Canada threatens retaliation

Donutboy

It seems like W.'s little vengeful act could cost us reconstruction dollars and manpower in Afghanistan!!

Canada threatens to stop Iraq aid

Countries that opposed war ineligible to take part in reconstruction effort

BY MARTIN O'HANLON

CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA (CP) - Paul Martin says he can't "fathom" an American decision to bar Canadian firms from bidding on lucrative reconstruction contracts in Iraq and will take up the matter with the U.S. ambassador.

Martin, who becomes prime minister Friday and is keen on fostering closer relations with the U.S., said the decision to exclude countries that opposed the American-led invasion of Iraq is flawed.

"I understand the importance of these kinds of contracts, but this shouldn't be just about who gets contracts, who gets business," he said Wednesday. "It ought to be what is the best thing for the people of Iraq."

The American directive, from deputy defence secretary Paul Wolfowitz, limits bidders for 26 lucrative contracts worth $18.6 billion (U.S.) to firms from the U.S., Iraq, their coalition partners and other countries that have sent troops to Iraq. Countries that did not sent troops would be eligible for subcontracting work.

Martin noted that Canada has committed nearly $300 million for reconstruction in Iraq and that Canadian troops in Afghanistan "are carrying a very, very heavy load" in the war on terrorism.

"I will certainly be discussing this with the ambassador and then we will see."

Canada threatens to stop Iraq aid

Go ahead Canada! Bite the hand that feeds...

If I was GWB, i'd be scared...

Don't be surprised, folks, if the white house softens up a bit on this with Russia, France, Germany & the Canuks up North. The word is we're just squeezing for concessions from each of them.

Beat em down Bush! :)

Frankly, I don't see how they can oppose us in almost every way possible, refuse to be part of the coalition to take out Saddam, then expect to be at the front of the line with everyone who did when it's time to bid on contracts. Boggles the mind.

Oh wait, I get it now. Much of France and Russia's (and to a lesser degree, Germany and Canada's) opposition is because they had fat business contracts with Saddam's government and didn't want to jeopardize those. Now since those contracts are basically null and void, they're hurting and are scratching and clawing to get any money they can.

Anyway, I'll bet you're right, WE96. This is a bargaining chip. They'll give up something the U.S. wants either in Afghanistan or Iraq and then companies from the excluded companies will be allowed to bid.

Go ahead Canada! Bite the hand that feeds...

If I was GWB, i'd be scared...

Don't be surprised, folks, if the white house softens up a bit on this with Russia, France, Germany & the Canuks up North. The word is we're just squeezing for concessions from each of them.

Beat em down Bush! :)

Bite the hand that feeds!?!?!? Canada is supplying us with Canadian troops in Afghanistan and had pledged hundreds of millions in the Iraqi reconstruction. How are WE the hand feeding THEM? One of the biggest problems that many have had with this administration is the contempt that they show for so many of our former allies and the way we "trickle" on them if they don't fall in line and blindly follow every whim of George W. Bush.

When I say "bite the hand that feeds" I'm talking about a much broader perspective than just Afbamkickasstistan and Iraq. I'm talking about our northern brothers feeding off of our prosperity for the last 100 years all the while scoffing at the way in which we achieve that prosperity.

Canadian Troops? Give me a break...if they aren't guarding the mess-halls, I'd be surprised. I'm sure we'll make it without them. I would like to say I felt very bad about the families of those Canadian pilots who were accidentally shot down at the beginning of the Iraq conflict.

You are a "blame America first" type Al and your attitude is scary. I hope someday you realize that you live in the greatest country in the history of the world. People like you are doing everything you can to bring this country to it's knees. I can just hope you don't breed...and if you do or have I hope your kids are smarter than you.

Archived