LSU spring game

TMAN34

Post deleted due to use of unnecessary profanity. Don't drop the F-bomb by adding one letter and think that is somehow okay.

You sure do seem to be ill for it to just be a (CLM favorite word) spring game.

:poke:

I'm just frustrated at ya'lls biased predictions. Wasn't Auburn ranked very higly in 03 and went 7-5? I'm sure all you guys thought he was a great coach then. :rolleyes: C'mon now, 42-14? That's a ludacris prediction considering LSU's getting back 8 starters on defense back and it's going to be at death valley. You'll be incredibly lucky to put 42 on us.

Not to say I agree with the 42-14 prediction, because I thing beating any SEC team by that much is highly unlikely however with concearns to the fact that you dont like our biased predictions you might want to consider that you are on an AUBURN Tiger Board....you know the real Tigers of the SEC ;)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a few things:

1) that score prediction couldn't be more sillier. it couldn't. so don't get worked up about it because you, i, and every other person that's actually watched football over the last 5 years knows better. 28 points. please. when lsu won the national title and auburn was busy stinking out the joint (routinely), we held it to 24. that's a joke.

2) the ol coach is really important if you're auburn this year, replacing 4 starters. i don't know what lsu's situation is, but if it's like our's and you've lost most of the line, you'd better figure that part of the staff change into it. it'll take longer to get the details down and leave you open to getting beat early against a good defensive team... like sept. 8 against vatech

3) miles is a good coach. i hate to burst bubbles here, but it's true. lsu's offense has certainly shifted to a finesse offense, but the defense has maintained (credit to miles for putting together a solid defensive staff), the offense hasn't fallen off, and he coached through the biggest disaster in america during his first year. the guy's gotten it done down there. win 'em all or lose four, he's still a good coach. this year won't change that.

4) i wouldn't want perrileauser. he was a complete jacka coming out of high school, the kind of loud mouth i don't want around auburn's team. i'd rather take my chances with elite 11 caudle, ensminger's big arm, or kodi burns' legs/arm than the loudest benchwarmer in history.

5) lsu's schedule is tasty. seriously, there isn't an away game in sight that they shouldn't be favored by 2 touchdowns in. playing vatech, auburn, florida, arkansas, and spurrier is going to make it tough to win all of them, but they could make a run at a cheap 2003/2006-style title.

a few things:

1) that score prediction couldn't be more sillier. it couldn't. so don't get worked up about it because you, i, and every other person that's actually watched football over the last 5 years knows better. 28 points. please. when lsu won the national title and auburn was busy stinking out the joint (routinely), we held it to 24. that's a joke.

2) the ol coach is really important if you're auburn this year, replacing 4 starters. i don't know what lsu's situation is, but if it's like our's and you've lost most of the line, you'd better figure that part of the staff change into it. it'll take longer to get the details down and leave you open to getting beat early against a good defensive team... like sept. 8 against vatech

3) miles is a good coach. i hate to burst bubbles here, but it's true. lsu's offense has certainly shifted to a finesse offense, but the defense has maintained (credit to miles for putting together a solid defensive staff), the offense hasn't fallen off, and he coached through the biggest disaster in america during his first year. the guy's gotten it done down there. win 'em all or lose four, he's still a good coach. this year won't change that.

4) i wouldn't want perrileauser. he was a complete jacka coming out of high school, the kind of loud mouth i don't want around auburn's team. i'd rather take my chances with elite 11 caudle, ensminger's big arm, or kodi burns' legs/arm than the loudest benchwarmer in history.

5) lsu's schedule is tasty. seriously, there isn't an away game in sight that they shouldn't be favored by 2 touchdowns in. playing vatech, auburn, florida, arkansas, and spurrier is going to make it tough to win all of them, but they could make a run at a cheap 2003/2006-style title.

Disagree with #3 and #5. Miles isn't all that as a coach, He's Gerry DiNardo with better assistants and a funnier hat. The assistants are leaving. Unfortunately the hat is not. For that reason I disagree with the last phrase of #5.

We always have our hands full in death valley, but this may be the year we win by more than 1-4 points

Miles is a far better coach than some here want to give credit, but his SEC won-loss record speaks for itself. Having good players is one thing, coaching them up on gameday is another , and Miles has shown that he can hold his own among the best collection of HC's of any national conference. With the exception of his gaffe in the '05 Tennessee game, he has performed very well and it's naive to believe otherwise. He doesn't have the polish of a Meyer, the media-savvy of a Spurrier, or the reputation of Nick Saban ..... but the man knows how to coach a football program.

And BTW, Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge is only considered to be "Death Valley" when it is a night game, the rest of the time, it's just a myth. I dunno whether AU will win this season, but provided we stay healthy, we certainly are capable of taking LSU to the 'shed.

travsackLSU.jpg

We always have our hands full in death valley, but this may be the year we win by more than 1-4 points

Miles is a far better coach than some here want to give credit, but his SEC won-loss record speaks for itself. Having good players is one thing, coaching them up on gameday is another , and Miles has shown that he can hold his own among the best collection of HC's of any national conference. With the exception of his gaffe in the '05 Tennessee game, he has performed very well and it's naive to believe otherwise. He doesn't have the polish of a Meyer, the media-savvy of a Spurrier, or the reputation of Nick Saban ..... but the man knows how to coach a football program.

How's he done against the better coaches in the league?

Tuberville 1-1 (with his 1 being a wind-aided 5-FG missed, OT win at home)

Meyer 1-1

Fulmer 1-1

Richt 0-1

Nutt 2-0 (won 19-17 and 31-26).

I'm not ready to put him on a pedestal just yet. You give Mike Shula, Doug Barfield or Gerry Faust the LSU program Miles inherited and they're going to beat MSU, Tulane, North Texas, Vandy, Appy State, Ole Miss, ASU, Louisiana-Lafayette, 'Zona, Alabama and Kentucky. What's naive is to put this guy on par with the better SEC coaches when every single LSU fan in the world will tell you that no team in the nation has as much talent as LSU. Their fourth string waterboy would be the starting QB at any other school.

I'm not convinced. If AU was searching for a head coach, Miles is certainly, definitely and unequivocally a name I would not want in the mix.

And BTW, Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge is only considered to be "Death Valley" when it is a night game, the rest of the time, it's just a myth. I dunno whether AU will win this season, but provided we stay healthy, we certainly are capable of taking LSU to the 'shed.

travsackLSU.jpg

Finally, someone who's realized you can't go 22-4 in the SEC solely off of talent.

Meyer 1-1

Fulmer 1-1

Richt 0-1

I'm not ready to put him on a pedestal just yet. You give Mike Shula, Doug Barfield or Gerry Faust the LSU program Miles inherited and they're going to beat MSU, Tulane, North Texas, Vandy, Appy State, Ole Miss, ASU, Louisiana-Lafayette, 'Zona, Alabama and Kentucky. What's naive is to put this guy on par with the better SEC coaches when every single LSU fan in the world will tell you that no team in the nation has as much talent as LSU. Their fourth string waterboy would be the starting QB at any other school.

I'm not convinced. If AU was searching for a head coach, Miles is certainly, definitely and unequivocally a name I would not want in the mix.

GG, killin' it today.

Folks, this here is your basic schooling. You guys tried to serve GG, but he served you back. Now it's on.

Meyer 1-1

Fulmer 1-1

Richt 0-1

Throw in the hat and the headset and you got the makings of a short bus rider.

Meyer 1-1

Fulmer 1-1

Richt 0-1

Throw in the hat and the headset and you got the makings of a short bus rider.

Mouth-breather.

Meyer 1-1

Fulmer 1-1

Richt 0-1

GG, killin' it today.

Folks, this here is your basic schooling. You guys tried to serve GG, but he served you back. Now it's on.

Don't bring up the 5 missed field goals bull. LSU dropped 2 easy td's. So what? He's 2-0 versus Nutt, who cares about the score. You guys lost to them at HOME. We beat them on the road. What's your point going over his record? You act like Tubby's never been outcoached and could have lead last years team to the NC despite playing Auburn,UF,Arkansas, and Tennessee on the road and beat each team by 20+ points. Wasn't Auburn a preseason #1 in many polls in 03? How did that season go? Did Tubby outcoach every team or was he outcoached many times that year? No coach is perfect, and if Miles is considered a 'terrible' coach despite going 22-4, then I like bad coaches. :) Oh, and our talents not going anywhere.

Meyer 1-1

Fulmer 1-1

Richt 0-1

GG, killin' it today.

Don't bring up the 5 missed field goals bull. LSU dropped 2 easy td's. So what? He's 2-0 versus Nutt, who cares about the score. You guys lost to them at HOME. We beat them on the road. What's your point going over his record? You act like Tubby's never been outcoached and could have lead last years team to the NC despite playing Auburn,UF,Arkansas, and Tennessee on the road and beat each team by 20+ points. Wasn't Auburn a preseason #1 in many polls in 03? How did that season go? Did Tubby outcoach every team or was he outcoached many times that year? No coach is perfect, and if Miles is considered a 'terrible' coach despite going 22-4, then I like bad coaches. :) Oh, and our talents not going anywhere.

Hey pal, I'm going to need you try this again in English: right to left, group words into sentences, take aspirin for any headaches and midol for cramps.

i see very little schoolin' being administered in GG's post. On the contrary, I see him list CLM's record and then turn around and say it's not "on par." In fact, it's exactly on par since par is a neutral/even score.

BTW, with the exception of a few Who Koolaid drinkers, nobody else is putting him on a pedestal either ......., merely stating that he has "held his own," which GG has shown quite well that CLM has. Not saying he'd be my choice as Auburn's HC, but I'd sure as hell select him before one of Galen's Greats (Faust, Barfield, or Shula) ;)

ctaylor06lsu.jpg

I HAVE ONE THING TO SAY............

10-7! Until October................. 10-7! ;)

i see very little schoolin' being administered in GG's post. On the contrary, I see him list CLM's record and then turn around and say it's not "on par." In fact, it's exactly on par since par is a neutral/even score.

You left out the nod to the nearly universal assertion as to the talent level at LSU. If there is that much talent at LSU, and if Miles is as good as billed, then those results should be above par.

Essentially: LSU talent + Miles = middle of the road against the big boys.

SO.....either the talent isn't as good as billed, or Lester isn't as good as billed.

I know, lol I really get into it and I really don't know what I'm saying. All I got to say is, your going to be VERY disapointed if you expect a beatdown. See you guys in Baton Rouge.

I never expect a beatdown of LSU....lately at least.

LSU and Auburn have fielded the most consistently superior teams in the SEC over the last 5 years. No reason to believe the 07 edition won't be another nail-biter.

All of the top SEC teams have lost key starters from 2006 (LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, and Georgia included). However, I think LSU and Arkansas return the most starters.

LSU has to replace its QB-WR connection and some leaders in secondary, however, LSU has backups with game experience (Flynn, Doucet, etc). They also have some serious weapons returning (Dorsey, Williams, Highsmith, and a solid OL). LSU should be able to run the ball effectively and play solid defense.

Auburn has to replace 80% of the OL, kicking game, its leading WR, its top CB, and most of the LB corp. After completion of spring practice, Auburn's OL is at best average at this point, the kicking game is poor, the receivers are improving but still average, and the secondary and LBs are still major question marks. Auburn's strengths are QB (as long as Cox stays healthy and mobile), RB, and DL. If the OL struggles, it won't matter who is taking the snap, carrying the ball, or calling the plays (see first half of 2003). I don't see the secondary being lock-down, but the defense should be good enough to put the offense in a position to win all of Auburn's games. Whether the OL and the kicing game come around are huge unknowns, and there won't be any answers until September.

Auburn has one of the best coaching staffs currently in college football. LSU is maybe a little behind but not by much. Auburn is good at winning close games, but nearly every season they just don't show up for one game for whatever reason.

Auburn is improving steadily overall. The program is Top15 and Tuberville is positioning the team for a Top10 finish annually. Auburn will win a NC under Tuberville eventually, however, there are an awful lot of question marks for it to happen in 2007. Achieving a winning SEC record is a more realistic goal.

In 2009, Auburn will have Codi Burns (or Caudle or Ensminger), Ben Tate, and Enrique Davis in the backfield. The OL will be senior-laden and solid. The defense will be led by Tray Blackmon (hopefully), Craig Stevens, Josh Bynes, Michael McNeil, and a solid DL. The kickers will be experienced.

Unfortunately, the youngsters will have to take some lumps this season in order to be dominant later on. Auburn's four road games would be a steep challenge for the 2004 team, let alone a team as young as the one Auburn will field in 2007. With LSU's favorable schedule, talent, and experience, they are the SEC West leaders, for now.

But a lot can change between now and October 20, 2007.

You left out the nod to the nearly universal assertion as to the talent level at LSU. If there is that much talent at LSU, and if Miles is as good as billed, then those results should be above par.

SO.....either the talent isn't as good as billed, or Lester isn't as good as billed.

I think this is a generally well-argued, civil thread, and should stay that way. Most here acknowledge that both LSU and Auburn are to be respected, and I think most would admit that, on paper, LSU looks to be the SEC West favorite this year.

But I have to respond to one point, made in the quote above and elsewhere. Calling Miles "middle of the road against the big boys" is some pretty suspect reasoning. Name a coach with a better record against the "big boys" than Miles? Point being - NOBODY is better than "middle of the road" against the coaches mentioned. I mean, he's 22-4. Unless you coach in the Pac-10, you can't be considered an underachiever with that record.

This is essentially the same argument (which I think someone actually made earlier in this thread) as the one that says Miles "should" have won a national championship or two by now. You can't seriously make an argument that any D-1 football coach "should" take a given team to a national championship. There's just too much outside of a head coaches (or anyone's) control to seriously make that claim. Auburn ought to know - better than anybody else - that you have to be both good and lucky to win it all. Sometimes you do everything you possibly can - even go undefeated - and still don't win a national championship, simply b/c you got hosed. You were unlucky.

So, my point is, nobody can reasonably expect better than 22-4. I would also note that the SEC has been stronger in the last few years than its ever been. So, any attempt to knock Miles's record is pretty much a stretch.

Like I said, I think this is a good thread with good opinions, just wanted to harp on that one thing.

But I have to respond to one point, made in the quote above and elsewhere. Calling Miles "middle of the road against the big boys" is some pretty suspect reasoning. Name a coach with a better record against the "big boys" than Miles? Point being - NOBODY is better than "middle of the road" against the coaches mentioned. I mean, he's 22-4. Unless you coach in the Pac-10, you can't be considered an underachiever with that record.

You contradict yourself. Miles is without question "middle of the road" against the big boys (as you put it). Citing his 22-4 record is a clever attempt at misdirection when we've already established that he's hit or miss wth the big boys, including some close scrape wins.

I think this is a generally well-argued, civil thread, and should stay that way. Most here acknowledge that both LSU and Auburn are to be respected, and I think most would admit that, on paper, LSU looks to be the SEC West favorite this year.

This is essentially the same argument (which I think someone actually made earlier in this thread) as the one that says Miles "should" have won a national championship or two by now. You can't seriously make an argument that any D-1 football coach "should" take a given team to a national championship. There's just too much outside of a head coaches (or anyone's) control to seriously make that claim. Auburn ought to know - better than anybody else - that you have to be both good and lucky to win it all. Sometimes you do everything you possibly can - even go undefeated - and still don't win a national championship, simply b/c you got hosed. You were unlucky.

So, my point is, nobody can reasonably expect better than 22-4. I would also note that the SEC has been stronger in the last few years than its ever been. So, any attempt to knock Miles's record is pretty much a stretch.

Like I said, I think this is a good thread with good opinions, just wanted to harp on that one thing.

That 22-4 includes alot of non "big boys". I was using the meyer/tubs/richt numbers in Galen's post.

Maybe my 42-14 prediction was a bit high but remember

In 2002 we won 31-7 and in 2003 they won 31-7

Then we started the 1-2 point spreads.

Expect the blowouts to start once again.

Maybe my 42-14 prediction was a bit high but remember

In 2002 we won 31-7 and in 2003 they won 31-7

Then we started the 1-2 point spreads.

Expect the blowouts to start once again.

These two defenses and the west riding on it every year, i doubt it.........

So, my point is, nobody can reasonably expect better than 22-4.

With the talent LSU has had the last two years, expecting an SEC Title isnt that unreasonable.

You contradict yourself. Miles is without question "middle of the road" against the big boys (as you put it). Citing his 22-4 record is a clever attempt at misdirection when we've already established that he's hit or miss wth the big boys, including some close scrape wins.

Let me try to clarify - for startes, wesfau coined the term "middle of the road against the big boys" to describe Miles, not me. In doing so, I understood him to basically be summarizing the point you were trying to make when you posted the stats about Miles's record.

In any case, the wording doesn't matter. My point is, you cited those stats as support that he's an average coach. That's misleading b/c an average record against Tuberville, Richt, Fulmer, and Nutt doesn't mean you're not a really good coach.

Which brings me back to 22-4. Citing that overall record is not "misdirection." Its a demonstration that you're cherry-picking stats to try and make a guy who has won EIGHTY-FIVE PERCENT of his games look average.

Archived