Serious Question For BG, Win, and other Bama fans

SouthLink02

I got a question for you all that really does confuse me. I stick up for Bama on here and you all know that. I enjoy reading your posts and I do think a lot of the time you and AU fans have good arguments that both sides are correct but you all are just smack talking for fun

But, I think there is only ONE MAJOR THING that I have seen posted by BG that I really, really think he is back-tracking on and that is with recruiting. I am NOT trying to pile on BG and he knows that but I am honestly asking.

Why when I go to Bama forums do I see people talking about "lack of talent" or "Shula left us bare at X positions"

What the HELL happened then to the last few Bama classes that were ranked Top 15-20 for the last few years? I mean, those are NOT bad rankings. Did Bama have a lot of drop outs? UGA had like 7-10 drop out for 2 consecutive years from 2003-2004 classes so maybe that is what happened

Where did it all go?

I understand if Bama fans said things like "We have the wrong players for Saban's system" or something but I keep seeing "Lack of talent" threads

I see where there could be questions. Here's the score:

The two years that Fran was here, he recruited horribly. And the first couple years of Shula's tenure, we were under scholarship restrictions. During 03-04 we had to take a lot of leftovers at some positions. 05 and 06 would have been stellar recruiting years, had we not had a lot of non-quals and washouts.

When you are on scholly restrictions, you have to take risks on guys who may be rated highly on paper, but don't really have what it takes to make it to the field.

And here's the big thing:

We have talent. We have no depth. And while Shula recruited skill positions quite well: DJ Hall, Keith Brown, JPW, Robert Marve (who switched to Miami), etc...he was the worst I've ever seen at being able to close on Dline and LB recruits. We were constantly ranked very very low nationally in terms of LB and DT positions. We lost battle after head to head battle on nearly every major LB recruit we were in on.

And I also think the fact that we are talented at the skill positions but nowhere else, is a testament to Shula's lack of a real S&C program. WRs and QBs and even DBs don't have to be weight room warriors to compete in the SEC. But linemen do.

Also, part of our talent that contributed to our rankings were high profile olinemen during 05 and 06 classes. But BJ Stabler and a couple of others have been career injury guys. And the others (save Caldwell and Smith) suffered from the S&C program and the coaching of Bob Connely who really had no clue in regards to talent development.

But bottom line, we struggle at the line on both sides of the ball. And where we have talent in spots, we don't have depth behind them. So if a guy decides to sell his textbooks...well there's no one behind him.

We started 5-2. Then the textbook 5 got suspended. We finished 1-4. Two starting olinemen were suspended, and it just killed us.

Shula was a good recruiter and talent evaluator given his circumstances. And much of my stance that he was a good recruiter had to do with the fact that he got guys here in spite of the fact that we were on probation or going 4-9. But also, it's easy to be high on recruiting classes before everyone qualifies. And it's hard to REALLY look and see that we are going to be in trouble 3 years down the line, because you don't see the glaring hole at LB or DT...you just see that #15 recruiting ranking. And every fan gives his coaches the benefit of the doubt early on. How were we to know that our Oline coach couldn't develop top 5 talent at his coaching position?

I'd like to hear the answer to this. Because in 05' all we heard was that with an Andre Smith lead signing class and coming off a 10 season; nothing less than winning the SEC and competing for the MNC in 07' would be expected. <_<

Let's see....didn't bama have several guys on the All SEC team while we had only one? And they didn't have any talent? Shula left the cupboard bare? Hmmmm.

The score??? This ought to be good.

The two years that Fran was here, he recruited horribly. And the first couple years of Shula's tenure, we were under scholarship restrictions. During 03-04 we had to take a lot of leftovers at some positions. 05 and 06 would have been stellar recruiting years, had we not had a lot of non-quals and washouts.

But I bet just like today, they looked GRRRRREAT on paper. Shula was mopping it up in recruiting. We gotcha..heard it all before, but please...continue....umm..uuh..with the score and all.

When you are on scholly restrictions, you have to take risks on guys who may be rated highly on paper, but don't really have what it takes to make it to the field.

Yeah, that's what they did. Risk the few "scholly's" they had on risks on paper. That's the way it happens, they always get rated bonkers high on paper, while they are actually crap on the field. Maybe you guys have deeper scouting and recruiting issues than we originally thought....err uh...wait, no, we knew it was bad..it was you guys telling us that we were just being Aubs not giving Bammer credit. By all means, let's continue this BS....

Actually, it's not the "big" thing, but the "BG" thing....

We have talent. We have no depth. And while Shula recruited skill positions quite well: DJ Hall, Keith Brown, JPW, Robert Marve (who switched to Miami), etc...he was the worst I've ever seen at being able to close on Dline and LB recruits. We were constantly ranked very very low nationally in terms of LB and DT positions. We lost battle after head to head battle on nearly every major LB recruit we were in on.

So, do you have talent, or you don't have talent in key postions? Really? I thought you were preaching about all these people at the beginning of the year that were going to be first rounders in the NFL. My bad, that must have been BamaGrad04 or something... continue...

And I also think the fact that we are talented at the skill positions but nowhere else, is a testament to Shula's lack of a real S&C program. WRs and QBs and even DBs don't have to be weight room warriors to compete in the SEC. But linemen do.

What an ignorant statement. So it's your belief that skill position players don't hit the weight room with the same ferocity as the big boys? You're completely off kilter on this one chief.

Also, part of our talent that contributed to our rankings were high profile olinemen during 05 and 06 classes. But BJ Stabler and a couple of others have been career injury guys. And the others (save Caldwell and Smith) suffered from the S&C program and the coaching of Bob Connely who really had no clue in regards to talent development.

An excuse for EVERY situation. So how does this all prove that Auburn fans were NOT right in how we ripped Bama and their program when it comes to recruiting and player development? You're doing nothing but confirming the lost state that your program STILL lies in.

But bottom line, we struggle at the line on both sides of the ball. And where we have talent in spots, we don't have depth behind them. So if a guy decides to sell his textbooks...well there's no one behind him.

So, again, we were right when we talked about how F'd up your program was, and you defended Shula (at the time) endlessly. Just like you're going to do now with Satan...err..Saban.

We started 5-2. Then the textbook 5 got suspended. We finished 1-4. Two starting olinemen were suspended, and it just killed us.

More excuses. Please do NOT tell us that you lost to ULM because of 5 missing players AT HOME, with a full dressed squad on senior day. This is very petty. Awful.

Shula was a good recruiter and talent evaluator given his circumstances. And much of my stance that he was a good recruiter had to do with the fact that he got guys here in spite of the fact that we were on probation or going 4-9. But also, it's easy to be high on recruiting classes before everyone qualifies. And it's hard to REALLY look and see that we are going to be in trouble 3 years down the line, because you don't see the glaring hole at LB or DT...you just see that #15 recruiting ranking. And every fan gives his coaches the benefit of the doubt early on. How were we to know that our Oline coach couldn't develop top 5 talent at his coaching position?

HAHAHAHA....

I love it. Stating EXACTLY what us Aubies have been telling you about THIS year's class, but NOOOOO you guys are ALL about telling us about how we don't believe squat when it comes to Bama. Well, I guess it's true because of EVERYTHING you just proved true in your own post BG. So lose this whole, because we're Aubs crap. We feel this way, because, as you've CLEARLY seen yourself, it's right there in front of everyone.

You guys have a LONG way to go, and frankly, the laughs, ridicule and doubt all are in response to the very bag of tricks you and your coach, and program have brought to the show.

Keep it up. Very nicely written though. Actually, it's one of your best in a sense, that you wrote exactly what Auburn people had been telling you. Now the challenge for you, is to realize is that IT'S NOT OVER yet. Alabama has the burden of proof on THEIR shoulders.

B)

I dunno chopper, a lot of that seemed pretty on point to me. I think (and have thought for a long long time) one of the major differences between Shula or Fran or most other coaches in the SEC and Tubby is Tubs' (and his staff's) ability to hit an exceedingly high percentage of sleepers. Fact is, the recruiting services are educated guessers. They have no idea how guys will react to: homesickness, lack of attention, hard work, physical inferiority, growth spurts, etc.

Those are things almost every player faces out of high school that he didn't face in high school. The saving grace of this staff has been its ability to "see" a guy's guts and potential and ability before it's ever developed. Bama hasn't been able to do that.

I don't buy the argument that Bama lost on its big time recruits at LB or DL or OL or anywhere else. They got plenty of guys they wanted (Andre Smith, Prince Hall, Juwan Simpson, Freddie Roach, Brandon Deaderick, Bobby Greenwood, Brandon Faney... all those guys were pretty highly recruited. Bama landed them. Some of them have turned out, but a pretty high number of them really haven't developed physically or didn't handle pressure/responsibility or whatever else.

In the same time, Auburn's had guys like Tyronne Green gain weight, change sides of the ball, and persevere. Guys like Sen'Derrick Marks come from NO WHERE (nobody wanted him) to dominate. Pat Sims grew up as a man before he put it on the field. There just seems to be an ability to see potential that others don't see (as opposed to highly rated guys that don't pan out), to work guys hard even when it pushes them (Sims and others), and to demand that they grow up off the field (Blackmon is a great example of that) before giving them the chance to play.

I'm not sure how to define that, but it's the difference in the two teams. Bama has talent. I just wouldn't trade a less talented guy that earned a spot at Auburn for a more talented guy playing the same spot at Bama. One knows how to sacrifice, work, and WIN. The other... who know?

Sigh, why do you always say that Alabama is recruiting lights out each year just to turn around after another bad season and say the exact opposite thing??? Jesus...This year I will give you credit, Alabama is going to have a good recruiting class. The thing about recruiting is that it doesnt mean squat once you get to school. You have to have a good program that makes forces players act like adults on and off the field or leave. If you don't, then all the talent in the world will mean nothing. I think Alabama's main problem is just that. Saban lost control of the team near the end of this season, if it continues get used to 6 - 6 seasons.

Andre Smith, Prince Hall, Juwan Simpson, Freddie Roach, Brandon Deaderick, Bobby Greenwood, Brandon Faney

None of those are DTs and the only two LBs in that list are two who are no longer on the team. And neither were that highly touted. Juwan was an average LB over his tenure. Freddie was good though.

We had NOTHING in terms of DT or LB talent this year...thus evidenced by the true frosh starting at MLB over Prince Hall.

The problem has never been talent at UAT. That is total bs if they say otherwise. Problem is that UAT had not had a decent coach since Billy Curry. :lol:

I'll just put it like this. MSU doesn't have 20 guys that could've gotten scholarship offers at Bama, but they're a better team. If you went player by player, State has very few guys you'd take over Bama's. You'll never convince me MSU is deeper. But the difference is the unheralded guy that gets better and better and works for it (Titus Brown, Ducre, etc.).

Also, you're crazy if you think Prince Hall is talent-less. Lacks discipline? maybe so, but he's got the skill to play. And let's not pretend like he just got brushed aside for the season. He started the Auburn game and played a lot this year. If I had the desire to dig, I'd go back and find all the posts bragging about him in the same breathless way as Andre Smith last season. Hall was great as a freshman. He's got talent.

I'll just put it like this. MSU doesn't have 20 guys that could've gotten scholarship offers at Bama, but they're a better team. If you went player by player, State has very few guys you'd take over Bama's. You'll never convince me MSU is deeper. But the difference is the unheralded guy that gets better and better and works for it (Titus Brown, Ducre, etc.).

Also, you're crazy if you think Prince Hall is talent-less. Lacks discipline? maybe so, but he's got the skill to play. And let's not pretend like he just got brushed aside for the season. He started the Auburn game and played a lot this year. If I had the desire to dig, I'd go back and find all the posts bragging about him in the same breathless way as Andre Smith last season. Hall was great as a freshman. He's got talent.

Prince Hall does have talent. But he's not an all-star. He's a good, not great LB (just like his 3 star rating out of high school would indicate). And he's one of the guys who has an attitude problem. He played about half the year. With a true Freshman getting most of the reps. He may have started the Auburn game, but Rolo played more. And our other LBs are a walk on in Darren Mustin who was hurt for 3-4 games this year, and Zeke Knight...who is playing his first REAL year of defense after switching from WR. And he was hurt since the UT game.

Top to bottom, we have more talent than MSU. But they have a better Oline and Dline. And probably better linebackers.

And no, I'm not saying lack of talent is the excuse for every loss. I just answered link's question. Because it's not like Auburn has less talent than MSU either. Sometimes you just lose games.

The MSU and ULM losses had very little to do with talent...and a lot to do with mental makeup of our players, and a handful of guys who don't "get it."

The two years that Fran was here, he recruited horribly.

I stopped reading the post after that statement. You have to see through the excuses that the UAT nation spews forth.

Fran might not of had much influence on the 2001 class, but there was some talent there.

Big Names of the 2001

Brodie Croyle

J.B. Closner

Roman Harper

Clint Johnston

Charlie Peprah

Freddie Roach

Big Names of 2002 class

Ken Darby

Juwan Simpson

Ramzee Robinson

Derick Pope

DeMeco Ryans

2003 class, again you can dispute how much influence Fran had on these recruits.

LeRon McClain

Chris Capps

Tyron Prothro

Matt Caddell

Tim Castille

I am no NFL scout, but there were a few starters in there.

The MSU and ULM losses had very little to do with talent...and a lot to do with mental makeup of our players, and a handful of guys who don't "get it."

Y'all don't realize how frustrating it is to read this stuff. Yes, mental makeup of the players and some players just not buying in - BUT ALSO A LACK OF COMPETENCE ON THE COACHES PART. I'm sorry, just like Charlie Weis gets no forgiveness for going 3-9, Saban gets none for losing to ULM. Have you or any other Bama fan on this board ever typed those words? Saban didn't do his job that day. I'm not going to sit here and point at every mistake Bama made all season and blame it on Saban, but there is absolutely zero tolerance for an SEC school to lose to a mediocre Sun Belt team.

Ian Rapoport has the answer for you.

Doesn't leadership start at the very top? <_<

Alabama football team hurt by lack of commitment, leadership in Nick Saban's first year

Friday, December 07, 2007

IAN R. RAPOPORT

News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - Even before Darren Mustin was named a permanent captain of the Alabama football team, he took everything that happened personally. Yet, his new role gives the senior linebacker added perspective.

When prominent players recently voiced their frustrations that not everyone bought into the lessons taught by coach Nick Saban, Mustin felt responsible.

"It makes me extremely mad because I feel like I didn't do my job to instill that into them," Mustin said. "I'm to blame because I didn't lead them where they need to go."

A new coaching staff and a new system was supposed to lead to new results. Instead, it was another 6-6 regular season, another November tumble, and another berth in the PetroSun Independence Bowl.

Players said that as the season wore on, the number of teammates who believed what Saban was preaching increased. The ones who did, saw success.

"(But there are) some people out there that just do not care, and they will not care," Mustin said. "Those are the type of weeds that you have to pull out. You regrow and you rebirth."

Following a sixth consecutive Iron Bowl loss, seniors Wallace Gilberry, DJ Hall and others publicly discussed the faction of players who consistently did not do what was asked of them.

Whether it was going to class or showing up on time to football-related responsibilities or participating in off-the-field personal programs or paying attention to detail, some of the older players simply did not heed Saban.

Note the fact that two juniors - safety Rashad Johnson and offensive lineman Antoine Caldwell - were named as permanent captains alongside Mustin. At times, Saban practically begged for senior leadership, though the choice was not his.

Glad to see that you're back, BG. Care to address this now: http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43914 ?

Y'all don't realize how frustrating it is to read this stuff. Yes, mental makeup of the players and some players just not buying in - BUT ALSO A LACK OF COMPETENCE ON THE COACHES PART. I'm sorry, just like Charlie Weis gets no forgiveness for going 3-9, Saban gets none for losing to ULM. Have you or any other Bama fan on this board ever typed those words? Saban didn't do his job that day. I'm not going to sit here and point at every mistake Bama made all season and blame it on Saban, but there is absolutely zero tolerance for an SEC school to lose to a mediocre Sun Belt team.

You're right. I said after the ULM loss, that it was on Coach Saban. It's his job to get them ready regardless.

Glad to see that you're back, BG. Care to address this now: http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43914 ?

Well, everything I said was accurate except for the 7-5 part.

That is, unless you guys think this year's team is worse than last year's. Which is a joke. The records are the same, but the SOS is not comparable. 9th vs 58th...we got a win against Duke last year where we had to play FSU this year, on the road.

We were 2-6 last year in the SEC, we went 4-4 this year with wins over Arkansas and Kentucky.

I don't understand why you guys get all upset when we don't agree with you that our 2 time conference champion and 1 time national champion coach is crappy.

Just like everything else...you all look for these things that aren't there. Nick Saban is a good coach. Nick Saban is a world class recruiter. You aren't going to get me to admit otherwise. Especially not with one season that was a break from his norm. It's not like he has a college career full of 6-6 seasons. But you all try to act like the 6-6 season is what we should expect from nick saban...just like you think the last 5 years are indicative of what Alabama football REALLY is, in spite of 120 years to the counter.

Fair enough, BG.

I was just curious because I read one thread on TideFans where several posters talk about how Shula has killed them for "years" and I am like...what?

You're right. I said after the ULM loss, that it was on Coach Saban. It's his job to get them ready regardless.

That is, unless you guys think this year's team is worse than last year's. Which is a joke. The records are the same, but the SOS is not comparable. 9th vs 58th...we got a win against Duke last year where we had to play FSU this year, on the road.

We were 2-6 last year in the SEC, we went 4-4 this year with wins over Arkansas and Kentucky.

Really? I must have missed uat's "victory" over Kentucky............

I don't understand why you guys get all upset when we don't agree with you that our 2 time conference champion and 1 time national champion coach is crappy.

Just like everything else...you all look for these things that aren't there. Nick Saban is a good coach. Nick Saban is a world class recruiter. You aren't going to get me to admit otherwise. Especially not with one season that was a break from his norm. It's not like he has a college career full of 6-6 seasons. But you all try to act like the 6-6 season is what we should expect from nick saban...just like you think the last 5 years are indicative of what Alabama football REALLY is, in spite of 120 years to the counter.

Maybe Bama should have just waited another couple years to hire Saban, and saved a few million, since it's obvious that he had NO chance of doing anything with Shula's players. I mean, what was Bama thinking paying this guy so early... :roflol:

showtopic=43914]http://www.aunation.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=43914[/url] ?

Really? I must have missed uat's "victory" over Kentucky............

they definitely didn't lose to them!! congrats, bg, on your pretend victory! :roflol:

You mean Bama's Football Program was synonymous with excellence from the days of Ivy League dominance to 2003? Use hyperbole much? They're not getting under your skin, are they BG? ;)

You mean Bama's Football Program was synonymous with excellence from the days of Ivy League dominance to 2003? Use hyperbole much? They're not getting under your skin, are they BG? ;)

Nah, the truth just hurts.

I want him to address the SEC title and MNC run they were supposed to have this year. That's all we heard about coming off of 05'. Nothing less should be expected with the talent Shula has coming in. He recruits lights out........ B)

I want him to address the SEC title and MNC run they were supposed to have this year. That's all we heard about coming off of 05'. Nothing less should be expected with the talent Shula has coming in. He recruits lights out........

Why should I have to address those comments from other Bama fans, anymore than you should those AU fans who predicted an SEC title this year?

Don't act like the overwhelming majority of Bama fans were predicting an MNC this year. Because they weren't.

Archived