Peaceful Islam strikes again.

CCTAU

Also notice that they are insurgents, not terrorists.

Somali insurgents warn peacekeepers away By MOHAMED OLAD HASSAN, Associated Press Writer

1 hour, 26 minutes ago

MOGADISHU, Somalia - Somali insurgents warned Wednesday against the impending deployment of African peacekeepers in the war-ravaged country, as families began burying their dead after some of the heaviest violence to hit the capital this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Just hours after the U.N. Security Council voted unanimously to authorize an African Union force to help stabilize Somalia, one insurgent leader said they will fight any foreign troops who are sent into the country.

"The U.N. should keep its hand off our country because the Islamic forces are ready to fight any foreign troops whether they are blue helmet or black helmet," said one insurgent leader identified only as Osman.

He claimed to be part of a newly formed extremist group the Popular Resistance Movement in the Land of the Two Migrations.

The U.N. hopes the 8,000-member African Union force can stabilize the country following the ouster earlier this year of a radical Islamic movement that controlled much of southern Somalia since June.

The deployment is also meant to prevent a vacuum of power and allow the withdrawal of Ethiopian forces that supported Somalia's weak transitional government in battles against the Islamic militia fighters.

The peacekeepers will have to confront the growing violence that has plagued the capital, Mogadishu, since the battle with the Islamic Courts Union.

Fifteen people were killed and 45 wounded Tuesday in crossfire between Somali government forces and Ethiopian troops battling radical elements of an Islamic group ousted in December.

Hundreds of families have begun fleeing the capital, and hospitals say they are struggling to cope with the daily influx of wounded.

Meanwhile, the city's powerful warlords are said to be buying new weaponry at Mogadishu's main weapons bazaar, known as Irtokte, according to arms traders.

"Brokers representing five warlords ... have been buying weapons from here for the last two months," said arms dealer Socotoy Sheikh Mohamed. "They bought more than 300 heavy machine guns, rocket-propelled grenades and other weapons," he said.

The U.N. resolution urges the 53 African nations to contribute troops to the 8,000-strong force and urges other U.N. member states to provide financial support and any needed personnel, equipment and services.

The deployment is also intended to set the stage for U.N. peacekeepers to take over the long-term job of bringing peace to the Horn of Africa nation.

"For the first time in 15 years, the Somali people have a prospect of being governed by representative institutions that will provide them with security and stability," said Britain's U.N. Ambassador Emyr Jones Parry, the main sponsor of the resolution, in New York.

Mogadishu's escalating violence threatens to plunge Somalia back into the years of anarchy and chaos that dogged the war-ravaged nation after 1991, when warlords overthrew dictator Mohamed Siad Barre, igniting a 16-year conflict.

Numerous attempts at restoring order have failed. The transitional government was formed in 2004 with U.N. help, but has had little authority because it has no real army or police force.

"I really welcome the U.N. move," said Khadija Ulusow, a businesswoman in the coastal city of 2 million. "We are tired of war, enough is enough."

Others were critical of the U.N. move.

"The U.N. is just serving the interests of our archenemy Ethiopia to consolidate its grip on our country. That is unfair and unbecoming of a world body meant to be neutral," said 64-year-old Abu Ali Yarow.

The latest fighting has raised questions about the deployment of the AU force, whose first troops — a small Burundian advance team — were scheduled to be on the ground as early as Friday. Uganda canceled a Wednesday news conference without explanation at which it planned to announce a date for deployment of its force.

Nigeria, however, reiterated its commitment to establishing stability in Somalia, saying Tuesday that its 850 troops should arrive by mid-April.

The insurgency has grown increasingly bloody since the government, backed by soldiers from neighboring Ethiopia, drove out the Islamic group. Since then, insurgents have staged near-daily attacks, with Mogadishu's civilian population bearing the brunt.

In the last three weeks, 51 people have been killed and more than 100 wounded. Ethiopian troops, largely seen as an occupying Christian force, have been accused of indiscriminate attacks against civilian-populated areas.

LINK

Muslims will kill anyone who tries to help

I'd like to help them meet Allah and their rag headed, more than likely unbathed, hypocritical founding prophet.

Oh snap, I'll get to do it again shortly. Nevermind.

Muslims will kill anyone who tries to help

I'd like to help them meet Allah and their rag headed, more than likely unbathed, hypocritical founding prophet.

Oh snap, I'll get to do it again shortly. Nevermind.

Lets pray you smell them before they see you.

Rosie O'Donnell said they are citizens not insurgents. She gets angry when she hears people who live in countries we've invaded labeled as insurgents. "It's THEIR country," the fat bloated pig moaned. "WE'RE the insurgents." She should spend a week there. Living among the citizens. I think they'd find her just as abhorrent as I do.

Who cares what rosie o'donnel thinks?

Funny how when you read the article it in no way matches the way cctau titled it. Small mind meet smaller victory.

Funny how when you read the article it in no way matches the way cctau titled it. Small mind meet smaller victory.

Read the article, and cctau's title was spot on with the article. That is , unless you're siding w/ the Islamo - terrorist. <_<

I beg to differ. How do you interpret the excerpt I pulled from the article?

"The U.N. should keep its hand off our country because the Islamic forces are ready to fight any foreign troops whether they are blue helmet or black helmet," said one insurgent leader identified only as Osman.

Sounds like the insurgents terrorists are threatening to kill anyone that sends help into Somalia to me.

You're right. I deleted the part out where they are willing to fight using only rubber bullets. That will prevent the MUSLIMS from KILLING anyone who tries to HELP. Sorry bout that. Now you have the real story thanks to tiggy88.

Archived