Recruit Ratings? Are they really worth a crap?

otterinbham

Case in point. Notre Dame always recruits nationally. They always have a primo class of recruits. Yet the program continues its downward spiral towards mediocrity.

Discuss.

Yes & No. Just this past year I saw a 3star go to a 4star once commiting. I think the ones doing the "rating" can adjust it to cater to what they want to report.

What it boils down to, though, is coaching. You can be the nations top recruiter but what does that matter if you cannot properly coach the talent you get in. I'm not knocking any coach in particular, but it is what it is.

I definitely think that the star rating system can be useful, however the rankings are very subjective to whoever's ranking them. But you have to remember that it's all based on potential. The kid is the one that has to live up to that potential. You can have a 5 star that's the most gifted athlete in the world, but he may not live up to that potential. You can also have a 3 star that doesn't quite have the natural skills of a 5 star, but he's got 10x mores heart and work ethic and he becomes more succesful.

I don't take too much stock in them. It's kind of like the coaches poll. You can tell the guys that have the ability to be really good, but when it comes down to it, it's all up to the player. There are other factors - coaches, teammates, system, etc., but so much of it comes down to that player and his abilities and will to use those abilities to their fullest.

I think Tuberville has a great eye for spotting potential. We've had lots of players who haven't been highly touted come in and turn into great players. As for people having an agenda as to how they rank a kid and who he's interested in/signs with, I dunno. If people want to believe that, they can.

I mean you don't want to be ranked in the 30's and 40's, but as long as you are ranked in the top 20 consistently with some top 10's scattered in there, you know you are getting your fair share of players.

After that, its up to the coaches.

I think the biggest thing the rankings aren't able to measure is "character"

I think the biggest thing the rankings aren't able to measure is "character"

This is very true. I think this is why Auburn has had such outstaning classes in recent years. CTT looks for that in our prospects. Our coaches can take a hardworking, classy, dedicated "mid-range" recruit and turn him into a very productive NFL caliber player, MOST of which appreciate belief in them and stay for four years instead of leaving early in drafts.

Archived