Ranking the SEC coaches...and share your favorite cornbread recipe!

BAMMERPERRY

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't even bother. The list is a joke, at least I hope it is. The orange and blue is for UF, not AU. Nutt is higher than Tuberville. Their reasonings are lame too. They knock us for having a weak out of conference schedule when, last I checked, they had one too this year.

The list is pure BS.

Does anybody have a good cornbread recipe?

MMMM cornbred. Sometimes I like to put cracklins in mine and sometimes I don't.

Yellow corn meal or white? I prefer yellow, fried in a cast iron skillet.

I like white corn meal and actually making a cast iron pan of it rather than frying which is what I call hoe cakes.

My grandmother makes a mean Mexican Cornbread with jalapeños which leads to a funny story. You know how as you get older your taste buds seem to lose a little bit of their zip. Well she decided that the last few times she made her Mexican cornbread it didn't have enough oomph to it. She decided to forgo the jalapeños and bought some little red peppers as she described it. She put as much of the Thai peppers in the cornbread as she had been putting jalapeños in. Boy did we get a surprise at that Sunday dinner! :angryfire:

Some serious crack being smoked by that guy. Phat Phil #8? I don't like the guy, but he's not the eighth best coach in the SEC. I realize that, with the talent pool of coaches in the SEC, you probably couldn't slide a piece of paper between #1 and #9, but this is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

And, seriously. Saban at #2? The guy had one great season at a program that essentially has the entire state of Louisiana to itself. Before that, he had several mediocre seasons at LSU and MSU. After that, he had two mediocre seasons at Miami. What's more, the guy evidently does instill loyalty, given how none of his assistants choose to follow him.

Oh, the guy bases the entire lofty ranking of Saban on the situation he inherited. Well, if that's the case, then Tubs should be ranked #1, because he inherited an absolute debacle from Bowden and has steadily built the program to the point that it's becoming a destination far outside our traditional recruiting grounds.

Try this one. You need a cast iron skillet

1 egg

1 4/5 cups buttermilk

4 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil

2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix

1 tsp. salt (optional)

*If you don't have self-rising cornmeal, you can use regular cornmeal plus 1/2 tsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. baking powder.

Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees.

Beat the egg in a medium- to large-sized bowl.

Add the buttermilk and oil. Mix.

Add salt (optional, and not at all necessary).

Gradually add the cornmeal, and stir just until blended.

Coat the inside of the skillet with about 1 tbsp. of oil. Heat it on an eye of the stove until it smokes. By now the oven should be good and hot, too.

Pour the batter into the skillet. It will give off a satisfying sizzle.

Put the skillet into the oven. (This is why you need the cast iron skillet.)

Check on the cornbread after about 15 minutes, and keep looking at it every minute or two. When it's done the cornbread should be a lovely golden brown, and a knife inserted in it should come out clean. It should take 20 minutes at the most.

"What's more, the guy evidently does instill loyalty, given how none of his assistants choose to follow him. "

Just goes to show you where the winning comes from with this guy. :cheer:

Now here's the serious cornbread question; cake style, corn muffins, or corn sticks?

Try this one. You need a cast iron skillet

1 egg

1 4/5 cups buttermilk

4 tbsp. vegetable or olive oil

2 cups self-rising cornmeal mix

1 tsp. salt (optional)

*If you don't have self-rising cornmeal, you can use regular cornmeal plus 1/2 tsp. baking soda and 1 tsp. baking powder.

Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees.

Beat the egg in a medium- to large-sized bowl.

Add the buttermilk and oil. Mix.

Add salt (optional, and not at all necessary).

Gradually add the cornmeal, and stir just until blended.

Coat the inside of the skillet with about 1 tbsp. of oil. Heat it on an eye of the stove until it smokes. By now the oven should be good and hot, too.

Pour the batter into the skillet. It will give off a satisfying sizzle.

Put the skillet into the oven. (This is why you need a cast iron skillet.)

Check on the cornbread after about 15 minutes, and keep looking at it every minute or two. When it's done the cornbread should be a lovely golden brown, and a knife inserted in it should come out clean. It should take 20 minutes at the most.

That one is close to mine although I add pinch of sugar and I heat the grease in the skillet then add it to my cornbred mix. Mine usually comes out a little different everytime cause I just don't measure anything anymore and cooking it in a #12 skillet makes a lot of it.

Something I haven't had in a while, but I love it:

Broccoli Cornbread

INGREDIENTS:

2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix, or similar

4 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 sticks melted butter or margarine (6 ounces)

1 pkg. (10 oz) chopped broccoli, thawed and drained

1 medium onion, chopped

1 cup cottage cheese

PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients and pour into greased 9- X 13-inch baking dish. Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.

MMMMM...mmmmm good.

Something I haven't had in a while, but I love it:

Broccoli Cornbread

INGREDIENTS:

2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix, or similar

4 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 sticks melted butter or margarine (6 ounces)

1 pkg. (10 oz) chopped broccoli, thawed and drained

1 medium onion, chopped

1 cup cottage cheese

PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients and pour into greased 9- X 13-inch baking dish. Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.

MMMMM...mmmmm good.

Interesting. I'll try this one over the weekend.

Anyone know where you can buy a good cast iron corn stick pan?

Now here's the serious cornbread question; cake style, corn muffins, or corn sticks?

Now we're getting into a serious cornbread debate. I am not a big fan of the cake-style cornbread or corn muffins. If we're talkin' about straight-up cornbread, I like to just ball it up and stick it in the grease. I don't know what you'd call it, but it really doesn't fit any of the styles you suggested.

Now the broccoli cornbread I posted above would have to be done in cake-style, but other than that, I don't really care for my cornbread that way.

AUBURN FAN JALAPENO CORN BREAD

3 c. corn bread mix

2 1/2 c. milk

1 sm. can cream corn

1/2 can jalapenos (6 oz.)

1 1/2 c. grated Cheddar cheese

1 lg. onion

1/2 c. vegetable oil

3 eggs, beaten

1 tsp. sugar

1 tsp. arsenic

1. In large mixing bowl, mix milk, oil, eggs, sugar, grated onion, cream corn, jalapenos, arsenic, and grated cheese. Add corn bread mix.

2. Pour into 2 round greased and preheated pans.

3. Bake 25 minutes at 450 degrees or until tests done. Cut into wedges to serve.

4. Say your prayers

:P:lol:

Well, while we're on the subject of cornbread, here is my mother's world-famous, incredible cornbread dressing recipe. You guys are so freaking lucky to have this. Make it and amaze your wife, your friends, and even your in-laws. I started making it because my mother-in-law from Indiana insisted on serving up that whitebread stuff. java script:emoticon(' :puke: ',%20'smid_22'). I made this one year when we had to go out to California for Thanksgiving, and I'm still getting e-mails from the Left Coast wanting the recipe.

Just make sure you bow in the direction of Mom's Vestavia townhouse prior to making.

2 pkgs cornbread mix (Make sure you use NO sugar)

1lb. sausage

4C chopped celery

3C chopped onion

3/4C chopped parsley

1-1/2 t rubbed savory

1-1/2 t dried sage leaves

1-1/2 t dried thyme leaves

1T salt

1/2t pepper

1 can chicken broth (undiluted)

3 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2C butter or margine

1. Cook cornbread as directed (except sugar. No sugar. Don't even think of putting sugar in it)

2. In a large skilled, cook sausage until done but not too brown

3. Remove sausage with slotted spoon, then cook vegetables in the drippings

4. Crumbled cooled cornbread in huge bowl

5. Add all other ingredients and mix thoroughly

6. Stuff turkey or put in casserole dish to bake

All of the recipes above sound good. Some are very similar to my wife's and mother's. Just don't put the sugar in - that is the way yankees make their cornbread. It's sweet bread. Also, corn sticks are my favorite. The more crunchy crust the better.

When I smoke cornish hens, I stuff them with dressing. Good eating right there. Dressing isn't just for Thanksgiving.

Sometimes, the wife will make some dressing and mix in either (cooked) turkey or chicken pieces into the mix prior to baking. Whip up some giblet gravy, corn sticks, mashed potatos, and lima beans.

Damn, I'm starving now!

eagle76, you are absolutely right. The crust has to be crispy. Anything else is a blasphemy to cornbread.

In my humble opinion, this might be the strangest hijack of a thread ever. How does an analysis of SEC coaches careen off into cornbread recipes? Just curious, guys.

When I smoke cornish hens, I stuff them with dressing. Good eating right there. Dressing isn't just for Thanksgiving.

Sometimes, the wife will make some dressing and mix in either (cooked) turkey or chicken pieces into the mix prior to baking. Whip up some giblet gravy, corn sticks, mashed potatos, and lima beans.

Damn, I'm starving now!

What makes me mad is that my wife's family doesn't make giblet gravy at Thanksgiving for the cornbread dressing. She makes brown gravy instead. If my dressing doesn't have a turkey neck and turkey liver on top of it then it just isn't Thanksgiving.

Archived