Woman claims Starbucks coffee caused burns,

MDM4AU

THE BIRMINGHAM NEWS

Woman claims Starbucks coffee caused burns, sues

Friday, March 30, 2007

NANCY WILSTACH

News staff writer

A woman who claims she suffered second-degree burns from a cup of Starbucks coffee is suing the company in Shelby County Circuit Court.

Rhonda Lusco's complaint states that she bought a cup of coffee at Starbucks' drive-through at the 4710 U.S. 280 location at 8:45 a.m. March 24, 2005. And "Ms. Lusco was served a scalding hot cup of coffee. Despite allowing the coffee time to cool, the cup of coffee spilled onto her stomach, causing severe and painful burns" and requiring medical treatment, according to the suit.

Lusco, represented by lawyer Rhonda Hood, is charging "conscious indifference, willful, wanton and reckless disregard" for the consequences of serving "unreasonably dangerous coffee."

The product liability suit seeks damages of up to $50,000 because Starbucks made the product "unreasonably dangerous to the ultimate user or consumer," according to the suit.

The suit was filed March 22, and Starbucks has 30 days to answer. Lusco is not seeking a jury trial. It has been assigned to Circuit Judge H.L. "Sonny" Conwill.

Lottery is right on! These people are nothing more than opportunists who see the judicial system as a way to a quick buck.

God forbid I ever become a judge. I'll throw these leeches (and their shyster lawyers) out of my courtroom on their cans; burned bellys and all.

So if she was messing around with sulfuric acid and spilled that all over herself, would it be the acid company's fault?

Get a clue people.

The problem with these a holes is that the coffee making places are going to go "fine, you retards cant stop suing us, we wont serve anything but room temp coffee".

At times like these, I would kill to be a judge that gets that case. I'd laugh her ass out of court.

Yeah, if the Starbucks drive thru guy had reached out and poured the coffee on her head, maybe she'd have a case. But she spilled it on herself. Damn people, stop making life miserable for the rest of us.

Starbucks made the product "unreasonably dangerous to the ultimate user or consumer," according to the suit.

Say what? I think "unreasonably dangerous" coffee would be coffee so strong that it reaches out and pimp slaps you BEFORE pouring itself on you. That's "unreasonably dangerous." If she's going to sue Starbucks at least sue them for something reasonable like the price of their coffee. I think it's stupid to pay a latte for a freakin' cup of latte (pun intended). B)

Starbucks can't touch either of these guys.

8oclockLogo2.jpg

I remember going shopping at the A&P with my Mom as a child and she always bought Eight O' Clock coffee. It always smelled heavenly when she ground the beans in the grinder at the store. This was the 1960s in the Norwood community in Birmingham. I have seen it for sale at Winn Dixie and Kroger stores now.

Starbucks can't touch either of these guys.

8oclockLogo2.jpg

I remember going shopping at the A&P with my Mom as a child and she always bought Eight O' Clock coffee. It always smelled heavenly when she ground the beans in the grinder at the store. This was the 1960s in the Norwood community in Birmingham. I have seen it for sale at Winn Dixie and Kroger stores now.

They still have it at Foodworld as well.

I think the most dangerous thing about Starbucks coffee is having a sudden desire to play a game of chess or buy a Joan Armatrading CD.

Hilarious! :thumbsup:

Eight o'clock coffee rules! Been a while since I've had the pleasure of having some, but the smell of freshly ground 8 o'clock always reminded me of my grandmothers kitchen.

I still say we should consider Universal Legal Care under the Social Justice Administration

Jackpot Justice

America's out-of-control legal system imposes a staggering economic cost of over $865 billion every year according to a new scholarly study released today by the Pacific Research Institute, a free-market think tank based in San Francisco. That is 27 times more than the federal government spends on homeland security, 30 times the amount the National Institutes for Health spends finding cures for deadly diseases, and 13 times the amount the Department of Education spends to help educate America's children.

The authors of Jackpot Justice: The True Cost of America's Tort System calculated that the nation's tort system imposes a yearly "tort tax" of $9,827 for a family of four - and raises health care spending in the U.S. by $124 billion. The video at right features Dr. Lawrence J. McQuillan of Pacific Research Institute discussing the findings in Jackpot Justice.

The American Justice Partnership has set up a web page of materials related to Jackpot Justice, here, which includes a link to download the study, video and audio of an interview with the study's lead author, bios of the study's authors, and more.

Jackpot Justice

Archived