Jefferson Indicted

channonc

Jury Indicts Jefferson in Bribery Probe

By LARA JAKES JORDAN

The Associated Press

Monday, June 4, 2007; 2:10 PM

WASHINGTON -- Rep. William Jefferson, D-La., was indicted Monday on federal charges of racketeering, soliciting bribes and money-laundering in a long-running bribery investigation into business deals he tried to broker in Africa.

The indictment handed up in federal court in Alexandria., Va., Monday is 94 pages long and lists 16 alleged violations of federal law that could keep Jefferson in prison for up to 235 years, according to a Justice Department official who has seen the document.

Among the charges listed in the indictment, said the official, are racketeering, soliciting bribes, wire fraud, money-laundering, obstruction of justice, conspiracy and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case.

Jefferson is accused of soliciting bribes for himself and his family, and also for bribing a Nigerian official.

Washington Post

Good to see we may be on the road to weeding out at least some of the corruption in Washington.

Good to see we may be on the road to weeding out at least some of the corruption in Washington.

I commend your honesty and guts to say that in public.

One down. About 100,000 to go.

Boy, that Bush's Boy Gonzalez is pulling out all the stops to try to divert attention away from his shenannigans in office, huh?

Boy, that Bush's Boy Gonzalez is pulling out all the stops to try to divert attention away from his shenannigans in office, huh?

What was the point in your sarcastic comment?

Umm.... sarcasm? The Justice Dept. has indicted Congressman Jefferson on 16 counts which ( I heard ) is some 95 pages long. This is the same Congressman Jeffeson who had how many thousands of dollars discovered in his freezer , BEFORE the '06 election, yet was still voted back into office. It's clear by the evidence that the Dem party is by far the ' party of corruption' between the two.

Guest Frank Burns

It's clear by the evidence that the Dem party is by far the ' party of corruption' between the two.

I don't think either party holds that monopoly.

Umm.... sarcasm? The Justice Dept. has indicted Congressman Jefferson on 16 counts which ( I heard ) is some 95 pages long. This is the same Congressman Jeffeson who had how many thousands of dollars discovered in his freezer , BEFORE the '06 election, yet was still voted back into office. It's clear by the evidence that the Dem party is by far the ' party of corruption' between the two.

I know you enjoy fantasy movies, but fantasy politics? Look, I vote for the GOP a lot more than the Dems, but the Republicans are pretty darned corrupt, too.

I know you enjoy fantasy movies, but fantasy politics? Look, I vote for the GOP a lot more than the Dems, but the Republicans are pretty darned corrupt, too.

Pelosi ran on the ridiculous slogan ' the culture of corruption' when describing the former party in control, and yet her party is every bit as corrupt, if not more. There's no 'fantasy' about that at all, just the facts.

Archived