What you do when all you got is moral victories....

DKW 86

http://blog.al.com/tidecorner/

Hey Dennis, Remember you won the last three quarters of the 2005 Iron Bowl...(after we only threw three passes the rest of the game.)

And Dennis, Domination is having a 1.000 record on your arch rival's home field over the last 110 years....

Written By a $PUATer

Saban's impact already sending shockwaves

Posted by Dennis Pillion August 09, 2007 2:40 PM

"We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year to dominate."

It's not that easy to dominate your opponent in college football before the season starts, but it seems like Nick Saban is doing it anyway.

While players are just starting to hit each other again in fall practice, Saban and his staff of all-stars recruiters (who also happen to be position coaches) have been hitting the streets, locking down 15 verbal commitments for the class of 2008.

Those 15 commits give Alabama the 9th best recruiting class in the nation according to Rivals.com, and the Tide is still under serious consideration with top prospects like all-everything receiver Julio Jones from Foley, linebacker Arthur Brown from Kansas, and quarterback Star Jackson.

Auburn on the other hand has eight commits, ranked No. 42 by Rivals. The only in-state player committed to the Tigers is Shades Valley defensive end Cameron Henderson. I'm not saying Henderson won't be a great player, but he's currently unranked by Rivals.

I can hear the Auburn fans griping though the keyboard before I finish typing. Yes, it's only August and recruits can't even sign until February. Yes, verbal commitments are non-binding and Auburn has plenty of time to catch up. And yes, there are plenty of phenomenal players the recruiting web sites miss out on. (DeMeco Ryans immediately comes to mind)

But a No. 9 ranking against a No. 42 ranking? That sounds like domination to me.

Even more impressive than the rankings is the in-state domination Alabama's shown so far this year. Recruiting know-it-alls like to say that if one school could bottle all the talent in Alabama, that team would be stacked for good. And that seems to be Saban's goal.

It's what he did best at LSU. Sure, he's a good game coach, but what really stands out about Saban is his ability to sign top-notch high school athletes and turn them into NFL first-round talent. Les Miles is still winning 11 games a season off the talent Saban left him.

The Saban Effect is showing already in the jump-started recruiting ranks and the slimmed-down players reporting to Alabama's fall camp in the best shape of their lives.

Auburn fans may say they're not worried, but they should be. The Tigers have a talented team this year. Tommy Tuberville -- who constantly reminds us that at AU, class is optional -- may get the honor of running around with six fingers in the air. But change is coming.

Perception is everything in recruiting, and right now the perception of a lot of high-profile recruits is to get on the Saban bandwagon and ride it to a championship. Hop on boys, there's room for 25 more this year.

well, at least our recruits aren't being begged by our college students on their knees at a gas station to please please commit to Alabama. ask Dee Finley about that story....

at this point in time, you can't honestly say AU isn't being beaten in recruiting. HOWEVER, if that doesn't translate to the field, it doesn't even matter. we could have the #1 class in the nation. but if we suck on the field, it does not matter. yeah i'm pretty proud we're bringing in some good kids, and i'm pretty proud we're cleaning up in state. but i won't puff my chest too far, february is a long time from now. i agree with the facts in the article, but i'm not a huge fan of the context that it is put into. when i see some results on the field, then we'll see about gloating.

Les Miles is still winning 11 games a season off the talent Saban left him.

I guess these idiots will still be saying the same thing five years from now. Geez.

I once threw up after eating 5 moon pies and drinking a whole carton of Dairy Fresh chocolate milk. My sister said I couldn't do it and double dog dared me. I've never passed up a double dog dare from my sister. I would have made it too if she hadn't spun me around in that tire swing.

Hold your head up high, Tide faithful, in a few weeks they will start drooping lower and lower. Get back to us when Nick Savior wins a meaningful game.....

Tommy Tuberville -- who constantly reminds us that at AU, class is optional --
:o:angry:

Let's see, CTT

1) always treats the press and fans with dignity

2) attends church whenever possible and teachs Sunday School sometimes

3) insists on good discipline even if it means benching a star for six games

4) is loved by his assistants and usually gets any assistant coach he attempts to hire

He has never:

1) told off-color stories about "coonasses"

2) been caught at strip joints or with strippers in his hotel room

3) had an affair with his secretary, nor hit her

4) been investigated by the NCAA for major infractions

5) tolerated one of his players asking for ice cream when doing wrong

6) treated the press like small children to be lectured when they ask a question about depth charts

7) had trouble hiring assistants because many turned him down

8) been the target of rumors regarding how arrogant he is, how difficult he is to work with, or how much his staff and coworkers hate him.

But I guess you have to have class before you can recognize class in others, Dennis.

I guess these idiots will still be saying the same thing five years from now. Geez.

no they won't. Miles won't be there in 5 years.

Let's see, CTT

4) is loved by his assistants and usually gets any assistant coach he attempts to hire

He has never:

6) treated the press like small children to be lectured when they ask a question about depth charts

8) been the target of rumors regarding how arrogant he is, how difficult he is to work with, or how much his staff and coworkers hate him.

But I guess you have to have class before you can recognize class in others, Dennis.

don't forget about how many of our seniors in previous years have graduated BEFORE their senior season of eligibility. We have (I Think) 9 seniors this year that already have degrees. His comments are just ignorant and wishful thinking that anything is gonna change.

well, at least our recruits aren't being begged by our college students on their knees at a gas station to please please commit to Alabama. ask Dee Finley about that story....

you're right....they just have 30 year old men leaving comments on "their" myspace page to go to a school that will turn him into a man :(

"julio's" myspace

When Miles wins 11 games without Saban's talented players, I am sure they will stop saying it.

you're right....they just have 30 year old men leaving comments on "their" myspace page to go to a school that will turn him into a man :(

"julio's" myspace

as if the concept of myspace didn't scare me enough....dear god.

Let's see, CTT

He has never:

Damn. That'll leave a mark.

Let's see, CTT

He has never:

Fiestiest I've seen Quietfan... :thumbsup::cheer:

quietfan,

You need to register over there and add that broadside to the comments section. Then run to avoid the barrage of Dickel and tobacco juice.

quietfan,

You need to register over there and add that broadside to the comments section. Then run to avoid the barrage of Dickel and tobacco juice.

Thanks, but I have no plans to register for any Bama site. Of course, those facts are not copyrighted so anyone who wants to take them elsewhere can do as he likes.

Just leave my name off it...I don't feel like opening an umbrella for the Dickel/spittle shower. ;)

Archived