$aban, Recruiting, and his record

80Tiger

I am always amazed how the media and fans label someone a great recruiter. Has any coach, assistant or head coach been labeled a bad recruiter? What will $aban do differently in recruiting than any of the previous how many ever coaches they have had? They have a built in advantage Alabama high schools. That advantage has been chipped away. It was started by Dye and TT has continued that trend and he will continue in the future. Sheila was said to be a great recruiter. Joe Kines is a great recruiter. Even Fran was a "great recruiter" because he got Brodie to commit as soon as he got there.

Will recruits rush to UA and NS because of his NFL connenction? Well he was a failure in the NFL and his rep is tarnished with the pro's. I would think that would actually be a negative. The fact is all college coaches have an NFL "connection". If a player is good the NFL knows about them. NS had no competion at LSU. That is not the case here. In fact, in the past 20 plus years according to local media AU has very seldom "won" the in-state recruiting. It has always been the ability to recruit FL and GA. Any smaller population state with more than one Div 1 school has to do it. See what Spurrier is doing at SC. He is recruiting FL heavily. NS will have to do the same thing and he is no better off than anyone else in the state of FL and GA. In fact will their be backlash in the state of FL?

On his record. Why are the UA fans and media giving him a pass for his losing record at the Dolphins? I think it says volumes about his coaching ability. When faced with approximately same talent for week in and week out, he had a losing record. In fact his defensive talent was considered better than a lot of teams in the NFL and he still lost to teams with possibley inferior talent (see Buffalo and NYJ). To me what this translates to is that he will beat the 6 or 7 sisters of the poor each year and struggle to be 500 against the upper echelon SEC teams once he gets equivilant talent, which he does not have right now.

Comments?

GREAT comments! You can go back to his coaching at LSU. Year in and year out they have a deeper pool of talent on their team than almost anyone in the country that is not USC. When $aban was there, with ownership of the entire state of Louisiana, he managed to go 2-3 vs. Auburn. I am not willing to buy in to the fact that this guy is the savior for UAT. Better than DuBose, Fran, Price and Shula? Probably- but lots of coaches can make that claim.

I am always amazed how the media and fans label someone a great recruiter. Has any coach, assistant or head coach been labeled a bad recruiter? What will $aban do differently in recruiting than any of the previous how many ever coaches they have had? They have a built in advantage Alabama high schools. That advantage has been chipped away. It was started by Dye and TT has continued that trend and he will continue in the future. Sheila was said to be a great recruiter. Joe Kines is a great recruiter. Even Fran was a "great recruiter" because he got Brodie to commit as soon as he got there.

Will recruits rush to UA and NS because of his NFL connenction? Well he was a failure in the NFL and his rep is tarnished with the pro's. I would think that would actually be a negative. The fact is all college coaches have an NFL "connection". If a player is good the NFL knows about them. NS had no competion at LSU. That is not the case here. In fact, in the past 20 plus years according to local media AU has very seldom "won" the in-state recruiting. It has always been the ability to recruit FL and GA. Any smaller population state with more than one Div 1 school has to do it. See what Spurrier is doing at SC. He is recruiting FL heavily. NS will have to do the same thing and he is no better off than anyone else in the state of FL and GA. In fact will their be backlash in the state of FL?

On his record. Why are the UA fans and media giving him a pass for his losing record at the Dolphins? I think it says volumes about his coaching ability. When faced with approximately same talent for week in and week out, he had a losing record. In fact his defensive talent was considered better than a lot of teams in the NFL and he still lost to teams with possibley inferior talent (see Buffalo and NYJ). To me what this translates to is that he will beat the 6 or 7 sisters of the poor each year and struggle to be 500 against the upper echelon SEC teams once he gets equivilant talent, which he does not have right now.

Comments?

To me, what I think helps $aban recruiting wise is that he did a fantastic job with most of his classes at LSU. He didnt just offer up anyone...he went after extremely fast kids whom he saw talent in....and for the most part....a majority of his classes have worked out....something not every school has happen in todays recruiting v. reality world.

$aban taught Richt a lesson after the 2003 SECCG in which (according to Insiders) Richt was blown away by the entire team speed $aban had brought to LSU. Richt then went out in the next year's class and got as much speed as he could get.

I think the difference between Shula and $aban recruiting wise will be not just huge but VERY HUGE

Archived