Hearing Rumors about Wednesday...

DKW 86

Yeah, real big gets there. A guy who had his scholarship lifted by the school he WANTED to go to and a Prep School player who originally commited to Kentucky and had no offers from any big-name schools even after he went to Prep School. From what I've heard Goode is a good player, but dont spin this like you won some huge "recruiting war"...you got a guy who's only other real offer came from Kentucky.

Don't act like they lifted his offer because they didnt want him.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt you can back that post up with any factual basis. I live in Hoover and know quite a few boosters who went to Auburn. Hell, they may all be Bama fans anyway...but their degree says AU on it.

Hoover's Principal had their MARCHING BAND come out and play music as Saban was entering the school. Are you seriously trying to dispute this? Has Auburn ever gotten a big-name player from Hoover? No, they all go to Bama (and no, Ryan Ough doesn't count).

I sort of had the feeling back when he first started waffling on his commitment that he was gone. I don't think it will be a great loss. We signed a HUGE DL class last year (all but Ricks redshirted), so he probably would have been buried on the depth chart.

Given that the guy has been a lifelong Bama fan, he went to Hoover High (total Bama :homer: s), and he most definately would have been headed for a redshirt, its hard to blame him for taking the easy route to quick playing time. I really don't see how it was such a hard decision for him. Is Saban such a crappy recruiter that he can't pull a lifelong fan with a promise of early playing time? This guy should have been a Bama commit from day one.

Best of luck, Josh. I hope you can take those Iron Bowl butt whippings like a man.

I don't know that he can promise early playing time. We arent THAT thin at DT and we already had the #1 ranked DT class in the nation before Chapman switched.

Whose rankings are you going by? You said, "you had the best DT class in the nation prior to Chapman's switch". Let's take a look at the rankings while JC was a AU commit.

J. Chapman #33 > N. Gentry #39

T. Lamb #42 > A. McCullough #46

K. Coulahan # 47 > J. Elder #50

These rankings are courtesy of Scout.

welcome aboard Chapman :cheer: "if holds true"- and for some of the auburn posters here, thanks for being classy to the young man :thumbsup:

Yeah, real big gets there. A guy who had his scholarship lifted by the school he WANTED to go to and a Prep School player who originally commited to Kentucky and had no offers from any big-name schools even after he went to Prep School. From what I've heard Goode is a good player, but dont spin this like you won some huge "recruiting war"...you got a guy who's only other real offer came from Kentucky.

What else did they do then? Go look at LSU's recruiting, dumping Luther Davis was EASY. They had Peters and Corley to choose from, and even though they chose the wrong guy IMO, it doesn't change the fact that both guys are just as good as Davis and LSU had picking rights on both.

JC has always been a Bama fan, that's the #1 reason he switched. He had a hard time making a decision when the Tahd was only offering a grayshirt.

I wonder why hi$ mother would be $o adamant about him checking what uat had to offer? I mean, even after he $aid that $aban was a complete $limeball, and a$ much a$ he love$ L$U, he $till wouldn't even con$ider it if $aban wa$ $till coaching. It'$ pretty $trange how he lied to Mile$ about the trip.

I wonder what Davi$'$ mother'$ motivation wa$ to en$ure that he take a look at uat.

I doubt you can back that post up with any factual basis. I live in Hoover and know quite a few boosters who went to Auburn. Hell, they may all be Bama fans anyway...but their degree says AU on it.

Hoover's Principal had their MARCHING BAND come out and play music as Saban was entering the school. Are you seriously trying to dispute this? Has Auburn ever gotten a big-name player from Hoover? No, they all go to Bama (and no, Ryan Ough doesn't count).

Guys. I am AU fan, but this didn't happen. And yes players do go to AU. Recently the trend has not been for them to go, but at the same time the number of D1 players that everyone was after have not been that many. Yes Chad Jackson was a big time player- he went to FL. Most of the players that went to UA over the past few years were not big time recruits. The 2 (?) Hoover players that are currently on UA roster right now were not recruited or offered by AU even though one of them grew up an AU fan. This years crop of Hoover recruits are good and 2 of them (Pugh and Murphy) are big time recruits. In past years when Hoover was Berry High School, AU got their share of players: Stan White, Rob Selby, Ben Tamburello, Kurt Crane, and all the way back to Mike Kolen. As a general note, the number of kids out of the total school population is about evenly split when choosing whether to go to AU or UA with maybe a lean to AU.

I sort of had the feeling back when he first started waffling on his commitment that he was gone. I don't think it will be a great loss. We signed a HUGE DL class last year (all but Ricks redshirted), so he probably would have been buried on the depth chart.

Given that the guy has been a lifelong Bama fan, he went to Hoover High (total Bama :homer: s), and he most definately would have been headed for a redshirt, its hard to blame him for taking the easy route to quick playing time. I really don't see how it was such a hard decision for him. Is Saban such a crappy recruiter that he can't pull a lifelong fan with a promise of early playing time? This guy should have been a Bama commit from day one.

Best of luck, Josh. I hope you can take those Iron Bowl butt whippings like a man.

I don't know that he can promise early playing time. We arent THAT thin at DT and we already had the #1 ranked DT class in the nation before Chapman switched.

Whose rankings are you going by? You said, "you had the best DT class in the nation prior to Chapman's switch". Let's take a look at the rankings while JC was a AU commit.

J. Chapman #33 > N. Gentry #39

T. Lamb #42 > A. McCullough #46

K. Coulahan # 47 > J. Elder #50

These rankings are courtesy of Scout.

I decided to look at how Rivals ranks them just for comparison. And of course, you're not counting Kerry Murphy who may still sign with Bama.

Bama:

Alfred McCullough #24

Luther Davis #25

Nick Gentry #29

Jeremy Elder is listed as a defensive end by is unranked at that position

Auburn:

Josh Chapman: #32

Tim Lamb: #36

Kyle Coulahan is listed as an offensive tackle.

DT wasn't a position of focus for us this year. It was last year when we signed 4 of them including the #13 DT in the country (Jemarcus Ricks) and the #1 DT in JUCO/prep school (Greg Smith).

I guess all the pressure these two have been under is supposedly cracking them.

Chapman's family wants him to go to AU. The Hoover coaching staff wont hear of it and are shoving Bama down the poor kids throat. I am now told he will sign with bama either Tuesday or Wednesday. Wait for the Crimson

:bs: Tsunami to hit full force as Saban is declared God and His Own Son too.

Both are good kids, especially Chapman. If they go, we wish them well.

Whatever. Anything to take another shot at Bama huh? It was WELL documented that he wanted an offer from Bama and the old staff didnt give him that. And you're telling me that the mean ole Bama fan coaches are going to have more of an influence on him that the kids parents?

Why can't it just be "the kid grew up a Bama fan and wants to go to Bama"? Why does it always have to involve some backhanded comment where you are trying to make us look like some evil empire?

No BG, That comes from Coaches and friends that actually talked to the kid, unlike your sources. I guess I must have missed the pep band and banner for CTT when he arrived at Hoover, but of course you wont mind showing us pics of them will you? The kid was a Bama fan all his life, He went to Hoover, probably the only school instate that is almost a sure Bama pipeline. He was under a full court press to do what the coaching staff wanted and to ignore his family's wishes.

I guess all the pressure these two have been under is supposedly cracking them.

Chapman's family wants him to go to AU. The Hoover coaching staff wont hear of it and are shoving Bama down the poor kids throat. I am now told he will sign with bama either Tuesday or Wednesday. Wait for the Crimson

:bs: Tsunami to hit full force as Saban is declared God and His Own Son too.

Both are good kids, especially Chapman. If they go, we wish them well.

Whatever. Anything to take another shot at Bama huh? It was WELL documented that he wanted an offer from Bama and the old staff didnt give him that. And you're telling me that the mean ole Bama fan coaches are going to have more of an influence on him that the kids parents?

Why can't it just be "the kid grew up a Bama fan and wants to go to Bama"? Why does it always have to involve some backhanded comment where you are trying to make us look like some evil empire?

No BG, That comes from Coaches and friends that actually talked to the kid, unlike your sources. I guess I must have missed the pep band and banner for CTT when he arrived at Hoover, but of course you wont mind showing us pics of them will you? The kid was a Bama fan all his life, He went to Hoover, probably the only school instate that is almost a sure Bama pipeline. He was under a full court press to do what the coaching staff wanted and to ignore his family's wishes.

the irony here kills me.... I made the exact same comment about McNeil's situation but for some reason, there was noooo way a coach's opinion can override family wishes... http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?s...st&p=337954

all of a sudden it's possible now..!!

I wonder why hi$ mother would be $o adamant about him checking what uat had to offer? I mean, even after he $aid that $aban was a complete $limeball, and a$ much a$ he love$ L$U, he $till wouldn't even con$ider it if $aban wa$ $till coaching. It'$ pretty $trange how he lied to Mile$ about the trip.

I wonder what Davi$'$ mother'$ motivation wa$ to en$ure that he take a look at uat.

Hmmmm...Reggie Bush, anyone?

Good luck to the kid. If he wants to play for Bama, then by all means.....slap the best offer away and go for it! Auburn will survive, and Auburn will continue to beat Alabama on a regular basis over the next 5-10 years. The days of Alabama dominating the rivalry have been over for several years now, and I do not see ONE MAN changing that in the near future.

If he goes to bama, then he's living a dream. If he comes to Auburn, his dreams become reality. Win win for the young man. If he's lucky, he can find out what it's like to actually beat Auburn in a game, unlike that last two classes of Bama players.

So you are saying Alabama paid Luther Davis to come aboard?

Guest Tigrinum Major

You can't slip anything by this one, I tell you. He's sharp.

I just wanted to be sure before I blasted them.

Feel free to refute the rampant rumors that ruminate randomly these days.

But you can't prove they aren't based in reality.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Excellent use of alliteration.

Now I'll wait for the blasting to start. :popcorn:

Thank you, I like to mix in some literary devices from time to time.

I, too, am waiting for the blasting to begin.

RSCL0050.jpg

First I'd like to know, besides the hatred of Alabama, where the accusation of us paying a player comes from. We haven't been found guilty of paying a player in 8 years. The current staff has never been accused of it either.

I could just as easily (and equally founded) say that Auburn paid for Michael McNeils services.

There are unfounded whispers out there. I'll not be the one to repeat them.

unfounded being the key. I could start a rumor right now about Auburn if I wanted to. It would be just as credible as some Auburn fan starting junk about Alabama.

First I'd like to know, besides the hatred of Alabama, where the accusation of us paying a player comes from. We haven't been found guilty of paying a player in 8 years. The current staff has never been accused of it either.

I could just as easily (and equally founded) say that Auburn paid for Michael McNeils services.

You could, but you know it's not true.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Unfounded might be a bit strong. I have heard this particular rumor from more than two places, all but one of them unrelated to internet message boards.

Perhaps, unsubstaniated should have been used in lieu of unfounded.

K-Boom.

Question..(And this is not a slam on the kid) Why is there so much hype over a guy who was only offered a gray shirt. I know Auburn offered and I'd be happy to have him put on the orange and blue. But, if he's worth all this fuss, pep bands, cheerleaders, hookers etc. (Actually, I threw in the hooker part. I have no real proof) why would he not be worthy of a full ride right off the bat at Bama?

Signed, Curious in Kalamazoo

Archived