One of your brethren on the 'Bama $ituation...

WinCrimson

I thought this was a good, unbiased post. He makes some good points on both sides.

Let me start of that every penny Bama paid is worth it. They got their coach. And one hell of a coach he is. I have no doubt in my mind that within 2-3 years, possibly less, he will have Bama competing for SEC titles and possibly more.

But Bama fans, keep in mind, he's not a god. He's nothing that Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, and Tennessee don't already have in terms of quality coaching. Alabama's recruiting hasn't been the best for the last few years, but you can bet your ass that won't last long as $aban can recruit with the best of them.

As an Auburn fan I'm not shaking in my boots.....yet. There are a few tough challenges that $aban will face that will lay the foundation for his stay with the Tide. Is this $aban guy, who only has a few years of experience in the SEC, all he's cracked up to be? Or will he join the long line of underperforming Alabama coaches since the bear left.

Here are a few things that will tell the tale:

Recruiting: $aban needs to get on this. And fast. There are quite a few blue chip prospects out there waiting to be grabbed, and you bet today's signing perked their ears in the direction of Bama without so much as a word from $aban.

Four of the top five players from the state of Alabama are still up for grabs.

#1: DT Kerry Murphy: Alabama is #1 on this kid's list. This one shouldn't be too hard for $aban, as he was already interested. He has a high interest in Alabama and a medium interest in Auburn and Miami. A small visit from $aban, barring catastrophe, should lock this 6-5 315 lb. bohemoth of a defensive tackle from Hoover.

#2: Sidell Corley: Sidell is already a verbal commit to Florida. However, rivals has it listed as a soft verbal. Alabama, Auburn, Oklahoma, and Tennessee are the other teams on his list. $aban could possibly work this kid over in what would be a HUGE commit.

#3: Michael McNeil: Ahh, the heralded defensive back. Auburn has been all over this kid an many fans feel he is ours, but nothing is set anymore! Auburn, Bama, Tennessee, and FSU are all on his list. This would be another huge one for the Bama defense if $aban could hook this kid.

#4: WR Brandon Gibson: I don't know much about this wideout, but he seems to be Bama's for the taking. Before $aban was brought into the equasion, he was already leaning towards Bama. Other schools on his list include Auburn, Ole Miss, West Virginia, and South Carolina.

#5: LB Rolando McClain: If $aban were to grab the other defensive guys on this list, Alabama's defense will be sending chills down the respective spines of their oppenents for years and years to come. McClain is already a Bama commit, which is huge as the Tide have been thin at LB for the last few years.

The players lifted above are only the top 5 from the state of Alabama. In his time at LSU, $aban made relationships in the state of Louisianna as well, where the top 2 players, both 5 stars (all listed above from Alabama are 4 stars) are both uncomitted.

#1: ATH Joe McKnight: This kid is just an athelete, similar to Percey Harvin in the sense that he will be very versitle and is capable of playing many positions. He runs a 4.4 fourty and is the #1 athelete in the nation. He's even ranked as high as the #10 overall player in the nation. This might be $aban's toughest job. Alabama isn't even on his list right now. Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Southern Cal, and Texas top this kids list. If $aban pulls of the miracle, well, then he pulled off a miracle in the biggest way.

#2: DB Chad Jones: Don't know much about this kid, either. #1 saftey in the nation, 5 stars, 18th on the rivals top 100. Alabama isn't on his list, either. But like I said, $aban has relationships in that state and he will use them to his advantage. Another hopeful note for Bama, this kid has a long list of schools he's interested in but no real leader. On his list are Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Ole Miss, and Southern Cal.

2. The obvious: Win games

Alabama feilds a VERY favorable home schedule next year. I think (I'm not sure, as I'm doing this part off the top of my head), but they play LSU, Arkansas, Tennessee, and Georgia are ALL at home. Tough road games include Florida State and Auburn. It is worth mentioning that the FSU game is at a neutral site. Also it remains to be seen if FSU is still 'FSU' anymore. Auburn loses 4/5 of the o-line and many key seniors this offseason. It is very possible that Bama could win both of those road games. If $aban comes out and wins early games against Tennessee and Georiga, THEN I will be shaking in my boots.

From AUFootball24 on SECTalk.com

This reads like a bammer fan pretending to be an Auburn fan. I hope he has some modest success at $puat, like at least coming through and winning the Independence Bowl.

You have no shot at McKnight or Jones. Murphy is an academic problem and from all in-game accounts isn't that much better than Chapman (who in reality is underrated compared to the overrated Murphy). Corley I feel is one of the top 1-2 overrated players in the state, mad overhyped and unimpressive athletically, and from what I've seen of him has no right being put in the category of top DE's nationally. Gibson is a nice WR but nothing to get scared about: decent size with decent athleticism but no knock-out attributes. Scout's ranking of him (ranked around 30th among WRs) is much better than Rivals' (where he is ranked as a Top 100 player).

Thats my straight-up honest recruiting breakdown

This reads like a bammer fan pretending to be an Auburn fan. I hope he has some modest success at $puat, like at least coming through and winning the Independence Bowl.

My exact thoughts. I have already seen several posts on different sites claiming/implying that they were AU fans but it is easy to spot a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Shaking in his boots? There's no way in hell any self-respecting Auburn fan is afraid of anything Alabama is doing. The Tahd could be 11-0 and have given up a total of 3 points all season and I wouldn't be afraid of them.

That asshat isn't one of my bretheren.

Shaking in his boots? There's no way in hell any self-respecting Auburn fan is afraid of anything Alabama is doing. The Tahd could be 11-0 and have given up a total of 3 points all season and I wouldn't be afraid of them.

That asshat isn't one of my bretheren.

I agree....uat had the upper hand over us with ONE coach...not before bryant or since bryant do they have the upper hand...hiring $aban won't change this...

This post reaks of bammer....but, $aban will help them in the recruiting ranks outside of Alabama.

He has made enemies with a few bama alums, so watch that unfold too.

Guy is a bammer. Not hard to figure that one out, kind of like some others we have posing on this board.

Archived