Serious Question for Auburn Fans

boyjeddah

Guys, I hope you do not take this the wrong way but I've had this question for quite sometime ever since I've learned the game of football....

Why yall have two animals??? I dont think that there's another school that does the same thing.. you have the "eagle" thingy and it's working out for you... Where did the tiger come from????? was there like a changeover that one animal does not or does represent more than the other????

I swear to God I am not trying to tease or make fun or anything but I've asked many Auburn fans that failed to explain it to me...

Restecpa

I'm glad you asked, but before I answer, I have a question. You guys are called the crimson tide and you have an elephant. Is it a female elephant and does the crimson tide occur on a regular basis?

This has been discussed here almost as much as the orange jerseys, but for the edification of the newbies we'll do it ONE MORE TIME.

We have ONE mascot. It is the Tiger. We are the AUBURN TIGERS (not War Eagles or Plainsmen). The phrase "War Eagle" became the battle cry back in the early 1900's. The story behind it varies depending on who you ask.

I agree Mike. There simply could not be a more F'd up mascot "Thingy" going on anywhere else than at the Crapstoned.

We're the Crimson Tide. Now, think about that for a second. The most fearsome thing they could think of was the ebb and flow of the water. Not a huge wave, crashing down and overpowering all the poor souls in it's path. The tide.

It's a beautiful morning as we take a leisurely stroll along the beach. Oh look kids, see that line of seaweed there on the beach? That's where the tide came in last night. The oceans' water was all the way up to right here. Now, just a word of warning for you kids. If you're playing on the beach down by the water and it looks like the water is a little closer to you than it was an hour ago....I can't stress this enough. You need to move back a few feet. Okay? The tide is nothing to play with.

Dang, now that we've already kind of committed to that water "Thingy" to represent our proud university, we have to come up with a costume to that reflects the power of trickling H2O. Hmmmm....hey, I know. How about an elephant? You know...elephant....water...uuhhh...well, elephants suck water up through that long hose thingy they have and like....squirt it real hard at like....other things. Yea, nothing says rising water like an elephant. Let's go with it.

I agree Mike. There simply could not be a more F'd up mascot "Thingy" going on anywhere else than at the Crapstoned.

We're the Crimson Tide. Now, think about that for a second. The most fearsome thing they could think of was the ebb and flow of the water. Not a huge wave, crashing down and overpowering all the poor souls in it's path. The tide.

It's a beautiful morning as we take a leisurely stroll along the beach. Oh look kids, see that line of seaweed there on the beach? That's where the tide came in last night. The oceans' water was all the way up to right here. Now, just a word of warning for you kids. If you're playing on the beach down by the water and it looks like the water is a little closer to you than it was an hour ago....I can't stress this enough. You need to move back a few feet. Okay? The tide is nothing to play with.

Dang, now that we've already kind of committed to that water "Thingy" to represent our proud university, we have to come up with a costume to that reflects the power of trickling H2O. Hmmmm....hey, I know. How about an elephant? You know...elephant....water...uuhhh...well, elephants suck water up through that long hose thingy they have and like....squirt it real hard at like....other things. Yea, nothing says rising water like an elephant. Let's go with it.

Classic.

OK... I see how defensive everyone is but still no concrete answer to walk away with.... however in response to your attack on our Crimson Tide, I think the history behind it is cut clear that every bama fan has only one story to refer to, the crimson tide name came about in 1907 while the elephant was associated with the 1930 football team but since this is not an alabama forum then I'll spare you the details... But i m truely surprised that an Auburn forum does not really have that much grasp of what Auburn stands for

I see it totally different than the two animals at auburn because the Tide and the elephant mascot are not "believe it or not" in the same classification of species... we do not call ourselves the alabama elephants... we're the alabama crimson tide.. you wont see a mention of elephants anywhere else except for Big Al.. we do not introduce ourselves as elephants and tide in the same time

It would be the same as Auburn if we for example called ourselves the Alabama elephants and at the same time start chanting "Roll Alabama Bears Roll".... then that would be confusing ... I would agree with you there...however, it's totally different and I dont know how to make myself clearer than this.....

I am sorry that I offended some of you with my question but a simple "I dont know answer" would've worked for me instead of the classless attack..

OK... I see how defensive everyone is but still no concrete answer to walk away with.... however in response to your attack on our Crimson Tide, I think the history behind it is cut clear that every bama fan has only one story to refer to, the crimson tide name came about in 1907 while the elephant was associated with the 1930 football team but since this is not an alabama forum then I'll spare you the details... But i m truely surprised that an Auburn forum does not really have that much grasp of what Auburn stands for

I see it totally different than the two animals at auburn because the Tide and the elephant mascot are not "believe it or not" in the same classification of species... we do not call ourselves the alabama elephants... we're the alabama crimson tide.. you wont see a mention of elephants anywhere else except for Big Al.. we do not introduce ourselves as elephants and tide in the same time

It would be the same as Auburn if we for example called ourselves the Alabama elephants and at the same time start chanting "Roll Alabama Bears Roll".... then that would be confusing ... I would agree with you there...however, it's totally different and I dont know how to make myself clearer than this.....

I am sorry that I offended some of you with my question but a simple "I dont know answer" would've worked for me instead of the classless attack..

You also know we don't refer to ourselves as anything but the Auburn Tigers.

you have to be uat fan #1000 to come here and ask this question. The other 999 have done so and proceed to attack us at every turn.. It's unlikely that after that 999 times that the next one would be a legit question from a fan that didn't know. Now, I'm not buying it..I don't believe there are any true uat or auburn fans that don't know where the nicknames/mascots of both schools came from.... I happen to know without any doubt that the Crimson Tide name developed from the game in which uat TIED Auburn....Not a win, but a TIE..... I have no reason to think you don't already know the answer to this and are just coming here to stir up trouble. If you are really asking because you don't know...perhaps a little research on your part will reveal the answer....I'll help....http://www.auburntigers.com. there is a mascot explanation there....

No offense taken there jeddah. We are after all, in the Woodshed. So a little fun and smack is a necessity.

We do not refer to ourselves as the "Auburn War Eagles" any more than you refer to your team as the "Alabama Elephants". We are the Auburn Tigers...owners of a 5 game winning streak over the Crimson Trickles. :big:

"War Eagle" originated as a battle cry and there are many stories, folklore etc. as to how that started way back when.

There are many versions of how AU & "War Eagle" became connected. As stated on the official AU athletics website, most are lost to antiquity.

Here's one version:

Back before the Civil War an East Alabama Methodist College (AU's original name) professor could see the war clouds gathering and as he was also a ROTC instructor, he was pondering the problem of reconnaisance on the battlefield. He reasoned that if he could get higher above the ground, he could see farther and detect any troop movements earlier than with the traditional cavalry or picket lines. Carrier pigeons were in use for communications at the time so he thought about using them. But in a flash of inspiration, he thought about using a golden eagle on a tether. It was a brilliant idea. The eagle was well known for its superior eyesight and soaring ability. Even a couple hundred feet off the ground would be enough to see for miles in any direction. Alas, his experimentation with a pet eagle that had been found injured & nursed back to health proved fruitless. As with most technological devices today, the problem was with the human interface. Try as he might, the professor could not understand a single screech of the eagle language and vice versa, the eagle could not or would not understand English at all. Exasperated, the professor attempted a technique most people use when they try to communicate with someone that doesn't speak their language -- they raise their voices and slow their speech. Just in case the eagle didn't understand the seriousness of the upcoming conflict, the professor shouted at the eagle: "IT'S ... WAR ... EAGLE!" and then added, "HEY!" to get the eagle's attention because it had turned his head away. Some passing students on their way to Agronomy 101 class saw the spectacle and thought the prof had lost his mind. Thereafter, they would take to greeting one another with: "It's WAR EAGLE, HEY!" in mocking tribute to the crazy ROTC prof. Subsequent generations of students picked up on the trend and made it a tradition that's carried forward today through the ages. And so, that is why we say War Eagle to one another.

Admittedly, this version is not very well known. :big:

you have to be uat fan #1000 to come here and ask this question. The other 999 have done so and proceed to attack us at every turn.. It's unlikely that after that 999 times that the next one would be a legit question from a fan that didn't know. Now, I'm not buying it..I don't believe there are any true uat or auburn fans that don't know where the nicknames/mascots of both schools came from.... I happen to know without any doubt that the Crimson Tide name developed from the game in which uat TIED Auburn....Not a win, but a TIE..... I have no reason to think you don't already know the answer to this and are just coming here to stir up trouble. If you are really asking because you don't know...perhaps a little research on your part will reveal the answer....I'll help....http://www.auburntigers.com. there is a mascot explanation there....

I was not trying to stir things up or being disrespectful to you "as individuals" or to your team. If that was my intention, it would ve been much easier to do that on an Alabama board instead of an Auburn one "do not you think?"

I did some research but I ended up with so many versions as to the tiger and the eagle that felt like I was reading Lord of the Ring all over again (check wikepedia for example). So I thought I would ask the question among "what I thought" the best people to know the answer... Unfortunately, I think I might need to ask on another Auburn fan boards.. However, I've only got a few mature responses and I appreciate these posters for offering their views -

If this question has been asked and answered before, can someone provide a link to the thread in which the answer was posted? I would truly appreciate it

Trying to give you a decent answer but I think you are very confused. Some comments/questions;

--The official Auburn mascot is the tiger and we are the Auburn Tigers. War Eagle is more of a "war'cry" with several stories behind it as you can read above. The Eagle is a bird by the way, not an animal.

----As I have always understood it, the Red Elephant is bama's official mascot, hence Big Al and all the pics of the elephant on your logos everywhere. I have always heard that Zipp Newman(sportswriter for the B'ham News coined the Crimson Tide thingy following a victory in the 1940s (?) over Tulane. he did a takeoff on the Tulane Green Wave by having paper headlines saying something to the effect that "Alabama rolls over the Green Wave like a Crimson Tide. So by normal ways, bama should be called the Alabama Red Elephants (as they were when I was a kid), and their "war cry" should be Roll Tide. So, in fact, ya'll have three things.....Red Elephants, Crimson Tide, and Roll Tide. And I would point out that there is no such animal as a Red Elephant. Maybe some of your bama buds here can clear up your side for you which you say is clear to all bama fans. Also, you indicate you think Auburn is funny having two "mascot thingies." How about these combos of mascots/war crys/etc:

Georgia Tech.........Yelow Jackets or Rambling Wrecks

Notre Dame.........Irish or Leprechans or Fighting Irish

Mississippi St......Bulldogs or Maroons

Tennessee......Volunteers with a Hounddog for a Mascot and Big Orange

Virginia Tech.......Hokies or Gobblers

Nebraska....Cornhuskers and Go Big Red

Southeren Cal.....Trojans and also a White Horse named Traveler

That's a few, there are more. Then there's my favorite:

Florida St.-----Seminoles or Criminoles and a horse :)

Trying to give you a decent answer but I think you are very confused. Some comments/questions;

--The official Auburn mascot is the tiger and we are the Auburn Tigers. War Eagle is more of a "war'cry" with several stories behind it as you can read above. The Eagle is a bird by the way, not an animal.

----As I have always understood it, the Red Elephant is bama's official mascot, hence Big Al and all the pics of the elephant on your logos everywhere. I have always heard that Zipp Newman(sportswriter for the B'ham News coined the Crimson Tide thingy following a victory in the 1940s (?) over Tulane. he did a takeoff on the Tulane Green Wave by having paper headlines saying something to the effect that "Alabama rolls over the Green Wave like a Crimson Tide. So by normal ways, bama should be called the Alabama Red Elephants (as they were when I was a kid), and their "war cry" should be Roll Tide. So, in fact, ya'll have three things.....Red Elephants, Crimson Tide, and Roll Tide. And I would point out that there is no such animal as a Red Elephant. Maybe some of your bama buds here can clear up your side for you which you say is clear to all bama fans. Also, you indicate you think Auburn is funny having two "mascot thingies." How about these combos of mascots/war crys/etc:

Georgia Tech.........Yelow Jackets or Rambling Wrecks

Notre Dame.........Irish or Leprechans or Fighting Irish

Mississippi St......Bulldogs or Maroons

Tennessee......Volunteers with a Hounddog for a Mascot and Big Orange

Virginia Tech.......Hokies or Gobblers

Nebraska....Cornhuskers and Go Big Red

Southeren Cal.....Trojans and also a White Horse named Traveler

That's a few, there are more. Then there's my favorite:

Florida St.-----Seminoles or Criminoles and a horse :)

PT, never heard that story before..here is the one I'm familiar with...

How the Crimson Tide Got its Name

: : In early newspaper accounts of Alabama football, the team was simply listed as the "varsity" or the "Crimson White" after the school colors.

: : The first nickname to become popular and used by headline writers was the "Thin Red Line." The nickname was used until 1906.

: : The name "Crimson Tide" is supposed to have first been used by Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald. He used "Crimson Tide" in describing an Alabama-Auburn game played in Birmingham in 1907, the last football contest between the two schools until 1948 when the series was resumed. The game was played in a sea of mud and Auburn was a heavy favorite to win.

: : But, evidently, the "Thin Red Line" played a great game in the red mud and held Auburn to a 6-6 tie,only tie in the series thus gaining the name "Crimson Tide." Zipp Newman, former sports editor of the Birmingham News, probably popularized the name more than any other writer.

We call ourselves Tigers. We do not call ourselves War Eagles. Idiots from other schools and ignorant announcers do. I heard the Bammer got tagged with the elephant thing went someone mistook the Rosenburg luggage tags for the team logo. So you got the Tide when you tied Auburn and the Elephants from a luggage tag............And you attack us?!?!?!!!

PT, never heard that story before..here is the one I'm familiar with...

How the Crimson Tide Got its Name

: : In early newspaper accounts of Alabama football, the team was simply listed as the "varsity" or the "Crimson White" after the school colors.

: : The first nickname to become popular and used by headline writers was the "Thin Red Line." The nickname was used until 1906.

: : The name "Crimson Tide" is supposed to have first been used by Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald. He used "Crimson Tide" in describing an Alabama-Auburn game played in Birmingham in 1907, the last football contest between the two schools until 1948 when the series was resumed. The game was played in a sea of mud and Auburn was a heavy favorite to win.

: : But, evidently, the "Thin Red Line" played a great game in the red mud and held Auburn to a 6-6 tie,only tie in the series thus gaining the name "Crimson Tide." Zipp Newman, former sports editor of the Birmingham News, probably popularized the name more than any other writer.

Maybe some of the resident bammers can enlighten us on it. I care so much I couldn't possibly spend more than 30 seconds researching it. :P

The Eagle is a bird by the way, not an animal.

:no:

No disrespect but that was way too funny to pass up.. you should've quit while you're ahead dude... :)

http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/birds1.htm

All birds have feathers and birds are the only animals that do!

The Eagle is a bird by the way, not an animal.

:no:

No disrespect but that was way too funny to pass up.. you should've quit while you're ahead dude... :)

http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/birds1.htm

All birds have feathers and birds are the only animals that do!

OK technically you are right. But by the same token I'm not a dude and you just became a typical smart ass bammer on my list. I tried to give you a decent response and you had to be cute in return. I just deleted the last post I made saying to cut you some slack. So I now advise you......hey boy, run along before you really make me mad.

Sorry folks, I let my guard down for a minute and got suckered by a beanie wienie banner. I must be slipping.

Guys, I hope you do not take this the wrong way but I've had this question for quite sometime ever since I've learned the game of football....

Why yall have two animals??? I dont think that there's another school that does the same thing.. you have the "eagle" thingy and it's working out for you... Where did the tiger come from????? was there like a changeover that one animal does not or does represent more than the other????

I swear to God I am not trying to tease or make fun or anything but I've asked many Auburn fans that failed to explain it to me...

Restecpa

google.com

www.auburntigers.com

www.ImNotLazy.com

www.Icandoitformyself.com

Why do people type out multiple paragraphs to ask what they could figure out in half the time if not to stir up trash? I hereby sentence you to live in Tuscaloosa for a minimum of four years with no chance at parole or a halfway decent college education.

I'll say it again. boy and bp bring nothing of any purpose or gain to this forum. Anyone who responds to their childish posts is just encouraging more of this crap. I have been guilty, also. Why waste bandwidth on these jerks. We do not need this board to turn into another al.com kiddyland. Off my soapbox and my "skip these idiots screener" for these turds is now "on".

If this question has been asked and answered before, can someone provide a link to the thread in which the answer was posted? I would truly appreciate it

:rolleyes:

http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25517

One of many...

Thank you so much AuChizad

Lay off the guy, even if he isn't being sincere, we know the stories and the history of our mascot and our battle cry. No need to rip into people because they say the same thing every other rival fan says in regards to it. Some of these people are serious, I would direct you to huskerboard.com where many people asked over and over what the deal was with tigers and the war eagle. After a simple link to the section of auburntigers.com that explains it, they admitted that it was a cool tradition, a great story, and a very interesting read. If a guy comes up to me with a sly smile and a remark about it, I tell him I wouldn't expect someone with a uat/uga/UF education to understand and it isn't worth my time to explain it; usually followed up with a question about the tide/elephant or volunteer/blue tick hound. And if they're being sincere, I offer them a seat and tell them the story behind it. It usually gets a good response.

As a side note. I was in the Peachtree Mall in Columbus today going through Lidz or the Hat Shack or some other hat store looking for an Auburn hat I saw this past weekend and I saw the one with the fierce looking embroidered eagle on the front and it said War Eagle on the back. My girlfriend said that it was stupid because the Eagle is not our mascot but after thinking about it, I decided that there's no problem with it. What is the official nickname of the Alabama football team? The Crimson Tide right? But you see how many uat shirts/hats/whatever with a large elephant on the front? Why not put that eagle on some other things. It should never be adopted as a second mascot, otherwise we would find ourselves as confused as the Tide/Elephants or the Volunteers/Blue Tick Hounds etc... I really like that Eagle logo and I think that it should be displayed with pride.

Picture of the hat:

B000BPD1XM.01-AVRR6WAP2O9Z1._SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg

Lay off the guy, even if he isn't being sincere, we know the stories and the history of our mascot and our battle cry. No need to rip into people because they say the same thing every other rival fan says in regards to it. Some of these people are serious, I would direct you to huskerboard.com where many people asked over and over what the deal was with tigers and the war eagle. After a simple link to the section of auburntigers.com that explains it, they admitted that it was a cool tradition, a great story, and a very interesting read. If a guy comes up to me with a sly smile and a remark about it, I tell him I wouldn't expect someone with a uat/uga/UF education to understand and it isn't worth my time to explain it; usually followed up with a question about the tide/elephant or volunteer/blue tick hound. And if they're being sincere, I offer them a seat and tell them the story behind it. It usually gets a good response.

As a side note. I was in the Peachtree Mall in Columbus today going through Lidz or the Hat Shack or some other hat store looking for an Auburn hat I saw this past weekend and I saw the one with the fierce looking embroidered eagle on the front and it said War Eagle on the back. My girlfriend said that it was stupid because the Eagle is not our mascot but after thinking about it, I decided that there's no problem with it. What is the official nickname of the Alabama football team? The Crimson Tide right? But you see how many uat shirts/hats/whatever with a large elephant on the front? Why not put that eagle on some other things. It should never be adopted as a second mascot, otherwise we would find ourselves as confused as the Tide/Elephants or the Volunteers/Blue Tick Hounds etc... I really like that Eagle logo and I think that it should be displayed with pride.

I guess the confusion that I had and "most people who ask the same question without second agendas" is the fact that Auburn's cry and mascot revolves around two "let's say" species within the same class "since some people are sensitive about the whole animals issues"

Therefore, for a person who passes by and not familiar with the background or history behind it "yours truly", it gets confusing and start to assume that Auburn has two mascots. Now, I understand the whole argument that other "if not all" schools have double standards when it comes to logos/mascot and crys but I guess what makes people wonder more about Auburn than any other school that the majority decided to go with two things that are not related. so you have the tide and the elephant - bulldog and maroon - vols and that ugly ass dog and so on... where auburn cry and mascot involved two.. "you know"

I am not saying that other schools are better or vice versa. I am just trying to clarify my confusion to those who did attack me mercilessly and now that it was "kinda" answered "although not easily or civilly", I appreciate all of those who tried to clarify and explain the issue substantively to an uneducated rival fan "even though I know people will have fun with the uneducated part" and you can consider this thread closed "at least from my end" :)

Picture of the hat:

B000BPD1XM.01-AVRR6WAP2O9Z1._SCTHUMBZZZ_.jpg

I don't mind the War Eagle being used as a symbol of Auburn. I like it.

Specifically the old-school

Logo_Auburn_War_Bird.jpg

But I'm not a fan of that eagle logo on those hats.

Look dude... Its obvious that your reading comprehension is a bit lacking.... It is a battle cry, I know that you might associate the "cry" part of it with your football program lately but get a grip.

I was not trying to stir things up or being disrespectful to you "as individuals" or to your team. If that was my intention, it would ve been much easier to do that on an Alabama board instead of an Auburn one "do not you think?"

I did some research but I ended up with so many versions as to the tiger and the eagle that felt like I was reading Lord of the Ring all over again (check wikepedia for example). So I thought I would ask the question among "what I thought" the best people to know the answer... Unfortunately, I think I might need to ask on another Auburn fan boards.. However, I've only got a few mature responses and I appreciate these posters for offering their views -

HELLO! Are you illiterate, Boyjeddah?!? First you typed your post and then edited it but still left this out!

Here I will highlight it in orange so you can see it and think of Auburn and mean old number 6 at the same time!

Gosh you are a true bammer, and where is AUChizad to point this out!!!!!

Archived