Ranking the SEC coaches...and share your favorite cornbread recipe!

BAMMERPERRY

Brown gravy? Ewwwwwwwwwww. Did you marry a Yankee, too?

And, for the record, my mother-in-law stuck my cast-iron skillet in the dishwasher last year. I guess she was trying to be helpful.

She's from Birmingham, of course I'm originally from Thomasville (AL not GA) so I tell her everybody north of Montgomery is a yankee and everyone north of Huntsville is a damn yankee. That really gets her good and p.o.ed.

Well then you know about The Delmar, and Greers.

I have eaten at the Delmar, never shopped at Greers. I do remember shopping at Bedsole's department store downtown as a kid, though.

how about Megginson's drugstore?

Nope, we went to Harco when I was a kid. Did used to shop at TG&Y which is like the homeless man's Wal-Mart. My dad always told me it stood for Toys, Girls, and Yo-yo's.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know where you can buy a good cast iron corn stick pan?

Bass pro shops or just google Lodge Cast Iron.

Here's one that looks like cacti

Here's one that looks like fish

Your local hardware store probably has them.

CLASSIC SPOON BREAD

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup white cornmeal

2 cups water

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup cold milk

2 large eggs, well beaten

2 tablespoons melted butter

PREPARATION:

In a large saucepan, combine cornmeal with 2 cups of water; add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring mixture to a boil then lower the heat; cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. The mixture will be very stiff. Remove from heat and slowly stir in 1 cup of cold milk. Stir in the beaten eggs and melted butter. Preheat oven to 400° and heat a greased 1 1/2 to 2-quart baking dish or 8-inch square baking dish. Pour the well blended batter into the hot baking dish; bake for about 40 minutes, or until firm in the middle and nicely browned. Serve hot, straight from the baking dish. This quantity provides 4 to 6 small servings; for more, double the recipe.

Wow, my memory was off on that one. I recall her making spoonbread, but I must have mixed up the memories of her chicken and dumplins with this. She would sometimes make spoon dumplins, where she would take a tablespoon full of dough and drop it into the pot of boiling chicken. She did something similar with her cornbread from time-to-time. She would measure out her cornmeal mixture by taking a kitchen spoon and getting out what would wind up being about a golfball sized lump and drop it into the skillet. She'd fry both sides until they were crispy. Turned out something like a small cornbread pancake, just thicker.

She always used Martha White cornmeal and Barbers buttermilk!

Barbers buttermilk!

I always liked Hall Brothers untill the cow went dry.

Don't recall that brand. It was either Barbers or Gold Medal out in my part of the woods.

Barbers buttermilk!

I always liked Hall Brothers untill the cow went dry.

Don't recall that brand. It was either Barbers or Gold Medal out in my part of the woods.

It was a local dairy around Montgomery that was out on 331 South.

I worked the loading dock of Baker and Sons Dairy in Birmingham for a brief while. I never drank so much milk in my life. They didn't give a crap about it either. As long as you got the trucks loaded, you could drink until you puked.

I worked the loading dock of Baker and Sons Dairy in Birmingham for a brief while. I never drank so much milk in my life. They didn't give a crap about it either. As long as you got the trucks loaded, you could drink until you puked.

I hope you weren't doing this in August.

"So hot! Milk was a poor choice!"

Wow, my memory was off on that one. I recall her making spoonbread, but I must have mixed up the memories of her chicken and dumplins with this. She would sometimes make spoon dumplins, where she would take a tablespoon full of dough and drop it into the pot of boiling chicken. She did something similar with her cornbread from time-to-time. She would measure out her cornmeal mixture by taking a kitchen spoon and getting out what would wind up being about a golfball sized lump and drop it into the skillet. She'd fry both sides until they were crispy. Turned out something like a small cornbread pancake, just thicker.

She always used Martha White cornmeal and Barbers buttermilk!

Doesn't sound too far from a Hush Puppy.

I'm probably going to have my manhood stripped for this one (please don't take my Johnny Depp poster!) but when it comes to cornbread it's got to be yellow and a little sweet. Cake style is good. Get a wedge of it, slice it open and put a healthy dose of butter inside. When that's good and melted, add a spoonful of grape jelly.

I don't know anybody else in the world that likes it that way, but grape-jelly cornbread is some awesome stuff.

I'm probably going to have my manhood stripped for this one (please don't take my Johnny Depp poster!) but when it comes to cornbread it's got to be yellow and a little sweet. Cake style is good. Get a wedge of it, slice it open and put a healthy dose of butter inside. When that's good and melted, add a spoonful of grape jelly.

I don't know anybody else in the world that likes it that way, but grape-jelly cornbread is some awesome stuff.

my wife's family is from louisiana and they all eat it that way. can't believe it. she uses regular old white milk when she makes it too. :puke: to each his own i guess.

Its gotta be martha white buttermilk cornbread mix made with leftover bacon or sausage fat and actual buttermilk for it to taste right to me. Seems like my maw-maw made it every time we were over there.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Cornbread...ain't nuttin' wrong with that!

And remember, no matter what the stripper says, there is no sex in the Champagne Room.

Not Cornbread but let me give you my Jambalaya recipe that I got online.

1 14 1/2 OZ Can Chicken Broth

2 Cups Instant rice

1 Can stewed Tomatoes

1 6 OZ Can tomato paste

1/2 LB. Pre cooked shrimp

1/2 LB. Smoked Andouille or spicy Cajun sausage

1/3 teaspoon Liquid Smoke

1/3 Bottle of "TRY ME" Shrimp and Lobster Sauce - (A RILEY FOOD'S PRODUCT, MADE IN NEW ORLEANS)

4 TO 6 Sliced green onions

Cook Sausage

Cook rice in chicken broth

Chop up tomatoes by running a knife through in the can

Combine all ingredients except green onions and heat to serving temperature

Top with green onions prior to serving.

I used to know a girl nicknamed "Grape Jelly". Boy, was she a dumb one.

How'd she spread on cornbread?

You had to put her in the blender and hit frapee first.

Is it considered polite to deusche afterward? Not sure about mixing the german bag with the french spin.

And, for the record, my mother-in-law stuck my cast-iron skillet in the dishwasher last year. I guess she was trying to be helpful.

She's from Birmingham, of course I'm originally from Thomasville (AL not GA) so I tell her everybody north of Montgomery is a yankee and everyone north of Huntsville is a damn yankee. That really gets her good and p.o.ed.

I have eaten at the Delmar, never shopped at Greers. I do remember shopping at Bedsole's department store downtown as a kid, though.

Nope, we went to Harco when I was a kid. Did used to shop at TG&Y which is like the homeless man's Wal-Mart. My dad always told me it stood for Toys, Girls, and Yo-yo's.

Hey man, I got in on this late. I grew up in Jackson (AL not MS). Mom used to shop at Greer's and we used to eat at Delmar's all the time(my grandpa's favorite place).

BTW, people (not me)used to shoplift from the TG&Y in Jackson so much they called it Take and Go Yonder.

Something I haven't had in a while, but I love it:

Broccoli Cornbread

INGREDIENTS:

2 boxes Jiffy corn muffin mix, or similar

4 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 sticks melted butter or margarine (6 ounces)

1 pkg. (10 oz) chopped broccoli, thawed and drained

1 medium onion, chopped

1 cup cottage cheese

PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients and pour into greased 9- X 13-inch baking dish. Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned.

MMMMM...mmmmm good.

Interesting. I'll try this one over the weekend.

Anyone know where you can buy a good cast iron corn stick pan?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...t=SearchResults

Hey man, I got in on this late. I grew up in Jackson (AL not MS). Mom used to shop at Greer's and we used to eat at Delmar's all the time(my grandpa's favorite place).

BTW, people (not me)used to shoplift from the TG&Y in Jackson so much they called it Take and Go Yonder.

Jackson is on my eternal crap list.

I got stopped there one spring break back in the stone age. Was driving my 65 Mustang with the windows down and ZZ Top cranking on my brand-new cassette player. I'd pulled out the 8-Track and replaced it with cassette about two weeks prior. Had a friend riding shotgun and another in the back seat. Was going to meet six other friends. We were supposed to be in two hotel rooms side-by side. Since I was one of the few of us at the time who had a job and a valid ID, I'd been assigned the task of transporting all the beverages when I came down. Collected the money from eight people, bought everything, loaded down the trunk and half of the backseat.

Well, my friend in the back helped himself to one of the cases. By the time we got to Jackson he was getting sleepy. So he moved some of the product around to get comfortable -- and put two cases in the back window. I've got my sunglasses on, ZZ Top (Eliminator) is rocking and I hammer through Jackson at about 65. Just past the Shell Station I get blue lighted.

The guy calls for backup. I'm out of the car, my friend in the front -- who thinks he's a lawyer -- won't get out because he keeps telling them they're not going to get him for public intoxication. They look in the back, open the trunk and then take half an hour pouring every can and bottle out on the side of the road. I figure they're done with me, but no. I have to get in the car and go downtown. So they let my wanna-be lawyer friend follow in the car. We get downtown and they start listing off the things I'm going to be busted for.

Carrying prohibited beverages into a dry county (transporting)

Carrying prohibited beverages into a dry county with the intent to sell (bootlegging). I had too much for personal use apparently.

Reckless driving

Something about delinquient minors (my sleepy friend was not of officially legal age).

DWI -- not me, but my wanna-be lawyer friend who was too smart to get out of the car but willingly drove.

As the day wears on we have a long discussion about my future and it's determined that between the three of us in my car there's about $450 in cash. As it turns out they'll reduce the charges to reckless driving and if I want to go ahead and pay the fine, court costs, fees etc, it will come to about $425. And I can walk out and continue on my spring break way. My sleepy friend doesn't want to part with his money. This leads to a near-fistfight with one of my best friends in the parking lot. He finally sees things my way. We pay the fine and go.

But now we're broke. We don't have enough to pay for our part of the hotel room. So we end up there with no drinks, all our money gone, and having to all cram into the one hotel room that was already paid for. Everybody there was pissed at us the whole time.

Despite a variety of errors on my part, I blame Jackson for that.

Is it considered polite to deusche afterward? Not sure about mixing the german bag with the french spin.

The word was douche, not Deutsche'.... :no:

That was funny. I had to work for it tho. ;)

The word was douche, not Deutsche'.... :no:

That was funny. I had to work for it tho. ;)

No, no, I was talking about the german variety referred to by 1234 during yesterday's swimming rant. I'm pretty sure Americans wouldn't douche after a frapee.

Jackson is on my eternal crap list.

I got stopped there one spring break back in the stone age. Was driving my 65 Mustang with the windows down and ZZ Top cranking on my brand-new cassette player. I'd pulled out the 8-Track and replaced it with cassette about two weeks prior. Had a friend riding shotgun and another in the back seat. Was going to meet six other friends. We were supposed to be in two hotel rooms side-by side. Since I was one of the few of us at the time who had a job and a valid ID, I'd been assigned the task of transporting all the beverages when I came down. Collected the money from eight people, bought everything, loaded down the trunk and half of the backseat.

Well, my friend in the back helped himself to one of the cases. By the time we got to Jackson he was getting sleepy. So he moved some of the product around to get comfortable -- and put two cases in the back window. I've got my sunglasses on, ZZ Top (Eliminator) is rocking and I hammer through Jackson at about 65. Just past the Shell Station I get blue lighted.

The guy calls for backup. I'm out of the car, my friend in the front -- who thinks he's a lawyer -- won't get out because he keeps telling them they're not going to get him for public intoxication. They look in the back, open the trunk and then take half an hour pouring every can and bottle out on the side of the road. I figure they're done with me, but no. I have to get in the car and go downtown. So they let my wanna-be lawyer friend follow in the car. We get downtown and they start listing off the things I'm going to be busted for.

Carrying prohibited beverages into a dry county (transporting)

Carrying prohibited beverages into a dry county with the intent to sell (bootlegging). I had too much for personal use apparently.

Reckless driving

Something about delinquient minors (my sleepy friend was not of officially legal age).

DWI -- not me, but my wanna-be lawyer friend who was too smart to get out of the car but willingly drove.

As the day wears on we have a long discussion about my future and it's determined that between the three of us in my car there's about $450 in cash. As it turns out they'll reduce the charges to reckless driving and if I want to go ahead and pay the fine, court costs, fees etc, it will come to about $425. And I can walk out and continue on my spring break way. My sleepy friend doesn't want to part with his money. This leads to a near-fistfight with one of my best friends in the parking lot. He finally sees things my way. We pay the fine and go.

But now we're broke. We don't have enough to pay for our part of the hotel room. So we end up there with no drinks, all our money gone, and having to all cram into the one hotel room that was already paid for. Everybody there was pissed at us the whole time.

Despite a variety of errors on my part, I blame Jackson for that.

I don't blame you at all, GG. Those cops were just as bad on us locals.

Archived