmative action bake sales” to protest the categorization of applicants based on skin color. All three bake sales were shut down by the administration. In the case of the U Washington protest, the reason given for the closure was that the event endangered public safety because a few unruly students who were angry at the protestors tore down their signs and physically threatened the students holding the sale. Rather than arrest or detain the violent offenders, the campus police simply shut down the event.

3. At Whittier College in California, a group of student journalists put together a conservative newspaper called the Liberty Bell. After printing their second issue, they were told that they were forbidden to distribute it on campus without receiving permission from the school’s publications board. When the students tried to submit their paper to this board, they found out that it currently did not have a chairman and was missing several members and thus was unable to meet. Yet none of the other four publications on campus have been asked to submit themselves for evaluation by this board.

4. Students at Citrus College, a public college in California, were given an extra credit assignment by Professor Rosalyn Kahn as part of a required speech class in which they were ordered to write letters to President Bush protesting the war in Iraq. Those who wrote letters praising the Iraq campaign or who refused to actually mail their letters to the president’s office were refused credit for the assignment.

5. A criminology class at a Colorado university was told to write an essay on why President Bush was a war criminal. When a student instead wrote why Saddam Hussein was the war criminal, she was given a failing grade.

6. At UC-Berkeley, the course description for "The Politics and Poetics of Palestinian Resistance" in Fall 2002 stated that "conservative thinkers are encouraged to seek other sections." The instructor later apologized for the description.

7. The Hawk’s Right Eye, a conservative student paper at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island, published an issue criticizing the lack of diversity among invited campus speakers. University President Roy Nirschel responded by sending an email to the entire campus stating that paper had “crossed seriously over the lines of propriety and respect” and accused the editors of having “flirted with racist and anti-Islamic rhetoric.” Despite claiming to support the free speech rights of campus groups, the administration froze $2700 in funding granted to The Hawk’s Right Eye to publish nine issues, effectively silencing them.

8. Gonzaga University officials placed a disciplinary letter in the file of the College Republicans after they posted flyers around campus advertising a speech by Dan Flynn and including the title of his book, Why the Left Hates America. Administrators claimed that this use of the word “hate” was “discriminatory” and could be considered “hate speech.” The students were also forced to modify their flyer to make it clearer that the phrase was the title of Flynn’s book.

9. At Metro State College in Denver, a student who was a Special Forces instructor and had served his country in Panama, the Gulf War, Somalia, Afghanistan and Iraq was told by his professor that he was a “racist” and “violent” and that his uniform was an “offense to the class.”

10. The staff of The Counterweight, a newspaper produced by the Bucknell University Conservatives Club, was threatened at a “secret meeting” called by the University’s administration to discuss two articles dealing with free speech issues in the publication’s most recent issue. Despite the presence of five administrators at the meeting, no one protested when fellow students threatened to inflict bodily harm on the Counterweight staff. Faced with a threat from University officials to call security, the Conservatives Club members were forcibly evicted from the forum, while those who had issued the threats against them were allowed to remain.

11. University of Missouri at Columbia biology professor Miriam Golomb accused David Horowitz of being a racist in her “Genetics and Society” class and then offered to give extra credit to students who showed up to protest Horowitz’s speech. When an uproar over the alleged extra points for protesting occurred, professors came to her rescue. Instead of questioning her actions in a “Genetics and Society” class on accusing Horowitz of being a racist, people like Charles N. Davis, Chairman of the School of Journalism at MU, questioned the students

12. An organized coalition of fifteen ethnic and political student groups at Brown University stole 4,000 copies of the Brown Daily Herald on Friday, March 16th, 2002. The theft was retribution for the paper's decision to print David Horowitz's anti-reparations ad three days earlier and its subsequent refusal to submit to outraged students' demands that payment for the ad be turned over to the campus' Third World Center for minority students and that the paper give protestors a full page to print a rebuttal. Lewis Gordon, director of the Afro-American studies program at Brown, defended the coalition's action, claiming, "If something is free, you can take as many copies as you like. This is not a free speech issue. It is a hate speech issue."

Some further information on #7 above at Roger Williams University. One person's first hand account of the issues College Republicans face there:

My Brush with the Campus Thought Police

By Tammy Bruce--FrontPageMagazine.com, 12/02/03

Most of you are aware of the disintegration of the intellectual discourse on our  college campuses. David Horowitz in particular continues his extraordinary work  to expose and reverse the disaster leftist academics are making of our universities. 

One of the many benefits of my work is that I get to go speak directly to the    Stepford Undergraduates who arrive at college as eager and excited freshman    and walk out cynical, brainwashed leftists. They embrace the multiculturalism,    moral relativism and hatred of America that their Marxist and Socialist professors have instilled in them for years.

As a Democrat and a feminist, you would think it would be the women’s    groups, or the feminist club, or the College Democrats that would be inviting    me to speak. But of course not.

No, the young people supposedly keeping the flame for freedom of expression,    new ideas, and obsessed with “diversity” are far too busy clamping down on the people who exhibit that pesky intellectual freedom let alone be expected to actually bring one of “them” (i.e., someone who dares to challenge them) to campus.

I should not have been surprised, but in my effort to be able to be heard on    campuses it became the conservative wing of Americans politics that exhibited    a true commitment to intellectual diversity and freedom of expression. The College Republicans and the Young America’s Foundation, America’s largest    campus outreach program for the conservative movement, have been the sponsors of my most recent speaking engagements—at Roger Williams College and at Mt. Holyoke.

The bright lights out there on our campuses are indeed the conservative students who are truly committed to principles and values. Because of this, they are willing to face the risk, punishment, name-calling, and even threats to their    personal safety because they dare to be different. They dare to stand up for    what is right. They dare to be College Republicans.

My speaking experience at Roger Williams University in Rhode Island was classic. The College Republicans there, led by Jason Mattera, Jedediah Jones, and Monique Stuart had awakened the campus to real political and intellectual diversity with the publication of their conservative newspaper, The Hawk’s Right    Eye. Prior to inviting me to campus, the club had been called a “hate group” by members of the administration, funds for their newspaper had  been frozen, graffiti on the campus compared them to the Hitler Youth (of course) and at least one member has had to deal with threats to her personal safety.

All in all, not unusual experiences for campus conservatives.

There was the typical harassment by the campus police against students trying    to promote my speech. In a coordinated effort to stop promotion of the event,    two young men who were chalking a speech announcement on a walkway were stopped and interrogated by campus police. In a clever move, after being told by the police that they had orders to stop any activity of the College Republicans, the young men said they were with the Gay Pride group on campus. Only then were they allowed to continue.

While this demonizing of the club prior to my arrival was typical, it remains    disturbing. At many of my speeches, in an effort to put the wholesale and thoughtless demonizing of campus conservatives into context, I ask students to do a simple word-switch in their heads. Every time they are inclined to say something negative about a conservative or Republican student, they should replace the word “conservative” and/or “Republican” with the word “Jew.”

My point is the intellectual and personal harassment conservative students    and faculty face is beginning to mirror to oppression of Jewish students and    academics in 1930’s Germany. Dehumanizing takes repetition and a mob mentality fostered by trusted leadership. It also requires individuals to stop thinking for themselves.

I exhort these same students to own why they think what they think. I’ve    asked and most of them honestly admit they don’t know why conservatives    are “bad” or if their “Hitler Youth” comparisons are true: They were simply told so by a professor they trusted. Ultimately, these students must face the fact that they have been personally betrayed by professors and other academics who don’t really care about them at all and have misled them on a whole host of issues – including probably everything political.

The event itself at Roger Williams University went well and was actually quite    inspiring. I spoke for an hour or so, and then we opened it for questions.  I    also agreed to stay for as long as the students wanted. We finally left at midnight, 4-5 hours after we had begun.

One young woman shifted from being the Biggest Tammy-Hater and Angriest Student in the World to asking thoughtful, sincere questions. One young man at the end came up to me and said, “I was holding this sign outside at the beginning of your speech. I wanted you to see it and to tell you that I was wrong, and am ashamed for having done it. Thank you for being here.”  The sign read “This Event Sucks.”  I was moved close to tears by his sincerity and the realization that even with nonstop brainwashing, if young people are    exposed to ideas that strike them as true and fair, they will hear us.

I also saw a familiar look in the faces of some of them. It was a look of realization that perhaps they have not been told the entire truth by adults they trusted. There was a glimpse of understanding that their favorite professor, or the president of the university, and even their own judgment about politics, needed to be questioned and challenged.

One question I was asked more than once was why in the world would the Republicans of all people on campus ask me (classical liberal, Democrat, feminist) to come speak. Many of the liberal students were truly perplexed. And that was their first lesson. I had the pleasure of explaining that the foundational commitment to freedom of expression and new ideas rests at the heart of the colleagues they had been condemning all along.  That conservatives and conservative politics might actually be beneficial for women, blacks, and gays in this country.

Make no mistake, this is no longer about differences of political opinion.  This is indeed about life and death, totalitarianism versus freedom, and intellectual    freedom versus the imprisonment of the mind. It has become a fight for the hearts and souls of the generations to come. It is a fight classical liberals and conservatives dare not lose.

The hope of this change rests with the work of David Horowitz and his Students    for Academic Freedom, the young Republicans and conservative Democrats on campuses everywhere who will not be intimidated into silence, and the Young America’s Foundation, which is committed to changing the catastrophic course designed by malevolent and destructive leftist academics. Support them wherever and whenever you can. Our future, literally, depends on it.

Archived