LSU spring game

TMAN34

More importantly, you really need to let go of the SEC title thing. You're like a broken record in this thread.

Of course you want me to let go of it. Miles has yet to ever win a single SEC Title yet we are expected to proclaim him a great coach.

No, Miles has not won an SEC championship in either of the last two years. He has, however, won a Sugar Bowl during that span - which is more than I can say for your boy Richt.

Richt has won a Sugar Bowl as well...in fact, he has been to 2...how many has Miles been to?

Hell, Richt has won 2 SEC Titles and been to a 3rd...how many has Miles won or been to?

Hell, who won the H-2-H matchup?

Do you really want to compare the two when Richt has owned Miles already?

In the last two years, Mark Richt - almighty winner of an SEC Championship - has gone 19-7.

Awww.....what's wrong? Still mad over the ass-whipping we gave you in the SEC Title game?

This is like arguing with a 2 year old. Richt is 1 and 0 against Les Miles. If you think a single game sample constitutes "owning" somebody, I just can't help you.

Beat Vandy this year and maybe we'll talk some more.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, Miles has not won an SEC championship in either of the last two years. He has, however, won a Sugar Bowl during that span - which is more than I can say for your boy Richt.

Richt has won a Sugar Bowl as well...in fact, he has been to 2...how many has Miles been to?

Hell, Richt has won 2 SEC Titles and been to a 3rd...how many has Miles won or been to?

Hell, who won the H-2-H matchup?

Do you really want to compare the two when Richt has owned Miles already?

Southlink, I normally like your post and value most of your opinions, but this is a VERY VERY weak arguement. How many seasons has Richt been at Georgia? and he has 2 Sugar Bowl appearances? I'll take the 50% success rate of Miles if your going to throw up that arguement....its stupid to try to compare the 2 at this point in Miles career at LSU. No one is saying Richt is a bad coach, its ya'll that are "somehow" with no valid evidence that Miles is not good....we are just doing the same things you would do to defend our coach.

Honestly Southlink, if UGA was in the exact same postion as LSU and a great coach left and another came in and put up 2 consectutive 11-2 seasons with 2 bowl blowouts, something that even the great coach that left couldn't do in back to back seasons and people said UGA was on a delcline and that the new coach wasnt that good..........don't tell me you wouldn't laugh in thier face!

As usual, no response to the facts. Miles has yet to win a single conference title his entire coaching career.

Here is an idea. Win just one and then we can talk about your coach being one of the SEC's best

Until then, he won't get any respect from a lot of the country

As usual, no response to the facts. Miles has yet to win a single conference title his entire coaching career.

Here is an idea. Win just one and then we can talk about your coach being good.

Until then, he won't get any respect from a lot of the country

Him winning a conference title at OSU is like asking Ole Miss to win a title in the SEC.....it aint gonna happen.

Southlink:

Your logic is a bit suspect, Mark Richt owns Les Miles..? They have played precisely once. Additionally the argument that an sec title and you are proclaimed great is a bit silly. Tubby has one, if Miles wins it this year is he as good a coach? Is he better because his W/L record is better? You are setting up the argument so that you can say Miles isn't a decent coach. I'm sure that if LM wins the SEC you will comment that he hasn't won an NC, etc etc.

I'll take the 50% success rate of Miles if your going to throw up that arguement....

And I will take the more actual appearences which is a much better argument then "Well, he is on TRACK for X amount" argument

its ya'll that are "somehow" with no valid evidence that Miles is not good....we are just doing the same things you would do to defend our coach.

No SEC Titles is not a valid argument? Wow, you all are really stretching....

Honestly Southlink, if UGA was in the exact same postion as LSU and a great coach left and another came in and put up 2 consectutive 11-2 seasons with 2 bowl blowouts, something that even the great coach that left couldn't do in back to back seasons and people said UGA was on a delcline and that the new coach wasnt that good..........don't tell me you wouldn't laugh in thier face!

I gave this site a lot of crap until 2004. Ask anyone here. Until Tubs won the SEC, I was not going to put him that high on the list. Tubs came through in a BIG WAY and won the big games thus he has been total respect.

Miles has done a good job but he hasn't done a great job. He inherited a goldmine at LSU and through 2 seasons has not won an SEC Title.

If LSU fans are going to sit there and act like they weren't a bit shocked at not winning the West this year, then yes....I will laugh. LSU had their chance against UF and AU to represent the West and win the SEC. They didn't. Miles lost the important games for the 2nd straight year.

Like I said, Titles are what people are remembered for....if Richt goes 11-1 every year until he quits coaching and doesnt win another SEC Title...he wont last that long and neither would anyone else after a few years at a big time football school.

Additionally the argument that an sec title and you are proclaimed great is a bit silly. Tubby has one, if Miles wins it this year is he as good a coach?

Of course it's silly to you...your coach doesn't have one.

You all can laugh and cry all you want about how unimportant it is to you all but the fact is the LSU team in the pre-season prepares all off-season to win the SEC Title and NC. Not sit at home come the SECCG and play in a bowl game.

Tubs did get over the hump and IMO showed that he can win the big games all year long to win a Title.

If Miles does it, then we won't be having this conversation

the funny part is no LSU fan is saying that Miles is great just yet... we are just trying to defend the fact that some on this board say LSU is on a decline when there is absolutely not a speck of evidence of that.

I understand your arguement of not saying a coach is great until he wins a championship.....thats completely valid if thats your grade scale, i have no problem with that. But you can't compare SEC CG "appearances" or wins for that matter of Richt and Miles considering the time each has been in the SEC.

Is it football season yet????????? LOL

I think the point being made here is that it goes past statistics and "we won this." Think about that for a second? People are pointing at Miles for a reason.

the funny part is no LSU fan is saying that Miles is great just yet... we are just trying to defend the fact that some on this board say LSU is on a decline when there is absolutely not a speck of evidence of that.

I think this year will show who is right and wrong in that argument.

Agreed?

Agreed?

Yep, i think after three years, and certainly after 4, you have a pretty good idea of what your coach is and isn't going to do.

Agreed?

definitely agreed!!!! Its just the "LSU is on a decline" statements that gets us all riled up.... as it would do the same to all of you if the tables were turned.

I think the point being made here is that it goes past statistics and "we won this." Think about that for a second? People are pointing at Miles for a reason.

The reason people point at Miles is very simple: he's a doofus. His hat looks funny and he doesn't speak in coherent sentences. So people assume he's a bad coach. And to be truthful, I understand why. He sounds dumb.

But no matter how he sounds, you can't deny that in his first two seasons he's done exceptionally well. Chalk it up to luck or some kind of huge talent advantage over everyone else if you want to, but a more reasonable explanation is that he's a smarter coach than you think he is. That's all we're trying to say here. Instead of admitting that, certain people are citing misleading, asinine statistics or setting arbitrary benchmarks (like, how many SEC championships you've won since 2004) and acting like they prove something.

if Richt goes 11-1 every year until he quits coaching and doesnt win another SEC Title...he wont last that long and neither would anyone else after a few years at a big time football school.

I suspect you're correct, but it doesn't take away from the absurdity of the statement. Every head coach is in line to be fired, it's only a matter of time. But, like Tubby Smith, I suspect a coach that goes 11-1 every year (but with with no titles) will leave of his own volition long before he would be considered for termination.

No coach wants to succeed to that degree and still be disrespected by his fairweather fanbase.

BTW, if you can find the HC that could go 11-1 every year, let me know. Mebbe then I'll get on the Fire Tubs bandwagon <_<

Tubslsu06.jpg

I wasn't trying to be actually straight-forward with the 11-1 comment. You got my point though. Mack Brown's record at Texas before his NC was 11-2, 10-3, 11-2, and 11-2. And people gave him crap year after year because he couldn't beat OU and he couldn't win the "big one" for the BigXIICG.

It is all everyone heard before Vince Young came along. As successful as Brown was, he had that * by his name.

Miles can win a lot of games but until he wins an SEC Title, he will be questioned by a lot of people. Rightly so.

I wasn't trying to be actually straight-forward with the 11-1 comment. You got my point though. Mack Brown's record at Texas before his NC was 11-2, 10-3, 11-2, and 11-2. And people gave him crap year after year because he couldn't beat OU and he couldn't win the "big one" for the BigXIICG.

It is all everyone heard before Vince Young came along. As successful as Brown was, he had that * by his name.

Miles can win a lot of games but until he wins an SEC Title, he will be questioned by a lot of people. Rightly so.

Nobody gave Mack Brown any crap two years in. That's the difference here. If its 2010 and Miles still hasn't won in Atlanta, then this will be a different conversation. Until then, your "point" remains silly.

Nobody gave Mack Brown any crap two years in.

Are you kidding me? Did you just NOT pay attention to the crap he got after his constant OU losses/0 BigXII Titles? Texas Boosters were calling for Brown's head in 2004 after their loss to OU and no BigXII title.

Instead of giving you countless articles I found in all of 3 minutes off of Google, try searching yourself.

Edited - Oh crap, I just have to give this link...fits perfectly - http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/medi...ng-747509.shtml

If its 2010 and Miles still hasn't won in Atlanta, then this will be a different conversation. Until then, your "point" remains silly.

Isn't silly at all. He has yet to win a single title yet. Point remains quite strong. Point being that he is a good but far from great coach that has not gotten over the hump. We may be arguing about different things as geaux has said

If he wins it soon, more power to him.

this is a great thread, and I have bookmarked it for future reference

wow there is going to be some crow jambalya served to some Auburn fans after reading this...........

there is going to be some crow jambalya served to some Auburn fans after reading this...........

maybe, but they'll need to wait in line behind a long list of LSU fans to be properly served their crow

oops.jpg

Nobody gave Mack Brown any crap two years in. That's the difference here. If its 2010 and Miles still hasn't won in Atlanta, then this will be a different conversation. Until then, your "point" remains silly.

in 2010 it will be a completely different conversation, cause I don't believe miles will still be at lsu then and this thread won't matter.

Nobody gave Mack Brown any crap two years in.

Are you kidding me? Did you just NOT pay attention to the crap he got after his constant OU losses/0 BigXII Titles? Texas Boosters were calling for Brown's head in 2004 after their loss to OU and no BigXII title.

Instead of giving you countless articles I found in all of 3 minutes off of Google, try searching yourself.

Edited - Oh crap, I just have to give this link...fits perfectly - http://media.www.dailytexanonline.com/medi...ng-747509.shtml

If its 2010 and Miles still hasn't won in Atlanta, then this will be a different conversation. Until then, your "point" remains silly.

Isn't silly at all. He has yet to win a single title yet. Point remains quite strong. Point being that he is a good but far from great coach that has not gotten over the hump. We may be arguing about different things as geaux has said

If he wins it soon, more power to him.

I'm gonna try to put this very clearly. Read it slow if you have to. Maybe it will penetrate.

The issue here is whether Les Miles is a good coach. You say he's not b/c he hasn't won an SEC Championship. Note: the question is not whether winning a conference championship garners respect or means you're a good coach. We all agree that it does, so that's not what we're talking about. Again, the question is whether Miles is a good football coach.

The reason your "he hasn't won an SEC Championship" argument is ridiculous is because - pay attention please - Miles has only made two attempts. Again, if he stays at LSU for several more years, and still fails to win an SEC Championship, THEN (in the future) your argument might have some value. Until then (and right now) its worthless.

When I said that nobody was on Mack Brown's case 2 years into his Texas career, I was comparing Brown (at that point) to Les Miles right now. You're talking about people wanting to fire Mack Brown in 2004. No kidding. He started at Texas in 1998, so he'd been there for 6 years at that point. But nobody wanted to can Brown in 2000. Please, Dear Lord, tell me you understand that.

Again, the question is whether Miles is a good football coach.

Good? Sure...I would say he is a good HC.

The reason your "he hasn't won an SEC Championship" argument is ridiculous is because - pay attention please - Miles has only made two attempts.

Also had 4 years at OSU to win a conference title as well. So, if you want to add 2+4....see what that will give you.

Again, if he stays at LSU for several more years, and still fails to win an SEC Championship, THEN (in the future) your argument might have some value. Until then (and right now) its worthless.

My argument is that he hasn't gotten over the hump as a HC by actually winning a title of any kind yet thus the respect factor that we give him really shouldn't be that great.

Now, I know you understand that and refuse to acknowledge it but those are the facts.

One more thing, Texas won 4 games the year before Brown took over. Absolutely brilliant analogy to Miles situation. Really, that is just downright spot on. :lol:

My argument is that he hasn't gotten over the hump as a HC by actually winning a title of any kind yet thus the respect factor that we give him really shouldn't be that great.

Now, I know you understand that and refuse to acknowledge it but those are the facts.

One more thing, Texas won 4 games the year before Brown took over. Absolutely brilliant analogy to Miles situation. Really, that is just downright spot on. :lol:

Brother, you brought up Mack Brown, not me. Really, go check. Unbelievable...

Archived