Why did Huckabee ' apologize' for Bhutto's murder ?

AURaptor

Mike Huckabee strode out and addressed the Bhutto situation, expressing “our sincere concern and apologies for what has happened in Pakistan.”

Mike Huckabee strode out and addressed the Bhutto situation, expressing “our sincere concern and apologies for what has happened in Pakistan.”

Maybe he knows something.

Do you think it was wrong for him to do that?

His team later said that Huckabee meant to say sympathies rather than apologies. I can see that happening. I don't, however, think that Huckabee knows enough about foreign matters to make a wise leader. He strikes me as a Jimmy Carter kind of guy — someone who can't imagine anyone else being actually evil or unreasonable.

Well, in Carter's case, anyone who is Republican or conservative is both evil and unreasonable but Hugo Chavez, Fidel Castro, and Mugabe of South Africa are just plain fine folks.

Sorry, just read the Time article.

Excuse me, but would someone please tell me how in the name of Pakistani national security, we were supposed to provide protection? The last time I checked, other nations frowned on the United States telling them what to do, especially when they have jihadists camped at their front door. And for the Americans to actually provide protection to a governing leader's opponent? The United Nations, the Red Cross, Amnesty International, and freedom-loving Americans would be all over that one.

If we consign some of the blame Musharrif, I would whole-heartedly agree. He is trying to stay in power by any means necessary. I would not be surprise if bin Laden — if still alive — is safely ensconced somewhere in the Pakistani Presidential palace. But it is a little much to blame Bush or the Americans on this tragedy. I know, let's actually blame the assassin who killed these poor people as well as the sovereign government of Pakistan.

And for the Americans to actually provide protection to a governing leader's opponent? The United Nations, the Red Cross, Amnesty International, and freedom-loving Americans would be all over that one.

Sorry to be a pain, but Bhutto was on our side. She was killed by Al-Queda, fighting for democracy in her country. We send protection for Israel and other leaders. I agree we are in no way to blame, just trying to answer the question. But she was on our side.

It is not a question if Bhutto was on our side. I know that. It is a matter of national sovereignty for Pakistan. There is a limit to how much we can provide protection for an opponent for a sitting power.

I am deeply dismayed by her assassination.

It is not a question if Bhutto was on our side. I know that. It is a matter of national sovereignty for Pakistan. There is a limit to how much we can provide protection for an opponent for a sitting power.

I am deeply dismayed by her assassination.

Deeply ? An attempt had already been made on her life. One that we know of, along w/ a number of threats. And yet she refused to stay out of the public arena. It's tragic, yes, but not a complete surprise.

And for the Americans to actually provide protection to a governing leader's opponent? The United Nations, the Red Cross, Amnesty International, and freedom-loving Americans would be all over that one.

Sorry to be a pain, but Bhutto was on our side. She was killed by Al-Queda, fighting for democracy in her country. We send protection for Israel and other leaders. I agree we are in no way to blame, just trying to answer the question. But she was on our side.

We send Israel protection in the form of major military hardware, to protect it from nations attacking it. We don't specifically protect individuals. The Israelis do that on their own. I know of no other leaders which the US takes control of their security service.

Huckabee is a lightweight, the flavor of the month. By July, people will be saying "Huckwhat?"

Huckleberry.

23031957.jpg

Thats the flavor of the month.

Huckabee is a lightweight, the flavor of the month. By July, people will be saying "Huckwhat?"

I think you are right and in the end I think John McCain will be the Republican candidate.

I also thought Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson would have shown better than they have.

On the dim side I still think we could see a Clinton/Obama ticket.

I said I was deeply dismayed. I did not say I was surprised.

I keep having the feeling of deja vu. When Sadat was assassinated, everyone I worked with was "Yeah, okay, no big deal." It was a huge deal then and put the peace process back decades. This will put the likelihood of calm in the Middle East and Asia even further back.

Sorry, I am AU Mom at home.

I keep having the feeling of deja vu. When Sadat was assassinated, everyone I worked with was "Yeah, okay, no big deal." It was a huge deal then and put the peace process back decades. This will put the likelihood of calm in the Middle East and Asia even further back.

Welcome to AUNation and the Politically Speaking forum AUWriter. Hope you enjoy posting here.

I have yet to see anything of substance to get me to vote for Huckabee.

I agree with you. I think this is a lose for the US when it comes to a better government for Pakinstan. Bhutto has fought for democracy and continued to do so even ater the threats and attacks were made.

On a side note, Huckabee's camp said that he meant to say he gives sympathies and is sorry for their loss, not that he is sorry.

Archived