McCain on immediate withdrawal

"Will this nation's elected leaders make the politically hard, but strategically vital decision to give Gen. Petraeus our full support and do what is necessary to succeed in Iraq? Or will we decide to take advantage of the public's frustration, accept defeat, and hope that whatever the cost to our security, the politics of defeat will work out better for us than our opponents? For my part, I would rather lose a campaign than a war." - John McCain, April 11, 2007, speaking to cadets at VMI

"I watched with regret as the House of Representatives voted to deny our troops the support necessary to carry out their new mission. Democratic leaders smiled and cheered as the last votes were counted. What were they celebrating? Defeat? Surrender? In Iraq, only our enemies were cheering. A defeat for the United States is a cause for mourning not celebrating." - John McCain, same speech

"In Washington, where political calculation seems to trump all other considerations, Democrats in Congress and their leading candidates for president — heedless of the terrible consequences of our failure — unanimously confirmed our new commander and then insisted he be prevented taking the action he believes necessary to safeguard our country's interests. ... In Washington, cynicism appears to be the quality most prized by those who accept defeat but not the responsibility for its consequences." - Another worthy McCain quote from the speech.

Archived