LSU spring game

TMAN34

i go to auburn but am from the baton rouge area...so i went to the spring game with my friends. I was not very impressed. I know perriloux from one of my rival high schools and he just doesn't have the mindset. He had one good play that stuck out in my mind. The receivers dropped many many balls, however doucet looked very good. There *star* player holliday only had i think 2 touches and this is for a guy they said they were going to get a lot more touches this year (also had 3 or more drops)...he's too little i feel. The defense looked pretty passive. The most impressive thing to me was the o-line...the rb's were consistently picking up 4-5 yards per carry. This will be a great team no doubt...b/c it's only spring, however they do not look like a national championship top team. We always have our hands full in death valley, but this may be the year we win by more than 1-4 points

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that you are going to see the Fall of Les Miles. He inherited a team that should have won 2 consecutive MNC's. This team has holes and Auburn this year will tear them down, expect a 42 14 win. Bama with saban at the helm may also beat them this year. Miles is overated and I can't wait till Fall.

BEATDOWN COMING

I tend to agree BZ.

I don't think LSU will "fall" so to say where they struggle to be at .500 but I do think this will be a significant step down.

And I think everyone here has seen me pick LSU to win the West 2 of the last 3 years on here.

I tend to agree BZ.

I don't think LSU will "fall" so to say where they struggle to be at .500 but I do think this will be a significant step down.

And I think everyone here has seen me pick LSU to win the West 2 of the last 3 years on here.

LSwho will go on to be picked 1st in the West again this year with I'm sure probably Arkansas and then Auburn. I think LSwho will stumble early but rebound slightly before the Auburn game where we stand a great chance to lay it to em in Baton Rouge.

LSwho will end up with at least 3 losses this year, but I certainly don't think they'll lose to Bammer.

Ryan

I was at the LSU spring game as well. Just to fill you in....it's ALWAYS a ho-hum game. First of all, we run about 10 different plays over and over again. QB and special team returns are down on 1-hand touch. The teams were not split up where the 1s played the 2s, we had 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers in a lot on both sides. At least 4 starters that I can think of did not play, including Glen Dorsey and Ali Highsmith. We obviously didn't have anyone (except Barksdale) from our highly rated incoming class, some of whom will contribute immediately.

Anyway....my point is that it was a watered down game where you saw quarterbacks just trying to work on timing w/ receivers on short routes and a bunch of runs up the middle. We still have some things to work on, but it's not like we ever had a spring game where Jamarcus was launching 60 yard bombs all over the field. We've had many great seasons lately that were all preceded by a lackluster spring game. I can promise you 2 things, however. Don't count on this being the year where you expect to see "the fall of Les Miles" as you put it. And also, we will have another double digit win season led by our defense (which will be near the top of the league) and a great running game balanced w/ solid passing. All I'm trying to say is that LSU fans can't get too "up" from a good spring game and opposing fans shouldn't get too "up" from a mediocre LSU spring game.

I wouldn't be too cocky if I were an AU fan, 'cause a lot of the national experts sure don't think this is the year Auburn comes in and beats LSU in Death Valley, much less by more than 4 points. And for the comment about Perillioux.....you know you'd take him over Auburn's back-up QB.

I was at the LSU spring game as well. Just to fill you in....it's ALWAYS a ho-hum game. First of all, we run about 10 different plays over and over again. QB and special team returns are down on 1-hand touch. The teams were not split up where the 1s played the 2s, we had 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers in a lot on both sides. At least 4 starters that I can think of did not play, including Glen Dorsey and Ali Highsmith. We obviously didn't have anyone (except Barksdale) from our highly rated incoming class, some of whom will contribute immediately.

Anyway....my point is that it was a watered down game where you saw quarterbacks just trying to work on timing w/ receivers on short routes and a bunch of runs up the middle. We still have some things to work on, but it's not like we ever had a spring game where Jamarcus was launching 60 yard bombs all over the field. We've had many great seasons lately that were all preceded by a lackluster spring game. I can promise you 2 things, however. Don't count on this being the year where you expect to see "the fall of Les Miles" as you put it. And also, we will have another double digit win season led by our defense (which will be near the top of the league) and a great running game balanced w/ solid passing. All I'm trying to say is that LSU fans can't get too "up" from a good spring game and opposing fans shouldn't get too "up" from a mediocre LSU spring game.

I wouldn't be too cocky if I were an AU fan, 'cause a lot of the national experts sure don't think this is the year Auburn comes in and beats LSU in Death Valley, much less by more than 4 points. And for the comment about Perillioux.....you know you'd take him over Auburn's back-up QB.

You've been hitting the :lsu: kool aid too much!

And CLM is one of the worst coaches in the :sec: he barely rates above the leaders of the Mississippi schools. :lol:

LSU = ND ;)

I tend to agree with our rival here...not sure why you guys think that LSU is going to have a big fall off. I agree Miles s not the best coach in the world, but do you think he has less talent this year than he did the previous 2 seasons? They have had a top recruiting class every year he has been there. Perillioux was ALL WORLD coming out of high school and he is their back up. He has been there for 2 years learning the system and will be an adequate QB if the starter goes down. Can Auburn say the same thing?

Also, scoring 40+ points on LSU??? Seriously???

And CLM is one of the worst coaches in the :sec: he barely rates above the leaders of the Mississippi schools. :lol:

LSU greater than ND ;)

fixed it for you

I wouldn't be too cocky if I were an AU fan, 'cause a lot of the national experts sure don't think this is the year Auburn comes in and beats LSU in Death Valley, much less by more than 4 points.

Nothing could matter less in determining the outcome of a college football game than a "national experts" opinion.

LSU greater than ND ;)

fixed it for you

Alright, the LSWho = ND, comparison was meant as they are both overrated. I will give :lsu: credit for the thumping they gave ND in the Sugar Bowl, that was sweet.

Still think that with all of the coaching changes in Baton Rouge your looking at a three loss season. :big:

LSU greater than ND ;)

fixed it for you

Alright, the LSWho = ND, comparison was meant as they are both overrated. I will give :lsu: credit for the thumping they gave ND in the Sugar Bowl, that was sweet.

Still think that with all of the coaching changes in Baton Rouge your looking at a three loss season. :big:

we shall see :poke:

Don't expect to see much in a spring game. A spring game is more like a "check up" than a time to show off anything extraordinary.

Basic vanilla plays, and very little emotion is the norm for most SEC schools in a spring game.

LSU will be pretty good this year, but I too expect to see a less-than-stellar performance from Les Miles. I have predicted since his first home SEC game that this would happen. Ever since he came out in Baton Rouge at night with his "Old Navy" headset so that he looked prettier on TV, and then had to replace it for the standard Motorola coach's headset that everybody else uses. He had no idea what he was doing then, and he still doesn't.

I agree with your opinion on spring games, but that's it. Auburn will be a better football team in 07' than we were in 06'. We red shirted all but two from the 06' class and it probably hurt us last year. LSU on the other hand will not be. You lose JR and DB and Flynn's only start was against a very overrated Miami team. I don't know of many teams that have won the SEC with a first year starter. LSU has a ton of holes to fill......

Stop it, stop it! You're scaring me. <_<

LSU will be pretty good this year, but I too expect to see a less-than-stellar performance from Les Miles. I have predicted since his first home SEC game that this would happen. Ever since he came out in Baton Rouge at night with his "Old Navy" headset so that he looked prettier on TV, and then had to replace it for the standard Motorola coach's headset that everybody else uses. He had no idea what he was doing then, and he still doesn't.

Serious question - how many good seasons does Miles have to have before people stop singing this song? Exactly the same thing has been said for two years now. What if Miles wins 10 or 11 games again this year, will you still expect him to blow it in 2008? You can't make the "Saban's talent" argument anymore. Besides, it wasn't a real good argument to begin with. As someone already pointed out, Miles has recruited every bit as well as Saban did. The class he just signed is actually better than any Saban ever brought in (of course its all on paper, and there are always plenty of surprises, but I'm talking averages here). So there's no reason to think that "Miles's talent" isn't every bit as good as "Saban's talent." Even if he's a terrible coach (I don't think he is, but I'll accept it for purposes of this argument), if he's been winning so far - allegedly on talent alone - why should he suddenly start losing?

Of course I don't KNOW how LSU will do next year - nobody can predict the future - but if you're prognosticating you can't objectively expect us to be worse than last year. The defense should actually be better, and it was already pretty much the best. (Miles-haters should note, by the way, that there's been no defensive drop off since Saban, the defensive guru, left town). The offense is less certain, but there's no reason to expect it to be bad and, like I said, LSU will win with defense. Now factor in the schedule. Last year LSU played at Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Arkansas, and still managed to go 11-2. This year, all those games are at home, and Tennessee is replaced with South Carolina. The road games are Miss. St., Kentucky, Bama, and Ole Miss.

So I'm really asking, how do you logically predict a worse season for LSU?

Serious question - how many good seasons does Miles have to have before people stop singing this song? Exactly the same thing has been said for two years now. What if Miles wins 10 or 11 games again this year, will you still expect him to blow it in 2008? You can't make the "Saban's talent" argument anymore. Besides, it wasn't a real good argument to begin with. As someone already pointed out, Miles has recruited every bit as well as Saban did. The class he just signed is actually better than any Saban ever brought in (of course its all on paper, and there are always plenty of surprises, but I'm talking averages here). So there's no reason to think that "Miles's talent" isn't every bit as good as "Saban's talent." Even if he's a terrible coach (I don't think he is, but I'll accept it for purposes of this argument), if he's been winning so far - allegedly on talent alone - why should he suddenly start losing?

Of course I don't KNOW how LSU will do next year - nobody can predict the future - but if you're prognosticating you can't objectively expect us to be worse than last year. The defense should actually be better, and it was already pretty much the best. (Miles-haters should note, by the way, that there's been no defensive drop off since Saban, the defensive guru, left town). The offense is less certain, but there's no reason to expect it to be bad and, like I said, LSU will win with defense. Now factor in the schedule. Last year LSU played at Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, and Arkansas, and still managed to go 11-2. This year, all those games are at home, and Tennessee is replaced with South Carolina. The road games are Miss. St., Kentucky, Bama, and Ole Miss.

So I'm really asking, how do you logically predict a worse season for LSU?

First of all this is the wrong tigers fan board. :poke:

Second, what's with all of the LSWho fans on here? :blink:

Third, I logically predict a worse season because of your coaching changes, how can you not?

Third, I logically predict a worse season because of your coaching changes, how can you not?

The post was about the LSU Spring Game, so I'm not exactly raiding your board.

Jimbo Fisher and O-line coach Stacy Searles are the two coaches that left. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you, now that he's gone, that Fisher wasn't a good coach. However, I have always said, during the many years he was at LSU, that he was not exceptional and certainly not irreplacable. Fisher was well liked, and I'm not ripping on him, but you didn't hear a lot of wailing when he left. Most LSU fans thought Fisher was pretty conservative and are excited about Gary Crowton and what he brings to the table.

I think Searles was a really good coach and losing him hurts. But let's be honest, how much do you really factor the O-line coach into your pre-season predictions? Sure, he's an important piece of the puzzle, but your O-line coach isn't likely to make or break a season.

The main point, though, as I said in my first post, is that a high octane offense is not going to be the strength of this team. I expect LSU to run well, with a lot of good backs and a solid line, and then shut people down on defense. The gameplan is not to bomb it down the field and put up 40 points. So changes on the offensive coaching staff are not, in my opinion, a good reason to predict failure.

But let's be honest, how much do you really factor the O-line coach into your pre-season predictions? Sure, he's an important piece of the puzzle, but your O-line coach isn't likely to make or break a season.

Don't ever say this to an Auburn fan. See '03.

The post was about the LSU Spring Game, so I'm not exactly raiding your board.

Jimbo Fisher and O-line coach Stacy Searles are the two coaches that left. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you, now that he's gone, that Fisher wasn't a good coach. However, I have always said, during the many years he was at LSU, that he was not exceptional and certainly not irreplacable. Fisher was well liked, and I'm not ripping on him, but you didn't hear a lot of wailing when he left. Most LSU fans thought Fisher was pretty conservative and are excited about Gary Crowton and what he brings to the table.

I think Searles was a really good coach and losing him hurts. But let's be honest, how much do you really factor the O-line coach into your pre-season predictions? Sure, he's an important piece of the puzzle, but your O-line coach isn't likely to make or break a season.

The main point, though, as I said in my first post, is that a high octane offense is not going to be the strength of this team. I expect LSU to run well, with a lot of good backs and a solid line, and then shut people down on defense. The gameplan is not to bomb it down the field and put up 40 points. So changes on the offensive coaching staff are not, in my opinion, a good reason to predict failure.

Ok, ok. Let's agree to disagree on this. Either way, I look forward to the :au: vs :lsu: game every year. IMO it has became a bigger rivalry than the :ua: game for us. Maybe it's because beating :ua: has just became to easy or expected. :big: The battle of the tigers from the west has turned out to be one hard hitting affair. That's the game that shows the rest of the nation what real :sec: football is.

WDE!!

I wouldn't be too cocky if I were an AU fan, 'cause a lot of the national experts sure don't think this is the year Auburn comes in and beats LSU in Death Valley, much less by more than 4 points.

Nothing could matter less in determining the outcome of a college football game than a "national experts" opinion.

Yeah, Florida still beat us, according to them.... :lol:

:au::homer:

Post deleted due to use of unnecessary profanity. Don't drop the F-bomb by adding one letter and think that is somehow okay.

You sure do seem to be ill for it to just be a (CLM favorite word) spring game.

:poke:

Post deleted due to use of unnecessary profanity. Don't drop the F-bomb by adding one letter and think that is somehow okay.

You sure do seem to be ill for it to just be a (CLM favorite word) spring game.

:poke:

I'm just frustrated at ya'lls biased predictions. Wasn't Auburn ranked very higly in 03 and went 7-5? I'm sure all you guys thought he was a great coach then. :rolleyes: C'mon now, 42-14? That's a ludacris prediction considering LSU's getting back 8 starters on defense back and it's going to be at death valley. You'll be incredibly lucky to put 42 on us.

But let's be honest, how much do you really factor the O-line coach into your pre-season predictions? Sure, he's an important piece of the puzzle, but your O-line coach isn't likely to make or break a season.

This was because we promoted an OL coach to OC...apples to oranges comparison.

This was because we promoted an OL coach to OC.

Do ya think, sparky?

Archived