Most important sports moment

This is a spinoff question along with the sports heroes. What do people think was the most important or significant sports moment in history?

the 1980 Olympic Ice Hockey team defeating hte russians and winning the gold medal comes to mind for me.

The home run chase between sosa and mcguire reviving baseball after the strike.

I'm showing my age, but I'm sure some of the Ali fights were a huge deal, I just don't remember them or their impact.

Jesse Owens.

End of discussion.

no arguement here

Good call. You think because of the impact here in the States or because the statement made to Hitler and the rest of the world?

The most significant sports moment?

This past Friday night in our T-ball game when my son hit a screaming line-drive back at the pitcher (One of the two kids standing on pitcher's mound) who bobbled it and then the ball rolled over to a kid standing by 2nd base, who picked it up and looked at it for a while and then, upon the urging of his coach and all the parents in the stands, threw it in the general direction of 1st base but didn't quite make it there so the little girl with the pink glove who was sort of playing right field picked it up and then...after more urging by coaches and parents, rolled it the final 5 feet to the 1st baseman who bobbled it for a while before picking it up and stepping on the base....

But NO...TOO LATE. My son beat the throw by a split second. Thus keeping the inning alive...even though every kid bats every inning.

If that's not one of the top 5 of all time.....well then I don't know what is.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Good call. You think because of the impact here in the States or because the statement made to Hitler and the rest of the world?

Both.

This past Friday night in our T-ball game when my son hit a screaming line-drive back at the pitcher (One of the two kids standing on pitcher's mound) who bobbled it and then the ball rolled over to a kid standing by 2nd base, who picked it up and looked at it for a while and then, upon the urging of his coach and all the parents in the stands, threw it in the general direction of 1st base but didn't quite make it there so the little girl with the pink glove who was sort of playing right field picked it up and then...after more urging by coaches and parents, rolled it the final 5 feet to the 1st baseman who bobbled it for a while before picking it up and stepping on the base....

But NO...TOO LATE. My son beat the throw by a split second. Thus keeping the inning alive...even though every kid bats every inning.

Good call. I wish I had been a good enough father to come up with this answer.

Most imoportant to the World? Owens, hands down.

Most important to a parent? Written above...

Most important to me?

I'd turned 40 and "retired" from softball because my wife got tired of helping me treat my increasingly frequent injuries. Got called out of the stands at a tournament because the company softball team I used to play for was down a player due to injury and I was still technically on the roster. Came up in the seventh inning of the championship game with two outs and runners on second and third, down a run. To that point, I was 0-tourney at the plate and struggling. Line drive double into the gap. Haven't picked up a bat in anger since.

The 1980 olympic hockey team beating the Rooskies. Man, talk about something that gave us a reason to smile when smiles were awful hard to come by. That one stands out the most to me.

Wasn't there for Jesse Owens, or Jackie Robinson either.

My top 5:

5) Free Agency in professional sports.

4) US Olympic Hockey

3) Big Mac/Sosa Home run chase of 1998

2) AFL/NFL merger

1) Jackie Robinson

Most important to me?

I'd turned 40 and "retired" from softball because my wife got tired of helping me treat my increasingly frequent injuries. Got called out of the stands at a tournament because the company softball team I used to play for was down a player due to injury and I was still technically on the roster. Came up in the seventh inning of the championship game with two outs and runners on second and third, down a run. To that point, I was 0-tourney at the plate and struggling. Line drive double into the gap. Haven't picked up a bat in anger since.

Just shovels right?

Most important to me?

I don't know. The SRS Airbags are 4-0 in the Huntsville engineering league. Have an awesome first year player/manager. I don't want to jinx the team, but I don't think undefeated is out of the question. If its not event of the decade, its at least event of the year. And let me tell you, you get some top notch athletes in the engineering league.

And at least you have a wife to treat your injuries. I can't seem to find any nurses at the hospital that want to offer free care to a self-crippled softball player.

Most important to me?

I don't know. The SRS Airbags are 4-0 in the Huntsville engineering league. Have an awesome first year player/manager. I don't want to jinx the team, but I don't think undefeated is out of the question. If its not event of the decade, its at least event of the year. And let me tell you, you get some top notch athletes in the engineering league.

And at least you have a wife to treat your injuries. I can't seem to find any nurses at the hospital that want to offer free care to a self-crippled softball player.

That was an awful year. It was like I broke down everywhere all at once.

Sprained an arch. Don't ask me how. Hurt like a !*Q%$&* just to walk.

Attempted to slide and shredded the skin off my leg from knee to ankle.

Popped something in my thigh trying to beat out a ground ball. Leg turned black, green and yellow from knee to crotch.

Took a bad hop to the mouth playing second. Four stitches in the lip.

Was pitching and took a line drive off the top of the same foot with the sprained arch.

Blew out the elbow because I didn't warm up enough. Twisted my back on a clumsy swing.

I wish I'd had Barry Bonds' personal trainer. I'd still be playing.

PUNT BAMA PUNT (Number Uno)

Race between Mickey Mantle & Roger Maris to hit 61 homers (Big)

US hockey team beating the Russians (Like the Punt Bama Punt game)

Bo over the top.

Wasn't around for Jesse Owens & only vaguely remember Jackie Robinson, but Punt Bama Punt still brings a smile to my face.

WDE

PUNT BAMA PUNT (Number Uno)

Race between Mickey Mantle & Roger Maris to hit 61 homers (Big)

US hockey team beating the Russians (Like the Punt Bama Punt game)

Bo over the top.

Wasn't around for Jesse Owens & only vaguely remember Jackie Robinson, but Punt Bama Punt still brings a smile to my face.

WDE

I agree with you - Punt Bama Punt.

when our 10 yr old minors team finally scored some runs after a 3 game drought. With my son getting a hit and scoring the first run, by stealing home. after stealing 2nd and 3rd.

Wow, that same EXACT play happened in my sons T-ball game last weekend (and the weekend before that too), right down to the pink glove and rolling it to first. Man, I get just as much enjoyment out of watching them play as they do hitting the ball and running around. But snack time at the end is what they all look forward to. T-ball is great!

Archived