NICK SABAN SHOULD BE FIRED!!

GalensGhost

What fans say, and what a coach says.

Should the coach not be held to a higher standard with issues like that?

How many bama fans have used the 'N' word?

So because a small percentage of a large fanbase uses the term, it should be ok for a head coach to do the same?

Hahaha you just got your spin on!

Everyone should be held to the same standard. Do you HONESTLY think if anyone here used the N word in a post...it would be allowed? Hell no. Fans say a LOT of stuff that isnt acceptable. But you are grouping in "coonass" with that list of unacceptable things...when its been allowed on this very board...and I didn't see ANY of you high and mighty types calling those people out when they said it. So you have no place to call out Saban now.

Saban has 4 million reasons to be held to a higher standard.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is certainly not a firing offense, but it is still controversial - not for WHAT he said, but that he said anything at all. His remarking that it was off the record shows that he was aware of the potential for backlash.

If nothing else, he is just digging his hole deeper when it comes to alienating other schools in the conference, and it is even more amusing that he insulted the fans of the school that made his name in the first place. All we need now is for him to make some reference to Phat Phil and Krispy Kreme, or Tennessee hillbillies, and he will have three of the largest and most vocal fan bases in the country circling the bammer game on their calendars.

I personally use the word coonass all the time, mainly in reference to my own husband and his pals, none of whom are from any of the Cajun parishes. Would I go to Mulate's in Breaux Bridge and scream it out on a Fridaynight? Probably not. But onthis board, in this context, I don't see it getting *************'s any time soon.

No, he shouldn't be fired for it. Was it wrong to say it. Absolutely. CNS is a public fugure and right or wrong, is held to a higher standard than you or I. Not to mention the fact that it was stupid.

Stupid because he IS in the position he's in and knows that everything he says and does will be analyzed, picked apart etc.

Even more stupid because CNS has made no bones about the fact that he dislikes the media, refuses to cooperate in some cases, doesn't allow assistants to speak to the media....and he sits down with some reporters and says "Off the record, boys" and then proceeds to use what some consider a racial slur and launches an F-bomb.

Great decision there, Nick.

I think he should be fired for it....well, OK for my amusement. It would be perfect to see him lose his job without coaching a game, just like Price...then UAT is back on the hunt for their next 5th choice for hc... Everytime i drive by Arety's on fairfield, I still LAUGH out loud as I cruise on by.... So, for my entertainment, YES he should be fired..

Was watching some show at lunch on ESPN. Skip Bayless and three other talking heads.

Unanimous in their declaration that Saban's comments are "definitely a firing offense!"

I BRAYED LAUGHTER in the restaurant.

As John Wayne would say..."That'll be the day." :)

:au::homer:

Personally, I don't think that Saban's comments were racially motivated or racially insensitive.

Regards,

Kramer

George Allen

Trent Lott

Robert Byrd

Iran's President

David Duke

So essentialy all the AU fans who use the term are absolved because they are AU fans. If a UA coach uses it, he's a racist?

No...but we're not the coach at a major Southern university who ought to FREAKIN' KNOW BETTER!!! :poke:

:au::homer:

... I just know how crazy those fans get down there, especially when they're drunk and pissed off.

Drunk and pissed off -- isn't that all the time for dem coonarses? Good thing I'm not the HC at a mid-tier SEC school. I could get fired over a smart-a remark like that. :P

Personally, I don't think that Saban's comments were racially motivated or racially insensitive.

Regards,

Kramer

George Allen

Trent Lott

Robert Byrd

Iran's President

David Duke

You forgot Marge Schott.

Regards,

Kramer

George Allen

Trent Lott

Robert Byrd

Iran's President

David Duke

You forgot Marge Schott.

Are you the same guy I talked to at work today? :blink: Come on Matt, step out and tell all what you really think about this situation.

I have a big problem with people using derogatory comments about other cultures, but I have an even bigger problem with people's "apologies" when caught. He said he was repeating an anecdote that a friend had said, but it was not a word he used or condoned. Well, Slick, you did use it. You were recorded saying it. Obviously it is a term you use. And, if it was a word you do not condone using, then why retell a story where that word is used? I smell Bulls**t.

Regards,

Kramer

George Allen

Trent Lott

Robert Byrd

Iran's President

David Duke

You forgot Marge Schott.

Are you the same guy I talked to at work today? :blink: Come on Matt, step out and tell all what you really think about this situation.

I don't think the remak was racist, but I couldn't miss out on a jab like this. :poke:

My grandfather was from Louisiana.He referred to himself as a "CoonAss" all the time.I've heard them use the term to refer to each other on many occcasions.

My grandfather was from Louisiana.He referred to himself as a "CoonAss" all the time.I've heard them use the term to refer to each other on many occcasions.

that is the key.............they refer to each other that way. Outsiders do not

that is the key.............they refer to each other that way. Outsiders do not

What about the ones who don't care when outsiders call them a coonass?

I mean really, how many of you here are speaking on behalf of a group of people you know nothing about? And why did you guys steamroll right over Southlink's comments about the word?

I never steamrolled over the comments. If you will look back and read you will see that I said that if some people find it slanderous why use it. perception can be everything. That is what I am saying.

I never steamrolled over the comments. If you will look back and read you will see that I said that if some people find it slanderous why use it. perception can be everything. That is what I am saying.

Whether the people referenced find it offensive or not is not the issue. It's a derogatory term on the level of redneck, hillbilly, yankee, etc. If he'd been talking about Tennessee fans and made a crack about "hillbilly ditchdiggers" it would be just as low class.

It was a stupid thing for Saban to do and shows what kind of scuzzbag he is. It was bad enough that he was making fun of the accent and poverty level of a certain group of people, but worse that it was that group of people who made him. He was a nothing when he got to LSU. And he's a nothing now.

So essentialy all the AU fans who use the term are absolved because they are AU fans. If a UA coach uses it, he's a racist?

so am i to understand, BS, that you now use the AUN boards as the basis for determining the appropriateness of situations and events?

"if the AUN posters said it, then its ok for CN$ to say it!!!" is that really your defense of your coach?

that the phrase has been used here has absolutely nothing to do with Nick $chott's current debacle.

does this comment make him a racist? not in my opinion...but then again, i'm not a coonass and i don't know CN$...but if we've learned anything over the past 20 years of political correctness, its not intent of the speaker that matters, its how the message is received by those who choose to be offended by it.

regardless of the racial implications of his statement, this much is clear.

he didn't want the statement to go public...

he said the statement anyway...to a bunch of reports, nonetheless...

it was a stupid thing for him to do...

and now he must live with the aftermath...

perhaps it was his Destiny.... who knows.

"if the AUN posters said it, then its ok for CN$ to say it!!!" is that really your defense of your coach?

No. I'm merely stating that its QUITE hypocritical for people who commonly use the phrase to get on Nick Saban about it. You don't think that's being a bit of a hypocrite?

No. I'm merely stating that its QUITE hypocritical for people who commonly use the phrase to get on Nick Saban about it. You don't think that's being a bit of a hypocrite?

Excellent attempt at spin, BG, but it's just not working. Anonymous posters on a message board are held to a quite different standard than public figures. Because of the relative anonymity here some people will say things they might never say in public. Truth be told, do you think any of the people who post here would have the same arguments/discussions with you in person that they do here?

For what it's worth, ESPN is currently running a poll on whether Saban should be punished for his remarks. Curiously the state most strongly in favor of penalty is Louisiana. The state least in favor? Alabama of course. It's completely hilarious how many Bama fans suddenly have a "best friend" or "relative" from Louisiana who relishes being called coonass.

For what it's worth, ESPN is currently running a poll on whether Saban should be punished for his remarks. Curiously the state most strongly in favor of penalty is Louisiana. The state least in favor? Alabama of course. It's completely hilarious how many Bama fans suddenly have a "best friend" or "relative" from Louisiana who relishes being called coonass.

Yeah...what kind of people living in Louisiana would be on ESPN.com's COLLEGE Football page? Maybe sports fans? Maybe the LSU fans who absolutely HATE Nick Saban now?

Real scientific.

Truth be told, do you think any of the people who post here would have the same arguments/discussions with you in person that they do here?

I would hope so...getting a beer and playing overly nice would be no fun.

Yeah...what kind of people living in Louisiana would be on ESPN.com's COLLEGE Football page? Maybe sports fans? Maybe the LSU fans who absolutely HATE Nick Saban now?

Real scientific.

Truth be told, do you think any of the people who post here would have the same arguments/discussions with you in person that they do here?

I would hope so...getting a beer and playing overly nice would be no fun.

BG -

Never met a Bama justification he didn't like.

Yea, but what if he said, "So easy, even a caveman could do it."

Would you defend him then? Huh? No, I didn't think so. Wait, Ive got a call coming in. It's my mother, I'll put it on speaker.

Archived