Smoltzie's got it going ON today!

BamaGrad03

5Ks through 3 and two weak hits. Getting ahead on every batter and has some downright nasty stuff.

He's not even going to his splitter much. That change is KILLIN em.

He's looked real good today so far.

I like the look of our bullpen based on first impressions. I know Wickman will be solid, and Soriano looks to be a good set-up/middle relief guy based on what I've seen today and his stats from last year.

2 things we sorely missed a year ago.

Don't forget the bullpen, 4 shutout innings!

I doubt we could have said that after any game last year.

I didn't realize the Braves blew 29 saves last season. And I think I watched every game. Just didnt know it was that many.

Though I love him as a pitcher/person, he is going to get an injury from age this year. His arm has got to go at some point with his hard pitches

Though I love him as a pitcher/person, he is going to get an injury from age this year. His arm has got to go at some point with his hard pitches

Well, he's only 39. And he's actually changed his approach a lot to save his arm. When he was closing, his fastball was around 96-97 and his splitter in the low 90s.

Now his 4 seamer is about 92 and he doesn't throw the splitter or the slider as much (hard on the shoulder and elbow)...he's gotten a lot of out his straight change.

He can still get it up in the 95-96 range if he needs to...but its not on every throw like back in the day.

Archived