Hillary endears herself to South Carolinians

Tiger in Spain

Clinton Objects to Confederate Flag

ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) -- Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday that South Carolina should remove the Confederate flag from its Statehouse grounds, in part because the nation should unite under one banner while at war. (certain members of her party should unite under the stars and stripes while their country is at war)

"I think about how many South Carolinians have served in our military and who are serving today under our flag and I believe that we should have one flag that we all pay honor to, as I know that most people in South Carolina do every single day," Clinton told The Associated Press in an interview.

"I personally would like to see it removed from the Statehouse grounds," the New York senator said during her first trip to the early voting state since announcing her White House bid.

Other Democratic hopefuls, including Sens. Joe Biden and Chris Dodd, have said the flag should come down. The banner, which once flew over the Statehouse dome and now flies nearby, is the subject of an ongoing NAACP boycott.

Clinton is one of several Democrats to draw huge crowds during campaign stops in the state, but she said during the interview that her party will have a tough time winning in GOP-heavy South Carolina

"I think it's going to be hard for any Democrat to carry the state," she said. "The Republican Party is very strong here."

Earlier in the day, Clinton spoke to more than 1,500 people gathered at Allen University, a historically black college in Columbia.

The senator picked up key endorsements last week from two black state senators who helped deliver black voters to former North Carolina Sen. John Edwards in 2004. One of those politicians, state Sen. Darrell Jackson, whose media company also picked up a $10,000 consulting contract from Clinton's campaign, introduced her to the Allen University crowd.

During the AP interview, Clinton said her campaign struck no deal with Jackson. "Senator Jackson has worked in Clinton campaigns going back to 1992," she said.

Link

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironic isn't it a democrat saying "the nation should unite under one banner while at war."

Is this the flag the dems want the US to unite under?

white_flag.gif

BAIT ALERT!!!

Ironic isn't it a democrat saying "the nation should unite under one banner while at war."

Is this the flag the dems want the US to unite under?

white_flag.gif

Refute what was said. I'd say Tigermike's assertion is based in fact.

The only baiting going on here is Hillary's race baiting. She failed to acknowledge that a democrat, Fritz Hollings, had it flying when he was governor of South Carolina.

She also might want to ask ol' Willy boy why he never repealed Confederate Flag Day in Arkansas when he was governor there for 12 years. How many times did she shake her fist in the air to correct that injustice?

"I think about how many South Carolinians have served in our military and who are serving today under our flag and I believe that we should have one flag that we all pay honor to, as I know that most people in South Carolina do every single day"...

Wouldn't that be an argument against all state flags!

It was a pretty sharp way for her to appeal to the Black vote and by waving the US flag the whites as well.

Typical of you Al. Are you insinuating the dems are not and have not been pushing surrender?

She failed to acknowledge that a democrat, Fritz Hollings, had it flying when he was governor of South Carolina.

Hollings was against flying the flag on the state grounds while he was in the Senate.

U.S. Sen. Fritz Hollings (D-S.C.) had no comment on the NCAA’s action, though his press secretary Andy Davis, said Hollings has vigorously opposed the flying of the flag.

“(The senator) has said for many years that the flag should come down,” Davis said.

He was for it when he was the governor.

During his governorship he signed legislation ordering the Confederate Flag to be raised over the state capital to commemorate the 100th anniversary of South Carolina's secession from the union, and to protest the growing civil rights movement.

Link

Typical democrat; for something before they were against it!

Man, that's the line that keeps giving! :big:

It's a South Carolina issue and therefore, it's for the state residents to decide. A NY senator running for president is simply posturing on this issue and is hardly "uniting" anyone in South Carolina over it.

And for the record, one person's "rebel" is another person's "patriot." About a 1/3 of the American population at the time of our revolution were Tories and they believed what the King of England was saying about our founding fathers -- that they were all rebels/traitors and deserved to hang. Similarly, the secession which began with South Carolina was led by men who believed they were being true to the spirit of the American Revolution. They believed they were defending the freedoms for which American blood was spilled during that war. Again, the definition of "patriot" & "rebel" depends upon your particular point of view.

In this instance, a shameless carbetbagging harpy from NY is sticking her nose in a place where it's liable to get knocked off. That she is denouncing the war on one hand and saying if the war isn't ended by Jan 2009 then she'll end it, and then has the gall to speak about uniting in a time of war ... ... hypocrite.

It's a South Carolina issue and therefore, it's for the state residents to decide. A NY senator running for president is simply posturing on this issue and is hardly "uniting" anyone in South Carolina over it.

And for the record, one person's "rebel" is another person's "patriot." About a 1/3 of the American population at the time of our revolution were Tories and they believed what the King of England was saying about our founding fathers -- that they were all rebels/traitors and deserved to hang. Similarly, the secession which began with South Carolina was led by men who believed they were being true to the spirit of the American Revolution. They believed they were defending the freedoms for which American blood was spilled during that war. Again, the definition of "patriot" & "rebel" depends upon your particular point of view.

In this instance, a shameless carbetbagging harpy from NY is sticking her nose in a place where it's liable to get knocked off. That she is denouncing the war on one hand and saying if the war isn't ended by Jan 2009 then she'll end it, and then has the gall to speak about uniting in a time of war ... ... hypocrite.

Well said, Logger.

None of our libs have tried to answer this one.

She (Hillary) also might want to ask ol' Willy boy why he never repealed Confederate Flag Day in Arkansas when he was governor there for 12 years. How many times did she shake her fist in the air to correct that injustice?

And for the record, one person's "rebel" is another person's "patriot." ... Again, the definition of "patriot" & "rebel" depends upon your particular point of view.

So you favored the insurgents against the United States of America.

Your comments against the south reflect a profound nescience of history.

Your comments against the south reflect a profound nescience of history.

Quit engaging in nuance. This is a simple, straightforward fact. You favored insurgents over the United States military. You should surrender your commission for retroactively stabbing the USA military men in the back.

And for the record, one person's "rebel" is another person's "patriot." .... Similarly, the secession which began with South Carolina was led by men who believed they were being true to the spirit of the American Revolution. They believed they were defending the freedoms for which American blood was spilled during that war. Again, the definition of "patriot" & "rebel" depends upon your particular point of view.

Well said, Logger.

Calling insurgents "freeedom fighters" doesn't change the fact that they fought against troops who were fighting to preserve the duly elected constitutional government that was in place instead of trying to work within the political system.

You're wrong. I never raised my weapon against my country. Since the fight ended 99 years before I was born, you can say I didn't have a dog in the fight.

My relatives, who weren't slave owners, all fought for the Confederacy. A quick glance of the history books will clue you in to what they fought for. It wasn't slavery or secession just for the hell of it. They were getting screwed over by the US government and had enough of it; just like our founding fathers went through with King George.

Calling insurgents "freeedom fighters" doesn't change the fact that they fought against troops who were fighting to preserve the duly elected constitutional government that was in place instead of trying to work within the political system.

The political system was part of the cause. If you want to split hairs then you could say Lincoln invaded a sovereign nation. Where do you want to draw the line? I can do this all day.

Loyalist. You would have made one hell of a redcoat.

Loyalist. You would have made one hell of a redcoat.

I'm loyal to the duly elected, constitutional government of the United States of America. You are not. Simple fact.

They were getting screwed over by the US government and had enough of it;

Blame America first when it suits your political purpose. Typical.

Do not use today's standards and try to apply them to yesteryear. It does not work. there are a LOT of things that by todays standards were horrific but not so much so by standards of the 1850's.

If you want to split hairs then you could say Lincoln invaded a sovereign nation. Where do you want to draw the line? I can do this all day.

You can do it all day, but its not true. I'm not splitting hairs, I'm stating simple facts. The confederacy was not a sovereign nation. They were renegade insurgents. The United States of America was and is the sovereign nation that true Americans defended and continue to defend.

I don't know. I'm a proud Southerner, but I really don't share this nostalgia for the Civil War. It was a stupid, destructive conflict that the South, while defending the legitimate principle of states' rights versus the encroaching power of the Federal government, chose to fight over the immoral, indefensible issue of slavery. It slaughtered the cream of Southern leadership, utterly destroyed our economy, and was the key reason our region suffered through 125 years of grueling poverty. While there were other components to states' rights, do you really think the South would have willingly gone to war over the issue of tarriffs? Do you think landowners would have whipped up war fever over a 2% tax on sheet music and imported fabrics? I didn't think so, either.

The other thing I would offer is that the Confederate battle flag was only hoisted over Southern capitals in the 1950s and 1960s as we defended the other great shameful stupidity of our region: Segregation and the outright oppression of blacks. So the context of how and why the Confederate Battle flag waves over Columbia is important as well.

Sure we Southerners were valiant in battle, and generals such as Stonewall Jackson and Lee were tactical geniuses. But the consequences of the Civil War continue to reverberate almost 150 years later. Let's be done with it already.

Do not use today's standards and try to apply them to yesteryear. It does not work. there are a LOT of things that by todays standards were horrific but not so much so by standards of the 1850's.

You're splitting hairs when it suits you.

You're splitting hairs when it suits you.

That is not splitting hairs. You can NEVER objectively look at anything in history if you do not use the standards and knowledge (or lack of knowledge) that those individuals had at the time.

Archived