Where is King Darby?

PChamp119

I kept hearing before the season that he was the best ever. Things changed because he had a bad season? I know you bammers realized he had a bad season, but perhaps this is a reason to let the games play out before making statements.

And no one said David Irons was all that great and would be drafted early. At least not I. He's just waiting for the thumbs up from his agent

when you have back to back 1000+ yard rushing seasons (04 and 05) you pretty much expect the same to happen the 3rd season. i don't think anyone really saw the thing with his dad coming or it having so much impact. so since you guys rave on and on about "running back U", apparently your RBs are absolutely phenomenal. lets compare kenny irons and kenneth darby for a second....

darby

2005 1242 yds 3TD

2006 820 yds 0TD

irons

2005 1293 yds 13TD

2006 821 yds 4TD

KI gained 51 more yards in 05 and 1 yard more in 06......52 more yards than darby over those 2 comparable years, however he did have 14 more TDs.

don't get me wrong.......carnell williams and ronnie brown were beasts, especially cadillac. he was a freakin TD machine. but right now AU doesn't exactly have a phenom. but then again, its not like we do either.

I believe Brad Lester scored a touchdown about one in every ten touches and averaged 5 yards per touch in '06. You kinda forgot about him.

oh, ok. brad laster 2006:

104 carries for 510 yards and 9 rushing TD with a 4.9 avg. 6 receptions for 87 yards and 1 receiving TD (597 all purpose). yes, that is about 1 in 10 carries is a TD, but when you only have 104 carries......compared to all the UA/AU guys had at least 200 carries. in 06 darby had 200 carries for 820 yards 0TD with 4.1 yard average.

The only stat that matters....winning

Can you believe Darby never saw the Tide beat Auburn while he wore the crimison and white, not even as a redshirt?

And KI put that soc/psych knowledge to work when he talked that trash. He knew how to get under your 'skin' scissors boy. He could back it up too. May favorite of all time, "I'm going hang 200 on em, they can't stop me".

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right, horrible numbers out of Lester. Only 9 more touchdowns than Darby in 100 fewer carries. What a horrible horrible back.

Auburn is Running Back U. Just accept it.

you're not really showing any numbers to support that, and you're missing my point. am i saying kenny irons is a horrible back? no. all i'm saying that since cadillac and ronnie brown, AU really hasn't had any phenomenal RBs. and how was the rushing game before those two?

In 2005, Kenny had 1200 yards without starting or getting much playing time in the first three or four games (not sure on the exact number).

in 05 irons was the starting tailback and had 1293 yards on 256 carries, which is on one of my earlier posts. the whole point is that PCChamp talks like we were crazy to think darby was going to be good in 06....because in 04 and 05 he had 1000+ yard rushing seasons. i was pointing out that aside from ronnie and cadillac, AU backs have had similar comparable seasons, yet AU considers themselves "running back U". i don't think anyone thought darby would be godlike in 06, but we certainly expected more performance than we got. however, i do understand why.

You're right, horrible numbers out of Lester. Only 9 more touchdowns than Darby in 100 fewer carries. What a horrible horrible back.

you're not really showing any numbers to support that, and you're missing my point. am i saying kenny irons is a horrible back? no. all i'm saying that since cadillac and ronnie brown, AU really hasn't had any phenomenal RBs. and how was the rushing game before those two?

Umm......

First, you say since Ronnie and Caddy. You DO realize its only been two years, right? Two years occupied by 2nd rounder Kenny Irons, right? So basically, if we can't count Lester, your first argument is moot. The last two years, Kenny Irons earned the right to be considered elite.

Your second point is just laughable...

Current NFL running backs.

Kenny Irons (newbie)

Ronnie

Caddy

Rudi Johnson

Heath Evans

(We get half-credit for Brandon Jacobs)

If you think Ronnie and Caddy are all the Ammo we've got, you'll be sadly mistaken. If you'd like to weigh in on the Bowden years, yeah, we didn't have a stellar running game. Aside from that brief interruption, we've been AUBURN has been RBU since #34 roamed the sidelines.

In 2005, Kenny had 1200 yards without starting or getting much playing time in the first three or four games (not sure on the exact number).

in 05 irons was the starting tailback and had 1293 yards on 256 carries, which is on one of my earlier posts. the whole point is that PCChamp talks like we were crazy to think darby was going to be good in 06....because in 04 and 05 he had 1000+ yard rushing seasons. i was pointing out that aside from ronnie and cadillac, AU backs have had similar comparable seasons, yet AU considers themselves "running back U". i don't think anyone thought darby would be godlike in 06, but we certainly expected more performance than we got. however, i do understand why.

No, Kenny was only the starter after...

...getting one carry against GT in the opener.

...falling behind Brad Lester and Carl Stewart in game two.

...pushing past Brad Lester in game three.

...Brad Lester getting hurt, giving him 90% of the carries.

Also, I'm pretty sure NFL scouts consider us RBU as well.

I kept hearing before the season that he was the best ever. Things changed because he had a bad season? I know you bammers realized he had a bad season, but perhaps this is a reason to let the games play out before making statements.

And no one said David Irons was all that great and would be drafted early. At least not I. He's just waiting for the thumbs up from his agent

when you have back to back 1000+ yard rushing seasons (04 and 05) you pretty much expect the same to happen the 3rd season. i don't think anyone really saw the thing with his dad coming or it having so much impact. so since you guys rave on and on about "running back U", apparently your RBs are absolutely phenomenal. lets compare kenny irons and kenneth darby for a second....

darby

2005 1242 yds 3TD

2006 820 yds 0TD

irons

2005 1293 yds 13TD

2006 821 yds 4TD

KI gained 51 more yards in 05 and 1 yard more in 06......52 more yards than darby over those 2 comparable years, however he did have 14 more TDs.

don't get me wrong.......carnell williams and ronnie brown were beasts, especially cadillac. he was a freakin TD machine. but right now AU doesn't exactly have a phenom. but then again, its not like we do either.

I believe Brad Lester scored a touchdown about one in every ten touches and averaged 5 yards per touch in '06. You kinda forgot about him.

104 carries for 510 yards and 9 rushing TD with a 4.9 avg. 6 receptions for 87 yards and 1 receiving TD (597 all purpose). yes, that is about 1 in 10 carries is a TD, but when you only have 104 carries......compared to all the UA/AU guys had at least 200 carries. in 06 darby had 200 carries for 820 yards 0TD with 4.1 yard average.

Can you believe Darby never saw the Tide beat Auburn while he wore the crimison and white, not even as a redshirt?

And KI put that soc/psych knowledge to work when he talked that trash. He knew how to get under your 'skin' scissors boy. He could back it up too. May favorite of all time, "I'm going hang 200 on em, they can't stop me".

lol, "scissors boy"....haven't heard that one before. i like that "i'm going to hang 200 on em, they can't stop me comment" lets take a look at those two games he started in

2006 Iron Bowl: 19 carries 85 yards 4.5 avg 1TD

2005 Iron Bowl: 28 carries 103 yards 3.7 avg 1TD

in 06 the only teams he gained 100 yards or over against was washington state (20att 183yds), south carolina (27att 117yds), and ole miss (23att 106yds)

in 05 he would have some room to talk some smack, seeing as how he hung 182 yards on arky, most notably LSU (27att 218yds 8.1yd avg 1TD), and 179 yards on UGA.

No, Kenny was only the starter after...

...getting one carry against GT in the opener.

...falling behind Brad Lester and Carl Stewart in game two.

...pushing past Brad Lester in game three.

...Brad Lester getting hurt, giving him 90% of the carries.

Also, I'm pretty sure NFL scouts consider us RBU as well.

i'm with you on game 1, but he got 13 carries in game 2 (28 yds), 11 in game 3 (147 yds), and 18 in game 4 (111 yds). still, he was good in 05.

In 2006 Irons missed two games and played most of the year at less than 100 percent due to turf toe, a groin pull, a high ankle sprain and a bruised fibula. He still ranked third in the SEC in rushing, averaging 82.1 yards per game. He led the team with 821 yards and four touchdowns on 174 attempts for a 4.7 average and caught nine passes for 76 yards.

And again, 5.

In 2006 Irons missed two games and played most of the year at less than 100 percent due to turf toe, a groin pull, a high ankle sprain and a bruised fibula. He still ranked third in the SEC in rushing, averaging 82.1 yards per game. He led the team with 821 yards and four touchdowns on 174 attempts for a 4.7 average and caught nine passes for 76 yards.

And again, 5.

darn, you're absolutely right. 5. great point! thats the perfect explanation as to why you guys are running back U. that explains everything. 5. otherwise known as the most likely number to be brought up when someone is pretty much right about something and an auburn fan has absolutely nothing to contradict it, and can't argue it.

And again, 5.

darn, you're absolutely right. 5. great point! thats the perfect explanation as to why you guys are running back U. that explains everything. 5. otherwise known as the most likely number to be brought up when someone is pretty much right about something and an auburn fan has absolutely nothing to contradict it, and can't argue it.

You could always counter with 10 or 12 or 13 or whichever number you happen to claim.... most do. :poke:

Umm......

First, you say since Ronnie and Caddy. You DO realize its only been two years, right? Two years occupied by 2nd rounder Kenny Irons, right? So basically, if we can't count Lester, your first argument is moot. The last two years, Kenny Irons earned the right to be considered elite.

Your second point is just laughable...

Current NFL running backs.

Kenny Irons (newbie)

Ronnie

Caddy

Rudi Johnson

Heath Evans

(We get half-credit for Brandon Jacobs)

If you think Ronnie and Caddy are all the Ammo we've got, you'll be sadly mistaken. If you'd like to weigh in on the Bowden years, yeah, we didn't have a stellar running game. Aside from that brief interruption, we've been AUBURN has been RBU since #34 roamed the sidelines.

You are forgetting Cribbs, James, and several other good ones pre-BO

And again, 5.

You could always counter with 10 or 12 or 13 or whichever number you happen to claim.... most do. :poke:

Now wait a minute...doesn't the ncaa credit them with 25 or 30? And they are just nice enough to only claim 17, 12, 13 or whatever. :lol:

Why bring it up? I never bring it up until you guys start making wise cracks that honestly, aren't funny at all.

You know what, that's fine. If you want us to have 7, we'll take it. That's 7 times more than what you have. Brag about the last 5 years all you want, but you're not going to win pre-2002 arguments as far as championships are concerned.

Yeah, I doubt Jacksonville is a vacation destination for most Dawg fans.

There are actually a LOT of UGA fans in Jax. They just don't surface too much.

darby

2005 1242 yds 3TD

2006 820 yds 0TD

irons

2005 1293 yds 13TD

2006 821 yds 4TD

lol, "scissors boy"....haven't heard that one before. i like that "i'm going to hang 200 on em, they can't stop me comment" lets take a look at those two games he started in

2006 Iron Bowl: 19 carries 85 yards 4.5 avg 1TD

2005 Iron Bowl: 28 carries 103 yards 3.7 avg 1TD

in 06 the only teams he gained 100 yards or over against was washington state (20att 183yds), south carolina (27att 117yds), and ole miss (23att 106yds)

in 05 he would have some room to talk some smack, seeing as how he hung 182 yards on arky, most notably LSU (27att 218yds 8.1yd avg 1TD), and 179 yards on UGA.

that "200" quote was from '05, before the lsu game, and he backed it up. if you're going to excuse your boy darby for his off-the-field problems this past year, you have to acknowledge the multiple injuries kenny battled through for most of the year. he was hobbled, and STILL managed to put up nice yards and get the ball in the endzone when it mattered (remember that sweet november evening, if you will). he just didn't have the breakaway ability he did in '05, for obvious reasons.

i'm not 100% sure what your argument is. the "RB U" moniker is not limited to our teams since 2004. if all you've got is some slams on kenny (coming from a fan of a team he owned for two years), take it elsewhere. i'm not going try and start any championship arguments, but think before you start trying to dog players on a team that has pimp-slapped your own for 5 years running and isn't planning on stopping anytime soon.

that "200" quote was from '05, before the lsu game, and he backed it up. if you're going to excuse your boy darby for his off-the-field problems this past year, you have to acknowledge the multiple injuries kenny battled through for most of the year. he was hobbled, and STILL managed to put up nice yards and get the ball in the endzone when it mattered (remember that sweet november evening, if you will). he just didn't have the breakaway ability he did in '05, for obvious reasons.

i'm not 100% sure what your argument is. the "RB U" moniker is not limited to our teams since 2004. if all you've got is some slams on kenny (coming from a fan of a team he owned for two years), take it elsewhere. i'm not going try and start any championship arguments, but think before you start trying to dog players on a team that has pimp-slapped your own for 5 years running and isn't planning on stopping anytime soon.

I don't think the guy losing his father counts as just off the field problems.

I don't think the guy losing his father counts as just off the field problems.

it does count as a lot more than that in real life, but in strictly football terms, it's exactly that. it's an excuse as to why he performed below his expected level. you can play violins all you want to, but my point still stands.

it does count as a lot more than that in real life, but in strictly football terms, it's exactly that. it's an excuse as to why he performed below his expected level. you can play violins all you want to

Losing a parent is something that affects you in every part of life for a lengthy time if not forever.

If you don't know that, you haven't lost a parent that you are close to.

it does count as a lot more than that in real life, but in strictly football terms, it's exactly that. it's an excuse as to why he performed below his expected level. you can play violins all you want to

Losing a parent is something that affects you in every part of life for a lengthy time if not forever.

If you don't know that, you haven't lost a parent that you are close to.

oh good god, folks. turning this into a life lesson is absolutely ridiculous. i in no way insinuated that losing a parent was no big deal. it's a HUGE deal. only you people would somehow go from dogging a bammer for trying to discount our runningback achievements to getting onto me for some supposed lack of compassion.

my simple argument was that if it was ok for darby not to live up to the hype, then it was ok for kenny not to live up to the hype, and it shouldn't affect a damn thing about our status. spare me the moral finger wagging.

There is no moral finger pointing. You said football wise it was an excuse and I think it is a pretty legit reason for maybe having an off year.

I have not the faintest idea if Darby is over-rated, under-rated, not-rated, rated, super-duper rated whatever.....to be honest, I never even heard of Darby until BG brought his name up at some point last year.

There is no moral finger pointing. You said football wise it was an excuse and I think it is a pretty legit reason for maybe having an off year.

I have not the faintest idea if Darby is over-rated, under-rated, not-rated, rated, super-duper rated whatever.....to be honest, I never even heard of Darby until BG brought his name up at some point last year.

How could you not heard of Darby before last season! He only almost took over the Alabama rushing record books! (heavy sarcasm). I can honestly say I don't remember any game that Darby just took over with his running ala Alexander vs LSU in 96 or Carnell vs Bama in 03.

Yeah, how could anyone have heard of a guy who finished 2nd in the league in rushing in 05, and had 5.2 yards per carry...and 103 yards per game?

Look, he had a bad senior season. Part of it was him, part of it was our terrible offensive scheming, and part of it was a poor offensive line.

But to suggest that he was a sorry RB over his career is a joke.

Yeah, how could anyone have heard of a guy who finished 2nd in the league in rushing in 05, and had 5.2 yards per carry...and 103 yards per game?

Look, he had a bad senior season. Part of it was him, part of it was our terrible offensive scheming, and part of it was a poor offensive line.

I don't get it.

I don't get it.

I think it needs a better punch line.

Archived