Is CRR brain dead?

AU alum

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3220305

In an act of good faith, former West Virginia football coach Rich Rodriguez has offered to pay the school $1.5 million to buy out the final six years of his contract, according to a letter of credit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Clarksburg, W.Va.

Rich Rodriguez's split from his alma mater has opened many wounds in West Virginia. Both sides have suffered irreparable damage in the proceedings, writes Mark Schlabach. Story

Rodriguez, who was hired as Michigan's coach on Dec. 16, filed the letter of credit "in the spirit of compromise and as an act of good faith to assure West Virginia University that if this Honorable Court makes an award against Defendant, said monies will be paid," according to the court filing.

Tom Flaherty, an attorney representing the university, said WVU "has no interest in resolving this for $1.5 million."

"The university has lived up to all its obligations under the contract, and the university expects him to live up to the $4 million that is owed," Flaherty said.

Marv Robon, one of Rodriguez's Ohio-based attorneys, said a judge will ultimately decide how much, if anything, Rodriguez owes his former school. Robon said he is prepared to file a response to the university's lawsuit by Monday's deadline. Robon said he requested an extension to file the response -- beyond the Feb. 6 national signing day for college football to avoid negative publicity for both sides -- but West Virginia's attorneys declined the request.

Michigan's new coach was sued by WVU to collect on a $4 million buyout clause. The sides are trying to settle out of court, sources said.

"When I file something, I'm going to hurt them and I don't want to," Robon said. "I have no ax to grind with that university, but I have to protect the interests of Rich and his wife Rita. The other side is so hell bent on what they want to do -- a burning-the-bridges kind of thing."

WVU sued Rodriguez last month to collect on a $4 million buyout clause in the contract he signed Aug. 24. Rodriguez's attorneys have disputed the coach owes his former school that much. Rodriguez claims he was pressured into signing a one-year extension at West Virginia and claims university president Mike Garrison promised to lower the amount of his buyout.

"The perception is the coach is trying to get out of this and not pay West Virginia anything," said Ethan Davis, another one of Rodriguez's attorneys. "We're certainly willing to pay something, but the $4 million is absolutely oppressive and unfair."

In the latest court filing, Rodriguez's attorneys wrote: "The amount of the Letter of Credit is equal to the maximum liquidated damages provision [penalty] at the date of termination provided in the first amendment to the original Employment Agreement. In any event, the amount of the letter of credit exceeds the first payment that Plaintiff claims is due."

Former Mountaineers basketball coach John Beilein, who was hired as Michigan's coach last April, paid West Virginia $1.5 million to buy out the final five years of his contract. The amount was $1 million less than the penalty called for in Beilein's contract, which ran through the 2012 season.

I think everyone is wondering why Michigan isn't paying this. I do know however, if the court rules in favor of CRR, the already spinnng coaching turnstyle in college football will take off like a helicopter.

WVU sued Rodriguez last month to collect on a $4 million buyout clause in the contract he signed Aug. 24. Rodriguez's attorneys have disputed the coach owes his former school that much. Rodriguez claims he was pressured into signing a one-year extension at West Virginia and claims university president Mike Garrison promised to lower the amount of his buyout. Promises, promises--he said, (s)he said..what does the signed contract say?

"The perception is the coach is trying to get out of this and not pay West Virginia anything," said Ethan Davis, another one of Rodriguez's attorneys. "We're certainly willing to pay something, but the $4 million is absolutely oppressive and unfair."

In the latest court filing, Rodriguez's attorneys wrote: "The amount of the Letter of Credit is equal to the maximum liquidated damages provision [penalty] at the date of termination provided in the first amendment to the original Employment Agreement. In any event, the amount of the letter of credit exceeds the first payment that Plaintiff claims is due." Okay, I'm lost. What the heck does this mean? ..other than some more lawyers making a living by eschewing simple English (with apologies to our AUN barristers)

Former Mountaineers basketball coach John Beilein, who was hired as Michigan's coach last April, paid West Virginia $1.5 million to buy out the final five years of his contract. The amount was $1 million less than the penalty called for in Beilein's contract, which ran through the 2012 season. I'd say this weakens WVU's case

Still don't understand why Michigan is not paying this. They want the coach, but not enough to pay the full cost of getting him....only part of it????

Meanwhile, instead of recruiting and coaching, he is busy with this foolishness.

Still don't understand why Michigan is not paying this. They want the coach, but not enough to pay the full cost of getting him....only part of it????

Meanwhile, instead of recruiting and coaching, he is busy with this foolishness.

Big Blue didn't have a thing to do with signing that contract with WVU. This is all CRR's problem and UM would be wise to stay out of it. He doesn't have to sacrifice recruiting time because his lawyer can handle all the negotiations. Offering to pay $1.5M as a "good faith" gesture doesn't sound like a good bargaining position to me, but maybe they see an avenue for compromise.

Michigan should be on the hook since THEY offered Rodriquez the position on their staff. Now, it should be noted that if Rodriquez did lied to Michigan about the amount of buyout, or didn't negotiate it with Michigan when he left WVU, then Rodriquez should have to pay it.

Michigan should be on the hook since THEY offered Rodriquez the position on their staff. Now, it should be noted that if Rodriquez did lied to Michigan about the amount of buyout, or didn't negotiate it with Michigan when he left WVU, then Rodriquez should have to pay it.

i would assume that wherever you are going to would want to see a copy of your contract with the school you are presently at before they gave a final OK on the hiring. or at least i would want to see one if i was talking about hiring someone for that amount of cash.

michigan must be "above" paying buyouts

ps- if any of you are in the haley center right now it sounds like cloverfield is about to tear it down due to the new union construction (god i hate this building).

Archived