1. Georgia

1. South Carolina

3. Florida

3. Tennessee

5. Vanderbilt

6. Kentucky

Guest Frank Burns

How about a link there, Idiot?

I just checked Phil Steele's website and your list does not exist.

Steele is the best of the pre-season magazines, imo.

I wouldn't bash him too badly, BG...he was one of the only to predict Bama having a great season in 2005

But, he is also very wrong on a good bit as everyone else is...I am not sure why he has AU so low....I got AU in my Top 15

The 2007 issue won't be released until June 5th.

Jackass.

The 2007 issue won't be released until June 5th.

Jackass.

I once had a jackass. I called it Gertrude even though it was a boy. Do you know how hard it is to get pantyhose on a donkey?

Personally, I could care less about preseason polls. But since it's the topic of discussion for this post, what the hell. Phil Steele's poll has Auburn about 20 spots lower than most polls but his prediction does represent the lack of confidence that most in the media have in Auburn for the 2007 season. The talk this whole offseason has been about Saban and how he has come to restore the glory to Alabama football. Every column you read it's Saban this, Saban that. The preseason polls for '07 is the first time that Auburn has even been mentioned since the Cotton Bowl. Furthermore, our shedule this season is brutal. Our first two games against K-State and USF will be the two toughest non conference games that we've played since '03, when we started out with USC and Georgia Tech. Not to mention that we're going through murders row on the road against teams like Arkansas, LSU, Florida, and Georgia. Yikes!! Even some Auburn fans have conceded that '07 may not be such a great year. If you ask me, I like the position we're in. No media coverage. No constant national championship talk before a down has even been played. No talk about the BCS.......yet. Auburn will enter the season a bit under the radar and speaking from historical perspective, that's a really good thing.

Phil Steele must be brain dead.

Hmmm, number one in accuracy 2001-05 and again in 2006...

Steele was #1 in accuracy 2001-05 http://preseason.stassen.com/prediction-ac...y/2006-5yr.html and in 2006 http://preseason.stassen.com/prediction-accuracy/2006.html

:poke:

Guess he fell off the wagon. Sad.

Do I think he's spot on? Of course not. Then again, I'm not going to sit around and pretend to know exactly how things will shake out.

I had you guys in the national title game in 2003 and us in it in 2000. If my memory serves me correctly, neither happened. That's why we play the game.

We might win 6 again. Who knows? Yet, to say that Alabama doesn't have a chance to finish inside the Top 20 or go to the Cotton Bowl is laughable. It will all be decided on the field.

Phil Steele is a Bama homer. That's why he's got Bama so high and AU so low.

I'm all for loving your team. But I like a modicum of objectivity also.

Sure he picked us to do well in 05. If you pick us to do well every year...and we do have a good year...it doesn't discount all the others where you are wrong.

Auburn at 42nd is a joke.

Guest BoStillKnows

Do these culottes make my butt look big?

You're an idiot

He's the poster child for the houndstooth afflicted.

Sure he picked us to do well in 05. If you pick us to do well every year...and we do have a good year...it doesn't discount all the others where you are wrong.

He didn't have UA ranked in his Top 25 last year.

He didn't have UA ranked in his Top 25 last year.

Question: What is this about Steele picking us to do well in '05? According to Stassen.com, he picked us 25th. We finished 8th that year. As far as I can tell, he's had objective picks on both UA and AU.

FWIW, Game Plan was the only mag to pick us in the Top 10 when we actually finished there -- '02 and '05.

Phil Steele on Alabama and Auburn since 2000

Auburn

2000: NR. Final ranking? 18th

2001: NR -- NR

2002: NR -- 14th

2003: 15th -- NR

2004: 22nd -- 2nd

2005: 17th -- 14th

2006: 2nd -- 9th

2007: 41st -- ???

Alabama

2000: 6th -- NR

2001: 24th -- NR

2002: NR -- 11th

2003: NR -- NR

2004: 25th -- NR

2005: 25th -- 8th

2006: NR -- NR

2007: 17th -- ???

To say that he's shown bias in his picks on both Alabama and Auburn doesn't make that much sense to me. He's ranked us high when we've finished low and vice versa. Same thing with AU. He may really be a 'Bama homer, but his predictions are not indicative of that.

Linkage

Win, in 2005, he had a big section about Alabama being one of his sleeper National Title Contenders....

Hence the love...He even went on Finebaum during the year and went on and on about Bama....he really did like the 2005 team

Win, in 2005, he had a big section about Alabama being one of his sleeper National Title Contenders....

Hence the love...He even went on Finebaum during the year and went on and on about Bama....he really did like the 2005 team

He turned about to be right. On the second Saturday in November, it was USC, Texas, Alabama, and Miami. Of course, the last two teams fell by the wayside as USC and Texas established themselves as the clear top two teams.

The only thing about '05 was where we were weak, we were super weak.

I'd hate to lose the Iron Bowl but to watch Alabama go undefeated, the year after Auburn did, and get the shaft would have been rather funny.

It's a ranking system made in May, before the summer workouts. Who cares that much other then rival folks looking for a reaction?

Do these culottes make my butt look big?

You're an idiot

He's the poster child for the houndstooth afflicted.

ya i know, i've browsed for a while. what i originally quoted was him saying that we were both projected to face houston, which was not at all what was projected. he edited after i quoted him and called him an idiot, for some reason his edit changed what i had quoted him on. thanks though. but yes, he is a delusional houndstooth wearing idiot

UAT plays Houston on October 6 for homecoming. I assume that's what bammerperry was referring to.

Archived