Ranking the SEC coaches...and share your favorite cornbread recipe!

BAMMERPERRY

Anyone know where you can buy a good cast iron corn stick pan?

Bass pro shops or just google Lodge Cast Iron.

Here's one that looks like cacti

Here's one that looks like fish

Good find! Never would have guessed Bass Pro Shop to be the place to find quality cookware.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know where you can buy a good cast iron corn stick pan?

Williams-Sonoma or online at maybe cooking.com or chef's catalog

When I smoke cornish hens, I stuff them with dressing. Good eating right there. Dressing isn't just for Thanksgiving.

Sometimes, the wife will make some dressing and mix in either (cooked) turkey or chicken pieces into the mix prior to baking. Whip up some giblet gravy, corn sticks, mashed potatos, and lima beans.

Damn, I'm starving now!

What makes me mad is that my wife's family doesn't make giblet gravy at Thanksgiving for the cornbread dressing. She makes brown gravy instead. If my dressing doesn't have a turkey neck and turkey liver on top of it then it just isn't Thanksgiving.

Brown gravy? Ewwwwwwwwwww. Did you marry a Yankee, too?

And, for the record, my mother-in-law stuck my cast-iron skillet in the dishwasher last year. I guess she was trying to be helpful.

Another cornbread concoction is the "Alabama milkshake." Any of you try this? Crumble 2-3 cornbread wedges, right out of the oven, into a cereal bowl and pour full fat buttermilk on top. Grab a spoon and pig out. Gotta be country to know this one.

And, for the record, my mother-in-law stuck my cast-iron skillet in the dishwasher last year. I guess she was trying to be helpful.

BLASPHEMER! I alomost have mine seasoned good now. Taken about 10 years but they are almost there.

I hope you at least threatened to beat her with it. :big:

Another cornbread concoction is the "Alabama milkshake." Any of you try this? Crumble 2-3 cornbread wedges, right out of the oven, into a cereal bowl and pour full fat buttermilk on top. Grab a spoon and pig out. Gotta be country to know this one.

I see we can eat at the same table!

I hope you at least threatened to beat her with it. :big:

I thought about it, trust me. But since we get to use their condo in Fort Myers every year, I decided to extend the circle of love and not beat her to death.

Bama Fan Special Cornbread

3 c. corn bread mix

2 1/2 c. milk (Jack Daniel's is an acceptable substitute)

1 sm. sack of Jarihuana's favorite

1 lg. onion chopped (watch for tears)

3/4 iron bowl mix (not sure what happened to the first quarter)

5 crimson eggs, thoroughly beaten until boredom sets in

1 tsp. sugar

1 packet extra sugar Crimson Kool-Aid

2 grams methamphetamine (bath tub brand....don't use the good stuff for this)

one twelve pack Schlitz (Falstaff is an acceptable substitute)

Mix all ingredients in a Pyrex dish. Make sure you've cleaned it if it's the same glassware you use to cook up your Tina. Use your Bunsen burner to heat thoroughly. Heat until golden brown. Avoid overheating or else you may have another bad fire like when your cousin had too much ether in the.....oh, nevermind, the Fire Marshal never could prove anything. Save for later this year. Excellent for post-Iron Bowl blues!

Now here's the serious cornbread question; cake style, corn muffins, or corn sticks?

Now we're getting into a serious cornbread debate. I am not a big fan of the cake-style cornbread or corn muffins. If we're talkin' about straight-up cornbread, I like to just ball it up and stick it in the grease. I don't know what you'd call it, but it really doesn't fit any of the styles you suggested.

Now the broccoli cornbread I posted above would have to be done in cake-style, but other than that, I don't really care for my cornbread that way.

My grandmother always referred to this as spoonbread.

You've got to be quick with the match or the paper gets too greasy to light.

Speaking of Cornish hens, here is a recipe that is very good and easy.

2 Cornish hens, cleaned and seasoned with salt & pepper

1 bag Mahatma Saffron Yellow Rice

1 can Cream of Celery Soup

1 can Cream of Chicken Soup

Grease baking dish with butter (margarine if you wish)

Clean hens and place in baking dish. Mix both cans of soup and rice with four cans water in mixing bowl. Pour rice & soup mixture around hens. Note do not put rice and soup in first, the rice will not cook well. Cook for 1 hour at 350.

My wife does something similar to this with porkchops from time-to-time. Soul food, brotha!

She's from Birmingham, of course I'm originally from Thomasville (AL not GA) so I tell her everybody north of Montgomery is a yankee and everyone north of Huntsville is a damn yankee. That really gets her good and p.o.ed.

My wife does something similar to this with porkchops from time-to-time. Soul food, brotha!

That's not soul food, that's comfort food.

Now here's the serious cornbread question; cake style, corn muffins, or corn sticks?

Now we're getting into a serious cornbread debate. I am not a big fan of the cake-style cornbread or corn muffins. If we're talkin' about straight-up cornbread, I like to just ball it up and stick it in the grease. I don't know what you'd call it, but it really doesn't fit any of the styles you suggested.

Now the broccoli cornbread I posted above would have to be done in cake-style, but other than that, I don't really care for my cornbread that way.

My grandmother always referred to this as spoonbread.

This sounds a lot like my favorite type of cornbread, which is what my Grandma makes. We call them hoecakes. They are small and thin (about the size of a silver dollar pancake, but not as thick), and are fried in a skillet. Very crusty and tasty.

We feel the need to joke about the name ("ho cake") almost every time we make them, but I think the name actually derives from the old days when the hoecakes were actually made by heating up the metal part of a hoe over an open flame to cook them.

This thread is making me hungry for some greens, peas and hoecake.

We feel the need to joke about the name ("ho cake") almost every time we make them, but I think the name actually derives from the old days when the hoecakes were actually made by heating up the metal part of a hoe over an open flame to cook them.

You are correct about the origin. African American slaves began calling them this.

You are correct about the origin. African American slaves began calling them this.

I recently read that corn bread can contribute significantly to global warming.

Wow, this is why I love this site....

BTW, mexican cornbread with cheese cubes of monterrey jack and mexican corn is to die for.

She's from Birmingham, of course I'm originally from Thomasville (AL not GA) so I tell her everybody north of Montgomery is a yankee and everyone north of Huntsville is a damn yankee. That really gets her good and p.o.ed.

Well then you know about The Delmar, and Greers.

I have eaten at the Delmar, never shopped at Greers. I do remember shopping at Bedsole's department store downtown as a kid, though.

I have eaten at the Delmar, never shopped at Greers. I do remember shopping at Bedsole's department store downtown as a kid, though.

how about Megginson's drugstore?

Archived