Auburn passing game

TigerHeat

Some stats for our QB:

Brandon "Average Joe" Cox, ranked #31 by passer rating (141.28) right behind USC's John David Booty (141.89). Cox is ranked ahead of Cal's Nate Longshore, Alex Brink, Drew Tate, Drew "playing on Sunday" Stanton, and some guy named Sarah Jessica Parker Wilson (#46 with a 128.92).

Completion percentage? Average Joe scored a 61.2% (#40). He's ranked ahead of Brink, Stanton, Zac Taylor, Longshore, Tate, Drew Weatherford, and a Heisman candidate named Sarah Jessica (57.2% for a #67 in the nation result).

Yards per attempt? Our boy averaged 8.3 (#15, and tied with National Champ QB and Toomer's Corner hero Chris Leak). He was ahead of just about everyone in this stat. Most notably, he was ahead of Sarah Jessica (7.3 yards per, good for #42).

Interceptions? Average Joe hurled nine this season. Of course, four of those came in the Meltdown Between the Hedges, and it's just not fair to make a guy keep playing for seven quarters. At least it seemed like seven quarters. Sarah Jessica "All the Tools" Parker Wilson threw ten picks this season.

Sacks? Cox took a beating this season, but I don't remember him ever losing a fumble all season (maybe someone with a better memory can correct me if I'm wrong).

Clutch plays: here's where it gets tricky. Our boy, "average Joe", seemed to keep winning important games this year. LSU...Cox punches it in for our only score. South Carolina....Cox keeps USC off the field for entire 3rd quarter. Florida...Cox makes the plays to set up four field goals to defeat the national champ Gators. Bama....Cox hits Prechae for the final score of the game to seal the fifth straight Iron Bowl win. These don't even take into account the numerous 3rd-and-longs and throwing out of our endzone plays he's pulled off, nor his 100% QB sneaks this year.

Wins? "Average Joe" is 20-5 as the AU starter. Remember that his first season as a starter was the year the NFL took our $87M backfield, and the next year we lost almost our entire receiving corps. Cox has beaten Bama twice, Georgia once, LSU once, Spurrier twice, PAC-10 once, Nebraska for the first time ever, shut out MSU twice (wouldn't Bama love to say that), and beaten the National Champions. He's 4-1 against top ten ranked teams. Yeah, he's average.

I'll take this 11-2 "down year" again next year with these "ugly" wins right now. I dare say that our rivals would also be happy to be 11-2 in just about any season.

If we have any standout receivers next year everybody better watch out!

War Eagle.

Clutch plays: here's where it gets tricky. Our boy, "average Joe", seemed to keep winning important games this year.

I have a ton of respect for Brandon Cox and much of your post supports the position that he is a solid quarterback. However, IMHO, "our boy" didn't win the Florida or LSU games this season .... our defense was the clear reason for both of those wins. Our defense also deserves most of the credit for the Arkansas loss. The Georgia loss? .... well, that was all on "our boy."

All-in-all though, I'm glad to have BC as our quarterback this season :thumbsup:

brandoncox2.jpg

Great post you put together, TH. A lot of times, you simply ask your QB not to lose games for you, and aside from a couple of games, BC has pretty much done that and more. I remember a couple of games JC lost single handily, and look at the senior season he had. I expect great things from BC this coming up season if he is protected well and a receiver or two step up to the plat as the go to guy(s).

Our offense played a lot better than people remember in that Florida game, they just couldn't punch it in. Cox threw for 182 (goes without saying it was a hell of a lot better than Troy Smith did), and we had 2 drives stall inside the 5 yard line (1 was Tommy Trott's fumble). That was a total team win: defense, special teams, AND just enough offense.

and we had 2 drives stall inside the 5 yard line (1 was Tommy Trott's fumble).

Point of order here. I want it on record that TT took one heck of a shot on this play. I would have been more surprised if he did not fumble it. (I still didn't like it, just saying)

one more thing to get you excited about the brandon this year: sec title winning qbs.

2006 chris leak, sr.

2005 dj shockley, sr.

2004 jason campbell, sr.

2003 matt mauck, sr.

2002 david greene, soph.

2001 rohan davey, sr.

senior qbs are the best weapons you can have in this conference b/c they've been through the wars. this year, the list is short: cox, woodson, ainge, flynn (i think), mitchell (same). one of those teams is probably taking down the conference title. i think you can rule our south carolina and kentucky. i like our chances with brandon if we can find a few playmakers in the receiving corp.

one more thing to get you excited about the brandon this year: sec title winning qbs.

2006 chris leak, sr.

2005 dj shockley, sr.

2004 jason campbell, sr.

2003 matt mauck, sr.

2002 david greene, soph.

2001 rohan davey, sr.

senior qbs are the best weapons you can have in this conference b/c they've been through the wars. this year, the list is short: cox, woodson, ainge, flynn (i think), mitchell (same). one of those teams is probably taking down the conference title. i think you can rule our south carolina and kentucky. i like our chances with brandon if we can find a few playmakers in the receiving corp.

Hmm, good point. Maybe Ainge vs. Flynn or Cox in the SEC Championship a la' 1997 with 2 Senior QBs in a classic.

and we had 2 drives stall inside the 5 yard line (1 was Tommy Trott's fumble).

Point of order here. I want it on record that TT took one heck of a shot on this play. I would have been more surprised if he did not fumble it. (I still didn't like it, just saying)

One thing on that though I was in that corner of that endzone, 20 rows up that fumble happened right in front of me, Trott was holding the ball like a loaf of bread he did not have it tucked up close to his body (ala fooseball 101). We won though and thats all that matters!!!!

Back to the subject, I think Cox has a great year this year, I think a lot was blamed on him that was not his fault, ie I dont think receivers were running crisp routes nor were they fully grasping the offense. Also he was really beat up this year, there is no way he plays like he did the last few games without something being wrong...IMO the hit he took at LSU caused a problem for him the rest of the year. I think with the new studs we have at receiver we are definetly gonna win some ball games!

CTT and CAB always say the same thing about BC, that he holds the ball way too long and that he will get hurt doing it. Go to any alumni event you will hear it. BC was just very hurt much of the year. He still went 11-2 even with the nightmare :uga: game. Sprung back to beat :ua: and Nebraska too.

We face a similiar season as in 2005. Lets see how we did back then. Road games in BOLD since that seems to be the most important thing this season.

Date Opponent Location Results

9/3 Georgia Tech Auburn L 23-14 CAB & CTT said they asked too much of a new qb throwing way too much.

9/10 Mississippi State Auburn W 28-0

9/17 Ball State Auburn W 63-3

9/24 Western Kentucky Auburn W 37-14 Field played here, not Cox.

10/1 South Carolina Auburn W 48-7

10/15 Arkansas Fayetteville W 34-17

10/22 LSU Baton Rouge L 20-17 (0T) Missed many chances to win on the road. Missed 5 fgs!

10/29 Ole Miss Auburn W 27-3

11/5 Kentucky Lexington W 49-27

11/12 Georgia Athens W 31-30

11/19 Home Alabama Auburn W 28-18

1/2 Capital One Bowl - Wisconsin Orlando L 24-10 Whole team went in playing very down.

Suddenly, I am not that worried about this season. One more point: When was the last time CTT had to replace 4 OL?

2004, and we all know how that came out. ;)

I dunno, changing travel plans from Lexington to Gainesville is never a good thing.

Agreed, but we arent surrendering just yet.

One thing on that though I was in that corner of that endzone, 20 rows up that fumble happened right in front of me, Trott was holding the ball like a loaf of bread he did not have it tucked up close to his body (ala fooseball 101). We won though and thats all that matters!!!!

Agreed. The fresh baked kind too. Like it was hot.

I dunno, changing travel plans from Lexington to Gainesville is never a good thing.

Agreed, but we arent surrendering just yet.

Can't say that I blame ya. ;)

Archived